Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.

Buglord
Yep exactly. I've tried exactly what you suggested, but then the horse's legs comes out the width of a hair and that doesn't print well :)

Luckily I found what I'm looking for on Wargaming3d!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Generally, yes. But other than small readjustments, you can get some weird effects going from something like a 28mm to 6mm.

It could be that the file is optimized to print at 1", so at 6mm the arms will snap off if you look at them too hard. Or the legs won't support the body. Enlarging isn't as tricky, but it can exaggerate some weird proportions and may lack details.

I've been "de-heroic" the figures from March To Hell by shrinking the X and Y 85% while leaving the Z alone, and that's worked excellently.

Efb!

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Ensign Expendable posted:

The Panzer IV had ammo stuffed into every crevice, stored vertically in unarmoured bins. A penetration of the fighting compartment was pretty much a guaranteed ammunition fire. This was never resolved, but for some reason only the Sherman gets a special rule.

Russians/Shermans get a negative thing while the Germans who had the exact same negative thing in greater measure do not.

Credit where credit is due - one of the things Battlefront has been much better at with 4th Edition is cutting down on all those stupid memes. Shermans no longer have a survivability penalty, Soviet tanks no longer have the infamous hen and chicks rule (can't move/shoot). Komissars no longer randomly shoot your own troops (They just provide a morale boost). The SS are now shittier than standard Heer troops and not uber-mensch elite troops who somehow fight extremely well despite being fresh from training.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 16, 2021

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Yep exactly. I've tried exactly what you suggested, but then the horse's legs comes out the width of a hair and that doesn't print well :)

Luckily I found what I'm looking for on Wargaming3d!

Linky? I'm in the same boat with EU.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

tomdidiot posted:

Credit where credit is due - one of the things Battlefront has been much better at with 4th Edition is cutting down on all those stupid memes. Shermans no longer have a survivability penalty, Soviet tanks no longer have the infamous hen and chicks rule (can't move/shoot). Komissars no longer randomly shoot your own troops (They just provide a morale boost). The SS are now shittier than standard Heer troops and not uber-mensch elite troops who somehow fight extremely well despite being fresh from training.

Too bad the rest of the game (4th) went downhill.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.

Buglord

Beerdeer posted:

Linky? I'm in the same boat with EU.

This guy has all the main players
https://www.wargaming3d.com/vendor/mcminiatures/

They're not as quality as Henry Turner's stuff but still prints out decent

EA stuff in the front, MCminiatures cav in the back... Total print time 2 hours. 6mm stuff kicks rear end.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Cessna posted:

Link, Link, also try Steven R. Welch, '"Harsh but Just"? German Military Justice in the Second World War: A Comparative Study of the Court Martialling of German and US Deserters', German History, vol. 17 (1999), no. 3, pp. 369-399.

(Yes, I wrote a paper on this for school and copy.pasted.)

tl;dr - The commonly accepted figure is 15,000 tried and executed for desertion. Given the state of Nazi record keeping and conditions of 1945, it may well have been a much higher number.

Thanks for this info, thats actually super interesting to learn about.

Cessna posted:

"The Polish cavalry charged Nazi tanks with lances" is another example of pure Nazi propaganda often accepted as fact.

Am I correct in understanding that the Polish did send cavalry at the German tank blitzkriegs, but in a way that was actually very useful and tactically sound? Nobody in all of Europe had stood up against these new tanks and tactics, but the Polish cavalry managed to disrupt these overwhelming tank assaults and rescue a significant number of their overrun infantry.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Am I correct in understanding that the Polish did send cavalry at the German tank blitzkriegs, but in a way that was actually very useful and tactically sound? Nobody in all of Europe had stood up against these new tanks and tactics, but the Polish cavalry managed to disrupt these overwhelming tank assaults and rescue a significant number of their overrun infantry.

"The myth likely stems from the Battle of Krojanty in September 1939 at the outset of World War II, when Nazi Germany invaded Poland. On the first day of the war, Polish cavalry charged a German infantry battalion. They initially broke the German ranks, until a counterattack by armored cars with machine guns turned the balance. The charge ended up inflicting heavy losses on the Poles but it worked, delaying the German advance and allowing other Polish forces to retreat. There were no tanks on the battlefield."

So yeah, not even close.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cessna posted:

Why do you feel that? 4th is a huge improvement across the board in my view.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I only played 1/2/4, but from looking at the 3e rulebooks, my impression is that 4th is easier to sit down and play but 3rd is more fun to :hist101:/:awesome: over.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Cessna posted:

I think 4th is the most playable the game has been, although there's a few outstanding annoyances that I wish they'd dump. Tank command and the weird new spotting modifiers mostly.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm grateful for Flames of War producing figures for nearly eveything that existed in WW2, then creating a frustrating mess of a rules set that lets me buy those models cheap as people abandon ship.

(I'd still like to try V4 though.)

