Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

Ultimate Spellbook should be fun as poo poo, but matchmaking is really bad for it. Most games that I have seen have high Plat all the way down to low Bronze in the same matches. They are invariably a loving curbstomp by the players who are way-the-gently caress-better

I'm starting to get this kind of bizarre matchmaking in normal unranked draft as well. Which is really weird because my friends and I are all solidly high bronze/low silver and we're honestly kicking the poo poo out of some of the high golds we're up against somehow.

Knowing that the VALORANT MMR system is intentionally incredibly hosed up (your rank is not actually your MMR, and your MMR is detached from the rank icon shown, so you can be bronze 1 and have the same MMR as someone who's gold 4) for ~*engagement*~ reasons I wonder if they're shifting League's matchmaking system to be more like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

I'm starting to get this kind of bizarre matchmaking in normal unranked draft as well. Which is really weird because my friends and I are all solidly high bronze/low silver and we're honestly kicking the poo poo out of some of the high golds we're up against somehow.

Knowing that the VALORANT MMR system is intentionally incredibly hosed up (your rank is not actually your MMR, and your MMR is detached from the rank icon shown, so you can be bronze 1 and have the same MMR as someone who's gold 4) for ~*engagement*~ reasons I wonder if they're shifting League's matchmaking system to be more like that.

League has had your rank and your MMR separate for most of its existence. Normals also use a separate MMR from ranked.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Syrinxx posted:

Ultimate Spellbook should be fun as poo poo, but matchmaking is really bad for it. Most games that I have seen have high Plat all the way down to low Bronze in the same matches. They are invariably a loving curbstomp by the players who are way-the-gently caress-better

huh, so it's the same type of matchmaking as all the other matchmaking in league

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah the matchmaking in the rotating game modes is dogshit, its why I don't play them anymore. I liked nexus blitz when it first came out but the second time it came around was also the first time I had a legitimate iron tier player on my team and god drat that was rough

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

People also get super ragey in the rotating modes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

njsykora posted:

People also get super ragey in the rotating modes.

Shen Zhao causes people to alt+F4

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

henkman posted:

Yeah the matchmaking in the rotating game modes is dogshit, its why I don't play them anymore. I liked nexus blitz when it first came out but the second time it came around was also the first time I had a legitimate iron tier player on my team and god drat that was rough

I can understand having separate MMR for the game modes, but they really should sample at least a little of your highest MMR across all modes.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Woah I got the end of the first bit of the new event and the new yordle is there! Her name is Vex she looks pretty sweet

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Me and my group have been getting, for the past 2 months so, get a plat player or 2 in our games every so often. We're all solidly high silver/low gold, so I'm not sure how this happens but we always get our poo poo kicked in. It's become common enough that we actually noticed a trend and measured it - about one every 8-10 games or so.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Syrinxx posted:

last match of ultimate spellbook i was in a game where i was the lowest ranked at silver 4, the next lowest was diamond 1.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Anyone in NA west been getting the occasional match where the whole server just stutters and rubber bands every 5-15 seconds? Over the past few days my group has been getting absolutely screwed once or twice a night by matches where abilities fire in the wrong order and actions get skipped due to lag and people rubber band around during lag spikes that everyone feels at the same time.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I love Ultimate Spellbook and wish it would replace actual League, honestly. I could take or leave the extra ultimates, though, it's just the increased tempo that makes it so much fun. Almost every game I've played is over by 20 minutes, and a lot of them are ~15 minute concessions after one team gets stomped in a few fights. And it made me realize I never want to play a game of regular LoL again because I just hate hate hate the possibility of getting stuck in the 30-40 minute slogfests that normal games can turn into, especially when I might have blown my lane and have to play from behind, especially especially because I like playing tanks and a tank that gets stomped in lane just gets blown up in every teamfight. I've gotten stomped in lane a couple times in US but whatever, join up for a teamfight or two and then the game's over. I'm not sure exactly what all the differences are -- seems like increased GP/5, passive gold from minions, background exp gain, towers fall faster, and a mysterious buff that makes some champions weaker or stronger? It's the most fun I've had with League since I came back to it, and it really throws into stark contrast how much stress I have when I play a real game and risk being stuck getting styled on for 45 minutes.

Is there a good build for Tanky AP this season, by the way? Back in the day I used to do a fun build if I was ahead on Cho'Gath or Malphite or Nunu or someone, something like Rod of Ages into Rylai or Liandry and Frostfire Gauntlet (back when it used to have AP and more armor on it). I'm not sure if there's a similar build anymore after all the item changes, something that will let me get reasonably tanky while also having some decent damage on my abilities lategame.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the actual quality of the writing isn't great in Rise of the Sentinels, but what is great is sentinel vayne's artwork not having directionality so she looks like an awkward loving nerd next to everyone else

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That is good character direction for Vayne.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Akshan's concept is fun but all the stuff bolted on to him is just :psyduck: inducing. Just the lucian passive on itself is crazy; every auto attack automatically fires a second attack that counts as an auto attack... doesn't that make all the on-hit items crazy on him? Conqueror stacks twice as fast, ruined king procs off of it, etc...

e: his camo has inverse mana cost scaling (it costs less as you level it up) and without any cooldown reduction at lvl 5 it has a two second cooldown and costs zero mana. This feels so weird I hope it indicates there's going to be massive tweaking before release.

