Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Philthy posted:

If someone wanted to get 100 doses injected into them in a single day they could, so long as you had 100 walgreens, cvs, etc.

A shot everyday keeps the plague away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Geez. Our shot records are tied to our healthcare ID numbers. They've also made it so you can access your information whenever you want through a website.

Which reminds me, I need to set up my account.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
Long covid is seriously hosed up. I have an aunt that is a nurse and has always been one of those "I must wake up at 5 am and be active all day, every day" types. She has been a runner all her life, and the last time she had a physical, she outran the treadmill on its highest setting during the heart stress-test part. She caught covid prior to the vaccine being available and hasn't had a single day since where she's had enough energy to be out of bed for more than a few hours (she has since been fully vaccinated). Her neighbor helps her put up the grocery delivery when it arrives because it wears her out just to walk from the front door to the fridge. She is a stubborn as hell woman and understands that recovery from a serious illness takes both time and effort, but she says it's like there is no progress in regaining lung and heart function for her. She has woken up on the floor several times, as it only takes walking a few slow steps over a short distance before her O2 level drops enough for her to lose consciousness.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Platystemon posted:

We talked about how part of Japan’s “effort” to discourage hookups is refusing to provide condoms, right?

Oh, they still get 'em, though far fewer, but they're being asked to "bring them back to their home countries." Basically the most Japanese way to say, "please don't gently caress, but we know we can't have Tokyo Village be an outbreak of the clap."

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Long covid is seriously hosed up. I have an aunt that is a nurse and has always been one of those "I must wake up at 5 am and be active all day, every day" types. She has been a runner all her life, and the last time she had a physical, she outran the treadmill on its highest setting during the heart stress-test part. She caught covid prior to the vaccine being available and hasn't had a single day since where she's had enough energy to be out of bed for more than a few hours (she has since been fully vaccinated). Her neighbor helps her put up the grocery delivery when it arrives because it wears her out just to walk from the front door to the fridge. She is a stubborn as hell woman and understands that recovery from a serious illness takes both time and effort, but she says it's like there is no progress in regaining lung and heart function for her. She has woken up on the floor several times, as it only takes walking a few slow steps over a short distance before her O2 level drops enough for her to lose consciousness.

drat that's awful.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I had a very rare coherent thought.

People are talking about N95 masks itt which is fine and good, no one is talking about eye protection and you really should be talking about it. If you want the be using The Good PPE then visors/goggles or even your own eye glasses should really be used in conjunction, hell sunglasses would be ok at this time of year if you want to look cool like.

(U.K. desperately waves hands and screams at America about how transmissible Delta is)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

learnincurve posted:

People were saying the data was wildly different depending on the source and I was wondering if accidents had happened is all.

Yeah about that ....

quote:

New York takes conservative approach counting virus deaths

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — The federal government’s count of the COVID-19 death toll in New York has 11,000 more victims than the tally publicized by the administration of Gov. Andrew Cuomo, which has stuck with a far more conservative approach to counting virus deaths.

The discrepancy in death counts continued to widen this year, according to an Associated Press review, even as the Democrat has come under fire over allegations that his office purposely obscured the number of deaths of nursing home residents to protect his reputation.

New York state’s official death count, presented daily to the public and on the state’s Department of Health website, stood at around 43,000 this week. But the state has provided the federal government with data that shows roughly 54,000 people have died with COVID-19 as a cause or contributing factor listed on their death certificate.

“It’s a little strange,” said Bob Anderson, chief of the Mortality Statistics Branch at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Health Statistics. “They’re providing us with the death certificate information so they have it. I don’t know why they wouldn’t use those numbers.”
(..)
https://apnews.com/article/health-new-york-coronavirus-pandemic-nyc-state-wire-1d0de9f568433dd2e560c30544a2df60

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
So, um, the White Boy Summer / Hot Girl Summer (a.k.a. 2021 summer) is cancelled, then?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Galewolf posted:

So, um, the White Boy Summer / Hot Girl Summer (a.k.a. 2021 summer) is cancelled, then?

Summer Olympics is already struggling
https://twitter.com/HiPeoplebiz/status/1415339880788283400

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
:cripes:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

ArbitraryC posted:

It's amazing how quick even the political will of red vs blue turned when Biden came out in favor of plugging our ears and just marching into it. At least with Trump there was some performative opposition.

I mean the overlap between people who refuse to get the shot and red states is well established at this point, they are just bringing their natural urge and MO of being a death cult to fruition.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Biggest chain of doctors in Derbyshire just made masks mandatory after July 19th.

It’s looking like doctors, dentists, public transport, high street chains and supermarkets are all implementing blanket mask policies.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
It’s kinda scary how easily vaccinated people just chucked their masks after the CDC said it was “safe” to do so. With the whole viral load thing and Delta being more transmissible, I would think masks could at least make some difference even if you are vaccinated?

