Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Unless one of the screws breaks in half, in which case the cooler is useless. That's one reason I ended up spending a little more on the be quiet! cooler, because the 212 I had originally bought to use as a replacement for the stock cooler broke like that as I was installing it.

yeah that would do it.

fast cars loose anus posted:

I had one on an intel and the cooling was working as reflected by the actual temps but that thing was able to rotate more than I'd have liked. I have no idea what else I could have done or what I could have missed since I followed the instructions.

it can be making complete contact without the mount being sufficiently torqued down, which it sounds like what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Maybe. I'll be more careful with this one.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I used the Hyper 212+ on two different builds and I don't regret it because it was a good value at the time, but there are now alternatives in its price range with much less fiddly mounting systems

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
After updating the bios on my X470 Gaming Plus my 3600x build is noticeably faster. I'm able to set my RAM clock speed to 3200mhz so I'm guessing that's most of the reason.

The stock cooler is about 3x louder though.

I have a Kraken X61 that I got from a friend and haven't used since the 8350 days (oh how dark they were).

I ordered a new adapter plate thing (what do you call this? hardware?) from NZXT and I'm really looking forward to hooking it up. If nothing else it'll be nice not having the lovely fan whine going all day while I'm working.

I know that there's a dedicated overclocking thread, but what kind of results have you guys seen on the 3600x? I'm not really expecting to push it too far. My target is going to be 4.2ghz base clock.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
[edit: sorry, I got my cpus mixed up]

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 8, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

64bit_Dophins posted:

After updating the bios on my X470 Gaming Plus my 3600x build is noticeably faster. I'm able to set my RAM clock speed to 3200mhz so I'm guessing that's most of the reason.

The stock cooler is about 3x louder though.

I have a Kraken X61 that I got from a friend and haven't used since the 8350 days (oh how dark they were).

I ordered a new adapter plate thing (what do you call this? hardware?) from NZXT and I'm really looking forward to hooking it up. If nothing else it'll be nice not having the lovely fan whine going all day while I'm working.

I know that there's a dedicated overclocking thread, but what kind of results have you guys seen on the 3600x? I'm not really expecting to push it too far. My target is going to be 4.2ghz base clock.

I think I have PBO on for my 3600X, but I just let it do its thing otherwise. I have the impression that overclocking Ryzens is really not that helpful, at least from Zen 2 onward.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Some of the coolers are not flat. They are convex for whatever reason. So only the "tip" touches the CPU properly and the coolers rotate easily because the contact area is so small - even when properly tightened. Personally I like flat coolers more, although some claim the convex shape increases cooling performance 🙄

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Some of the coolers are not flat. They are convex for whatever reason. So only the "tip" touches the CPU properly and the coolers rotate easily because the contact area is so small - even when properly tightened. Personally I like flat coolers more, although some claim the convex shape increases cooling performance 🙄

This is due to slight differences in cpu surface shapes between intel and amd. For a while, any universal cooler was designed around intel's cpu shape specifically due to their dominance in the consumer cpu market. The convex cooler plate really did help with intel, but those coolers were less efficient with AMD CPUs as a result. AM4-specific coolers should make better contact with a Ryzen chip with less wiggle room. Still, the curvatures we're talking about here are microscopic. For the most part, thermal paste fill in the gaps well enough to not lose much efficiency.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 8, 2021

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think I have PBO on for my 3600X, but I just let it do its thing otherwise. I have the impression that overclocking Ryzens is really not that helpful, at least from Zen 2 onward.

You can actually get some decent all core boosts by screwing with the "PBO Scaler" which can give you pretty significant all core frequency increases (from 3800mhz to 4400mhz on my 5800X). Also helpful is undervolting your cores in the PBO submenu as well. I can get right up to 5ghz if I undervolt my "preferred cores" just enough during single core work.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FuturePastNow posted:

I used the Hyper 212+ on two different builds and I don't regret it because it was a good value at the time, but there are now alternatives in its price range with much less fiddly mounting systems

for sure, i got mine very cheaply with a rebate but there are easier to use options

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just stuck my 10 year old Hyper 212 on a brand new 6 core Intel 10600. Works fine :D

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah that's pretty much what I've heard as well.

The stock cooler is really loud for me under load so even if I do not get much a performance bump at least I won't have to deal with the fan whine.

