Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008

Things can get better. You just gotta be willing to take the chance.
And hopefully, less TERF and "well no I didn't say it, or even imply or allude to it, anywhere in the text, but now that it's socially acceptable, they are totally gay ;) trust me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Considering I've been looking for Hogwarts but without Rowling, this sounds great.

E: Exactly what The Transhumanist said.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Goons all up in here crit failing their Sense Joke rolls.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The goon way.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Magic academy sounds like a neat setting assuming they don't just blow up the academy at the end of the first book and turn it into a standard "save the world" plotline somehow. If it actually sticks to the frame and maintains the academy as a fully populated and functional institution through the whole path I'll be amazed.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

They have the outline up, and it seems the academy sticks around.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
At least until the first paintball game

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
A magic school like no other! The oldest and most prestigious magic academy in the world is the Magaambya, an ancient institution founded by the greatest wizard the world has ever known. This wizard vanished long ago, but his sinister enemies plot against his school and those who attend it. Over their long academic career, the heroes rise from humble students to become teachers, and they ultimately hold the fate of the Magaambya magic academy in their hands. Graduates of the Magaambya are among the greatest wardens of the world, but if the heroes can't marshal the strength of thousands who have come before them, the venerable Magaambya might fall!

Kindled Magic (1 of 6): School's in session! The newest students at the venerable Magaambya school of magic must begin their academic careers with tests of their skill and resourcefulness. The heroes can learn much from their teachers and fellow students, but must beware of mysterious secrets and sinister plots. The rigors facing any Magaambya students are steep, but the heroes must also contend with strange infestations and supernatural intruders in the school's ancient halls. Education is far from easy at the oldest and most prestigious magic academy in the world!

Spoken on the Song Wind (2 of 6): Trouble in the Academy! The heroes have proven themselves to be worthy additions to Magaambya school of magic, but they are still students. Trusted to handle important school business in the surrounding city of Nantambu, the Song-Wind City, the heroes confront a vengeful alchemist, stealthy infiltrators, and other dangers. A mysterious artifact housed within the Magaambya might be the source of the school's recent troubles, but can the students discover its secrets, protect their fellow students, and still graduate?

Hurricane's Howl (3 of 6): The Students Become the Masters! Lore-speakers are the teachers of the Magaambya school of magic, and the heroes have graduated and joined their ranks. Sent with their students to the edge of the Mwangi Expanse, these new teachers must unearth ancient ruins while keeping themselves and their students out of danger. When a student vanishes, the heroes uncover a nefarious plot to subjugate the rain-lashed Sodden Lands. They must liberate a town, stop an evil cult, and show their students how heroes stand as wardens of the world.

Secrets of the Temple-City (4 of 6): From the Necropolis to the Lost City! As trusted teachers at the Magaambya school of magic, the heroes are sent on a delicate diplomatic mission to a city ruled by an evil mummy-god. During these negotiations, the heroes unearth the location of a wondrous hidden village that needs the Magaambya's knowledge and protection. But the mummy-god's military is on the march. If the heroes can't thwart the army, it will plunder the village's treasures and unleash an ancient evil contained since the world was covered in darkness!

Doorway to the Red Star (5 of 6): The trail of a long-vanished ally leads to the other side of a magical portal called the Doorway to the Red Star. The heroes must earn the trust of the portal's guardians then travel through it—to another planet of red sands and high adventure! Working to gain allies among scholarly brain-people and shifty ratfolk, the heroes must infiltrate a massive airship and fight to free their ally from an insidious trap on an alien world!

Shadows of the Ancients (6 of 6): Save the Magaambya! The heroes return to the Magaambya magic academy to find the villain they'd vanquished on a distant planet had set another scheme in motion long ago. Students and teachers have been twisted by evil magic, and the heroes must engage in legendary tests to gain the means to free them. While a monstrous foe thrashes through the Magaambya, it's up to the heroes to save the school from utter destruction!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

2e posted:

Description A roiling red orb, forged from a drop of the god Rovagug’s blood, rains fire from the sky when a specified condition is met.
Disable DC 48 Thievery (legendary) to imbue thieves’ tools with aspects representing Asmodeus and Sarenrae and use them to drain away the orb’s power over 10 minutes; the character attempting this check takes 5 fire damage each round until the orb is depleted

I know everyone else has had this realisation months/years ago, but how is this game so good? I genuinely don't understand. They even made disarming traps rad.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

I'm nearing Chapter 5 of running Runelords right now and this AP seems so cool I'm strongly tempted to try and switch my players over to 2E. They love all the options in 1E though and some of my players are not exactly... rule focused... so getting them to learn a new system may be impossible. Worst case scenario I may just hand-port it over to 1E.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Chaotic Evil option - run Runelords for them again, but in Savage Worlds.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

This is very excellent sounding and makes me wish I still had a PF group.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I haven't started playing 2e yet but I'm still gonna pick up this AP...

