Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

Not Racist is axiomatic, because I, of course, am a Good Person, and Good People are Not Racist.

Except when I Am Racist because it is Politically Incorrect and makes me a Right Lad which is also a necessary component of being Good.

Or if somebody calls you racist. Then you might as well shave your head etc [Matt Bors cartoon here]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

feedmegin posted:

They aren't a TV channel. That was the original plan and they dropped it lol

Edit: 203mm was a Soviet howitzer

GB News is definitely a TV channel. I was helping my mum retune her FreeSat box and one of the channels that came up on the Auto tune was GB News.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure if Autotune the GBNews would be an improvement or make it worse.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

feedmegin posted:

They aren't a TV channel. That was the original plan and they dropped it lol

Edit: 203mm was a Soviet howitzer

That was the Murdoch channel, not the Neil channel.

Not sure why Murdoch thought he needed an internet-only TV channel when Talk Radio streams video on YouTube anyway 🤷‍♂️

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

this was really good, thanks for posting it

i just have something in my eye is all

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Then again Dan Hodges thinks he's not racist because he does say it.

Dan Hodges apparently lost his eye fighting skin heads who were attacking a black patron in a pub, according to twitter. I've never actually been able to source the claim, Hodges himself never seems to have written about it.

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 16, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

People who see themselves as existing in a 'neutral' mid ground between 'woke' and 'racist' seem to have an interesting cognitive loop, where (as already observed), they don't use the N word and don't actively abuse people of colour, so they aren't racist.

However if you try and start pointing out things like unconscious bias and white privelage, they instantly write those things off as wokery, and so they still see themselves occupying a sensible, non racist mid ground.

They are pretty much the definition of ignorance being bliss, because in their heads if they don't have to think about privelage or bias, it's not happening and therefore it's not a problem.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

People who see themselves as existing in a 'neutral' mid ground between 'woke' and 'racist' seem to have an interesting cognitive loop, where (as already observed), they don't use the N word and don't actively abuse people of colour, so they aren't racist.

However if you try and start pointing out things like unconscious bias and white privelage, they instantly write those things off as wokery, and so they still see themselves occupying a sensible, non racist mid ground.

They are pretty much the definition of ignorance being bliss, because in their heads if they don't have to think about privelage or bias, it's not happening and therefore it's not a problem.

That sounds a bit like my parents.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

therattle posted:

It's probably the space that most people occupy, especially those who don't actively think about politics.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's far from a new thing too.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

JoylessJester posted:

Dan Hodges apparently lost his eye fighting skin heads who were attacking a black patron in a pub, according to twitter. I've never actually been able to source the claim, Hodges himself never seems to have written about it.

I find it very, very hard to believe that Hodges would avoid writing about this if it was even vaguely close to being true.

Edit: while briefly trying to source the story, I came across this headline, which is the truest thing the Mail has ever printed

Niric fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 16, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The missus is doing Japanese on Duolingo and was just given a phrase to translate. It failed her for identifying it as 'I am English' because it was trying to get her to say 'I am British.' She kept failing it because up to that point they'd just been using English and she didn't recognise the other word.

These days, they dock you points just for saying igirisū des.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Japan is one of those many places where the language isn't so great at telling the difference between English and British because a lot of the Anglo people who first went there weren't either.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Duolingo keeps telling me that Germany is great, and also too small :tinfoil:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very gross, dick, even.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

mrpwase posted:

Duolingo keeps telling me that Germany is great, and also too small :tinfoil:

Watch out in case they start saying Germany is above all!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Our Challenger 2 secrets :qq:

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1416118624570515458?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a shame it was war thunder and not ArmA because they also managed to get their developers arrested on espionage charges while they were location scouting.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ScottBentonMP/status/1415759881139855360

Member of the APPG on eating disorders doing a bit of fat shaming because someone pointed out he takes bribes from the gambling industry.

Screenshot for the inevitable delete-and-deny:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Something I haven't seen mentioned in here is the severe lack of HGV drivers in the country, partly due to a large proportion of European drivers either going home and not coming back and the various brexit related shenanigans meaning there are less trucks making the crossing versus pure freight and more UK based trucks needed to ferry it.

At a recent estimate at the start of the week we are about 35,000 drivers short of what we need and we are likely going to see rolling shortages because of it as hauliers prioritise. Inevitably there will be price rises to come as exactly like the shipping companies for sea freight, they can charge more and more as truck supply gets scarcer.

