Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Captain Kirk doesn’t really gently caress that often either, though he’s not really opposed to it and flirts with teenagers a few times. The sexual politics of the show are the one aspect that really hasn’t aged well, although the colorblindness approach to solving racism that pops up a few times isn’t great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Kirk is too busy loving Spock off camera.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Captain Kirk doesn’t really gently caress that often either, though he’s not really opposed to it and flirts with teenagers a few times. The sexual politics of the show are the one aspect that really hasn’t aged well, although the colorblindness approach to solving racism that pops up a few times isn’t great.

Abraham Lincoln calling Uhura the n-word and her not caring because in the future “they no longer fear words” is probably one of the top 3 most awkward moments in that show.

Between that and a similar line in Arthur C Clarke’s Childhood’s End, you get the sense that white people in the time were really holding on to hope that “they will LET us use that word eventually!”

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
There's also the often celebrated kiss between Kirk and Uhura, but the circumstances around it are completely hosed up. It's nonconsensual as they're both being forced into it by the aliens who used to be the Greek gods, and like 10 seconds later Kirk is literally cracking a whip at Uhura.

That said TOS is probably still my favorite overall Trek series because it was the first one I saw and it's an insane blend of psychedelic set design being used to promote color TV, extremely dated progressivism that nonetheless was a huge step forward for primetime 60s television, and plots that range from utter nonsense to episodes penned by big name authors like Harlan Ellison and Joseph Haldeman.

Deep Space Nine is my second favorite and probably the best Trek series, but in part that is because it can build on TOS and especially TNG. The static location, centered on a point of galactic conflict, lets it take all the high-minded speeches of TOS and TNG and see how the Federation actually interacts with other civilizations and continuing problems over the span of several years versus the Enterprise zooming off to the next opportunity for pontification every week. And while every Trek has its silly episodes, DS9 was also much more willing to embrace the campiness of TOS. It brought back the mirror universe so everyone can play horny sociopathic versions of their characters, had time travel to 20th and 21st century earth, even had an episode set during a classic TOS episode for the 30th anniversary. Plus you get amazing scenes like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VhSm6G7cVk

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Eh the idea was the the word and it’s history was so far in the past they don’t even recognize it.
Which tracks with the yptopian nature of early trek

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: Garak and Bashir.

I always saw it as they were a gay couple. And all the behind the scenes stuff about the studio, or whoever, fighting tooth and nail against them being a couple was very much like Xena and Gabrielle.

Insomuch as to the actors, the writers, the audience, and to all intents and purposes they were gay, but because they stopped JUST short of them looking into camera and saying "we are a loving homosexual couple" before tongue kissing, the homophobes/prudes/conservative bean counters at the studio could realistically claim that they weren't gay, just good friends.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So.....Ziyal and Ezri were beards? Makes sense.

Actually holy poo poo that makes the Ziyal Garak relationship better. Garak is doing it a. For cover and b. To really stick it to his archenemy Dukat. Ziyal clearly has love for Kira so she's bearding and also as a subconscious F you to her deadbeat Dad

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Unkempt posted:

Watch TOS. There's a reason why people are still making Trek 50 years later, and it's because TOS was good.

Fry misremembered. The three words are actually "Let me help."

City on the Edge of Forever posted:

EDITH: And you don't want to talk about it? Why? Did you do something wrong? Are you afraid of something? Whatever it is, let me help.

KIRK: Let me help. A hundred years or so from now, I believe, a famous novelist will write a classic using that theme. He'll recommend those three words even over I love you.
It's better than Fry remembered.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

AceOfFlames posted:

Abraham Lincoln calling Uhura the n-word and her not caring because in the future “they no longer fear words” is probably one of the top 3 most awkward moments in that show.

The word used for Uhura in that scene was not the N-word, but the female version of the polite word of the time. It is considered offensive now, but this was not the case in the 60s. MLK used the male variant in his "Dream" speech to refer to himself.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Biggest problem with TOS is that people who haven't watched it in years/at all have Very Strong Opinions on things they think they remember about it. At the mild end of that, you have people who think Kirk was shagging his way across the galaxy. At the worst end, you have the people complaining that original Trek never had all this woke stuff in it.

Yeah.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Riker is the real Trek horndog.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

Biggest problem with TOS is that people who haven't watched it in years/at all have Very Strong Opinions on things they think they remember about it. At the mild end of that, you have people who think Kirk was shagging his way across the galaxy. At the worst end, you have the people complaining that original Trek never had all this woke stuff in it.

Yeah.

That episode is another dumb colorblind thing where everybody criticizes the guy from the oppressed culture for hating his oppressor and explains that his hatred makes him just as bad as the people who enslaved and genocided his people.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Unkempt posted:

Watch TOS. There's a reason why people are still making Trek 50 years later, and it's because TOS was good.