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Let’s also not ignore that this isn’t just hogwarts, it’s Hogwarts, Africa.

Jury is out on whether they manage to pull off that second part, but I guess things look promising?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

zachol posted:

This is very excellent sounding and makes me wish I still had a PF group.

loving same. :smith:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

Let’s also not ignore that this isn’t just hogwarts, it’s Hogwarts, Africa.

Jury is out on whether they manage to pull off that second part, but I guess things look promising?

Their setting book for that region is already out and by all accounts it's pretty good.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Megazver posted:

Their setting book for that region is already out and by all accounts it's pretty good.

That’s the looks promising part. :)

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I've been invited to play this game with some friends, and I've never touched the system before. Is there any sort of hexblade/swordmage build or support that exists? It's one of my favourite archetypes to play.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

berenzen posted:

I've been invited to play this game with some friends, and I've never touched the system before. Is there any sort of hexblade/swordmage build or support that exists? It's one of my favourite archetypes to play.

Yes! The class is called the magus. In Pathfinder 1e, it's in Ultimate Magic; in 2e it is in the upcoming Secrets of Magic book (September) but the playtest version should be pretty easy to track down (and is quite playable already).

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

berenzen posted:

1e or 2e? If it's 1e, then the Magus class is exactly what you want. The Magus isn't out for 2e for another month or so yet. Secrets of Magic will release at GenCon, and the PDF comes out August 25th.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
For 2e, you can fake most of your way by using the Bard class and just not taking the more performance-y class feats.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
There's also eldritch archer dedication. It has a 3 action ability to shoot an arrow and apply a spell attack off one roll. Spell has to be 1 or 2 actions and use a spell attack roll. This leads to the ultimate boss killing machine:

Venom Tail Kobold Eldritch Archer Investigator

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Harold Fjord posted:

There's also eldritch archer dedication. It has a 3 action ability to shoot an arrow and apply a spell attack off one roll. Spell has to be 1 or 2 actions and use a spell attack roll. This leads to the ultimate boss killing machine:

Maybe if the boss is a housecat.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Toshimo posted:

Maybe if the boss is a housecat.

At level one those will crit the gently caress outta you

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Harold Fjord posted:

Please tell me how this works.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Anyone here good enough at 1e and 2e to maybe help critique the 1e Anadi writeup I'm working on?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

blastron posted:

Please tell me how this works.

Investigators have "Devise a Strategem" which lets them pre-roll and use Int for their attacks. It's a free action against the target of leads they are following, so usually a boss or other "named" enemy.

Devise a Strategem posted:

Choose a creature you can see and roll a d20. If you Strike the chosen creature later this round, you must use the result of the roll you made to Devise a Stratagem for your Strike's attack roll instead of rolling."

So you know what your roll will be. So you Devise, then if it will hit you apply venom to your weapon then the target, or you Eldritch Shot your strongest spell knowing it will hit. The latter only works with devise as a free action because ES is 3 actions.

Eldritch Shot posted:

Activate Three Actions Eldritch Shot; Requirements You are wielding a bow; Effect You Cast a Spell that takes 1 or 2 actions to cast and requires a spell attack roll. The effects of the spell do not occur immediately but are imbued into the bow you're wielding. Make a Strike with that bow. Your spell flies with the ammunition, using your attack roll result to determine the effects of both the Strike and the spell. This counts as two attacks for your multiple attack penalty, but you don't apply the penalty until after you've completed both attacks.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 26, 2021

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The real value of the combo is in pre-rolling with Devise a Stratagem, and using that to load up all your spell slots with stuff with kickin' rad critical success effects that you can decide to use after you've already rolled (but that would be much more of a gamble otherwise). Venomtail Kobold doesn't add much to that other than being something to throw in when you know it's going to be a hit but not a critical.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Roadie posted:

The real value of the combo is in pre-rolling with Devise a Stratagem, and using that to load up all your spell slots with stuff with kickin' rad critical success effects that you can decide to use after you've already rolled (but that would be much more of a gamble otherwise). Venomtail Kobold doesn't add much to that other than being something to throw in when you know it's going to be a hit but not a critical.

