Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I’m really glad I got to fight Pure Vessel. Super satisfying when I finally beat his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bike tory posted:

Took me about 45 minutes to get the hang of his moves but nightmare king is dead. I don't think I can be hosed with the godmaster stuff tbh, I loathe boss rushes. Is there any way to fight the new bosses on their own without having to slog through all the other bosses?

Serephina posted:

Explicitly yes, Godhome is split into the pantheons (aka boss rush mode), and a corridor of statues where you can fight any boss you've unlocked. This also includes NKG, which lets you fight him without having to blood sacrifice small children, you monster.

Ehhhh, with a huge caveat there Serephina.

The problem is you can't challenge the solo boss fights until you've seen them. For all the normal bosses that's fine, but to get to see the new godhome exclusive bosses, you have to do the boss rushes, sadly, yes.

The good news is as soon as you get to a new boss on a boss rush, you can just die and then you can fight that boss 1-on-1 all you want. But you do need to see that boss first. (You may be able to like, cheat engine through this?)

I will say if you can do NKG then the first 3 boss rushes should be easy enough for you, and almost fun. But then they get real.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 15, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i think if you start a godhome file, the godhome-exclusive bosses are already unlocked (mostly). not sure what you have to do to unlock that option though, maybe the first 3 pantheons lol.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

b_d posted:

i think if you start a godhome file, the godhome-exclusive bosses are already unlocked (mostly). not sure what you have to do to unlock that option though, maybe the first 3 pantheons lol.

Yeah you have to do the first 3 pantheons to unlock godhome mode. But that's at least not too terrible.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I found 4 easier than 3 to be honest, at least up to Pure Vessel.

It was all worth it for Sisters of Battle.

edit: Launched the game for the first time in like 18 months, went straight to SoB. Still incredible. The way you dance and weave through, I don't know if there's another fight in the game with this kind of rhythm.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 15, 2021

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

The problem is you can't challenge the solo boss fights until you've seen them. For all the normal bosses that's fine, but to get to see the new godhome exclusive bosses, you have to do the boss rushes, sadly, yes.

Yeah this is what I wanted to know. I looked up the last pantheon and it's a long as gently caress list of bosses that I don't want to slog through just to unlock the new ones. Maybe some day I'll come back to it but I genuinely dont think it'd be worth it right now.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

bike tory posted:

Yeah this is what I wanted to know. I looked up the last pantheon and it's a long as gently caress list of bosses that I don't want to slog through just to unlock the new ones. Maybe some day I'll come back to it but I genuinely dont think it'd be worth it right now.

Beating the first three Pantheons unlocks Godseeker mode. Making a savefile for Godseeker puts you in Godhome with all bosses unlocked asides from the super ultimate final boss of the last Pantheon. You can sample all the new stuff, including Pure Vessel, from there.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The first two pantheons are pretty easy, too.

I'm not saying don't step away from the game for a while. But HK is a game that always draws me back in to try the next thing, and finishing the first 3 pantheons isn't too bad, especially if you're capable of taking down NKG after only 45 minutes.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Alxprit posted:

Beating the first three Pantheons unlocks Godseeker mode. Making a savefile for Godseeker puts you in Godhome with all bosses unlocked asides from the super ultimate final boss of the last Pantheon. You can sample all the new stuff, including Pure Vessel, from there.

Whaaaat!! I thought I had to beat the 4th one, which I ended up giving up on, resigned to never trying sistahs of battle or pure vessel, but this changes everything!!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
They should really just all be unlocked from the start. I consider Hollow Knight a 99% perfect game but it's stuff like that (along with "the compass really shouldn't be a charm") that makes up that missing 1%.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Really into this game lately, coming up on (what I think is) the end of my first playthrough and I'm just left wondering why the White Palace is full of so many buzzsaws

Like, most of the other platforming challenge areas make some kind of sense, eg "the queen's garden is untended and there are thorns everywhere" or "this big lake thing has gone acidic and the only way over is bouncing on these mushrooms" or "Deepnest hates you and wants you to die", and then you enter (a dream-state version of) the royal palace and it's just a big Super Meat Boy level in there for some reason