I find it ironic that the Second Doctor is telling me this.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I didn't see many mirror universe episodes as I only watched TNG all the way through, but I looked it up and it seemed more interesting than I gave it credit for. I always just assumed it was "Evil bearded universe" because of the stereotype, but there's more to it than that - it's a for want of a nail situation. It all comes down to first contact. In OUR universe, first contact with a vulcan ship went reasonably well and an alliance was formed and they helped us get to space. In the mirror universe the original enterprise panicked and blew the vulcan ship out of the sky, triggering a war. A war that earth somehow won, probably because we are bigger bastards than the Vulcans, so Vulcan fell to Earth, got totally subjugated and that started us down a more warlike mindset. Then we kind of expanded our empire, it started bumping up against Klingon space and things got... complicated.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Captain Kirk doesn’t really gently caress that often either, though he’s not really opposed to it and flirts with teenagers a few times.

kirk's interesting because he's definitely 1960s-coded as someone who fucks and pretty much all of the older generation of fans understood it implicitly even tho the material superficially doesn't support it, at least overtly, but nowadays a lot of that coding will go over people's heads because the world has changed enough in these 50+ years to render the subtext both insensible and, frankly, unnecessary... meaning if you just take the material literally w/o considering the prevailing cultural context that TOS was produced in, as many would nowadays, kirk in his original form is pretty darn tame

going forward, i can see how it would be a challenge to modernize the character for contemporary adaptations, do you stick to a literal interpretation of the TOS material or do you make its subtext, well, just plain text in your new adaptation

interesting stuff to think about since it ties into/relates to the current discussion of how other shows would have to code lgb characters to make them prime-time tv friendly

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/joesondow/status/1415661391348781057?s=21

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

What's the "he who fucks" subtext? I've never watched star trek

lol

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
"This can be a little complicated" "Oh, like the time you accidentally fell in love with an idealised AI version of a scientist, only for things to get SUPER awkward when the real scientist went to the holodeck and found the program?" "Uhhh... ask Riker..."

I kind of liked though that the scientist kind of got it by the end. Like, she wasn't happy about it, but she understood how it had happened and that it wasn't a deliberate wank fantasy.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

BioEnchanted posted:

"This can be a little complicated" "Oh, like the time you accidentally fell in love with an idealised AI version of a scientist, only for things to get SUPER awkward when the real scientist went to the holodeck and found the program?" "Uhhh... ask Riker..."

I kind of liked though that the scientist kind of got it by the end. Like, she wasn't happy about it, but she understood how it had happened and that it wasn't a deliberate wank fantasy.

Hey, I gotta grant at least Geordi waving off trying to teach appropriate romantic/sexual behavior to someone as showing some self awareness. At least he had the courtesy not to mess the poor android up too.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Gnoman posted:

The word used for Uhura in that scene was not the N-word, but the female version of the polite word of the time.

Yeah, I was considering even calling it "the OTHER n-word" or the "polite n-word" but I am not an American so I was not 100% sure how to approach the subject. It's still awkward.

You can tell that ep was well intentioned but it also fell hard into "both sides are bad". Hell of an effective ending though.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 10:04 on Jul 16, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
DS9 probably has a much better take on racism and colonial and imperial themes and harms with the whole Cardassian dealio.

Think of most of Gul Dukat's big rants about Bajorans, and then realise how many of those are right at Sisko.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
"British comedy has not aged well" should not really be news to anybody, but jesus christ Harry Enfield was a vile little poo poo without the slightest redeeming feature, wasn't he

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i4rgxOi73c

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Whybird posted:

"British comedy has not aged well" should not really be news to anybody, but jesus christ Harry Enfield was a vile little poo poo without the slightest redeeming feature, wasn't he

So much of their comedy is punching up. For a nation that brought the world Monty Python so few UK comedians really understood the fundamentals of great comedy instead choosing to slag off "different" people and wear drag close to scream in high pitched voices.

The way the BBC works to produce shows doesn't help, as there's very little money involved so its all at the whims of whatever old exec decides is the new hot thing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tory Boy was pretty good.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Whybird posted:

I watched this and kept waiting for any sort of punchline or attempt at humour, but there just... weren't any. Just three minutes of "wow I sure hate women". :psyduck:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Perestroika posted:

I watched this and kept waiting for any sort of punchline or attempt at humour, but there just... weren't any. Just three minutes of "wow I sure hate women". :psyduck:

As a very weak defence, the type of person he’s parodying there very much exists. (I’ve known several) I’d like to think he’s specifically mocking a particular class of rich white woman, but tbh the whole thing does just come off as misogynistic outside of greater context.

Also I’m not going to die on the hill of Harry ‘loving’ Enfield.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Of course your humor doesn’t age well when its basis is “man wears dress.”

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Harry Enfield hasn't been funny for 30 years. I don't know why anyone is suddenly finding this surprising.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Little Britain is similar in that I remember hearing it was amazing and the best British sketch show in ages but when I finally watched it it was all jokes about poor people and disabled people and immigrants.

Honestly it was one of the most mean-spirited, bullying, conservative comedies i've seen and the amount of goodwill they get is baffling.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Segue posted:

Little Britain is similar in that I remember hearing it was amazing and the best British sketch show in ages but when I finally watched it it was all jokes about poor people and disabled people and immigrants.

