Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea as much of a meme it sounds like the movie does start to go off the rails about when Mike's character dies It's a really weird scene and from there it just kinda becomes a different, less interesting, movie where it's just Pratt doing generic action movie poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
not a surprise that the spoonman was the only thing holding this flick together

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
From the marketing I assumed that 80% of the movie was going to be what we got in the first act. So when they cut to the hospital I thought the entire squad would be revived, not like three people :( In retrospect it isn't surprising that there wasn't much from the rest of the movie except the final fight in the trailers.

The monster design was pretty cool though. And it seemed pretty well directed for Chris McKay's first live-action film. idk i guess my verdict is that it's a well-made movie with a script that needed a rewrite or two.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wish it was still called Ghost Draft

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I was already suspicious based on the casting vs. the tone of the trailer, but this definitely felt like they had a script for an ensemble-y action movie with some comedic elements and then when Pratt got involved the studio was like "OK, let's retool this so it's way more about him and let's play up the family elements"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

xbilkis posted:

I was already suspicious based on the casting vs. the tone of the trailer, but this definitely felt like they had a script for an ensemble-y action movie with some comedic elements and then when Pratt got involved the studio was like "OK, let's retool this so it's way more about him and let's play up the family elements"

yea I got the exact same vibe. Like, draft one was absolutely 'okay we need one kinda more actiony lead than this team of funny people but this is mainly an ensemble kinda light hearted action movie' and then it became the Chris Pratt emotional action hero movie.

Which is a shame because the first one is way more fun than the second!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
if this was 10 years ago HHH or John Cena would be the Chris Pratt role and it'd be a billion times more stupid and fun.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I only saw a clip of Chris Pratt fighting some monster on twitter and it looks like poo poo. I'm happy for Mr. Slice getting work, but it's a pass for me and I'll be glad when the podcast stops being so much about it too, though I obviously don't fault them for doing it.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I think Pratt just sucks in the stoic, no-nonsense action roles he keeps getting. It seems like he’s over correcting due to his comedy background but the only reason he’s a star now is because people liked him in Parks and GOTG where he played comedic roles.

He’d be way better as more of a Ryan Reynolds type who stays in his lane with action-comedies. He’s not believable as an ex-military scientist.

And it’s been said, but the Chekhov’s volcano kid bit was super dumb when they already established Sam Richardson works for a geothermal energy company.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

sexpig by night posted:

Which is a shame because the first one is way more fun than the second!

Along those lines, the reveal that Edwin Hodge's character learned he already has terminal cancer when he was first drafted and has chosen to return to the war multiple times is such an interesting wrinkle for him...and then he IMMEDIATELY leaves the movie so we can just focus on the boring, rote Pratt stuff

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

JethroMcB posted:

Along those lines, the reveal that Edwin Hodge's character learned he already has terminal cancer when he was first drafted and has chosen to return to the war multiple times is such an interesting wrinkle for him...and then he IMMEDIATELY leaves the movie so we can just focus on the boring, rote Pratt stuff

My theory is the plot point about only drafting people who are already dead in the future was a much larger part of the script originally hence the original title Ghost Draft.

I’m sure there was a bit like that for most of the team members and they changed the title when they decided to focus more on Pratt’s family. It was the most interesting part to me and would’ve made everyone seem much more selfless in saving a future they would never get to experience.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy

xbilkis posted:

The absolute tonal confusion is what kills this. Why cast these actors? None of them can carry the severity of their lines, which are also bad. Why is there such a thick layer of military fetishism slathered on top of this? Where's Cowen, why isn't he on the screen? Maybe there was a good idea in the script at the start and then, a whole lot happened.

That being said, I think this pairs quite nicely with my totally unrelated plans to watch Southland Tales later tonight with some pals. Both movies with scripts that had SOMETHING to it, at some original point, which was destroyed in its execution, dumbass decision by dumbass decision - all acted out by the most B list comedians you can get, with one or two A listers on top. But at least Southland Tales makes a more fun mess.

But then again, no Cowen in that movie. Where's Cowen? What's he doing? Why isn't he on the screen?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Srice posted:

I wish it was still called Ghost Draft

this just makes me think of the episode where they were talking about Paul Blart Mall Cop and saying some movies they just come up with the title first and then work backwards

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sloth Socks posted:

The absolute tonal confusion is what kills this. Why cast these actors? None of them can carry the severity of their lines, which are also bad. Why is there such a thick layer of military fetishism slathered on top of this? Where's Cowen, why isn't he on the screen? Maybe there was a good idea in the script at the start and then, a whole lot happened.

That being said, I think this pairs quite nicely with my totally unrelated plans to watch Southland Tales later tonight with some pals. Both movies with scripts that had SOMETHING to it, at some original point, which was destroyed in its execution, dumbass decision by dumbass decision - all acted out by the most B list comedians you can get, with one or two A listers on top. But at least Southland Tales makes a more fun mess.

But then again, no Cowen in that movie. Where's Cowen? What's he doing? Why isn't he on the screen?

where's our boy Cowen???

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Dacap posted:

And it’s been said, but the Chekhov’s volcano kid bit was super dumb when they already established Sam Richardson works for a geothermal energy company.

