Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I marathoned Venture Bros recently and realized that show never really made it big because it’s never in doubt how pathetic the characters are. Even if they’re super scientists, they’re failures. Rick and Morty wants to have its cake and eat it too, by making Rick both an rear end in a top hat and a badass.

There’s probably also a correlation between how every character except one on Venture Bros has an annoying voice, whereas in R&M only one regular character has an annoying voice and both of their viewership numbers...

Edit: lol now this thread isn’t even remotely about the books anymore

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ccs posted:

Forum imitates life.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Brock Samson is pretty cool.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Ccs posted:

I marathoned Venture Bros recently and realized that show never really made it big because it’s never in doubt how pathetic the characters are. Even if they’re super scientists, they’re failures. Rick and Morty wants to have its cake and eat it too, by making Rick both an rear end in a top hat and a badass.

There’s probably also a correlation between how every character except one on Venture Bros has an annoying voice, whereas in R&M only one regular character has an annoying voice and both of their viewership numbers...

The show never made it big because it takes 10 years for half an episode

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Notahippie posted:

Vita Nostra: A Russian girl is accosted by a mysterious figure and told to do increasingly bizarre tasks or he'll murder her family, then is told she's been admitted to a boarding school filled with depressed kids.

Thank you for recommending this. I just finished it today and it was a very interesting read. It is extremely Russian but certainly a different take on "magic school" stories. I see there are others and I hope they get translated.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

The show never made it big because it takes 10 years for half an episode

The same could be said for Rothfuss's books, except they made it big.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

calandryll posted:

Thank you for recommending this. I just finished it today and it was a very interesting read. It is extremely Russian but certainly a different take on "magic school" stories. I see there are others and I hope they get translated.

The authors, Marina and Sergey Dyachenko, have a couple of translated books and I really like them. They're good modern fantasy and it's interesting to see a different cultural background than you normally get with English language authors. It's way better and more interesting to me than the "American/British person writes fantasy 'inspired' by some other culture" approach.

The Gray House (https://www.amazon.com/Gray-House-Mariam-Petrosyan/dp/1503942813/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=) is another really interesting fantasy book that's kind of/sort of a "magic school" book written originally in Russian and translated. It's a little weirder and denser than Vita Nostra or The Magicians, and IME it can help to refer to a wiki as you're reading to keep track of what's going on, but it's also good both on its merits and as a view into Russian writing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Notahippie posted:

The Gray House (https://www.amazon.com/Gray-House-Mariam-Petrosyan/dp/1503942813/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=) is another really interesting fantasy book that's kind of/sort of a "magic school" book written originally in Russian and translated. It's a little weirder and denser than Vita Nostra or The Magicians, and IME it can help to refer to a wiki as you're reading to keep track of what's going on, but it's also good both on its merits and as a view into Russian writing.

Nice, gonna read this one.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

If you're fine with some middle grade, Tamora Pierce's catalogue rules for magic school books. She was also writing gender & lgbtq+ themes in the late 90's/early 00's. I don't see her come up a ton, which is a shame!

Song of the Lioness is NOT middle grade and rules. Alanna (main char) disguises herself as her brother and goes to knight & mage school. If you like these, there's more in the same setting.

Circle of Magic IS middle grade and rules. Four characters go to mage school, eventually graduate and face bigger problems. It toes the middle grade line with surprising amounts of gore. Middle grade means there's some whining and simplistic villains, but that changes as the characters age with the series.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

ThePopeOfFun posted:

If you're fine with some middle grade, Tamora Pierce's catalogue rules for magic school books. She was also writing gender & lgbtq+ themes in the late 90's/early 00's. I don't see her come up a ton, which is a shame!

Song of the Lioness is NOT middle grade and rules. Alanna (main char) disguises herself as her brother and goes to knight & mage school. If you like these, there's more in the same setting.

Circle of Magic IS middle grade and rules. Four characters go to mage school, eventually graduate and face bigger problems. It toes the middle grade line with surprising amounts of gore. Middle grade means there's some whining and simplistic villains, but that changes as the characters age with the series.

In a similar YA vein, I remember Year of the Griffin by Diana Wynne Jones being great. It's the second book in the series, but can be read on its own (though the first book was good too, just didn't touch on magic school.) The general premise is that the magical universe has been invaded by a capitalist rear end in a top hat from our world, who forced all the magicians to put on big tourist shows where they go on a pilgrimage, defeat a demon lord, etc. At the end of the first book they overthrow him and end the tours, but the world's been totally wrecked by the years of rampant capitalism and tourism. Year of the Griffin is about a bunch of students going to the magical school and finding out that it's totally dysfunctional: the school is broke, the curriculum is still geared towards teaching students how to run the tours, and the teachers have little interest in helping the students explore and follow their passions. There's a pretty strong anti-capitalist vein to it.

It's not particularly deep: it is a YA novel and spends a lot more time focusing on the adolescent main characters. But it's a fun time regardless.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Just read discworld

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Karia posted:

In a similar YA vein, I remember Year of the Griffin by Diana Wynne Jones being great. It's the second book in the series, but can be read on its own (though the first book was good too, just didn't touch on magic school.) The general premise is that the magical universe has been invaded by a capitalist rear end in a top hat from our world, who forced all the magicians to put on big tourist shows where they go on a pilgrimage, defeat a demon lord, etc. At the end of the first book they overthrow him and end the tours, but the world's been totally wrecked by the years of rampant capitalism and tourism. Year of the Griffin is about a bunch of students going to the magical school and finding out that it's totally dysfunctional: the school is broke, the curriculum is still geared towards teaching students how to run the tours, and the teachers have little interest in helping the students explore and follow their passions. There's a pretty strong anti-capitalist vein to it.