The idea of walking into any indoor public space maskless still scares the poo poo out of me. I really hope people start paying attention to the numbers, and please god give us some boosters.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

liz posted:

It’s kinda scary how easily vaccinated people just chucked their masks after the CDC said it was “safe” to do so. With the whole viral load thing and Delta being more transmissible, I would think masks could at least make some difference even if you are vaccinated?
Masks still assist in protection, but the problem isn't vaccinated people not wearing masks.

I'll happily walk around maskless in environments where I know everyone else is vaccinated (I went to a small local nerd convention with around 200 all-vaccinated people last weekend!), but I still avoid public places and wear a mask when I absolutely have to go to the store or the doctor or whatever.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

WhiteHowler posted:

Masks still assist in protection, but the problem isn't vaccinated people not wearing masks.

I'll happily walk around maskless in environments where I know everyone else is vaccinated (I went to a small local nerd convention with around 200 all-vaccinated people last weekend!), but I still avoid public places and wear a mask when I absolutely have to go to the store or the doctor or whatever.

Vaccinated people are still catching the Rona. Just with a smaller likelihood, and less severe cases. You can still pass it along to your Trump-loving grandma though, which is extremely embarrassing.

That likelihood goes up when you're mashing your fursuit with 200 other people

My health authority has limited indoor gatherings to 50, vaccinated or not

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What do you do when parts of your country is heading for automatic lockdown during a massive Delta surge? You take further steps to limit spread, reintroduce masks, incentivise the most affected age group to get vaccinated pronto and hope for the best, right?

:wrong:

You go full steam ahead with scrapping the few remaining restrictions AND change the lockdown system to more than triple the allowable incidence.

:denmark:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ante posted:

Vaccinated people are still catching the Rona. Just with a smaller likelihood, and less severe cases. You can still pass it along to your Trump-loving grandma though, which is extremely embarrassing.
Trump-granny has had months to get vaccinated and chose not to. At some point I am no longer responsible for her well-being. Of course, if hypothetical granny were unvaccinated, I wouldn't be visiting her anyway.

That said, I'm self-quarantining for two weeks post-event just to be sure.

quote:

That likelihood goes up when you're mashing your fursuit with 200 other people
Transmission from vaccinated person to vaccinated person appears to be exceedingly rare. Your perception of safety and responsibility may differ, but being around a large-ish crowd of fully-vaccinated people* falls within my current risk profile.

* I'd be more skeptical if it were any other con. This one is small and has a very close-knit community. Aside from the organizers checking vaccination proof for everyone (staff, guests, and attendees), this is not a group of people where anyone's likely to forge a CDC card. The logistics of this particular con also make it unlikely to have contact with any outsiders during the event.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SplitSoul posted:

What do you do when parts of your country is heading for automatic lockdown during a massive Delta surge?

Slams button labelled “give money to weasel abusers”.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

Trump-granny has had months to get vaccinated and chose not to. At some point I am no longer responsible for her well-being. Of course, if hypothetical granny were unvaccinated, I wouldn't be visiting her anyway.

That said, I'm self-quarantining for two weeks post-event just to be sure.

Transmission from vaccinated person to vaccinated person appears to be exceedingly rare. Your perception of safety and responsibility may differ, but being around a large-ish crowd of fully-vaccinated people* falls within my current risk profile.

* I'd be more skeptical if it were any other con. This one is small and has a very close-knit community. Aside from the organizers checking vaccination proof for everyone (staff, guests, and attendees), this is not a group of people where anyone's likely to forge a CDC card. The logistics of this particular con also make it unlikely to have contact with any outsiders during the event.
Now I need to know what this con was. And as far as vaccinated maskless people go. It's all about your local cases. Ours have dropped to average 30-50 a day, so I feel ok not wearing the mask where it isn't required. If ramps up I've got a mask ready to go.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Purgatory Glory posted:

Now I need to know what this con was. And as far as vaccinated maskless people go. It's all about your local cases. Ours have dropped to average 30-50 a day, so I feel ok not wearing the mask where it isn't required. If ramps up I've got a mask ready to go.

Oh, my state is doing terribly with vaccination rates, but so far we haven't seen a big summer surge like some other states. I'm sure it's coming. This particular con was literally out in the woods at a summer camp.

I did keep a mask in my pocket all weekend, mainly in case any uninvited guests showed up. But that's really unlikely at the venue we were at.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

WhiteHowler posted:

There are a lot of unanswered questions about transmission in vaccinated people, but also, the CDC is explicitly not tracking or even counting positive cases in the vaccinated, unless they are hospitalised.

There is however solid evidence of transmissiblity and even the 1/10 superspreaders within the asymptomatic, pre symptomatic and mildly asymptomatic population of the infected. There is no reason to think this is any different within those who are vaccinated and in those same categories.

All the vaccines do provide protection against infection but none are as effective at preventing infection as they are at preventing severe disease and all have somewhat lessened performance against current variants.

So sure, it's your risk profile and decision to make, but the narrative that vaccines work in the manner you describe is specifically not being validated in the US.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
looks like it'll break the previous record in the next week

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1416051802924064776

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

Oh, my state is doing terribly with vaccination rates, but so far we haven't seen a big summer surge like some other states. I'm sure it's coming. This particular con was literally out in the woods at a summer camp.

