Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
In Asheron’s Call people just set up alts as a bot in marketplace and you manually set prices via your bot program, then it’s all automated. I always kind of liked it because you’d never know when a new bot appears, or what loot it’ll have, and it makes it feel like you’re buying from someone rather than some random auction house. It’s like going shopping at a farmers market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I still like having to DM someone and negotiate, haggle, and so on. Lets you get to know your recurring customers as a crafter and offer deals or trade for items instead of money.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Freakazoid_ posted:

poo poo on auction houses if you must, but having to sit around waiting for a buyer for hours is boring as hell.

At least let me offload my poo poo onto a vendor so I can get stuff sold while I go do something else.

I had an FBSS drop on my cleric and the experience of trying to sell it for a fair price was memorable. I spent hours trying to sell it in North Freeport(because Veeshan was weird like that). If sitting there with nothing to do but slowly spam my WTS macro wasnt bad enough having to deal with a never ending stream of tells from lowballers made it even worse. Anyone that wants to go back to a system like that rather than the AH is a lunatic.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
It can be daunting to spend days or even weeks tracking down a buyer or seller for an item on P99.

That said, what that translates into is you having to talk to a bunch of people, getting leads from your guild mates and strangers on people they know who have or want that item, tracking that person down, getting that rush when you know that you're about to get this thing you've been looking for for days, or about to unload a pricey item you've been trying to sell for as long, the disappointment when the lead falls through, eventually haggling with people, agreeing to meet up somewhere at some time, getting a great deal or getting screwed over.

This is a lot of player interaction and interdependence, the process is dynamic, it can end in frustration or a feeling of great reward, it really makes all this meaningful and you genuinely build relationships with people throughout the process, and ultimately this poo poo is memorable.

I legit have memories like walking from EC to Solusek A, encumbered to hell with 10-15k pp on me, walking about 2 feet per second, constantly recasting invis so I don't get killed, just to eventually make it to a vendor to buy a guildie some tinkerer's bags. That guildie hooked me up, we became friends, he gave me tons of poo poo afterwards and we ended up playing together a bunch.

I remember looking for spells for my enchanter for over a week, and then a total stranger messages me in EC, and he ends up running all over the world checking vendors for the spell components, gets them together, then comes back to EC to combine the spell for me.

I have tons of memories of me making friends with strangers and guildies in the process of trying to track something down, or getting something for them. Nobody is selling that thing you need? I know how to get it, we can duo it, let's go I'll show you.

You lose all that when you just drop in an auction house that anyone can pull up, drop items into, or buy whatever they need, without having to interact with anyone.

Yeah, it can be a pain in the rear end. So can putting together a group, having to compete for limited mobs or wanting to do a camp that's already taken, taking 6 months of consistent play to get to max level, losing the last 3 hours of progress with a death, getting lost in the dark in a dangerous zone and having no map or any idea where to go, having to do a corpse recovery naked in said zone on the other side of the world, having to rely on druids and wizards to port you around or facing hours of running and boats...

When you start to get rid of all the friction between players or with the world itself, and replace these things with vastly simplified/streamlined/automated systems, the world starts to feel empty, easy, shallow and meaningless.

My brainworms lead me to get bored quickly in modern MMOs in large part because this steady stream of streamlining changes have turned the MMO from a living, breathing, challenging, meaningful world filled with other people that you really get to know over time into what is essentially a single player game that poses no challenge whatsoever in 95% of its content, where your player interaction consists primarily of instance lobbies filled with strangers you couldn't give less of a poo poo about.

Granted, this doesn't mean that EQ did everything right and that nothing about it should be subject to criticism or change, just that any suggested change that removes player interdependence and makes the game easier or more streamlined may risk eroding the essence of what makes classic EQ/p99 great.

I really need to stop writing long rants about 20 year old games and the golden years of MMOs.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

retpocileh posted:

I really need to stop writing long rants about 20 year old games and the golden years of MMOs.

You don't, this is superb and nails what I couldn't really say myself.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

retpocileh posted:

When you start to get rid of all the friction between players or with the world itself, and replace these things with vastly simplified/streamlined/automated systems, the world starts to feel empty, easy, shallow and meaningless.

