Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aye Doc posted:

thank you for posting about this video

https://twitter.com/espnmma/status/1415698919460323331

very "guy on youtube with 11 total views" energy out of this one

why the gently caress would you go into a fight wildly throwing kicks with your fractured bone specifically? what a loving moron, jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Because it’s a bullshit made up excuse so they can undercut Poirier’s claims that he caused it with a check/block.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

belal nails it, imo

https://twitter.com/bullyb170/status/1415719312631939073?s=20

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Lol he was claiming it was a fluke like Silva (which is hilarious anyway) after the fight

Which is it, dopey?

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
We didn't come to take part, we came to fall over.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Just blatantly stealing from Tito, I guess

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Conor's doctor looking at the xray:  wanna tell me, what you see, lets go ahead and see it by the fight, what you saw, in the ring.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.rte.ie/sport/mma/2021/0715/1235402-mcgregor-ufc-knew-of-fractures-prior-to-fight/

Coper McGregor

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Even if the UFC did know about it he was the one that threw the kick with the leg with the stress fractures, unless the new UFC videogame lets you control the real guy.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
it's really nice to live in a world where poirier is unequivocally a much better fighter than conor.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Nierbo posted:

Conor's doctor looking at the xray:  wanna tell me, what you see, lets go ahead and see it by the fight, what you saw, in the ring.

I was on Amazon to buy a head mirror for a costume the other day, and was curious why the "people also buy" section included a Ford F150 drive belt.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

:lol:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Uggghhhh I don’t wanna. But I will, because this is the exact kind of card that these posts are good for. So I’m going to break down Fight Night: Makachev vs Moises. Again, I listened to Jack Slack already this week, so I won’t be able to avoid having his analysis seep in, instead of the reverse, which is what usually happens Mr. Slack who I know is reading this because he’s secretly a goon.

All of this will be on ESPN/ESPN+

Main Card
Lightweight Islam Makhachev vs Thiago Moises
This is a lightweight Coming of Age story. Unfortunately, it should have happened on last week’s PPV where people would actually get to see the fighters, instead of on a card where nobody will. Though now they get a 5 round fight. This fight is an argument for making the prelim headliners 5 rounds. Do it, Dana. And pay me money for the idea and to be the UFC matchmaker. And quit your job and go away forever. See? I can’t even stay on topic with this card.

Makhachev is Khabib’s protégé and dietician. He’s like Khabib with a bit better striking, and a bit worse grappling. He has one career loss, getting clipped by Adriano Martins, who is a forgettable Brazilian kickboxer who actually can hit, so it’s essentially a puncher’s chance loss. His last fight he completely smeshed Drew Dober. Thiago Moises is the opposite of Drew Dober: a Brazilian who can grapple. His best UFC win is probably a cool achilles lock win over Michael Johnson, but he has beaten Bobby Green and Alexander Hernandez since then.

Bantamweight Marion Reneau vs Miesha Tate
mom fight mom fight Mom Fight Mom Fight MOM FIGHT MOM FIGHT! Actually it’s not that exciting. Reneau is at 44 the oldest woman ever to fight in the UFC at 44. She’s a gym teacher who has some decent wins in a long career but who is also on a 4 fight losing streak. She has never been finished. She mostly rassles and punches at people. Miesha Tate is only 34, but I think that still makes this the oldest women’s fight in UFC history. She’s the former champ and a major pioneer of the division, but she was also retired for 5 years doing ??? for ONE. She was mostly a wrestler too.

Lightweight Jeremy Stephens vs Mateusz Gamrot
Stephens is the most overrated KO artist in the game, because they call him that but he has like 6 finishes in 30 UFC fights. Last time out he didn’t even get out because he assaulted and injured his opponent at the weigh in. OH WELL. He’s on like a 5 fight winless streak. I really don’t hate him that much, but they should just permanently move him to #16 in the rankings and change his nickname to “The Gatekeeper.” Gamrot is a polish prospect who is 1-1 in the UFC. He TKOed Scott Holtzman in his last fight. Oh, he went 7 minutes against Garry Tonon at ADCC so he’s probably going to choke Stephens out unless he does something stupid and gets punched. Acually, Stephens is a competent counter wrestler. It’s almost as if this fight represents some kind of test and barrier to Gamrot’s future advancement in the division :thunk:

Middleweight Rodolfo Vieria vs Dustin Stolzfus
Viera is the greatest jiu jitsu guy ever. Or something. He also gassed like a chump in his last fight and got choked out by a purple belt. Stolzfus (I can’t type his name correctly even if I’m looking at it) is a DWCS guy who lost his debut to Kyle Daukaus. His record says “Grappler,” so this is probably an alley-oop for Vieria but maybe he’ll snatch defeat from the jaws of victory again.