This article suggests that while the "cavalry charge tanks" is nazi bullshit, there was an instance of a Polish cav unit blundering (through poor visibility) into a tank column then chasing them off with antitank assets.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

lilljonas posted:

"The myth likely stems from the Battle of Krojanty in September 1939 at the outset of World War II, when Nazi Germany invaded Poland. On the first day of the war, Polish cavalry charged a German infantry battalion. They initially broke the German ranks, until a counterattack by armored cars with machine guns turned the balance. The charge ended up inflicting heavy losses on the Poles but it worked, delaying the German advance and allowing other Polish forces to retreat. There were no tanks on the battlefield."

So yeah, not even close.

moths posted:

This article suggests that while the "cavalry charge tanks" is nazi bullshit, there was an instance of a Polish cav unit blundering (through poor visibility) into a tank column then chasing them off with antitank assets.

Okay, I must've been mixing up stories like this in my mind.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Any goon recommendations on primers to use with GW contrasts that don't cost $20/can? I'd rather use the matte white rustoleum I have on hand if it won't cause cataclysm.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You can use what you like, all the magic is in the paint.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

Any goon recommendations on primers to use with GW contrasts that don't cost $20/can? I'd rather use the matte white rustoleum I have on hand if it won't cause cataclysm.

No idea how it interacts with contrast paints but I REALLY like the Vallejo spray primers. They’re reasonably priced and go on nice and smooth.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

Literally any white or offwhite primer. There is nothing special about the contrast primer.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Battlefront produce lovely tiny tanks to play What A Tanker with.

I was actually going to start playing Flames of War v4, but the only group I have access to is full of weird loving gronks who post ANZAC Day memes about how kids these days don't respect are troops and so I gave up on that idea

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Just reply with that video of those fuckers murdering that Afghan farmer with "gee I wonder why?"

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

It is kinda hosed up how many wildly believed myths of WW2 are out there that are blatant nazi propaganda.

A lot of that has to do with the fact that the political landscape changed so dramatically with western germany having to become the new frontier against Communism right? And german society as a whole not being able to function without allowing former nazis having their former positions of power (and as such, allowing them to further spread all the lies they had to make up to explain how their Aryan Superiority could've faltered in the face of international zionism or w/e).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Endman posted:

Battlefront produce lovely tiny tanks to play What A Tanker with.

I was actually going to start playing Flames of War v4, but the only group I have access to is full of weird loving gronks who post ANZAC Day memes about how kids these days don't respect are troops and so I gave up on that idea

One of the eternal struggles of wargaming.

The other one, of course, being if you want Small Mans for giant battles on the table or Big Mans to lovingly paint every coat facing of every unit at Borodino.

e: the dream ofc being to get really rich and stage 1:1 28mm Borodino over the tennis courts of the local country club.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 18, 2021

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
About to paint a soviet OT tank for BA. Haven't painted a tank ever before, anything to watch out for?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Tias posted:

About to paint a soviet OT tank for BA. Haven't painted a tank ever before, anything to watch out for?

Slogans are cool but were more prevalent on photo ops than on the frontline. Soviet vehicle paint was all over the place and iirc were mixed with whatever was available, so pretty much anything greenish is a ok.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I read somewhere that an olive color (not olive drab, but rather a shade that's closer in tone to a green olive) tended to be pretty close to what's considered the typical color of WW2 Soviet tanks, so if you're not obsessed with being 100% "historically accurate" and having an exact match for the 4BO color, you can probably find some similar (and potentially cheaper) colors out there.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

Slogans are cool but were more prevalent on photo ops than on the frontline. Soviet vehicle paint was all over the place and iirc were mixed with whatever was available, so pretty much anything greenish is a ok.

4BO corresponded to a specific recipe, not just a colour. It was also applied at factories, rather than the field.

Now whitewash, what was applied with whatever was handy, this included both tools and materials.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

4BO corresponded to a specific recipe, not just a colour. It was also applied at factories, rather than the field.

Now whitewash, what was applied with whatever was handy, this included both tools and materials.

Yes but afaik the recipe was not exact, and the paint ended up shifting shades when exposed to the sun, meaning that there's all kinds of light green that were still "4BO".

"The green is based on yellow ochre (40-60%), Zinc Chromate (15-20%), white (10-20% and ultramarine (8-13%). The site notes that attempts to reconstruct it have resulted in greens approximating FS595a 34226 and 258. Both these are fairly light greens. The original document apparently states that the finish should be smooth."

http://matadormodels.co.uk/tank_museum/xcamo_ww2ussr.htm

If you mix 40% or 60% yellow ochre you'd end up with kinda different hues. "Any green at all being ok" might have been a tad exaggeration on my part. "Don't sweat it over the perfect 4BO, since even researchers argue over it, and a lot of lightish greens will be fine" might have been a better way to phrase it.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 18, 2021

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

So you're saying that whitewashing tiny tanks with a Q-tip is a historically accurate replacement for a random rag on a stick? :v:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Also you have to consider you're not fighting with tanks that literally just got out of a drying chamber. You're dealing with tanks that've been, bare minimum, driving over to wherever you're fighting. In all likelihood they'll be sun bleached, worn, dusty, muddy, have had its whitewash cleaned off with alcohol, etc etc.