In response the government have relaxed the driving time rules:

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/wholesa...o%2010%20hours.

quote:

The government has announced an extension of driver hours in a bid to ease the crippling HGV driver shortage in the UK.

The temporary relaxation of the rules will mean HGV drivers will be legally allowed to drive for an additional one hour per day, from nine to 10 hours. It will also allow drivers to undertake two eleven hour shifts per week.

The RHA have condemned it for obvious reasons on safety and driver burn out grounds and not all firms will take it up either.

We're not going to run out of food, you're just going to see more and more situations where there's missing things on shelves for a week or so which may spark instances of panic buying. I'm not one to encourage stockpiling as its not needed but if you require a special item, particularly things like special animal food that wouldn't necessarily be prioritised I might suggest you always have a months worth as a just in case.

Shits getting hosed up out there as people pivot from just in time to warehousing again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We've already got that problem in some stores yeah, distribution is noticeably worse than usual. Gonna be fun come christmas!

And just as a lot of stores are refitting their warehousing space to cater to online collection too.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

serious gaylord posted:

I'm not one to encourage stockpiling as its not needed but if you require a special item, particularly things like special animal food that wouldn't necessarily be prioritised I might suggest you always have a months worth as a just in case.

I stocked up pre-Brexit and am now having to eat it all quickly because I'm being evicted (landlord cashing in on Cornish house prices) :argh:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Still got loads of Sharwoods noodles from 2016 that i'm slowly working through (taste the same as always).

Thought it was going to be bad last year, guess my timing was off and now i'm working through my stores.

I personally avoid foods containing tomatoes/sauce as it can corrode the tins/lids from the inside, strangely worse than pickled foods. :shrug:

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness
Edit: Don't reply to a two-day old tab.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Hivemind, please tell me if I'm being reasonable or if the heat is making me a stroppy grump.

I posted a few months back about how everyone (except me) in my workplace was fully vaccinated, thanks to a local vaccination clinic having spares at the end of the day. I wasn't in work that day so I missed out.

The good news is that my turn came and I have my second dose Monday. The less good news is that work has decided there will also be no more Covid restrictions as of Monday - not for staff, not for customers.

The two reasons given for why I have still been doing my customer service shifts are because work insisted the Covid precautions meant I was no more at risk than anyone else, and because we must all do our bit.

Honestly I'm not that worried about getting Covid, but this whole situation just annoys me enough to want to make a fuss. Especially the 'doing our bit' lecture coming from senior management who have been permanently working from home for a year. The trouble is that they will immediately point out that come Monday I will be fully vaccinated, conveniently ignoring the fact that it's not instantaneous, and that there is no requirement under law to do any of this. There doesn't seem to be anything to do other than appeal to the better nature of senior management.

Actually this is giving off very stroppy grumpy vibes, but there's an unpleasant underlying resentment that my precautions seems so pointless when everyone around me is merrily nipping off on city breaks and pub meals and to the cinema. It feels like I wasted the opportunity to go when the restrictions were still in force and it was less risky, vaccinated or not.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

You are completely reasonably pissed off about it, the employing class is wilfully risking our health & that of our loved ones & it's just brazen at this point. I'm still full-vaccinatedly furious that all teaching at my uni is back to normal next year, & HE has it so much better than most sectors. There's just no need for it.

Anyway, someone mentioned food so here's the barbecue I made tonight & photographed to post elsewhere, I'm inordinately proud of it because it was delicious:

The bad news is, I'm on my last glass of calvados, & unlikely to be back to France this year :( White people problems though & it's been a nice evening

e: oh & OMG I overheard the WORST take on Starmer earlier on from my (working class Welsh) neighbour: "he seems like a nice man & he's doing really well, but when it comes down to it he's just a commoner" :wtc:

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Something I haven't seen mentioned in here is the severe lack of HGV drivers in the country, partly due to a large proportion of European drivers either going home and not coming back and the various brexit related shenanigans meaning there are less trucks making the crossing versus pure freight and more UK based trucks needed to ferry it.

At a recent estimate at the start of the week we are about 35,000 drivers short of what we need and we are likely going to see rolling shortages because of it as hauliers prioritise. Inevitably there will be price rises to come as exactly like the shipping companies for sea freight, they can charge more and more as truck supply gets scarcer.

In response the government have relaxed the driving time rules:

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/wholesa...o%2010%20hours.

The RHA have condemned it for obvious reasons on safety and driver burn out grounds and not all firms will take it up either.