Was there like an implication that Sam Richardson's character got the job Pratt's character wanted? For some reason I got that impression

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Man oh man I hope Mitch got a nice kickback for giving up the Charlie role.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is Mitch seriously only in this movie for five minutes after all that

e: wow this movie sucks so loving bad don’t watch it

indigi fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 5, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Sloth Socks posted:

Why is there such a thick layer of military fetishism slathered on top of this?

you don’t get DOD cooperation for your movie without it

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

you don’t get DOD cooperation for your movie without it

gotta get that pentagon pr money

I watched Independence Day last night, because America and all, and wow, what a comparison. It got made for 2021 adjusted $125M, as opposed to the $200M tomorrow war, and it was so good in comparison! All those physical, non-CG scenes of military stuff, but none of the worship of how COOL it was. The only "wow those soldiers are cool" sequences were the dogfights, which pre-911 and Call of Duty makes sense. In Tomorrow War, it's all about those assault rifles with attachments. Mitch, looking down a 3x red dot scope, using the same loadout as any dingdong in Black Ops. Anyways, ID4 was still good! Fun to see how it influenced Sci-fi action 25 years later, for better and for worse, in the structure and script and character writing.

But most importantly, Harvey Fierstein is Cowen. Big fat dipshit who gets murked slightly off-screen in the first act. And honestly, that's good archetypal company to keep.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Why hire not that famous comedians for movies if you’re not gonna have them do anything funny

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Why hire not that famous comedians for movies if you’re not gonna have them do anything funny

I’m sure Mitch and Mary Lynn’s comedy stuff all got cut cause the movie is bloated as is

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the tomorrow war was absolutely a film that got hit by covid mid-production but was way too far along to just scrap or shelve.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

indigi posted:

I’m sure Mitch and Mary Lynn’s comedy stuff all got cut cause the movie is bloated as is

Between Mitch's on-set stories and the miserable mish-mash we see on screen, it is obvious that they did film the first half an interesting "monsters in tight corners" action thriller that eventually got turned into something completely else half way through do to COVID. We joke about a "Cowan cut", but there most likely is a bunch of cut footage of Mitch and the other comedic actors that just didn't mesh well with what the producers decided to do half way in.

Oh, well, it's disappointing that Mitch didn't have more screen time or lines, but from this past month's guests, you can tell that he made a really good impression on the movie makers and his co-stars. That means he has positive rep and will hopefully get more Hollywood work.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Mitch had two lines that sounded like they were pulled straight from doughboys ("yea NO poo poo" and "ah, what the hell???") so I enjoyed the mitch parts.

The rest, ehhhhh

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

That’s like how The Post had Bob Odenkirk, David Cross, Alison Brie, Bradley Whitford, and gosh darn Zach Woods and was a painful slog. Even Tom Hanks has done good comedy.

cams posted:

the tomorrow war was absolutely a film that got hit by covid mid-production but was way too far along to just scrap or shelve.

That like the latest season of Fargo. Got wrapped up awkwardly and fast.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Covid: the biggest bastard of them all

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That’s like how The Post had Bob Odenkirk, David Cross, Alison Brie, Bradley Whitford, and gosh darn Zach Woods and was a painful slog. Even Tom Hanks has done good comedy.

That like the latest season of Fargo. Got wrapped up awkwardly and fast.

I was about to defend The Post but then I remembered that I was think of Spotlight, a good movie.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
It seems like they took the Pratt takes that were the least charismatic or endearing for the sake of dour realism, too. You can see bits of the performance that might have been when he's riffing for a few extra lines in his first scenes with Simmons.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Tuna Santa was funny.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Everybody in my normie-rear end midwestern family absolutely loved "The Future War", some of them even watching it twice. I guess those two intro to cinema classes in community college 20 years ago absolutely ruined my ability to enjoy anything.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Two tour dates for 2022 just went up, pre-sale is tomorrow I guess?

https://www.ticketmaster.com/doughboys-podcast-tickets/artist/2546050

Gonna try to get to that Connecticut show even if I gotta be a real weirdo and go by myself

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Hobo Clown posted:

Gonna try to get to that Connecticut show even if I gotta be a real weirdo and go by myself

I went to the last Seattle show and it was excellent. Nick was half an hour late so Mitch had to roast himself.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Omg this weeks episode is hilarious, I love when Paul directly calls out their absolutely absurd cohost dynamic

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Is there anything added to it, or is it entirely from the Doughathon?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

indigi posted:

Omg this weeks episode is hilarious, I love when Paul directly calls out their absolutely absurd cohost dynamic

Go ahead, indigi.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

Hobo Clown posted:

I'll be going to either Connecticut or Boston show, not sure which yet

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ardemia posted:

I'll be going to either Connecticut or Boston show, not sure which yet

better hurry up and decide, looks like there’s only a few pairs of balcony seats left for the Wilbur

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I got lucky enough to snag front row seats at the Portland show when they went up. Hopefully they do a better job controlling the crowd then they did last time they were at the venue!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jokymi posted:

I got lucky enough to snag front row seats at the Portland show when they went up. Hopefully they do a better job controlling the crowd then they did last time they were at the venue!

I have bad news about live shows for the doughboys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

sexpig by night posted:

I have bad news about live shows for the doughboys

All those CPAP machines going at once must be pretty distracting.