Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ex Mods Poll Opinions (+current IK +current mod)
This poll is closed.
Relax or Die: i'll tell you what it is: posting theft 10 0.07%
ShallNoiseUpon: i have reported oddium for stealing posting valor i hope the moderators will sort this out post haste 14 0.09%
Cheetah7071: more like snoreson smells 18 0.12%
Oddium: no poll for solidarity with mobile users 36 0.24%
Metis: I promise never to interfere in poll results 15001 99.46%
Hmmmmmm. 4 0.03%
Total: 15083 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weedle
May 31, 2006

hello. i’m on day 3 of my and my wife’s fifth anniversary “vacation,” on which we brought our four-year-old for some reason. huge mistake. he is not old enough for a multi-day trip. we both want to go home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm sorry your vacation isn't going as well as you'd like

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Kids are never old enough to go on a multi-day trip with family. Yes, even if those kids are well into their thirties. Embrace leaving kids behind.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the worst part is that he has suddenly developed an immense anxiety about public toilets. every time we have to use the restroom he flips out because he’s afraid that the flush is going to be loud. once i tried letting him wait outside the stall while i closed the door and flushed it and he tried to run away. we’ve had to cut several outings short because he wouldn’t use the toilet and then peed himself. i also had a mental health crisis yesterday where i just cried in the bathroom for an hour and my wife had to tell me that i’m not a failure of a family man. not exactly a hall of fame vacation.

The Black Stones posted:

Kids are never old enough to go on a multi-day trip with family. Yes, even if those kids are well into their thirties. Embrace leaving kids behind.

i started embracing that about an hour after we got here

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Weedle posted:

the worst part is that he has suddenly developed an immense anxiety about public toilets. every time we have to use the restroom he flips out because he’s afraid that the flush is going to be loud. once i tried letting him wait outside the stall while i closed the door and flushed it and he tried to run away. we’ve had to cut several outings short because he wouldn’t use the toilet and then peed himself. i also had a mental health crisis yesterday where i just cried in the bathroom for an hour and my wife had to tell me that i’m not a failure of a family man. not exactly a hall of fame vacation.

You’re a good dad and a good family for wanting to share your anniversary with your son. Kids are just difficult sometimes especially as toddlers, I’ve seen like a half dozen kids around that age (lots of cousins) just have those same kinds of issues out nowhere.

Regardless, congratulations! Sorry the celebration wasn’t ideal man :(

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

You’re a good dad and a good family for wanting to share your anniversary with your son. Kids are just difficult sometimes especially as toddlers, I’ve seen like a half dozen kids around that age (lots of cousins) just have those same kinds of issues out nowhere.

Regardless, congratulations! Sorry the celebration wasn’t ideal man :(

he’s generally a surprisingly good-natured kid so when he gets like this i have to remind myself that it’s normal, and many four-year-olds are like this way more of the time, and it will pass. one more month until school starts…

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Zaphod42 posted:

So I'm sure it makes as much sense as anything else if you're a fan, and especially if you follow the series as they come out, but as an outsider I do find that whole universe to be pretty inscrutable

So there's Shin Megami Tensei and there's Persona and they're the same but not

SMT is a JRPG series where aside from the main character all of your party members (almost) exclusively consist of recruitable monsters that you can mash together to make better monsters.

Persona is one of several spinoff series, but SMT fans like to pretend they’re unrelated because they’re ornery over the fact that it has long since eclipsed the main series in popularity

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Chat of the Steampatio reminded me I have a steam link I got when they were giving them away for $2 and a steam controller I got when they sold for... $5 I think, and I've never touched either of them. Well, I vaguely remember spending like 5 minutes with the controller trying to make it work the way I thought it should and getting mad when it didn't. Maybe I should dig them out of my Ye Olde Electronics Graveyarde bins and give them a try.

Not in any belief that they're going to be good or useful, just that I paid a small amount of money for them I should use them sometime.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

he’s generally a surprisingly good-natured kid so when he gets like this i have to remind myself that it’s normal, and many four-year-olds are like this way more of the time, and it will pass. one more month until school starts…

kids are extremely weird, emotionally/physically fragile little things and it's not your fault

just how it is

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i bought a steam link for $5 so i could wirelessly mirror my mac’s display to my tv. turns out steam link mac support was broken and had been for some time because the necessary audio driver wouldn’t install correctly. it remained unfixed at the time i retired my mac and something tells me valve hasn't started caring more about the mac in the intervening years

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
honestly the fear of making too much noise in a public toilet is extremely relatable

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Looper posted:

honestly the fear of making too much noise in a public toilet is extremely relatable

It’s probably more about the noise the toilet itself makes. Public bathroom toilets can sometimes be crazy loud when you flush them, and it’s not like bathrooms take kids into account in their acoustic design anyway.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I remember my mother invited us down to Myrtle Beach one year when my kid was about 5. 2 adults and a toddler and a ton of luggage in a 5 speed Mazda doesn't make for a fun 8 hour drive. One of the worst vacations ever.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
honestly I guess taking a dump on one of those damned auto-flush toilets in an airport fills me with anxiety as well

oh you leaned forward 5 cm to wipe your rear end I see here let me just splash your crotch/crack as well as maybe the luggage you crammed into the stall with a violent cyclone of poo poo and piss before your flight

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

this is rad, actually surprised we dont have videogames or an rts or wargames in the style of these old prints.

