Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So is Hakuho still actually retiring after this performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

yes unless no

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I was ready to throw my phone if loving Shodai of all people denied us the zensho yusho battle.

Hoshoryu/Ichinojo was a real war and they looked exhausted.

What a wild day of sumo.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
If he doesn't retire, his knee doctor deserves a Nobel Prize in Medicine for whatever the gently caress he pulled off in a handful of months to allow this performance.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Also lol at the YDC and JSA trying to prevent someone from screwing them out of their old man deliberations

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Sub Rosa posted:

So is Hakuho still actually retiring after this performance?

I mean, if he zensho-yushos for #45 and feels good, maybe he takes a stab at getting to 50.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I love Hakuho.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Hakuho can’t straighten his arms and was ready to hang it up last year after doing his Olympics dohyo-iri, so I doubt he tries to push it until he can’t anymore. Retiring on a zensho-yusho is the exact type of statement that feels in character for him. Retired on his terms and everyone should know he could still beat their asses until his final days.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Man who literally cant lift his arms is 13-0.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also I find it weird that they said what they did presumably to tell Hakuho to go all out because being a buddy and not going 100% to let someone achieve yokozuna easier seems like literally the least Hakuho thing on earth I can imagine. Have to believe that Chris is just guessing at reasons at this point.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Weeks before tournament: It is nice that Hakuho will appear but there is no way he lasts the full 15 days
First Couple Days of tournament: Hakuho is shaky but maybe he can be respectable through this basho
Rest of tournament: The No Armed, One Knee Man Can Literally Destroy Anyone He Pleases

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 16, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
After tournament: Hakuho Devours an Entire Nation

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Can Hakuho announce his retirement and then still do his thing at the Olympics, or will he have to wait until after the Olympics to announce his retirement?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

He can do the ceremony as long as he hasn’t cut the top knot off, IIRC

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Also I find it weird that they said what they did presumably to tell Hakuho to go all out because being a buddy and not going 100% to let someone achieve yokozuna easier seems like literally the least Hakuho thing on earth I can imagine. Have to believe that Chris is just guessing at reasons at this point.

Yeah, I was also puzzled by that. I don't think Hakuho's ever just 'let somebody win' in his entire career, especially not a match with as much on the line as this one. Going out with a zensho-yusho for his last basho? Can't see him passing that up for anything.

Also, I sort of think Takayasu might get ozeki now if he wins his last two, especially if Shodai goes make-koshi. They have to have a minimum of two ozeki+yokozuna, after all. Asanoyama's out. Hakuho's probably retiring. Takakeisho is injured and my guess is he's gonna lose ozeki next basho, whether because he skips it for injury or because he enters it and goes kyujo early because he hasn't healed up properly.

That puts them down to one ozeki and one yokozuna-ozeki, and Shodai could very well be kadoban for it. There's a good chance they'll be in the market for a new ozeki in the very near future, and they may prefer to promote one off of the tail end of a not-quite successful ozeki run rather than just going "welp, got to fill the banzuke, grab us a sekiwake."

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can sympathize but I think it’s a real stretch to consider Takyasu getting Ozeki with only 29 wins in his last 3 basho when the standard is 33. I don’t see them stretching the rules for him no matter how desperate they are for Ozeki. They’ve also made some comments about how he’ll be held to the same standard as everyone else, previously in the basho (I say that but can’t cite a source, I heard somewhere so maybe I’m full of poo poo) so I’d put money on no dice.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Takayasu seems like he'll either make it back to ozeki straight up in a basho or two or his injuries will keep him from it. Giving it to him 'easy' then him underperforming due to injury would be the worst possible outcome from a sumo optics perspective.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Gotta say this Basho has been great from the start but these last few days have been amazing. So much drama, my boys have done less than stellar but who cares with this much quality sumo on show.

Also, as a cautionary tale for trading - I bailed on Terutsoyoshi at 2-5 and he's since went unbeaten to go 8-5, while my import Kiribayama has lost three bouts in the same period. :yiikes:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Khizan posted:

They have to have a minimum of two ozeki+yokozuna, after all.

There's no obligation to have any Ozeki or Yokozuna! I don't there's ever been a recorded instance without a couple, but they won't panic and promote someone just to balance numbers. Again.