LRADIKAL posted:

You can actually get some decent all core boosts by screwing with the "PBO Scaler" which can give you pretty significant all core frequency increases (from 3800mhz to 4400mhz on my 5800X). Also helpful is undervolting your cores in the PBO submenu as well. I can get right up to 5ghz if I undervolt my "preferred cores" just enough during single core work.

Did you see a real performance boost?

Are you using Ryzen Master or the bios for this?

I know overclocking the zen 2 chips is pretty different from what I'm used to. The last chip I really pushed HARD was the 8350 which for whatever reason I was able to push to 5.0ghz stable. I think I just got really lucky with mine but yeah that chip honestly sucked rear end even with the overclock. My stock clock 2500k still ran circles around it all day in regards to gaming performance.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's measurable, doesn't feel any faster, but it's probably worth a few frames in CPU bound situations, and it does run noticably cooler with all the cores undervolted a few ticks. It's hobbiest level tweaking, though, I could have worked some overtime and gotten a 5900X, ya know?

I think I have some before and after cinebench and 3dmark data I could put up later if you're interested.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have a Dark Rock Slim and it's been great, and easily clears my 4 sticks of RAM. With a 3900X you probably want cooling than I need, so the Pro 4 makes sense.

Installed it today; never got over 70 degrees in Hitman and prime95 capped out just under 75 so a big improvement. Idle temps do seem mostly to be related to fan curves, I guess if I really want it to be lower than the 45-50 I have going I'll have to mess with that but my understanding is that should be ok so I think I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Thanks for the suggestion, I feel safer having done all that even though there was probably nothing to worry about, overall.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Just cable managed my PC for the first time in my life.

Will post pics once I get this rad installed.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Cable management to me is shoving & crushing everything behind the back panel

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The new case I got is the first one that I've ever had that really facilitated that and boy is it wonderful (it helps that I've also moved down to one SATA drive from like 5 but still)

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I’m using a beige case from 2003 for an upcoming build, and other than the PSU being modular the chief component of my cable management plan consists of zip ties and stashing things into the two unoccupied 5.25” drive bays. I make no apologies for not caring more about it, it’ll be fine.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fast cars loose anus posted:

Installed it today; never got over 70 degrees in Hitman and prime95 capped out just under 75 so a big improvement. Idle temps do seem mostly to be related to fan curves, I guess if I really want it to be lower than the 45-50 I have going I'll have to mess with that but my understanding is that should be ok so I think I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Thanks for the suggestion, I feel safer having done all that even though there was probably nothing to worry about, overall.

I've found it to be a quality of life improvement overall - it's so much quieter, and having the cooler blowing out the back of the case instead of down toward the motherboard helped my overall temps to come down.

The biggest thing with fan curves is to prevent the idle ramping Ryzens tend to do where the fan will spin up, then back down, then back up, then back down as light workloads cause the cores to clock up, generate a little more heat, and think they need more cooling. If that isn't bothering you then it's much less of a thing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

edit: wrong thread, lol

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Turned on the AM4 auto OC setting on my motherboard and got the base clock up to 4.25ghz from 3.8ghz stock clock.

Behold!

So much for cable management...

I'll post pics when I clean it up a bit but yeah. This thing kinda rules. Super quiet now with temps never exceeding 41c

edit:

Still looks like poo poo but at least its red now.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 12, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

If it shuts, it’s managed.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Subjunctive posted:

If it shuts, it’s managed.

managed to get all the cables in there!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
cases are for the weak among us

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

cases are for the weak among us

I mean, yes, but also, I just moved my caseless computer into an FD Meshify 2 Compact and oh my god it was so nice to build in, I am such a slut for scandanavian design.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I mean, yes, but also, I just moved my caseless computer into an FD Meshify 2 Compact and oh my god it was so nice to build in, I am such a slut for scandanavian design.
I'm getting an R7 Compact no-window to replace my scrawny loud Corsair (fan holes everywhere) for music work, looking forward to it!

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I would pay good money for the Mac Pro cheese grater design for a normal PC. That thing was silent.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16778/amd-epyc-milan-review-part-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRWTuo1l4sw

Anandtech did a follow-up review of AMD's Epyc Milan. They found that on a current consumer motherboard from Gigabyte, that was designed from the ground-up to support 2nd and 3rd-gen Epyc, the idle package power draw was cut almost in half, from 99 to 110 watts on the testbed Daytona platform (that most Day One reviewers used apparently), down to just 50 to 75 watts on the Gigabyte board.