I did keep a mask in my pocket all weekend, mainly in case any uninvited guests showed up. But that's really unlikely at the venue we were at.

I'm just going to assume that this was the 80th annual meeting of HYDRA or something

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Tbh I have a bridge to sell anyone who believes the person stomping about sweating buckets and coughing when they insist they’ve been vaccinated/tested negative.

I once saw someone covid cough in his mask, pull it down, wipe his mouth then wipe his hand off on a public bench.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Looking forward to another Thanksgiving in which I tell my in-laws "Sorry guys, we're not coming over." and have to hear about how covid is not a big deal.

At least this year I can go have dinner with my vaccinated parents.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Stink Billyums posted:

looks like it'll break the previous record in the next week

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1416051802924064776

New cases are bad bad, but deaths went down a lot, no? That’s… good?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Blitter posted:

There are a lot of unanswered questions about transmission in vaccinated people, but also, the CDC is explicitly not tracking or even counting positive cases in the vaccinated, unless they are hospitalised.

There is however solid evidence of transmissiblity and even the 1/10 superspreaders within the asymptomatic, pre symptomatic and mildly asymptomatic population of the infected. There is no reason to think this is any different within those who are vaccinated and in those same categories.

All the vaccines do provide protection against infection but none are as effective at preventing infection as they are at preventing severe disease and all have somewhat lessened performance against current variants.

So sure, it's your risk profile and decision to make, but the narrative that vaccines work in the manner you describe is specifically not being validated in the US.
Aren't there also a lot of problems with tracking breakthrough asymptomatic/mild cases? As in, it's being done very little or not at all, especially with asymptomatic ones? Seems like that would impair our understanding of how the virus can spread amongst the vaccinated.

Anyway, my county's positivity rate has gone from around 1% to over 3% in the past two weeks, so I'm going to be That Guy with the respirator again.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

New cases are bad bad, but deaths went down a lot, no? That’s… good?

Cases going up because the absolute lunatics in charge have enough Pfizer stockpiled to vaccinate every 12-18 year olds but won’t.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Zugzwang posted:

Aren't there also a lot of problems with tracking breakthrough asymptomatic/mild cases? As in, it's being done very little or not at all, especially with asymptomatic ones? Seems like that would impair our understanding of how the virus can spread amongst the vaccinated.

Anyway, my county's positivity rate has gone from around 1% to over 3% in the past two weeks, so I'm going to be That Guy with the respirator again.

yes, vaccinated transmission "appears* to be** exceedingly*** rare****"

*because our data that we are explicitly not looking for is scanty enough that we can do plausible deniability
**for now
***please define
****don't ask about severity and long covid

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

Cases going up because the absolute lunatics in charge have enough Pfizer stockpiled to vaccinate every 12-18 year olds but won’t.

Next week is going to be an interesting experiment in environmental impact on transmission because basically the whole country is going to be hot and sunny but the pubs will all be open. It's effectively a re-run of last September except starting from a much, much higher baseline.

I'm also assuming that they're going to try and rush through jabs for kids as the 18+ cohort winds down in August (we're still *just about* on course for >90% of 18+ both-dosed by end of August, which will actually be a bit ahead of schedule) to try and get as many as possible at least single-dosed before the schools go back.

TBH I can't actually disagree with the strategy if that's what they're going to do - if they were making loud plans about jabbing kids right now it would rile everyone up just as we're entering the home straight of the adult scheme.

I also strongly suspect that we're going to see boosters from September onwards just because the RVS have been asking volunteers if they're likely to be available into the autumn and winter - we may be a bunch of wallies in hi-viz but there's quite a lot of sites that just couldn't function without us, and the lack of crowd control (and babysitting the 15 minute period after Pfizer) would probably cause a lot of the mid-sized centres to have to close.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Strep Vote posted:

yes, vaccinated transmission "appears* to be** exceedingly*** rare****"

*because our data that we are explicitly not looking for is scanty enough that we can do plausible deniability
**for now
***please define
****don't ask about severity and long covid

We're all gonna die with covid (not from covid) ;)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm just going to assume that this was the 80th annual meeting of HYDRA or something

I wish! They keep rejecting my application.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

Colonel Cancer posted:

We're all gonna die with covid (not from covid) ;)

I thought we were supposed to be living with covid
Have j been doing this wrong

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Platystemon posted:

Slams button labelled “give money to weasel abusers”.

We did that and are all out of ideas.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Just got the Jansen vaccine here in Ireland right as case numbers surge to a level that will likely mean another lockdown.

Could not be more grateful.

Have any goons had beers the day of vaccination?

The temptation is strong.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Just got the Jansen vaccine here in Ireland right as case numbers surge to a level that will likely mean another lockdown.

Several of us. Effect on efficacy is unknown so yolo if you'd like.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

ghouldaddy07 posted:

I did for the first one, didn't seem to do any harm. The second one, I could barely drink water, let alone toss back a beer.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im getting COVID today

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

im getting COVID today
Already beaten you, pal.

🥲

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Wups I meant 2nd covid vaccine

Astro boy here