Also soviet tanks did sometimes use camoflage, too; it was applied in the field and consisted of ochre and brown deforming splodges, applied essentially how seemed best where they were at the time. Mono-green hordes aren't wrong, but "soviets never used camoflage" is ahistorical.

Pierzak posted:

So you're saying that whitewashing tiny tanks with a Q-tip is a historically accurate replacement for a random rag on a stick? :v:

Honestly one nice thing is that the effect white paint usually has in painting, where you're left with a splodgy looking thing with uneven translucency where you can see the colour below through the white, is actually pretty accurate for a lot of rushed whitewash jobs!

Remember to stipple or sponge some green around the hatches where the crew keep grabbing and stepping on things and it's rubbed the whitewash off.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 18, 2021

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Pierzak posted:

That would be a good way to get patterns like these on a small scale:

Here's a good article on Soviet tank camo (sadly only in Russian): https://zen.yandex.ru/media/yuripasholok/nemnogo-opozdavshii-kamufliaj-dlia-sovetskih-tankov-609a62c255f6b841386fd5ff

Some articles I translated:

http://www.tankarchives.ca/2018/05/hide-your-guns.html

http://www.tankarchives.ca/2018/08/red-armys-white-tanks.html

Translated manuals:

http://www.tankarchives.ca/2016/10/how-to-paint-camo-spots.html

http://www.tankarchives.ca/2014/01/soviet-camouflage.html

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Speaking of, do we have colour photos of the DAK troops with uniforms so sun-bleached they became white?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I fretted for ages over what colour to paint my Soviet Tanks, but now I think any of these are fine:

From left to right they're basecoated in Vallejo 70.881 Yellow Green, 70.823 Luftwaffe Cam. Green, and 70.894 Cam. Olive Green.

The KV-1 on the right is what internet groupthink considers the most realistic of these three colours, and the middle is the least realistic but what I happen to like the most personally speaking. :v:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Endman posted:

I fretted for ages over what colour to paint my Soviet Tanks, but now I think any of these are fine:

From left to right they're basecoated in Vallejo 70.881 Yellow Green, 70.823 Luftwaffe Cam. Green, and 70.894 Cam. Olive Green.

The KV-1 on the right is what internet groupthink considers the most realistic of these three colours, and the middle is the least realistic but what I happen to like the most personally speaking. :v:

4BO is supposed to be the colour of wet grass, so the T-34-85 looks correct. The KV-1 is painted the same colour as most tanks were in museums post war, which is why a lot of people identify it as "Russian green".

Endman
May 18, 2010

4BO is supposed to be the colour of wet grass, so the T-34-85 looks correct. The KV-1 is painted the same colour as most tanks were in museums post war, which is why a lot of people identify it as "Russian green".

Well then, I stand corrected. I will continue to paint my tanks that way

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Endman posted:

What manufacturer is the T-26? I could do with one with the aerial for command tank use.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

What manufacturer is the T-26? I could do with one with the aerial for command tank use.

It's from Zvezda and was super cheap! They've got two different T-26 variants; this one and the one with the later pattern turret without the antenna.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Dangit, that would have been perfect if it existed when I was buying a full battalion worth of Zvezda T-26s... Guess I need to hunt down a few more.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Okay, I must've been mixing up stories like this in my mind.

There's a bit more to it.

The battle at Krojanty did go happen as stated in this thread - Polish cavalry attack German infantry and hurt them badly, Germans counterattack with armored cars and drive them away.

After the battle - from Wikipedia:

quote:

The same day, German war correspondents were brought to the battlefield, together with two journalists from Italy. They were shown the corpses of Polish cavalrymen and their horses as well as German tanks that had arrived at the place after the battle. One of the Italian correspondents, Indro Montanelli, sent home an article, in which he described the bravery and heroism of Polish soldiers, who charged German tanks with sabres and lances. Although such a charge did not happen, and there were no tanks used during combat, the myth was used by German propaganda during the war. German propaganda magazine Die Wehrmacht reported on 13 September that the Poles had gravely underestimated German weapons, as Polish propaganda had suggested that German armoured vehicles were covered only with a sheet metal, which led to a grotesque attack.

So, yeah, straight out of fascist and Nazi propaganda, written to discredit the Polish.

Moorehouse goes into this in detail in his book First to Fight.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 19, 2021

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Speaking of, do we have colour photos of the DAK troops with uniforms so sun-bleached they became white?
Yeah, check out this dude's shorts and hat:

Ilor fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 19, 2021

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

"Müller, an iron cross does not let you cut up your uniform pants to make jorts. It is undignified."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Geisladisk posted:

"Müller, an iron cross does not let you cut up your uniform pants to make jorts. It is undignified."

Ich bin ein bermuda shorts wearer!