Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twoflower
May 4, 2006

But what is the Internet? Is it a computer with the Internet inside?

FBS posted:

Does anybody here have something shown earlier than Q1 2022?

So it was showing me those dates even while I was still trying to get an order through I don't feel like they have any bearing on my specific order. It was saying Q1 2022 for most of the first hour, when I finally got mine through it was Q2 for the 512. I also don't know how it would be personalized if they're also showing you the dates for the other versions which you can't also preorder.

edit: I'm dumb and did not see it now says "your expected..."

Twoflower fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 512 is now showing Q2 2022.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Your Steam Deck delivery date is "when it's finished" and we should all be at peace with this (once we all even get to the point where it's ordered).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wonder if order availability is volatile based on reservations being made? My 512 reservation is still at Q1 2022 though.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I'm at the point where it's showing as pending in my purchase history, but I haven't gotten the email yet. I think I'm good? I just have to wait? :iiam:

This is the furthest I've gotten after about an hour and a half of various yellow error messages.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Updog Scully posted:

After reserving a 64GB model, I am slightly concerned about the storage speed. I have a 128gb MicroSD so I'm not concerned about space, but I don't know if the impact to speed is going to make me regret holding out on an extra hundge for the 256GB model. Is the difference between EMMc and SSD dramatic enough to really negatively impact my experience, or will the load times just be slightly longer?

eMMC comes in a variety of speeds, and Valve hasn't been specific about what they're using, so we probably won't know until someone benchmarks it

The fastest variants of eMMC can read at about 250MB/sec, which is nowhere near NVMe speeds but not too bad. It's about half what you get on a SATA SSD.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

FuriousGeorge posted:

I'm at the point where it's showing as pending in my purchase history, but I haven't gotten the email yet. I think I'm good? I just have to wait? :iiam:

This is the furthest I've gotten after about an hour and a half of various yellow error messages.

Same for me. Hoping it sticks

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Finally got through, charged my card and everything. Not a great process.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I finally got a reservation in. Turns out it was in my cart from the broken reservation page but since I’m using the steam mobile app I couldn’t tell that I had anything in my cart. Still had to spam check out a number of times before it actually went through.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Anno posted:

Boo, expected Q1 2022.

I think that's the best case. They'll contact people starting in December, you complete the purchase and then they ship it starting Q1 2022. Or that's what I took away from their announcement and FAQ.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Somehow mine went through. I had it in cart then left to watch a movie and just tried and it went through no problem. :confuoot:

KakerMix posted:

How many of you people having issues have bought hardware from Steam before?

I had a relatively painless experience but I've also bought an Index. I'm just wondering if Valve has shunted different accounts into different lines based on things LIKE previous purchase history. They did it with how old and if you bought anything at all already.
Kind of like knowing you're good for it?

Nope, I have an index and got shut out initially.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Play posted:

Regarding the SD Card, I'd like to know how MUCH is the difference is between it and a high quality disc drive. I still play all my games off of disc drives and it works just fine, but I could see if they were even slower there could be issues.

A UHS-I microSD card will read between 50 MB/sec to 104 MB/sec at half-duplex (it can read or write but not both at once). An average 5400 rpm laptop HDD reads at around 100 MB/sec. A SATA SSD (like the Samsung 860 EVO) will read around 540 MB/sec.

Updog Scully posted:

After reserving a 64GB model, I am slightly concerned about the storage speed. I have a 128gb MicroSD so I'm not concerned about space, but I don't know if the impact to speed is going to make me regret holding out on an extra hundge for the 256GB model. Is the difference between EMMc and SSD dramatic enough to really negatively impact my experience, or will the load times just be slightly longer?

eMMC read speeds can be between 200 to 300 MB/sec depending on the model. So halfway between a HDD and a SATA SSD.

EDIT: Putting certain games on a microSD will most likely have performance issues. Especially if the game constantly streams resources from the disk. Just look at any benchmark comparison between an SSD and a laptop HDD.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 16, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

v1ld posted:

I think that's the best case. They'll contact people starting in December, you complete the purchase and then they ship it starting Q1 2022. Or that's what I took away from their announcement and FAQ.
Where are people seeing the expected ship date? Mine doesn't say anything but when I ordered it.

Twoflower
May 4, 2006

But what is the Internet? Is it a computer with the Internet inside?

Rusty posted:

Where are people seeing the expected ship date? Mine doesn't say anything but when I ordered it.

Strange, maybe it's hit the point where they aren't sure? This is what mine looks like

Only registered members can see post attachments!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nalin posted:

EDIT: Putting certain games on a microSD will most likely have performance issues. Especially if the game constantly streams resources from the disk. Just look at any benchmark comparison between an SSD and a laptop HDD.

hell if you have an SD card reader handy you can try playing games from an SD card right now and see if the performance is acceptable to you

e: use a decent USB 3.0 reader though, very cheap readers might bottleneck the card

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 16, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there's gonna be a whole new cottage industry of youtube channels posting gameplay videos set to the steam deck's specs

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Twoflower posted:

Strange, maybe it's hit the point where they aren't sure? This is what mine looks like

I get the feeling that people that have dates are in a queue for availability and ones without them will get a shot at the December ship date.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So a mini PC, which already exists. You are completely free to buy one right this minute, although for some reason no-one wants to.

Steam branding has a lot to do with it, I guess. They seem to be much more robust about the entire package, software and hardware, than some random manufacturer from ebay or amazon. There is great value in that.