Honestly it was one of the most mean-spirited, bullying, conservative comedies i've seen and the amount of goodwill they get is baffling.

Little Britain wasn't just all jokes about poor people and disabled people and immigrants, it was the exact same joke about poor people and disabled people and immigrants every single week and the punchline was usually simply that these people exist. One of the most horrible TV shows I've seen and I hesitate to even say it's poorly aged because even as a 13 year old with no particular great understanding of the world seeing it when it first aired, I thought it was mean spirited.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Little Britain wasn't just all jokes about poor people and disabled people and immigrants, it was the exact same joke about poor people and disabled people and immigrants every single week and the punchline was usually simply that these people exist. One of the most horrible TV shows I've seen and I hesitate to even say it's poorly aged because even as a 13 year old with no particular great understanding of the world seeing it when it first aired, I thought it was mean spirited.

I was given a DVD of the first season as a gift once, and only made it part-way through the first episode. It had the feel of watching a sketch comedy show that's long since degenerated to a series of repeated catchphrases where any actual wit or creativity has long since vanished - except, as I said, it was just the first episode. I suppose it takes an odd sort of skill to make a viewer sick of a running gag in its very first appearance.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I didn't watch Little Britain when it originally aired, but about a decade ago I dated a girl who really loved it so we watched the first season together. She was not pleased when I said I hated it

I do like the video for I'm With Stupid where Walliams and Lucas are holding the Pet Shop Boys captive and perform the song to them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HEhDbp5-Hg

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Little Britain had one or two great ideas, but they were lost in a sea of terrible filler. I think the main problem was that it often failed to see how their best sketches were based on bizarre character traits being the punchline, rather than the character existing in the first place.

Lou and Andy would be a good example. There's a great joke hiding in the idea of one being manipulative to the point of very obviously faking immobility, and the other being an enabler who lets it go on. The joke isn't on disabled people existing, it's that someone would be so opportunistic to fake a disability. Like parking-in-the-handicapped-spot taken to its extreme.

Likewise, the computer-says-no lady and medieval hotel guy are pretty funny because it's not punching down - it's about bizarre characters who are clearly unfit for their job but force you to interact with them any way. But they get lost in a sea of lazy stereotypes and ultimately it all goes down the drain of telling the same joke over and over again.

It feels like a show that peaks at sloppy first draft. In a just world, something like That Mitchell And Webb Look would have been international success story.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Lou and Andy would be a good example. There's a great joke hiding in the idea of one being manipulative to the point of very obviously faking immobility, and the other being an enabler who lets it go on. The joke isn't on disabled people existing, it's that someone would be so opportunistic to fake a disability. Like parking-in-the-handicapped-spot taken to its extreme.
It was really hard for me not to view those sketches as appealing specifically to the "our country is giving too much welfare to lazy wankers who are probably faking it anyway" type attitudes, along with stuff like the Only Gay in the Village guy (which is basically "I don't hate the gays, I just wish they weren't so loud and annoying about it" in sketch form). I didn't even remember they did a bunch of blackface but I might have quit early enough to avoid it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Martman posted:

stuff like the Only Gay in the Village guy (which is basically "I don't hate the gays, I just wish they weren't so loud and annoying about it" in sketch form).

Not to mention a bunch of those sketches also had that guy actively rejecting or pushing away other gay people just so he could continue victimizing himself and bemoaning his status as The Only Gay In The Village, which plows straight into the even worse stereotype of “Minority groups only want attention to feed their victim complex”

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 14:55 on Jul 16, 2021

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
They also have a ‘laughing at trans women’ thing, there’s barely anything of value in that show these days.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I don't care much for Little Britain, but I'm fairly sure that Matt loving Lucas isn't telling gays to stay in the closet and be invisible

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Torquemada posted:

They also have a ‘laughing at trans women’ thing, there’s barely anything of value in that show these days.

This describes all media made before like 2013 though.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I watched this 90s documentary about child actors from the earliest stars to the modern day and there are a whole bunch of movies I can't see the same way again.

There are a lot of :gonk: stories but two that come to my mind was how Jackie Cooper often had trouble crying on cue, which was a problem because he was known as "The Crying Kid" and directors were expected to have him cry in at least a couple scenes per movie to bring the audiences in. One time the director had the security guard take Cooper's (age less than 10) dog behind a building and pretend to shoot it, then they shot the scene with him crying about his dead dog. For another extremely young star who wouldn't cry, they took her aside and told her that the family depends on her and would become homeless if she didn't do it.

Another is child actor Bill Mumy who was fidgeting during filming of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. He says a sweaty, heavy-breathing Hitchcock walked up to him and whispered in his ear, "I am going to get a nail and nail your feet to the mark, and the blood will come pouring out like milk".

There are some heartbreaking scenes where they gather a bunch of former child actors to discuss their experiences and its like a trauma support group, many of them cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5U8s9eiLYU

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 15:14 on Jul 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bitterandtwisted posted:

I don't care much for Little Britain, but I'm fairly sure that Matt loving Lucas isn't telling gays to stay in the closet and be invisible

Really? Because his sketch show certainly gives that impression.