Just an odd little quirk

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i took it as a manifestation of the Pale King's arrogance and paranoia. his mind contains two things, courtiers who only exist to die for his sake and deathtraps for anyone who would dare intrude

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

loquacius posted:

Really into this game lately, coming up on (what I think is) the end of my first playthrough and I'm just left wondering why the White Palace is full of so many buzzsaws

Like, most of the other platforming challenge areas make some kind of sense, eg "the queen's garden is untended and there are thorns everywhere" or "this big lake thing has gone acidic and the only way over is bouncing on these mushrooms" or "Deepnest hates you and wants you to die", and then you enter (a dream-state version of) the royal palace and it's just a big Super Meat Boy level in there for some reason

Just an odd little quirk

the dream palace is a mental construct of the pale king designed to stop any intruders ferreting around his mind/soul for the secrets therein

now, why the pale king chose buzzsaws specifically is a riddle left unsolved

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

nobody knows. the only rationalization i’ve heard is it’s a dream version of the palace and the king wanted it to be really well protected, which is also why you need a lot of points to even get in. still pretty random

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Something I was thinking about the other day is it a dream version of the palace, or did the king move the palace to the dream realm? A couple characters talk about the palace just disappearing one day.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Something I was thinking about the other day is it a dream version of the palace, or did the king move the palace to the dream realm? A couple characters talk about the palace just disappearing one day.

it could be both? the king was probably one of, if not the greatest master of SOUL arts in the world. it wouldn't be out of the question for him to just zap his entire palace into the ether and convert it into a mental lockbox where he could quietly wither away and die

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The King was an amateur carpenter with lax safety standards.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Or Was the palace always a dream in the first place, but one that he was able to manifest into reality, and then wasn't anymore

:tinfoil: when you think about it... pale king is griffith and hollow knight is guts...

the dreamers are sorta the godhand... I guess hornet is skull knight and quirrel is casca? lol

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 16, 2021

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also, the way you get in is by dream-blading a guard, who (pending some sort of reveal since I haven't finished it yet) is not the King, kind of an odd trigger

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Re Dreamers, I did the Watcher last and had been all psyched up to see which well-established NPC was going to turn out to be his disciple, like Hornet for the Beast or Quirrell for the Teacher, and it turned out to just be one of the lame nobleman enemies with no name or dialogue v:mad:v

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

loquacius posted:

Also, the way you get in is by dream-blading a guard, who (pending some sort of reveal since I haven't finished it yet) is not the King, kind of an odd trigger

that one's easier to explain. the kingsmoulds aren't true individuals, they're voidstuff that the king smashed into suits of armor and enthralled with his magic. their minds are just extensions of the king's will, so it makes some sense that one of them would give you a direct circuit to the king's own dream

now, the weird one is the collector, who seems to have been a kingsmould that either escaped or didn't integrate with its armor and went loopy afterward

loquacius posted:

Re Dreamers, I did the Watcher last and had been all psyched up to see which well-established NPC was going to turn out to be his disciple, like Hornet for the Beast or Quirrell for the Teacher, and it turned out to just be one of the lame nobleman enemies with no name or dialogue v:mad:v

that was his butler. lurien's definitely the least-developed of the dreamers, all we really know is that he was a recluse with a profound devotion to the king

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 16, 2021

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

have you all considered that maybe the king just wanted to build a rad danger course for his immortal void children to play on??

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When I think about it, the White Palace kinda tracks. The Pale King has the whole sealed Abyss thing, which is basically the equivalent of having a secret basement filled with all of your failed scientific expirements, if the experiments were also your own children. This is a guy who has repressed everything.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

update: have now finished the White Palace, it took the entirety of my baby's afternoon nap but it's done, and I am glad to see the end of it

Hiveblood + Grubsong charms made it doable, if a bit more annoying because it meant there was a built-in period of like ten or fifteen seconds after every respawn where I had to just kind of stand there and wait for my honey mask to grow back

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hiveblood ain’t worth it for white palace, it takes so long. I would pair Grubsong with Deep Focus instead, so you need to heal only after every other mistake.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

skasion posted:

Hiveblood ain’t worth it for white palace, it takes so long. I would pair Grubsong with Deep Focus instead, so you need to heal only after every other mistake.