I mean, we haven't had a Kimura Shonosuke (top ranked gyoji) for quite a while now so they're probably in no hurry to over promote anyone.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I thought seeing two yokozuna face off on the last day for the title would be something I wouldn't see again for an age. But the way this is shaping up is even more dramatic.

I posted in the thread earlier that after watching all of hakuho and teru's fights, I'd give teru a 50% chance of victory if he comes out on top of the tachiai. I still believe that to be true. Hakuho is looking monstrous in this basho and has so many ways to win it's almost unfair, if teru defeats him this basho will become legendary and the perfect capstone to an incredible saga.

Great basho.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Hokuseiho won the makushita yusho and has enough hair for a top knot now. That boy is BIG and hopefully will have the technique and fight IQ to go far.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

I'd give teru a 50% chance of victory

But Hakuho's a genetic freak and not normal, so

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

If Mitakeumi can win out the next two day and then go 14-1 in Aki he could get it. Takayasu would probably need similar to be in serious consideration. Other than those two, no one has even sniffed starting an ozeki run, which means the earliest we could see a new ozeki would be after Hatsu 2022, and the only real candidates are Meisei (assuming he holds gets another win to stay in san'yaku), or whoever gets into an open san'yaku slot if one appears. Hokutofuji, Ichinojo, and Hoshoryu are the only real contenders for a potential san'yaku promotion.

That means that to get a new ozeki in the next 6 months we're looking at Takayasu, Mitakeumi, Meisei, Hokutofuji, Ichinojo, and Hoshoryu. Of that list, I think Hokutofuji and Ichinojo are out. Neither of them post double-digits more often than once a year, and they both similarly post double-digit losing records at about the same frequency. That leaves Takayasu, Mitakeumi, Meisei, and Hoshoryu. Meisei hasn't posted a losing record since returning to makuuchi last September, and he went 10-5 in March. Hoshoryu is likely to post his first ever double-digit record this basho, and has never had a record lower than 7-8 as a sekitori.

Based on all of this, I think the most likely next ozeki is Meisei, followed by Hoshoryu, then Mitaekumi, then Takayasu. I just don't see Taka going 14-1 next basho, and the longer it takes for him to complete his run the more likely he re-aggravates his back. Mitakeumi has gone 14-1 before, but hasn't looked very dominant this basho, and I don't trust him. Meisei is on a nice, steady trajectory. I think Hoshoryu needs a bit more seasoning, unless he's a true wunderkind (which I wouldn't mind, obviously).

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Elissimpark posted:

But Hakuho's a genetic freak and not normal, so

There's a massive caveat to that number in the words that follow. He has to win the tachiai against the genetic freak to have an even odds chance of victory imo.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

There's a massive caveat to that number in the words that follow. He has to win the tachiai against the genetic freak to have an even odds chance of victory imo.

Sorry, that wasn't serious commentary, just thinking of Scott Steiner math.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Gotta say this Basho has been great from the start but these last few days have been amazing. So much drama, my boys have done less than stellar but who cares with this much quality sumo on show.

Also, as a cautionary tale for trading - I bailed on Terutsoyoshi at 2-5 and he's since went unbeaten to go 8-5, while my import Kiribayama has lost three bouts in the same period. :yiikes:

I always take my saltyboi and this isn't too unusual. He's saved my rear end a few times

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Kenning posted:

{speculative confidence in Mitakeumi}

I'd be shocked if he actually pulled it out. He's so wildly inconsistent that if he miraculously put it together, he'd absolutely be a Goeido-type. Mediocre ozeki riding 8-7/9-6s and kadoban hard.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Less ozeki only means more chances at a kinboshi :3:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I won't pretend like I know hakuho but the ending of that Chris sumo video really got under my skin. I just cannot fathom the man going easy on someone looking to become a yokozuna under any circumstances. His massive body is literally crumbling under the weight of the title and to insinuate that he'd just let someone share the status without personally showing him they're worthy seems insulting.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

didn't see the video but the tweet from herouth said the rumor came from a "gossip mag". that's exactly the poo poo that's gonna be said about a sport that's had match fixing controversies whether or not it's valid at all, and i'm sure the fact they're both mongolian adds to that for some.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Hahaha oh yeah I forgot about the racism

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Shiroc posted:

I'd be shocked if he actually pulled it out. He's so wildly inconsistent that if he miraculously put it together, he'd absolutely be a Goeido-type. Mediocre ozeki riding 8-7/9-6s and kadoban hard.

