Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Crab Dad posted:

Just found a penn 209 real in excellent mechanical condition but a bit dirty for $25. Always nice to have a few spare reels. Load it up with different line than my other 209s.

Sweet! Old Penns last forever. I have a 7500SS and an International baitcast 965 that are both approaching 20 years old and see the salt every week. I recently bought a Penn Slammer III. We'll see how well that one does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

My only baitcaster is an abu ambassadeur xlt with left-hand retrieve.

I can't figure out how to set it up. Every time i try to use it out just fires the lure straight down.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

titties posted:

My only baitcaster is an abu ambassadeur xlt with left-hand retrieve.

I can't figure out how to set it up. Every time i try to use it out just fires the lure straight down.

Generally, you set the spool tension/cast control so that whatever lure you have tied on will pull line off with it disengaged just barely. Problems arise when you have too light of a bait or too stiff of a rod. The rest is just timing when to turn the spool loose.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I watched a few videos right after i got it and was able to use it, but my casting distance wasn't very good. I cleaned it up a little (it's late 80's or early 90's and it had been sitting in a garage for several years), watched a few more videos, fiddled with it a little, and have been completely unable to cast it ever since.

I assume it's some combination of mag brakes and spool tensioner binding it up.

E:

I have a drop shot setup on it but the rod is pretty stiff.

It's a really short old ugly stik rod with a maglite branded pistol grip. Maybe I'll bust it out and post a pic later

titties fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 8, 2021

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

How much does the rig weigh? Sounds too light.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

it it's not heavy enough to put a little bend in the rod to hold it up it's too light.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Farking Bastage posted:

it it's not heavy enough to put a little bend in the rod to hold it up it's too light.

it's this, you need some flex to yeet that thing out there

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
What's the general wisdom regarding storm fronts moving through? Elsa is passing by and I can't remember if fishing is supposed to be better/worse before/after a weather system.

Edit specifically as it relates to LMB, sorry VVV

ihop fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 9, 2021

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

ihop posted:

What's the general wisdom regarding storm fronts moving through? Elsa is passing by and I can't remember if fishing is supposed to be better/worse before/after a weather system.

Storms push offshore species closer to shore. One hit Panama City when I was a kid in the 1980's and they were catching grouper off the pier.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

ihop posted:

Edit specifically as it relates to LMB, sorry VVV

I have a friend who's a very successful kayak bass angler in the southeast and here's what he had to say on the subject in the past:

quote:

Some people swear by solunar tables, but I’ve personally not noticed a huge correlation except MAYBE when weather and water have been stable for several days. Stable weather and water conditions (clarity, level, temp) is almost always good. In transient conditions, slow cooling trends in the fall, warming trends in the spring, slow water rises, sudden influxes of warm muddy water in the spring, the day just before and day of a front passing are usually good. But rapid cooling trends, influxes of cold muddy water in the winter, rapid falling or rising water, the couple days after a front passes all seem to have negative effects.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Went out about 80 miles into the gulf yesterday from St Pete, not a bad day. It was like going to jurassic Park with these loving fish. Not pictured are the AR same size as the big one in the photo that got nuked by a bronze whaler, and the other 3 ARs and a massive firetruck that also got smoked.

Weird thing was there were almost no pelagic fish out. We had huge grass lines that were just...empty. closer to shore had some Bonita blowing up, but we only saw one black fin all day (hit flat line, immediately popped it) and some kings that had lockjaw.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Went out about 80 miles into the gulf yesterday from St Pete, not a bad day. It was like going to jurassic Park with these loving fish. Not pictured are the AR same size as the big one in the photo that got nuked by a bronze whaler, and the other 3 ARs and a massive firetruck that also got smoked.

Weird thing was there were almost no pelagic fish out. We had huge grass lines that were just...empty. closer to shore had some Bonita blowing up, but we only saw one black fin all day (hit flat line, immediately popped it) and some kings that had lockjaw.

What the hell is that a jewfish? Also I've not seen any Cobia inshore around all the floating grass which is odd. Lots of Tarpon rolling though.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Farking Bastage posted:

What the hell is that a jewfish? Also I've not seen any Cobia inshore around all the floating grass which is odd. Lots of Tarpon rolling though.

Black grouper. Not super common this far north, but they are around. Look like a gag almost, just darker and fatter, with yellow in its mouth. Dude caught it in 200' on a loving ancient 4/0 Penn senator.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Black grouper. Not super common this far north, but they are around. Look like a gag almost, just darker and fatter, with yellow in its mouth. Dude caught it in 200' on a loving ancient 4/0 Penn senator.

Old Penn's never die. They just smell that way :v:

Each of these are nearly 2 decades old.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 10, 2021

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

iwentdoodie posted:

Went out about 80 miles into the gulf yesterday from St Pete, not a bad day.

