Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I always take relief with my longest club, which is my 15 foot ball retriever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I have only seen stakes at high end courses. The normal community whack and crack never has them.

I will continue to play the rule as:
- 1 stroke and a drop for cranking it into an unrecoverable hazard
- 2 strokes and a drop if "I know it's around here somewhere but it hosed off to mordor and the group behind us is approaching the tee, gently caress it we don't have time to look for it."
- Relief will be measured as lazily lofting a ball vaguely towards the fairway

Unless the hazards are clearly staked.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I guess it's not intuitively clear to me why it's 2 strokes in the "this ball should in principle be findable, I just hit it slightly off the fairway, but there are leaves on the ground / it's a weird time of day and I don't want to hold up pace of play" situation. Seems like that's the less egregious scenario. Maybe this explains why I sometimes see groups in front of me looking for a ball for *ever*.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Especially since dunking it into water is only a stroke.

what I'm saying is, let me crank it into the woods for only one penalty stroke, dammit!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea the courses around me don’t have stakes so I will climb a mountain or put on my SCUBA tank and play it as it lies as god intended.

E: and shoot a 105

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
IANARO, but I believe the confusion lies in when the new rule applies.

Here's a link, including a video. BUT, here's the relevant information:

quote:

If you hit your ball out of bounds or lose it (you have three minutes to search for your ball before it becomes lost), your only option is to go back to the spot of your previous stroke to play under stroke and distance. The only exceptions to this are if your ball is lost in a penalty area (when you can use any of the penalty area relief options) or lost in an abnormal ground condition or in an obstruction.

A final exception is when a new Local Rule which provides an alternative to stroke and distance relief is in effect. This Local Rule is recommended for casual play and not for competitions involving highly-skilled players. If it is in effect, for two penalty strokes, you can estimate the spot where your ball is lost or went out of bounds and then find the nearest fairway edge that is not nearer the hole than the estimated spot. You can drop a ball in the fairway within two club-lengths of that fairway edge point, or anywhere between there and the estimated spot where your ball is lost or went out of bounds.

So old rules:

1. Hit ball OB off tee.
2. Re-tee.
3. Hit again off the tee for your third stroke.

New rules:

1. Hit ball OB off tee.
2a. Re-tee if you want, hitting 3rd.
OR
2b. Estimate where it went in, find the nearest edge of the fairway, hit your 4th shot from there.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What’s the actual rule on a provisional ball? You hit a terrible tee shot, then hit a provisional. If you can’t find your ball, you’re allowed to just use the provisional and you lie 3?

What if your provisional is great and you find your original tee shot up against a tree or something equally terrible? Do you have to play it?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

RCarr posted:

What’s the actual rule on a provisional ball? You hit a terrible tee shot, then hit a provisional. If you can’t find your ball, you’re allowed to just use the provisional and you lie 3?

What if your provisional is great and you find your original tee shot up against a tree or something equally terrible? Do you have to play it?

I think your first part is right, yes. It’s the same scenario as if you hit one OB. The provisional shot just speeds up play so you don’t have to go back to the tee box after not finding your first.

I’ve always wondered the 2nd part though. My gut tells me you have to play your first shot.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

I think your first part is right, yes. It’s the same scenario as if you hit one OB. The provisional shot just speeds up play so you don’t have to go back to the tee box after not finding your first.

I’ve always wondered the 2nd part though. My gut tells me you have to play your first shot.

I’d assume you can’t, because if you could do that you’d just hit a provisional ball every time your ball wasn’t on the fairway.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm almost certain the "hit a provisional but find your first/your first is safe" situation means you must play your first, yeah.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You must play the first as you find it or else suffer playing under a 'wrong ball' penalty (2 every stroke)

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
It's weird because I'm pretty sure you're allowed to hit another ball under "stroke and distance" relief at literally any time for any reason, but the rules on when you're allowed to use a provisional are way more convoluted.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
On one hand it doesn’t make much sense that you can’t just use the provisional. On the other it would lead to people constantly hitting 2 balls to compare them later.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

AndrewP posted:

Especially since dunking it into water is only a stroke.

what I'm saying is, let me crank it into the woods for only one penalty stroke, dammit!