...right? :(

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Mindblast posted:

Akshan's concept is fun but all the stuff bolted on to him is just :psyduck: inducing. Just the lucian passive on itself is crazy; every auto attack automatically fires a second attack that counts as an auto attack... doesn't that make all the on-hit items crazy on him? Conqueror stacks twice as fast, ruined king procs off of it, etc...

e: his camo has inverse mana cost scaling (it costs less as you level it up) and without any cooldown reduction at lvl 5 it has a two second cooldown and costs zero mana. This feels so weird I hope it indicates there's going to be massive tweaking before release.

...right? :(

He only gets 40% of bonus attack speed to make up for his passive and his camo detection range is gigantic so it's only really good for roaming between lanes which he can do with one point anyway because it's extended when he walks near walls.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Welcome to modern League of Legends champion design! New and completely reworked champs get a passive plus one additional passive on every single one of their abilities, meaning that they have a whopping nine character mechanics whereas most older champs have four active abilities and a passive ability. Couple this with Riot's inability to come up with new and interesting ideas (having basically completely exhausted the potential for new stuff in a relatively constrained game format without reworking every single base game mechanical detail), and you get all these new champs that are just the best parts of other champs thrown together and Riot wonders why good players end up going 25/2/15 with them.

I'm still miffed that Gwen has Sett's haymaker without the shield and Xin Zhao's whole rear end fuckin' ult as a basic ability with a 22-14 second cooldown.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 15, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I imagine Xin Zhao mains cry a little inside everytime they get CCed from outside of their ult circle and think of how Gwen just completely ignores the CC instead.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I imagine Xin Zhao mains cry a little inside everytime they get CCed from outside of their ult circle and think of how Gwen just completely ignores the CC instead.

They’re probably too busy dashing half a screen and knocking up the ADC.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

We do. :smith:

Lord_Magmar posted:

They’re probably too busy dashing half a screen and knocking up the ADC.

But also this. :kheldragar:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i know temporary modes drop in popularity fast but i'd really like to enjoy and play ultimate spellbook without either A) absolutely wild swings in MMR between teams, or B) the enemy team has 5 players on voice comms while i'm paired with 2 random people and a duo

the actual concept of the mode is a blast but the probability that it's an absolutely unfun slog is just way too loving high

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Why is Morde so popular? It's like he's in 1/5 of my games.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

His most recent skin is cool and good and forcing a 1v1 is fun.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

He's reasonably easy to play with some decent skill expression once you get a handle on him, and his kit - especially his R - means that he can force favorable all-ins in a lot of circumstances, especially if he gets 2v1ed. I think they really nailed his reworked aesthetic, too, which is always a big draw for people.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

He's a large beefman with a gigantic mace, a shitload of magic damage with alright AP scaling, a self-shield that self-heals on recast, and a button that puts someone in the penalty box with him for long enough to turn anyone squishier than him into a fine pink mist. There's something incredibly viscerally satisfying about grabbing a threat and taking them out of a teamfight and into a space where you can either utterly demolish them or keep them focused on you for long enough for your team to make the overall fight a winning one so that when your victim pops back out into the rift your whole team just unloads on them and you all run it down mid.

Your Q does a "cosmetic critical strike" (a hit that does crit strike damage, but doesn't count as a crit for interaction purposes) if it only hits a single target, meaning as soon as you put someone in the penalty box, you're guaranteed that your Q will always do 175% damage when it hits.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 15, 2021

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I just wish Ultimate Spellbook had bans

Actually they need to just go buckwild and make a game mode where every one of your abilities is just a random ability from any champion.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pussy Quipped posted:

Actually they need to just go buckwild and make a game mode where every one of your abilities is just a random ability from any champion.

:eyepop:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I want ability draft from dota.

Guess the Character

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Ezreal

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kassadin?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Ryze?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Nautilus?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Lulu?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Vel'Koz?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
OP has gone so something vaguely related, was playing a ranked game and Top locked in rakan. I should've dodged but I'm a good egg so just asked hey, how does top rakan work? They told me they went ap/tank and it was sick

They went 2/10 and we lost real bad

Malah
May 18, 2015

Karma?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Those items...Malphite?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
GOD I love playing teemo so much. it's so fun to look at every loving senna support/ad assassin and tell them to die

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I want ability draft from dota.

Guess the Character

It was Veigar mid. The enemy draven was 11-0 and building lethality so i just went full-on tank. Still had like 800 ap from farm + spell stacks and all the mana stacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I saw a Veigar go full tank in an ARAM a while back and it was hilarious because they still got good damage just off the passive and were absolutely unkillable.