[...]

Would it have anything to do with the nine tons of fish that died en masse around there just recently?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Yond Cassius posted:

Would it have anything to do with the nine tons of fish that died en masse around there just recently?

Considering the pelagic fish we saw were closest to it? Doubt it. That's sadly normal, but we still catch Mahi and black fin offshore.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I think I now realize why most fishing videos have a music background and that reason is the things that can come out of your mouth during a heck of a fight. I don't think I've been this disappointed to catch a fish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EC43CvFDDY

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Farking Bastage posted:

Don't call them jewfish. That term is racist.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Anybody familiar with these? This looks like a handy little inflatable and that's a lot of accessories for $600.

https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/spo/d/underwood-for-sale-scadden-inflatable/7346426062.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XZ5iOz5wfM

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

highme posted:

Anybody familiar with these? This looks like a handy little inflatable and that's a lot of accessories for $600.

https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/spo/d/underwood-for-sale-scadden-inflatable/7346426062.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XZ5iOz5wfM

Interesting, but I don't think it's that great of a buy unless it has very specific features for your very specific needs. I have no idea why that would cost $1,400 new, that's hosed. That's a whole lot of money for a fancy float tube, and while it may be technically possible to stand and fish on it, it doesn't seem pleasant or terribly stable to me.

If you want an inflatable and your budget is $600 I would suggest this instead: https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/classic-accessories-colorado-pontoon-boat. Has oars, a trolling motor mount, rod holders, anchor system, sits above the water, plenty of storage, 2-year warranty, etc.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ah, I've got a float tube I rarely use. I'm considering some kind of multiuse SUP/kayak, but nothing is really on my radar at the moment. This thing just looks mildly interesting.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

highme posted:

Ah, I've got a float tube I rarely use. I'm considering some kind of multiuse SUP/kayak, but nothing is really on my radar at the moment. This thing just looks mildly interesting.

soloskiff.com

or a Bote Rover(heard bad things about them, delamination, etc)

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It is mildly interesting, and your budget may be far different than mine! But any kayak will be better at kayaking, and SUPs aren't super popular for fishing since they're basically just a platform that's slow to move around.

https://www.nucanoe.com/ is an option that you may be interested in. It's significantly more expensive, but far more likely to be a buy-once, cry-once.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

It is mildly interesting, and your budget may be far different than mine! But any kayak will be better at kayaking, and SUPs aren't super popular for fishing since they're basically just a platform that's slow to move around.

https://www.nucanoe.com/ is an option that you may be interested in. It's significantly more expensive, but far more likely to be a buy-once, cry-once.

Their backlog is astronomical. I'm on the list and I may not be able to buy one until 2022. However if you live near them (north of Seattle) they are more than happy to let you demo any of their models. Good people but the Unlimited is just in demand like crazy.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Farking Bastage posted:

I think I now realize why most fishing videos have a music background and that reason is the things that can come out of your mouth during a heck of a fight. I don't think I've been this disappointed to catch a fish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EC43CvFDDY

gently caress that guy, catfish are great

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

OniPanda posted:

gently caress that guy, catfish are great

The saltwater ones are disgusting. Trust me.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I've always used external fuel tanks on the solo skiff because the internal tank inside the powerhead is only about a liter. This thing fully loaded with that 5 horse 4-stroke at WOT will run 20 miles on a gallon of fuel. Problem is, like most micro skiffs, space it at a premium. BAM Manufacturing makes these little spun aluminum fuel tanks people typically use on race cars, carts, dune buggies, etc with stainless steel mounting straps. I ordered one and mounted it yesterday. I can now fit an additional full cooler behind the seat in addition to the molded in cooler in the bow, which is a hell of a lot easier to get in and out of while underway.

Is doing [timg] tags still a rule? It used to be probatible for breaking tables when the average desktop resolution was 1280x1024. Not so much table breakage nowadays when even bargain basement devices are running a minimum of 1920x1080

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's a really nice little tank! Great find. Does the motor automatically draw from that tank, or do you have to treat the internal tank like a daytank and transfer fuel periodically?

Farking Bastage posted:

Is doing [timg] tags still a rule? It used to be probatible for breaking tables when the average desktop resolution was 1280x1024. Not so much table breakage nowadays when even bargain basement devices are running a minimum of 1920x1080

No, it's not a rule any more. At some point, the Forums software was updated such that images were automatically scaled to fit the tables. Nevertheless, here's a trick: If you take an imgur link and put s, m, l , or h just before the file extension, you'll get a small, medium, large, or huge image. E.g.:

I usually stick to large or huge, depending on how wide vs tall the image is.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

That's a really nice little tank! Great find. Does the motor automatically draw from that tank, or do you have to treat the internal tank like a daytank and transfer fuel periodically?