Yeah it seems silly to me too. Most of the muni courses I’m on don’t actually have markings for penalty areas so it is up to me, the self-assigned course committee, to designate those areas, and that means those woods and brush over there is a penalty area. One stroke.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

:lol:

https://twitter.com/golfweek/status/1415722504337989634?s=20

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Summit posted:

On one hand it doesn’t make much sense that you can’t just use the provisional. On the other it would lead to people constantly hitting 2 balls to compare them later.

How? The circumstances when lying 1 in a bad lie are worse than lying 3 in the fairway are few. Punching out to the fairway leaves one lying two with the ability to advance the ball further than even a good drive.

Yeah, there are times when it would be a clear advantage, but you're at best putting yourself in position to play for bogey.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Incase anyone forgot that he's a total d bag read this.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hasn't done his official review video yet but Rick Shiels talked about the Garmin R10 on his podcast and gave glowing feedback on it. Found it very close to a GCQuad's numbers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahtRjH3fYM4&t=1541s

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

torgeaux posted:

How? The circumstances when lying 1 in a bad lie are worse than lying 3 in the fairway are few. Punching out to the fairway leaves one lying two with the ability to advance the ball further than even a good drive.

Yeah, there are times when it would be a clear advantage, but you're at best putting yourself in position to play for bogey.

I believe the rule is pretty clear. You are supposed to mark the provisional ball, and you can only use it if your original ball cannot be found or is found out of bounds.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

daslog posted:

I believe the rule is pretty clear. You are supposed to mark the provisional ball, and you can only use it if your original ball cannot be found or is found out of bounds.

Sure, but his point was if that wasn't the rule people would just hit two frequently. There aren't many times a provisional lying three would be better than the first ball if it's playable. Hell, even with a drop for unplayable, most of the time better than lying three.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The shade towards Bryson in this clip is just the best:

https://twitter.com/deep_fried_egg/status/1415705257276055563

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
kinda stoked bryson is taking the jerk-off crown from reed. bryson is much more enjoyable to dislike.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Somebody learned how to fade the ball on demand today

I mean tomorrow's a new day but today man, today

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Played a new course in central NH today that is maddeningly short. Not full executive par 3 course, but lots of 240-250 yard dogleg par 4s and weird angles, just enough to eliminate my strength (which is distance). Shot a 43 on the front, which might be a best for me, but a 56 on the narrow back after losing about a billion balls in the trees (or the deeply flooded roughs, after all the rain). My dad — also new there — swore off ever playing there again. I was a little more equanimous about playing against type, but it adds a whole level of frustration for sure.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Got our late summer golf trip all finalized.

Alpine Lake Golf Resort in Terra Alta, WV on Friday
Fore Sisters Golf Course in Rawlings, Maryland on Saturday
Oakland CC in Oakland, MD on Sunday

All three really fun courses if you’re in the area. I’m excited.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Alpine lake looks nice! Take some pics and let me know how it is, it’s only 3 hours from me. I may just have to make that trip this summer.

I’m not sure how close it is for you but my group always plans a trip to old stonewall once a year. It’s a really nice course and the clubhouse is a castle!

You also have to make sure to get dinner there. The restaurant in the clubhouse is medieval style with a medieval themed menu. It’s probably the nicest public course I’ve played. It’s really pretty in the fall if you can go when the leafs change.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 16, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

dangling pointer posted:

Alpine lake looks nice! Take some pics and let me know how it is, it’s only 3 hours from me. I may just have to make that trip this summer.

I’ll try to remember. It’s a fun, quirky course for a resort deal. We’ve played it probably a dozen times but only ever in a scramble. The par 3s in particular are a bitch - 3 out of 4 are a 3-5 iron and all have weird greens.

quote:

I’m not sure how close it is for you but my group always plans a trip to old stonewall once a year. It’s a really nice course and the clubhouse is a castle!

You also have to make sure to get dinner there. The restaurant in the clubhouse is medieval style with a medieval themed menu. It’s probably the nicest public course I’ve played. It’s really pretty in the fall if you can go when the leafs change.

This looks rad. We always play a course on the drive out, but we’re coming from Columbus, so this may not be on a great route for that. I go to Pittsburgh every year or two though, I’ll have to remember to swing by here the next time.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Anno posted:

This looks rad. We always play a course on the drive out, but we’re coming from Columbus, so this may not be on a great route for that. I go to Pittsburgh every year or two though, I’ll have to remember to swing by here the next time.