All I'm saying in that post is that Mitakeumi is in 3rd place of the 4 hypothetical ozeki candidates. I have no confidence in him myself, I be think Meisei is much more likely.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Re: sumo racism, where does Takayasu, being half-Japanese half-Filipino, fall on the totem pole? Do they have less against him than the Mongolians, or more?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

My understanding of Japanese racism is you are full blooded Japanese, or a savage.

You can transcend savagery and become Japanese only by bringing great status to Japan in arenas typically not associated with Japanese supremacy. NBA player Rui Hachimura pretty much said that despite being born there he has never been Japanese until the second he was drafted.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The problem with discussing racism in sumo is that while there is certainly racism in the sport (there's racism in all sport, because sport is just a facet of its society, and racial hierarchies are currently important worldwide), because of sumo's weird relationship with the Japanese national character (see the second post in this thread!), a discussion of racism in sumo almost immediately becomes a conversation about how racist the Japanese are, a discussion which is, you guessed it, itself racist.

I personally think that the way the JSA and the YDC treats Hakuho is a lot less about race and a lot more about the fact that he is a pure, extremely competitive athlete, but the conservatives in the sport/the YDC are uncertain if they want sumo to be a purely athletic, competitive endeavor. It's natural that foreigners are going to engage with sumo more as a sport than as an expression of national character (they're not Japanese), and I think that is more central to the occasional weirdness the JSA has with foreign rikishi, rather than it being just some atavistic racial superiority complex.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Kenning posted:

The problem with discussing racism in sumo is that while there is certainly racism in the sport (there's racism in all sport, because sport is just a facet of its society, and racial hierarchies are currently important worldwide), because of sumo's weird relationship with the Japanese national character (see the second post in this thread!), a discussion of racism in sumo almost immediately becomes a conversation about how racist the Japanese are, a discussion which is, you guessed it, itself racist.

I personally think that the way the JSA and the YDC treats Hakuho is a lot less about race and a lot more about the fact that he is a pure, extremely competitive athlete, but the conservatives in the sport/the YDC are uncertain if they want sumo to be a purely athletic, competitive endeavor. It's natural that foreigners are going to engage with sumo more as a sport than as an expression of national character (they're not Japanese), and I think that is more central to the occasional weirdness the JSA has with foreign rikishi, rather than it being just some atavistic racial superiority complex.

Yea, it makes me extremely uncomfortable to see white Americans/Europeans discussing the racism of another country of non-white people and I don't think it belongs here.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

A very good post

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kind of ties into the nebulous hinkaku thing a Yokozuna is supposed to have. I wish they'd dispense with some of the expectations on the higher ranks and let wrestlers actually take time off to heal. I think that kind of thing killed Kisenosato's yokozuna career. If he got his pectoral repaired he might have had a better run.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

terunofuji and hakuho are both very popular among the sumo going public and i certainly don't mean to insinuate that a comment in a sleazy magazine should be indicative of how the average japanese person or sumo fans feel on the whole l. in any sport or cultural endeavor in any country you can find horrible racist fans and lots of dumb comments regardless of issues relating to race about how it's all gone to hell in the modern era and how it and the people who do it were way better during whatever period happened to coincide with the commentator's youth. reminded of a lot of similar scandals revolving around baseball in the us because of a roughly analogous role in the national mythos as kenning pointed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I definitely think that anyone who conflates the decrees of think tanks created to figure out how to make foreigners less violent with the opinions of all Japanese people should be called out as weirdos and people who shouldn't be posting here while holding those opinions.

However I also think that the creation of a think tank to figure out how to make foreigners less violent and then seriously considering its findings is unambiguously racist.

Racism exists in the culture of this sport. And all sports. If we want to discuss hakuho not getting honorary elder stock like other yokozuna with a fraction of his achievements got by just saying 'wow that's weird' I don't mind but obviously I'd prefer to discuss difficult topics like adults with adults.