Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
So I got a big dumb golf question:

I'm at the point where you're supposed to do the XC golf course but I have no idea how to pitch my shots so they go high up and that seems to be critical for some of these holes that traverse multiple ridge lines.

I did some googling and apparently there's a lob wedge you can get?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I'm at the point where you're supposed to do the XC golf course but I have no idea how to pitch my shots so they go high up and that seems to be critical for some of these holes that traverse multiple ridge lines.

You can curve shots up by holding up during the phase where you set curve. I didn't know about this when I did that part though. I just used the whirlwinds to get my balls around.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
this thread is like gamefaqs but for middle aged people defending nintendo lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
gently caress you im not 38

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, at that weight the Fat Switch better be, or the thing would be a farce instead of just situational useful. :v:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Lob wedge is like a different thing entirely and not really related to the part of story mode that you're in. Just make sure you're using a high arcing club (wedge/iron) and hold up (if you didn't change the controls) on the stick after you select your power.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Foul Fowl posted:

Nintendo ftw, I'm afraid.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If you’re smart and track sales then you can get a lot of stuff on Switch for Steam sale like prices.

Foul Fowl posted:

Gamefaqs is just middle aged people now.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bimbembo

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
There's something steamy on the deck

https://www.ign.com/articles/steam-deck-hands-on-impressions-details-valve-handheld-gaming-pc

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Steam thing seems pointless. All the good indie games get ported to Switch down the line. The ones that don't get Switch ports aren't worth playing.

Every single PC game that doesn't get ported to the Switch as a result of being too powerful or the developers not wanting to dedicate the time and effort to make an acceptable port, sucks? Pretty wild take.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I wonder if you can just get the 399$ Steam deck and just put a 1tb NVME in there instead of paying more for the 256gb/512 gb versions.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

infraboy posted:

I wonder if you can just get the 399$ Steam deck and just put a 1tb NVME in there instead of paying more for the 256gb/512 gb versions.

It comes with linux based valve OS but you can straight up just install windows and do some stupid poo poo with external storage

EDIT: lol :eyepop:

Vic fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 16, 2021

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

infraboy posted:

Seems like they're soldering the memory directly to the board and possibly using nonstandard parts.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

the 256 GB and 512 GB models are NVME drives

NVM(E) they're onboard

Vic fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 16, 2021

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Skyward Sword is really good

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
While the $399 version is suboptimal for storage size it's funny how it absolutely shits all over Nintendo's pricing of the OLED Switch on the tech side of things - $399 for a small fully fledged gaming PC running on AMD's latest RDNA 2 tech, or $350 for a glorified tablet running on 6 year old hardware with absolutely nothing done to either improve the internal hardware or lower the price to account for 4 years of efficiency in manufacturing and cost reduction.

I'm probably not in the market for the Steam deck at least initially because I already have a very capable gaming PC but it has absolutely made me think twice about sidegrading to the OLED Switch. With the GPU market in its current state I can see the Steam deck doing very well with people sick of waiting for GPU prices to come down to non-ridiculous levels given its ability to be turned into a desktop.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
has this been posted already? you can perma fix joycon drift with a piece of cardboard lol nintendo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vid8lIXmZwE

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Vikar Jerome posted:

has this been posted already? you can perma fix joycon drift with a piece of cardboard lol nintendo
It has been and I think the verdict was "this fix will help stave off drift but it's not a cure".

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

While the $399 version is suboptimal for storage size it's funny how it absolutely shits all over Nintendo's pricing of the OLED Switch on the tech side of things - $399 for a small fully fledged gaming PC running on AMD's latest RDNA 2 tech, or $350 for a glorified tablet running on 6 year old hardware with absolutely nothing done to either improve the internal hardware or lower the price to account for 4 years of efficiency in manufacturing and cost reduction.

I'm probably not in the market for the Steam deck at least initially because I already have a very capable gaming PC but it has absolutely made me think twice about sidegrading to the OLED Switch. With the GPU market in its current state I can see the Steam deck doing very well with people sick of waiting for GPU prices to come down to non-ridiculous levels given its ability to be turned into a desktop.

I mean yeah you're right but it never was about specs, I mean not since Wii. I wouldn't give steam deck to a child. Nintendo is absolutely ripping you off specs wise but they have the toy console market cornered.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Also if you're at an airport and there's a woman

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The dock for the steam deck is also sold separately (no price announced yet).

I personally have no faith in the thing mostly because the control layout looks godawful but that could always change

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I still find things like not having bluetooth audio support for the Switch about as silly as the Xbox controllers still using AA batteries in 2021.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

infraboy posted:

I still find things like not having bluetooth audio support for the Switch about as silly as the Xbox controllers still using AA batteries in 2021.

AA batteries are good though since you can get rechargeable ones which is just better than a battery which will eventually go to poo poo

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

8BitDo controllers come with a battery pack but also support AAs. :smugbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Huh. Looks better then I feared. It's still too expensive imho, but at least I won't have to make fun of people who get one.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Vic posted:

I mean yeah you're right but it never was about specs, I mean not since Wii. I wouldn't give steam deck to a child. Nintendo is absolutely ripping you off specs wise but they have the toy console market cornered.

No I'm not suggesting that Nintendo should be trying to compete directly here but I do think it makes a mockery of people who seem to suggest that it's impossible or outlandish for the tech to be considerably iterated and improved upon. I have a Switch because I very much enjoy playing Nintendo and other games in the form factor, and Nintendo deserves a lot of credit for bringing it into the mainstream. However now as with everything they're open to competition and seeing what other companies can do in the field should hopefully light a fire under Nintendo's hardware department.

Traditionally people pay the Nintendo premium for the innate quality and usability that implies, and while I love the form factor, appearance and feel of the thing, the build quality this generation is lamentable and the tech very aging so seeing how much more is possible at a similar price point is a real eye-opener.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

hughesta posted:

Skyward Sword is really good

With a procontroller? Seems jank rear end poo poo controls to me. Maybe waving the joycons around is better.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I don’t see the steam thing picking up traction among general consumers or families, who’re more likely to go with name recognition and price point without bothering to understand the nuances of specs.

I wonder how much of the population still refers to all consoles as “Nintendos”.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
The steam deck is likely to fail but it's gonna be pretty funny seeing it running BOTW at 60fps with ray tracing/durability/thomas the tank engine mods

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I mean Nintendo is anything that nintendoes

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

And I read somewhere that the Switch OLED only costs $10 more to make than the normal switch. With a $50 extra price tag. Nice, very nice Nintendo.
because they don’t sell hardware at a loss like other silly corporations

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

American McGay posted:

You already own a Switch, so it would probably be a hard sell for you. For someone who doesn't though, this type of thing might be pretty compelling. And that's not even considering the fact of how much better the hardware is.

You could just play StS on your phone

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Manky posted:

You could just play StS on your phone

Playing real games on your phone is kind of a chore tho

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Why the gently caress do you jerks do this while I’m asleep.

I’ll do an effort post when I’m at my computer and had my coffee. I’m tired of this poo poo.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Please don't.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
What are you even mad about

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Skyward Sword Joy-Cons are showing availability at Target and Best Buy for me. Some local, some shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I’m confused this was one of the more civil conversations this thread has had.

Unless your mad at white noise Nintendo posts.

Those do kind of suck