Nice, I went to osu. I’m from Youngstown so it’s only less than an hour from me. It’s out of your way coming from Columbus for sure. Definitely worth the stop if you have time when you head to Pittsburgh though.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Anno posted:

Got our late summer golf trip all finalized.

Alpine Lake Golf Resort in Terra Alta, WV on Friday
Fore Sisters Golf Course in Rawlings, Maryland on Saturday
Oakland CC in Oakland, MD on Sunday

All three really fun courses if you’re in the area. I’m excited.

sounds like a Deep Creek Lake trip, nice.

Anyone have any recc's for OBX? I am playing Kilmarlic but nothing else booked

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

had my first clinic day today and the two instructors visibly winced when I said the word shank out loud and would not repeat it. high comedy.

then a couple minutes later i'm addressing the ball and another ball comes shooting between my feet at mach 3. turn around to see the poor lady behind me totally frozen in shock. she whispers "was that a shank?" and I just nodded and we both lost it

also fixed my shank! was making an axe swing so 10 minutes of the ol' sweep the ball behind the club head away drill and i hit the last 30 or so fine. hopefully i can translate that to the full swing

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Petey posted:

Played a new course in central NH today that is maddeningly short. Not full executive par 3 course, but lots of 240-250 yard dogleg par 4s and weird angles, just enough to eliminate my strength (which is distance). Shot a 43 on the front, which might be a best for me, but a 56 on the narrow back after losing about a billion balls in the trees (or the deeply flooded roughs, after all the rain). My dad — also new there — swore off ever playing there again. I was a little more equanimous about playing against type, but it adds a whole level of frustration for sure.

You could argue you still have a tremendous distance advantage. Play 5 irons off the tee to hit the second spots on the doglegs.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I've been playing golf every week with my mom and I just play the forward tees when we go. Having 100 yards or less to every par 4 and 9 iron or less to every par 3 makes for a pretty chill day of golf.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Internet Savant posted:

You could argue you still have a tremendous distance advantage. Play 5 irons off the tee to hit the second spots on the doglegs.

That's true, but the way the course is constructed — my brother used the word "claustrophobic" — the trees were so high and so close to the teebox that it was almost impossible to get it over the trees, because with the loft needed you couldn't carry. There was one hole where I could get over with my gap wedge and rimmed out my birdie putt where that would have been advantageous.

I'm not complaining, of course — in principle, a short course should be able to be played well if you have distance. Was just weird/interesting to play a small, cramped course doing what it could in a shoebox after spending most of the summer on big, long, wide-open courses.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

Dr. Capco posted:

I've been playing golf every week with my mom and I just play the forward tees when we go. Having 100 yards or less to every par 4 and 9 iron or less to every par 3 makes for a pretty chill day of golf.

I do the same thing when playing with my wife. She’s a new golfer and the shorter tees make it a lot more fun for her. I know some men will play their own tee but it’s nice to see courses from a different perspective and a lot more social to just play from the same tee.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Dr. Capco posted:

Playing with my dad from the whites is amazingly chill. Par 4s are drive and 3/4 pitching wedge to green (at most). Makes paring the holes a lot easier. The par 5s easily reachable in two. Still gotta make the putts though 😆

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dangling pointer posted:

I've been meaning to get out there from Toledo for ages. Couple buddies of mine in Cleveland go once in a while and rave about it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Return to lost golf ball chat.

Hit my tee shot on 12 into the rough on 11. I could see the bounce, had a good line on the ball to a tree. Since I'm walking, it takes a bit. I see the players on 11 drive to the area, hit and move on. When I get to my area, I immediately find a ball. I hit ProV1x, number 2 with my mark on it. This is a Titleist Tour Soft or something, also number 2.

Since I'm not recording the score for handicap, I dropped where I thought my ball was, played without a penalty. Thoughts?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

yeah I personally would consider that sufficient rationalization to not take penalty strokes

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Unless you’re playing in a tournament or playing for money or something, then do literally anything you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Does anyone here play the ProV1 left dash? I was reading some MyGolfSpy ball reviews over the weekend while tired after a triathlon and they seem to really salivate over it.