They suspect that the disparity might be due to the age of the Daytona platform - some kind of BIOS or microcode that hasn't been updated since the thing was designed initially to support 1st-gen Epyc and was just carried-over to 3rd.

In any event, the reduced power consumption of the I/O die under the Gigabyte board gave Epyc Milan something like a 13% performance uplift compared to what was seen when using Daytona, since now more of the power budget was going to the cores themselves.

This is notable in terms of AMD essentially being even better than it already was, and anyone who was forming a basis of comparison between AMD and Intel's Cascade Lake or Ice Lake using these Daytona-based performance figures basically are off by what might be considered one more generation.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

stop, he’s already dead

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I would pay good money for the Mac Pro cheese grater design for a normal PC. That thing was silent.

https://www.dunecase.com/

This company made the new Mac Pro cheese grater case for PCs.

Don’t know if you can still buy it though. They got their funding off of indie gogo lol.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'm the USB ports just hanging out in the middle of the top panel, very elegant

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

64bit_Dophins posted:

https://www.dunecase.com/

This company made the new Mac Pro cheese grater case for PCs.

Don’t know if you can still buy it though. They got their funding off of indie gogo lol.

That's not even that bad to be honest. I was afraid they might just have gone for the looks, but they seem to have also taken the 3mm aluminum from the Mac.

I don't even like the looks of the new one that much, the 5.1 was just perfect.

Edit: Looks like shipping them is kinda of a shitshow. Bummer.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 15, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

That's not even that bad to be honest. I was afraid they might just have gone for the looks, but they seem to have also taken the 3mm aluminum from the Mac.

i think LTT used it in a build and while it's been a minute (the series was called something like "windows mac pro killer") and i don't remember them being overwhelmingly impressed by the case. they mostly get the aesthetic right but i remember a bunch of nitpicks about actually using it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I mean, if all you want is quiet, then any mesh-fronted case with noise-efficient PWM fans on a quiet fan curve will get the job done. If you're picking that case, it's specifically to have a Mac Pro copycat.

edit:

CoolCab posted:

i think LTT used it in a build and while it's been a minute (the series was called something like "windows mac pro killer") and i don't remember them being overwhelmingly impressed by the case. they mostly get the aesthetic right but i remember a bunch of nitpicks about actually using it.

Just looked at these, and the Mac Pro Killer video uses a completely different, very future gamery looking case. In the actual video about the Mac Pro copycat case he's pretty positive about it, though he ran into some issues with cooler clearances (and half of the video was him troubleshooting unrelated system issues).

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 15, 2021

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

:discourse: avatar/post combo

I have cut through the sheathing and shorted (thankfully just fan) cables doing this in an older steel case where the punched metal edges were sharp, though, so it's not always a great idea.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

That Dune Case is probably a giant scam FYI, so buyers beware.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Do I still need to flash a new B550 board before it'll work with the newest CPU gen or do they ship them with updated BIOSs these days? Specifically, the board is a Gigabyte Aorus Elite V2.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's really only a concern near the launch of a new CPU generation.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Lots of ppl have g5 case builds.

Don’t know what broken G5s are going for these days. I would imagine too much tho hahah. I’m sure tons of audio guys are hoarding the poo poo out of those things.

These days cases are so good I feel like there are so many better options.

I just completely reorganized my whole desktop and I was blown away by all of the cable management and quality of life stuff in my cooler master master case 5.

Long gone are the Antec 300 tier cases. They look so bad in retrospect honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So will the Zen3+ be the tits? With extra stacked L3 cache on top of the CPU die? Didn't Intel make something similar with a 128MB cache and it was extra good in games.

I really want to get rid of my 8700K - it is slow after all the patches, and these hotter weathers at 14nm are no good. Even with liquid metals the thermals are crap because so many games use AVX these days. 4,7GHz allcore with AVX murders the thermals in games. I had to revert back to stock because the cpu was burning while playing.

How much chiller Zen3 is in games with AVX? I'm thinking about a 5900X or the replacement model when the Zen3+ with extra cache comes in autumn, with a X570S fanless chipset. I could use my 3600CL15 DDR4 ram for a couple of years more.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 16, 2021