Then again, I could never understand the idea of mobile PC gaming, it's like an oxymoron. When the novelty of it wears off, I wonder what the preferred use case will be for this device. Again, all of this hinges on the battery. If it lasted 20 hours under active use, then yeah, take it with you camping, bring a battery pack or two. But since the battery keels over quite quickly, any longer play sessions will require being close to a power outlet. I guess that's worth the price of a 3070?

I'm incredibly lukewarm about the success of this device, unlike the rest of the thread. We'll see how things pan out.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Hey, finally got through the terrible process and got a reservation... for a year from now.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Rusty posted:

Same. According to my e-mail, which arrived at 10:04am, I placed the order at 10:00am. The div with the expected date text is empty, so I guess this means we are wave 1?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Blattdorf posted:

Steam branding has a lot to do with it, I guess. They seem to be much more robust about the entire package, software and hardware, than some random manufacturer from ebay or amazon. There is great value in that.

Then again, I could never understand the idea of mobile PC gaming, it's like an oxymoron. When the novelty of it wears off, I wonder what the preferred use case will be for this device. Again, all of this hinges on the battery. If it lasted 20 hours under active use, then yeah, take it with you camping, bring a battery pack or two. But since the battery keels over quite quickly, any longer play sessions will require being close to a power outlet. I guess that's worth the price of a 3070?

I'm incredibly lukewarm about the success of this device, unlike the rest of the thread. We'll see how things pan out.

I just want to play my pc game library and emulation in bed or on the couch using a cool device. I don’t care about out of the house so much, aside from occasional plane use.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nalin posted:

Same. According to my e-mail, which arrived at 10:04am, I placed the order at 10:00am. The div with the expected date text is empty, so I guess this means we are wave 1?

Did you reserve the 256 model or 512 model?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

there's gonna be a whole new cottage industry of youtube channels posting gameplay videos set to the steam deck's specs

digital foundry rn probably salivating

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rusty posted:

I get the feeling that people that have dates are in a queue for availability and ones without them will get a shot at the December ship date.

Yeah. It's probably going to be a day or more before they're showing consistent information to everyone. My receipt says the order went through at 1:25pm ET, which is most likely the only indicator of relative priority.

Bad response to load or not, it's great Valve required prior existing Steam accounts with confirmed purchases for the first 2 days. That's by far the best anti-bot thing they could've done.

Good thinking even though it keeps out the folks they want to really entice in the long run - the folks with no Steam games at all. Wonder if they'll have additional anti-bot protection in place for when it opens up on Sunday beyond whatever they have in place today for Steam account creation.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mike the TV posted:

Hey, finally got through the terrible process and got a reservation... for a year from now.

And in reality probably another year from that.

Got my reservation too - see y'all fuckers in 2023!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ah, the least surprising image in the world

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

teagone posted:

Did you reserve the 256 model or 512 model?

The 512 GB model.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
well at least there will be plenty of people in this forum to laugh at if it ends up sucking or to get reviews from if it ends up being decent/good

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Play posted:

well at least there will be plenty of people in this forum to laugh at if it ends up sucking or to get reviews from if it ends up being decent/good

Yeah I'm on the fence about getting one (and it's probably too late now anyways lol) but I would like this thing to do really well so one day I can get a SteamDeck 2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well this does kind of ensure I will never buy a Switch, as the only point of that was to play the games I already on own Steam on the move. But based on the current availability and pricing of consumer electronics I will probably never own a Steam Deck, either.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
From the responses I’m this thread and that tweet posted earlier, the 512 model seems to be the most popular. A little surprising.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So if my confirmation email says this:

And I see this on the Steam Deck page:

Does that mean I'm in line to get one at release? I clicked the order button a minute after the page went live but didn't get my confirmation email until like 90 minutes later. I'm assuming that because they've got my order down as one minute past the hour that I was one of the first?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Weird to see everyone having such difficulty. I put my reservation in before checking and it went straight out of my steam wallet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kaddish posted:

From the responses I’m this thread and that tweet posted earlier, the 512 model seems to be the most popular. A little surprising.

64GB of eMMC storage and slow microSD doesn't seem to vibe with PC gaming requirements imo. Most people ordering are either scalpers speculating the 512 model is what everyone wants, or veteran steam users savvy enough to know more high-speed NVMe storage is the only way to fly.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kaddish posted:

It's the safest option as long as it's unclear how fast the SD card slot can go, and whether there's a not-officially-servicable-but-technically-usable m.2 slot inside

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Kaddish posted:

Nerds can't help themselves when presented with a slightly superior model even if it's for a lot more money

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I just noticed the 512 model is the only one with anti-glare etched glass. Does that mean the lower-tier models have glossy displays? Lol.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I don't really care about the storage size as I don't plan on playing AAA games on it and I only play a couple games at a time at most, but I want the nvme speed for sure which is why I went the middle option.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kaddish posted:

I thought that too but then again the only people after this thing are enthusiasts and scalpers with a Steam account

I managed to get a 256gb at 10:05. Still no timetable showing, may be in first wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kaddish posted:

I just want the best experience. I know I will never go "Man I should have just went with the smaller/slower storage model dang!" but if I did get the low or mid tier ones and have issues with it I'd always say some poo poo like "I should have just spent a bit more money".

If you're taking this Gaben Boy seriously to buy then we don't really have much place to talk about wasted money. The entire exercise is an absolutely pure luxury good that nobody requires.