I looked at the numbers for the hollow knight lp, this combo gives you 11 times the base healing power. It's theoretically possible to run out of attempts but courtiers / statues are plentiful enough I have trouble imaging it actually happening. Having tried it both ways it's 100% the better option.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i'm convinced that Hiveblood is half the reason people hate White Palace. it's a "solution" to the obvious problem with WP's design that actually makes the experience worse

unfortunately it's also a lot easier to find Hiveblood organically by that point in the game than the Grubsong + Deep Focus combo

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

My least favourite part of the game was the spike platforming puzzles and I actually enjoyed the white palace thanks to hiveblood because it took all the pressure off to succeed within a certain number of attempts. Grubsong and deep focus might've done the same thing but I didn't mind waiting a bit between attempts

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I figure people sleep on Deep Focus because the longer charge time makes it seemingly unusable in combat, ie the place in which players usually need the most healing.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

White Palace is where I gave up trying to platform, specifically the part with 8 or 9 buzzsaws in a row and if you hit any of them you have to start over, even though there's a safe spot halfway through. It took me ten tries to get to the safe spot and I hit the next one and it sent me back to the beginning and I was like "actually this isn't my idea of fun" so I used the debug mod to just give myself unlimited life.
Up until that point the only really bullshit platforming imo was to get to the swordmaster in Greenpath (? or the Gardens) where you have to nail bounce on those enemies...and of course once I got the dreamgate and set it up I did it second try.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The White Palace is extremely good imo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i love White Palace but it would be much better if it just suspended the normal damage/death mechanics and instantly respawned you at the last checkpoint each time you failed a section

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It would be much better if you could just skip it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mymla posted:

It would be much better if you could just skip it.

good news, you already can lol

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i know video games have trained people to be obsessive completionists but "you did your very best and sacrificed everything, and all it achieved was a temporary solution" is very much in keeping with, like, literally everything else that happens in Hollow Knight thematically.

it's a "bad" ending from the perspective of the characters (arguably, because the cinematic for the "good" ending kind of implies that the protagonist may have become a threat in his own right and the Godseeker ending makes it explicit) but it's not as if it's inferior in an aesthetic sense. tragic or bittersweet are not worse than triumphant

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

good news, you already can lol

yea good news you can skip the entire game by just uninstalling it

heaven forbid someone might want to see the part of the game that the white palace unlocks without having to wade through the sewer level that is the white palace

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the counter-point to this is that you could argue that the very fact that it's locked behind more difficult content is what makes it more prestigious, but if you believe that then you're already accepted the value system of "git gud" and are simply having a negative reaction to it. either embrace it fully or reject it fully

if you insist on doing things by half measures, you are the source of your own suffering

Mymla posted:

yea good news you can skip the entire game by just uninstalling it

heaven forbid someone might want to see the part of the game that the white palace unlocks without having to wade through the sewer level that is the white palace

there's this crazy newfangled invention called "YouTube"

if you have an immediate, instinctive revulsion to the thought of watching an ending you haven't earned for yourself, then see above

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
please stop doing whatever it is you think you're doing right now

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I mean I skipped Darker Side in Mario Odyssey and just watched a YouTube run, but (a) that was harder than White Palace, and (b) I don't think it actually unlocked any further content, bc it was the further content

Also I don't think I have ever used Deep Focus lol, too late now v:v:v

I probably won't use Hiveblood again either for that matter because it also doesn't have much combat utility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I also crapped out of playing Cave Story when I got to the part of the game that felt like a challenge mod and just accepted a bad ending, but I won't have to do that here unless the end boss of this path is that bad