Yeesh.

:siren:Gabriel Benitez vs Billy Quarantillo
This fight should fukken rock. Benitez is a Mexican brawler from AKA who is said (by his coaches) to be p4p one of the hardest kickers in the sport, recently KOing Justin Jaynes in December. Billy Quarantillo is a good wrestler who has been in some fun as poo poo fights, too, coming off his first UFC loss, to Gavin Tucker.

Prelims
Welterweight Daniel Rodriguez vs Preston Parsons
Why isn’t Rodriguez getting a spotlight? He has wins over Mike Perry, Tim Means, and others. He’s a scary looking dude who punches people. Is there some other guy who looks like him, though, who has been also on a tear? Preston Parsons is a debuting late replacement with lots of strangles on his record, and an early career loss to Mike Perry.

Strawweight Amanda Lemos vs Montserrat “Conejo” Ruiz
Big Tatty Goth Girlfriend is back. Ruiz is a Mexican wrestler who won her last fight by scarf holding her opponent for 3 rounds and then getting into a yelling match afterwards. It owned. Before that she was lined up for an Invicta title shot. She has finished several fights from scarf, actually. Lemos is a Brazilian who is on a 3-fight streak, including a decision over Mizuki and a KO of Livinha Souza, which was pretty sweet actually. This might be good, or at least funny.

Bantamweight Khalid Taha vs Sergey Morozov
??? Taha is German and his only UFC win is a KO of Boston Salmon. Morozov is Kazakhstani and his only UFC bout is a loss to Umar Nurmagomedov, who is an undefeated uber prospect.

Bantamweight Miles Johns vs Anderson Dos Santos
??? Johns is a 11-1 / 2-1 UFC DWCS guy whose most recent win was a POTN KO of Kevin Natividad. Dos Santos is a 21-8 / 1-2 Brazilian with a loss to a guy named Nad

Flyweight Francisco Figueirdo vs Malcolm Gordon
Figgy “Thong Song” Smallser is Deivison’s younger brother. He’s 1-0 in the UFC with a decision win over Jerome Rivera, who we saw get his head twisted off last weekend. Gordon is a Canadian TKO guy, 0-2 UFC

Heavyweight Alan Baudot vs Rodrigo Nascimento
Nascimento is a DWCS guy who got KOed by Chris Daukaus in 45 seconds. Baudot is a French/Canadian (not French-Canadian) TKO guy who got into the UFC as a late replacement off of some strange DQ win and then got beaten up by Tom Aspinall.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Foul Fowl posted:

it's really nice to live in a world where poirier is unequivocally a much better fighter than conor.

Better person too. But we'd known that for a while.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Hollandia posted:

Lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

threeagainstfour posted:

*Conor looking down at his tibia mid fight*

"Gonezo"

Hollandia posted:

Congratulations to these two people for making me laugh like I haven't in a while in these threads.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

CommonShore posted:

Lightweight Jeremy Stephens vs Mateusz Gamrot
Stephens is the most overrated KO artist in the game, because they call him that but he has like 6 finishes in 30 UFC fights. Last time out he didn’t even get out because he assaulted and injured his opponent at the weigh in. OH WELL. He’s on like a 5 fight winless streak. I really don’t hate him that much, but they should just permanently move him to #16 in the rankings and change his nickname to “The Gatekeeper.” Gamrot is a polish prospect who is 1-1 in the UFC. He TKOed Scott Holtzman in his last fight. Oh, he went 7 minutes against Garry Tonon at ADCC so he’s probably going to choke Stephens out unless he does something stupid and gets punched. Acually, Stephens is a competent counter wrestler. It’s almost as if this fight represents some kind of test and barrier to Gamrot’s future advancement in the division :thunk:

Stephens' KOs are pretty memorable. His finishes of Josh Emmett, RDA, Dennis Bermudez, and Rony Jason are all super nasty. He also has, by a significant margin, the most losses in UFC history so if he doesn't knock out Gamrot maybe he can pad his all-time record

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

reeg posted:

Stephens' KOs are pretty memorable. His finishes of Josh Emmett, RDA, Dennis Bermudez, and Rony Jason are all super nasty. He also has, by a significant margin, the most losses in UFC history so if he doesn't knock out Gamrot maybe he can pad his all-time record

Yeah that's probably a big part of why he gets called a KO artist. His big KOs are cool, but like, there actually aren't that many of them. I just counted: 7 finishes in all of those fights.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Hollandia posted:

We didn't come to take part, we came to fall over apart.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1415396959326818314

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

lmao the onion is great. lil heathen is ok too

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hollandia posted:

lol

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/KPetersonUFC/status/1415009454421069829?s=20

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

we were absolutely robbed of conor being destroyed in r2

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Give me the timeline where Poirier straight ankle locks McGregor in the second :unsmigghh:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Good on Poirier but I wouldn't want to be with my family and hear this closing in

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

is conor the biggest draw in all of combat sports history to have never defended a title?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

He's the biggest draw in (ok, non boxing) combat sports history, so pretty much by default yes.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Ringo Roadagain posted:

is conor the biggest draw in all of combat sports history to have never defended a title?

I mean, Floyd/Conor had double the buys of Floyd/Canelo. I don't see any other options

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Under that specific criteria? Yeah probably.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

When we throw mighty mouse and the klitschkos into the mix it seems to me like defending a title and being a draw are mutually exclusive or at least reveal an inverse correlation

:thunk:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I mean, he is the biggest draw in all of combat sports history so you can throw any fact in there for being true.

biggest draw in all of combat sports history to have been born in Ireland
biggest draw in all of combat sports history to have a whisky company
biggest draw in all of combat sports history to have throw a dolly at a bus
biggest draw in all of combat sports history to have his whole entourage get punked by Khabib immediately after yourself gets punked by Khabib in the octagon

Edit: As for that last one I'm pretty sure Conor is the only one to do so; he is just setting history everywhere.

jabro fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 16, 2021

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

How does he compare in 'draw' terms to some of the great boxers eg Mayweather , Tyson, Ali?

Also something that struck me watching the weekend fights is that love him or lothe him his fights are all dramatic and action packed. Even beyond the persona and chat I can see why people love to watch him fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

GTO posted:

How does he compare in 'draw' terms to some of the great boxers eg Mayweather , Tyson, Ali?

Also something that struck me watching the weekend fights is that love him or lothe him his fights are all dramatic and action packed. Even beyond the persona and chat I can see why people love to watch him fight.

It's hard to compare across eras. For example when Jack Johnson fought and flogged the great white hope basically the entire world was at a stand still and then there were literal riots.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I should rewatch "unforgivable blackness." probably my favorite sports documentary ever made

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

GTO posted:

I just checked and the Mayweather/Paq fight has the most buys where I thought it was Mayweather/ Conor so my earlier comment is wrong. Mayweather also has the most cards in the top 10 at 4 with Conor and Tyson at 3.

Ali is a different thing since there was no PPV. His fights were broadcast on live TV and some reached over 1 billion viewers. Hell his memorial service had 1 billion viewers. Mayweather and Conor will never reach that even if their fights were free.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I also found this still which I feel contains a Conor joke, with the "Gorilla Chest" and "Irish Setter," but I can't locate it.

Some men fight for sport
Others fight for food

The only thing I'm fighting for
Is to pay my lawyers good

See my chest, see my chest
tatts of crowned gorillas are the best

Hear this trash talk, there's no better
Than authentic Irish banter

See my leg, it was shattered
Now my career is in tatters

Cry against the cage
opponents wife will hear my rage

MMA fans they all titter
while my agent locks my twitter

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

BlindSite posted:

Some men fight for sport
Others fight for food

The only thing I'm fighting for
Is to pay my lawyers good

Hear this trash talk, there's no better
Than authentic Irish banter

See my leg, it was shattered
Now my career is in tatters

Cry against the cage