We're not going to run out of food, you're just going to see more and more situations where there's missing things on shelves for a week or so which may spark instances of panic buying. I'm not one to encourage stockpiling as its not needed but if you require a special item, particularly things like special animal food that wouldn't necessarily be prioritised I might suggest you always have a months worth as a just in case.

Shits getting hosed up out there as people pivot from just in time to warehousing again.

Food is one thing, the increased motor deaths from drivers falling asleep at 3am etc is another. But considering we've killed 120 thousand from covid, who cares if another 500 drivers die when they didn't need to.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Borrovan posted:

Anyway, someone mentioned food so here's the barbecue I made tonight & photographed to post elsewhere, I'm inordinately proud of it because it was delicious:

The bad news is, I'm on my last glass of calvados, & unlikely to be back to France this year :( White people problems though & it's been a nice evening

Couscous, pine nuts, broccoli, cheese(feta?)... not sure of meat type but definitely very: :discourse:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Tuna, with a sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger, honey & chilli marinade. There's also some courgettes buried in there (barbecued vegetables are the loving best).

I like summer evenings :)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

e: oh & OMG I overheard the WORST take on Starmer earlier on from my (working class Welsh) neighbour: "he seems like a nice man & he's doing really well, but when it comes down to it he's just a commoner" :wtc:
I heard that he empties sachets of crystalized agricultural piss into his warm bath rather than just letting his bladder loose.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
My mother, yesterday, (voting preferences: 1. Green, 2. Tory though possibly shifting to Lib Dem 3. Labour - NEVER), said "I must admit, I'm surprised Starmer isn't better, I really thought he would be better").

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Lady Demelza posted:

Hivemind, please tell me if I'm being reasonable or if the heat is making me a stroppy grump.

I posted a few months back about how everyone (except me) in my workplace was fully vaccinated, thanks to a local vaccination clinic having spares at the end of the day. I wasn't in work that day so I missed out.

The good news is that my turn came and I have my second dose Monday. The less good news is that work has decided there will also be no more Covid restrictions as of Monday - not for staff, not for customers.

The two reasons given for why I have still been doing my customer service shifts are because work insisted the Covid precautions meant I was no more at risk than anyone else, and because we must all do our bit.

Honestly I'm not that worried about getting Covid, but this whole situation just annoys me enough to want to make a fuss. Especially the 'doing our bit' lecture coming from senior management who have been permanently working from home for a year. The trouble is that they will immediately point out that come Monday I will be fully vaccinated, conveniently ignoring the fact that it's not instantaneous, and that there is no requirement under law to do any of this. There doesn't seem to be anything to do other than appeal to the better nature of senior management.

Actually this is giving off very stroppy grumpy vibes, but there's an unpleasant underlying resentment that my precautions seems so pointless when everyone around me is merrily nipping off on city breaks and pub meals and to the cinema. It feels like I wasted the opportunity to go when the restrictions were still in force and it was less risky, vaccinated or not.

Nah, not unreasonable at all! You’re getting thrown to the hounds by a management who would not, themselves, be up for being chewed by said hounds. Not sure what you can do, unfortunately, but definitely right to be mad. Unionise, i suppose, if not done already.

Food: I swear down ginger honey chilli and soy are 4 things that the gods themselves made to perfectly align. Ginger generally actually is one of the most underrated ingredients about.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jakabite posted:

Nah, not unreasonable at all! You’re getting thrown to the hounds by a management who would not, themselves, be up for being chewed by said hounds. Not sure what you can do, unfortunately, but definitely right to be mad. Unionise, i suppose, if not done already.

Food: I swear down ginger honey chilli and soy are 4 things that the gods themselves made to perfectly align. Ginger generally actually is one of the most underrated ingredients about.

Agree completely with this entire post except for the bit about ginger, which is awful.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Miftan posted:

Agree completely with this entire post except for the bit about ginger, which is awful.

Im starting to suspect the dogpiles are your kink (no shaming)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1416302857742176260

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jakabite posted:

Agreed on all counts. Garlic, chilli and ginger is also amazing. And I love sesame oil.

That food looks really good but I am not entirely sure about the combo of Asian flavours with the tuna and Mediterranean flavours in the couscous. I would have gone for one or the other as a unifying theme but not both.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Miftan posted:

Always Eat The Opposite Of What Miftan Says

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

therattle posted:

Sounds a bit like me as well, and probably most people

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Overminty posted:

Im starting to suspect the dogpiles are your kink (no shaming)

Failed Imagineer posted:

Always Eat The Opposite Of What Miftan Says

I have a vast highland's worth of food related hills that I will die on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

And if you eat those foods you will.