I'm confused, is there a feat that lets you apply Devise a Stratagem to spell rolls instead of the Strike action that I missed?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I'm confused, is there a feat that lets you apply Devise a Stratagem to spell rolls instead of the Strike action that I missed?

Eldritch Shot (quoted above) copies your bow strike result to the spell result (see quote above).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Strength of Thousands player's guide is out. Looks pretty good. They handle the magic school aspect by giving every character a free druid or wizard dedication.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Got invited to play in a Strength of Thousands campaign and I'm very hyped! Our dm allows any free archetype, as long as your character is somehow magical (so a wizard could archetype into whatever, as his class already fulfills the criteria).

I'm playing a ratfolk (reskinned as a Meerkat) Alchemist bomber with Witch dedication. Should be fun!

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 29, 2021

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Luebbi posted:

Got invited to play in a Strength of Thousands campaign and I'm very hyped! Our dm allows any free archetype, as long as your character is somehow magical (so a wizard could archetype into whatever, as his class already fulfills the criteria).

I think if I were running it, instead of forcing Wizard or Druid, I'd come up with a list of magical archetypes martials were allowed to take and let anyone with innate arcane, divine, occult or primal spellcasting take anything. Also, I'd probably rule that everyone has to be trained in either arcana or nature (given that that's one of the core effects of forcing Wizard or Druid).

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Jealous! I am strongly tempted to join a paid game of this (just to ensure consistency a bit for a group of randos) before running it. It would help to have the system nailed down a little better too if I want to try and switch my PF1 group over to 2.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

I think if I were running it, instead of forcing Wizard or Druid, I'd come up with a list of magical archetypes martials were allowed to take and let anyone with innate arcane, divine, occult or primal spellcasting take anything. Also, I'd probably rule that everyone has to be trained in either arcana or nature (given that that's one of the core effects of forcing Wizard or Druid).

I'd allow occult casters as exchange students or something.
Or maybe they were homeschooled?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

The only reason they seem to want you to do wizard/druid is because the academia subsystem is probably tied to Arcana/Nature, it's not a balance issue it's more of a "Your player will be sad when they "have" to roll untrained arcana a bunch of times and fail all their classes." I'm not DMing so I haven't seen the academia rules, but the player's guide makes it sound that way. We're dropping our PF1E campaign to run Strength of Thousands in a month or 2 once there're a few more books out and secrets of magic is available and we've had time to look over it. Looks super fun. I'm planning a Grippli Magus right now, but want to see how the class actually turned out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

M. Night Skymall posted:

The only reason they seem to want you to do wizard/druid is because the academia subsystem is probably tied to Arcana/Nature, it's not a balance issue it's more of a "Your player will be sad when they "have" to roll untrained arcana a bunch of times and fail all their classes." I'm not DMing so I haven't seen the academia rules, but the player's guide makes it sound that way. We're dropping our PF1E campaign to run Strength of Thousands in a month or 2 once there're a few more books out and secrets of magic is available and we've had time to look over it. Looks super fun. I'm planning a Grippli Magus right now, but want to see how the class actually turned out.

The Magambya (spelling faults are mine I’m on the phone) have explicitly been Druids and Wizards since PF1e, with archetypes/prestige classes specifically set up for that combination. So it’s a deliberate narrative/worldbuilding choice.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
You can probably make non-wizard/druid stuff work, but expect the DM to have to do some adaptation. Given the haphazard way APs are put together I wouldn't be surprised to see something tossed in at some point that explicitly requires somebody in the group have wild shape or a spellbook or whatever.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I'd try out 2e to try out this path, I think, it seems really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The Golux posted:

I'd try out 2e to try out this path, I think, it seems really cool.

2e is pretty good.

Just make sure you keep in mind that it's really not a direct 3.x derivative outside of the basic idea of "roll high on d20". A lot of basic stuff around the expected math, action system, saves, etc doesn't work the same as a 3.x game.