Tank is fully plumbed with an off the shelf Mercury style fuel line and bulb. I used the plastic fitting off my old tank but I have a brass right angle one coming. The old one took up the entire area.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

Old Penn's never die. They just smell that way :v:

Each of these are nearly 2 decades old.

I've got an International 955 that's about 24 years young, and a squidder that my dad had for god knows how long before I snagged it about the same time ago. Both still feel like they're new with proper maintenance. The squidder is so old that it came with a metal tube of Penn branded lube, weird stuff indeed. I kept it in the tacklebox for luck, but it got stolen when the rest of my gear did :(

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Farking Bastage posted:

Tank is fully plumbed with an off the shelf Mercury style fuel line and bulb. I used the plastic fitting off my old tank but I have a brass right angle one coming. The old one took up the entire area.

How are those micro skiffs compared to just a yak or yak with a motor?

I've thought about one, but hellacious red tide kind of puts a damper on justifying costs.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

How are those micro skiffs compared to just a yak or yak with a motor?

I've thought about one, but hellacious red tide kind of puts a damper on justifying costs.

When I bought that, I was kayak fishing a lot but my shoulders were killing me. When I saw that the new Hobie Pro Anglers were running north of $4500, I said to myself " I could have a motor for that money ". The range and the fuel economy are very very nice, but it's still a very small craft and while it will get you home if poo poo goes south, it will not get you home dry. I can get into places with it that really only an airboat can and I don't have to paddle it. That particular one can take a trolling motor as well and I've seen people do it, but the added weight on the bow makes the chop suck more, so I just set that one up to drift or or use an anchor pole+trolley kit off a Kayak. Soloskiff's definitely better than even the nice Gheenoe's in a coastal environment, but I will probably move towards something like this.

Something that's flat bottomed, but still has an angled bow, but not necessarily like a Carolina SKiff J14 with a flat jon boat like bow that just makes noise when poling from hull slap. I think the term is technical poling skiff.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Farking Bastage posted:

Solo Skiff Stuff

What do you do to anchor or otherwise maintain your position in wind and/or current?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Easychair Bootson posted:

What do you do to anchor or otherwise maintain your position in wind and/or current?

I have a stakeout pole ( 7' pointy fiberglass stick) tied to a kayak style anchor trolley for shallow water. I've seen folks put a PowerPole micro on them but that's a pretty pricey item and you have to jury rig a bracket for it. I already have a power system in it so it's doable for me. These things come completely bare if you buy one new, so everything on this except for the hinges on the hatch were done by me. More often than not, I set myself up so that the wind and/or tide is carrying me through the area I would like to fish, using a drift sock when they happen to be going the same direction so I don't drift at 3 miles per hour.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Having such a small rig and some calm conditions after dodging thunderstorms has its perks, I gotta say. Caught a couple of keeper trout, but no reds.

drat kids and their boat ramp fornicatin'! :bahgawd:

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Academy had a 20% off all fishing stuff earlier this week, so I impulse-bought a Daiwa BG3000 with the intent of using it on my 3-piece medium / mod-fast spinning rod. This is the combo that I'll use for inshore fishing on the Gulf Coast (Florida panhandle). I have pretty limited experience down there, but have always used (and never had an issue with) 15 pound braid with a 15 pound fluorocarbon leader to fish for speckled trout and red drum.

That Daiwa will take nearly 300 yards of 15 pound braid, and that's way more than I need for this application. Should I jump to 30#, which will give me a little over 200 yards of braid, or stay in the 15# range? I know that I can use a backer to take up some of the unneeded space but I've been getting away from that recently in favor of tying braid directly to the spool.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

So I’ve landed several large bass as long as my lower leg (I’m a tall guy) and I’m seriously obsessed and struggling not to run to the store to buy an expensive shimano reel and a fishing kayak.

This sport seriously lends itself to my gear slut tendencies.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

LeeMajors posted:

So I’ve landed several large bass as long as my lower leg (I’m a tall guy) and I’m seriously obsessed and struggling not to run to the store to buy an expensive shimano reel and a fishing kayak.

This sport seriously lends itself to my gear slut tendencies.

I’m about to spend 3k on a peddle kayak so I’m absolutely qualified to say follow your dreams you can do it!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Crab Dad posted:

I’m about to spend 3k on a peddle kayak so I’m absolutely qualified to say follow your dreams you can do it!

My wife would murder me in my sleep considering we are probably about to refinance our house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

LeeMajors posted:

considering we are probably about to refinance our house.

So you’ve got some equity freed up, yeah?