This was something I was fine with in EQ for stuff like questing, groups, raids etc. You know, the stuff that actually lead to excitement of some sort. But for something like buying stuff from other players? Oh god no, thats one grind too far.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I sucked at EC tunnel quest because I felt bad if I charged too much so every lowballer got my golden efreeti boots

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For me, the Ec tunnel was a social thing where you could see everyone’s cool armor and weapons. I remember being a sub-level 20 troll SK and just blown away by how diverse and interesting everyone in the tunnel was.

Hated haggling though. Everyone was so entitled with their items and if you offered less than asking or tried to haggle it would become “stop wasting my time you noob.” Given almost everyone playing eq back in 99-01 was a teenager I guess that makes sense.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

LuckyCat posted:

For me, the Ec tunnel was a social thing where you could see everyone’s cool armor and weapons. I remember being a sub-level 20 troll SK and just blown away by how diverse and interesting everyone in the tunnel was.

Yeah. I feel like cosmetic mtx can really put a damper on this. I still get strong waves of nostalgia seeing a barbarian shaman wearing a blood stained tunic.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

How long do you think before Pantheon has Halloween and Christmas costumes in their cash shop?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sachant posted:

How long do you think before Pantheon has Halloween and Christmas costumes in their cash shop?

Never because it isn’t going to release.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

But games don't need to release to have a cash shop.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Urv4JvKgdM

New video. Lead Programmer: Kyle's is on this one. He's honestly very smart and his videos are always interesting.

Few things (Obviously just my opinion)
Combat actually looks a lot better than last year even. It's still typical MMORPG stuff but that is what they were aiming for.
I think the Lighting looks great, but shadows could be a little higher quality. Could just be the graphics settings on the client? The light on the armor looks very crisp.
I wish they'd replace these human models though they look so dopey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tOd9N6XZZ0

Roundtable with Kyle and Rob.

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 5, 2021

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Video on the Monk class. Some pretty cool ideas. I think we should all become backers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUx_uQ0HEXI

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Game isn't first person. Pass.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

Game isn't first person. Pass. coming out.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Flunky posted:

that's it i'm sold

They didn’t quite get what they were going for.

quote:

We’re shooting for a low poly, hand-painted look, which maintains a sense of “Fantastic Realism.”
The goal is to evoke the paintings, book covers, and illustrations of the classic fantasy artists that made us love the genre.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I am so absolutely hype about this game. It's been a long time coming, but every time I see more of it I am more excited. I love the work they are doing here.
Edit: The pulling looks like the very best parts of what I remember from EQ turned up to 11. THIS GAME IS GOING TO BE SO AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ohdear: youtube comments

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Yes I liked watching 8-10 minutes of demonstrating feign death pulling. EQ had some real dumb stuff I’m glad is gone forever.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That was one of the cool things.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I loved FD pulling in raids, knowing if I messed up the entire raid would wipe and everyone would be mad at me :cool:

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

That was one of the cool things.

:hmmyes:

e: video actually looked decent, but holy crap someone should just mute roenick

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Honestly the thing I liked most about the video was the enemy model.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

game is basically done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RIqs4SdZHw

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

My body is ready.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Looks like I picked the right time to quit wow (again, for the 20th time)

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
the character model looks like he has a vitamin deficiency. maybe he’s one of those monks that has to go begging in the streets for food

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

This game has like, the exact perfect level of graphical fidelity and realism, without the matching level of quality, to guarantee that it will visually age terribly. There's a reason smaller/independent games go for stylized looks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ship it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sachant posted:

This game has like, the exact perfect level of graphical fidelity and realism, without the matching level of quality, to guarantee that it will visually age terribly. There's a reason smaller/independent games go for stylized looks.

EQ2 had a similar issue.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
EQ2 looked good though

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How EQ2 looked was the main reason I skipped it. Was like poser poo poo.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
How WoW looked was the main reason I stopped playing it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I remember WoW looking better in the alpha that was in some magazine I read back in the day but I could be wrong.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

How EQ2 looked was the main reason I skipped it. Was like poser poo poo.

Eq2 iksar looked badass

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
EQ2 fae were bae

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
EQ2 humans looked like a block of clay. EQ2 monk froglokks using a 2 handed staff were amazing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

please knock Mom! posted:

Eq2 iksar looked badass

Yeah they did look great but all human-like races (including ogres) looked like poser poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Don’t play humans lol what’s wrong with you. Oh yeah i love being nightblind