It's not particularly deep: it is a YA novel and spends a lot more time focusing on the adolescent main characters. But it's a fun time regardless.

Holy poo poo I've been trying got remember the first book in that series for ages, and you've solved it for me. Dark Lord of Derkholm is what I was looking for but couldn't find based on my searches with half remembered plot points.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The creative process bringing us book 3:

https://twitter.com/patrickrothfuss/status/1414697623160766464?s=21

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

I would've made dumbass posts like that in my early twenties.

I'm not in my early twenties.

He's not in his early twenties.

What the gently caress.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
4/5ths of that bottle’s contents will end up dripping into his rats nest of a beard too and he’ll stink of cheap cinnamon and alcohol for a week.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
At least pick something either egregiously terrible, like Lewis & Clark, or something classy.

Fireball is the sponcon of liquor. I bet he actually is being paid for that.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Lol goddamn, are his fingers just too fat to type now?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

He could have easily made an actual meaningful statement about space tourism vs. actually helping people. It wouldn't even have been wholly unexpected, since he pretends to do charity.

Nope, instead you're getting a really lame unfunny joke.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I wonder what Rothfuss thinks about bacon

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
That thumbnail needs a chainsaw taken to it. Gross.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
While the disgusted reactions to this tweet are certainly justified, let’s all take a moment to be grateful that he didn’t mention sex in it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
https://twitter.com/Jae_E_Glass/status/1414704454495088640

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Cut your nails, Patrick. gently caress.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mzuri posted:

I doubt he does either.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Mzuri posted:

No wonder he can’t type.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

lmao freezer fireball

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
Why would you put fireball in your freezer? Does it dull the taste so you can pretend you aren't drinking fireball?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
honestly at this point I can't even be bothered to be annoyed. Rothfuss is secure. Any current fans are into the kool-aid so hard they don't really care if they get a third book, and between his book sales and his charity scam he'll never want for money unless he wipes out his savings in another geek related business venture.

let the happy rich man roll around in the filth to the cheers of his fans.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

pentyne posted:

honestly at this point I can't even be bothered to be annoyed. Rothfuss is secure. Any current fans are into the kool-aid so hard they don't really care if they get a third book, and between his book sales and his charity scam he'll never want for money unless he wipes out his savings in another geek related business venture.

let the happy rich man roll around in the filth of cheerios boxes

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

“vast wealth”

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I mean, freezer fireball isn't a bad idea in itself. I like whiskey and vodka cooled to below the freezing temperature of water so that it's sort of this jello-like liquor substance that comes out slow like a syrup and gives instant brain freeze if you guzzle it. The problem is that fireball is liquid candy for fat baby men and girls who don't like real alcohol. It's only 22 percent alcohol so it has the possibility of actually freezing and separating into flavored ice with a strata of pure alcohol, which sucks. If you're going to do freezer liquor right you gotta get some Buffalo Trace or some Ardbeg single malt. Don't be like this witch-fingered sweet-tooth rich baby man hack. Do it right or don't do it at all, and cut those nasty nails back so everyone doesn't instantly know you haven't been physically intimate with a woman in months (human fingernails grow at a rate of 1/10th an inch a month and that thumbnail has gotta be about a full inch). Maybe it's a flex move, like, "I don't need my Edward scissor hands to satisfy you baby." Any vagina is going to take a look at those claws and make a single note that sounds like "sad" no matter what elvish sex massage move you try on your harem of blue-haired furry fangirls in the convention suite.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 15, 2021

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Oh, good, we've hit the "dissect tiny details of the target's appearance" phase of the mock-thread life cycle

C'mon, Pat, give us a new blog post about how, I dunno, some new Star Wars thing is like seeing your ex at the supermarket and knowing her life has gone down the toilet since she dumped you because there's a six-pack of Mike's and a box of snack cakes in her cart

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

What garbage whiskey and vodka are you drinking that putting it in the freezer makes it jello-like?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
He says he's using Ardbeg which has a decently high alcohol content for standard scotch, but there's no real need to chill it. It's a phenomenal whiskey for its price point at room temperature with a drop of water.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

He says he's using Ardbeg which has a decently high alcohol content for standard scotch, but there's no real need to chill it. It's a phenomenal whiskey for its price point at room temperature with a drop of water.

Ardbeg is good, but water in it? No thanks. I like it so cold it comes out like maple syrup.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

latinotwink1997 posted:

What garbage whiskey and vodka are you drinking that putting it in the freezer makes it jello-like?

Jello-like was the wrong descriptor. Gelid, smooth, and viscous is what I should have said.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I get it: you want to drink Jaegermeister or Goldschlager, but you also want to maintain a modicum of class.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Antivehicular posted:

Oh, good, we've hit the "dissect tiny details of the target's appearance" phase of the mock-thread life cycle
It's always cool in a thread like this that's had no shortage of nasty pictures when one comes along that triggers an entire page of goons explaining liquor and fingernails, because you can see the exact threshold where the subject's taste and hygiene fall below their own and they seize the opportunity to prove that they aren't a gross dork like that guy.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Write the book, Patrick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I'd like patrick rothfuss to publicly step on his own balls somemore.