Monkey Fracas posted:

honestly I guess taking a dump on one of those damned auto-flush toilets in an airport fills me with anxiety as well

oh you leaned forward 5 cm to wipe your rear end I see here let me just splash your crotch/crack as well as maybe the luggage you crammed into the stall with a violent cyclone of poo poo and piss before your flight

even worse, they never ever have bidets so you have to wipe your rear end with your hands and dry paper as if civilization was just invented and then when youre trying to wash the sin off your hands you see all the other people who aint wash their hands after digging around their lovely buttholes with their hands and you gotta hang around and touch the stuff these people are touching blegh

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 16, 2021

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

What are the best games on the PSP? So far I've got

Castlevania - The Dracula X Chronicles
Final Fantasy Tactics - The War of the Lions
Riviera - The Promised Land and sequels
Persona 3 Portable

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

galenanorth posted:

Persona 3 Portable

Lunar Silverstar Harmony
Jeanne D'arc

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

metal gear acid
peace walker.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I kind of want to get a PSP and play games on it rather than emulating them

even at home I kinda like playing games on a handheld

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i always play games handheld, idk how else 2 use controller or kbm

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

I kind of want to get a PSP and play games on it rather than emulating them

even at home I kinda like playing games on a handheld

Imho find a cheap PSP an homebrew the poo poo out of it for both.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

Imho find a cheap PSP an homebrew the poo poo out of it for both.

this except a vita instead

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I played lots of Hatsune Miku/DJ Max on my PSP but I guess there's more recent versions of those available on other consoles

There's also the Patapons/Half Minute Hero/Valkyria Chronicles 2/3 which I liked at the time but most people don't seem to be into them/Dissidia

I always wondered what those PSP GTA games were like but never got around to buying them

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

this except a vita instead

is every vita like completely and permanently broken open by this point or do you need a specific model?

lot of PSP/Vita games to tera into since I've never owned or gotten around to emulating stuff from either

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah vita is completley hacked now and theyve stopped doing firmware updates. the guide actually gets you to upgrade to the newest firmware first lol

https://vita.hacks.guide/

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

galenanorth posted:

Persona 3 Portable

tactics ogre
harvest moon hero of leaf valley
gitaroo man lives
trails in the sky

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hmm I remember when trying to resell my vita my foolish decision to upgrade the firmware was a value kill

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

vita was a pita to break and sony were v persistent in closing things back up but the last firmware update was 2 years ago now so theyre not getting rid of exploits anymore so it doesnt matter.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject I have another TWEWY related question: How exactly do you open the box on Week 3 Day 4? Do you have to defeat all the Noise in the area, be standing in a specific spot, what?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
the vita fuckin rules

hacking it is mandatory, you need an SD2Vita because the memory cards are proprietary, expensive and failure-prone.

don't get a psp unless you can't find a vita or it's really cheap. the vita is a better psp in every way.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1416069597128691716?s=20

Didn't y'all just show these off in detail like two weeks ago lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
youre the only one who remembers either of those somethings i already forgot forever

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
SMT is actually an interesting novelty because, while the first one came out after dragon quest, it was only just barely after. Rather than being derived from DQ, it's derived from the same games DQ is derived from, wizardry and ultima and the like. So the mainline SMT series is like a little peek into a world of what JRPGs might have been if dragon quest hadn't been so overwhelmingly popular that it became the touchstone genre definer.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Rinkles posted:

Do you guys and gals look up stat optimization in these games? I was always off put by having to make permanent build decisions without having enough context.

I try my best to avoid that in any game. Games where you can create a build that SHOULD work well but doesn't are probably bad.

I also really like game with free or low-cost respec. Especially the free ones, allowing you to change your build depending on the task you are about to undertake adds a whole new layer of strategy.

cheetah7071 posted:

A well-designed game with those kind of irrevocable build decisions will make you feel powerful no matter what you do so you never even think you're doing anything wrong even if you have the worst build

Yeah, that

Walla posted:

I remember my mother invited us down to Myrtle Beach one year when my kid was about 5. 2 adults and a toddler and a ton of luggage in a 5 speed Mazda doesn't make for a fun 8 hour drive. One of the worst vacations ever.

When I was a kid I had a bad habit of becoming ill on family trips, usually due to outer ear infections, which I am prone to, and which were caused by too much swimming in hotel pools. In Mexico one time I got an ear infection so bad I had to go to the hospital because the swelling was pushing on my brain and could've legitimately killed me, and a similar though less serious thing happened on an east coast trip.

On another family trip my brother got the stomach flu and spent the whole time, including while we were driving, throwing up nonstop. And another time my sister got poison oak all over her face and refused to leave her room the entire trip lol

Despite that I still remember them fondly for the most part.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Monkey Fracas posted:

kids are extremely weird, emotionally/physically fragile little things and it's not your fault

just how it is

One time my wife and I were going out to eat with my sister-in-law at some Italian restaurant and her 8-year old son ordered pizza. Being a restaurant, they served it like a personal pizza instead of as a single slice and he was INCONSOLABLE about it, refusing to eat it and throwing a tantrum because it wasn't shaped like a triangle (even though it was very clearly cut into triangular slices). I feel like most fiction really fails to capture the utter irrationality and weirdness of children.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On the plus side, if your kids are still peeing themselves and throwing tantrums over pizza into adulthood, then they have a loving and accepting community of like minded people here on Somethingawful.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I could go for some pizza today

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The surest sign that I am a more mature adult than I give myself credit for is that I could, if I wanted to, eat pizza every day, and yet I exercise restraint

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harrow posted:

The surest sign that I am a more mature adult than I give myself credit for is that I could, if I wanted to, eat pizza every day, and yet I exercise restraint

I have the discipline to run 60 miles every week because I sure as hell don't have the discipline to not eat pizza every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Monkey Fracas posted:

I don't get too much anxiety from toilets but I did hate the toilets at my last office, they were auto-flush and I guess I sit too far forward for the sensor so they'd just randomly go off 2-3 times.

I hate wasting water too so that upset me more than the noise. I actually started putting a piece of TP over the sensor so it'd stop.