Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Archer666 posted:

I played a demo of 40k and Infinity and holy poo poo is 40k garbage compared to Infinity. Could be the smaller scale of engagement (40ks army vs Infinity squad based gaming), but everything in 40k seemed to take forever and involved a lot more dice rolling than it should have.

But at the end of the day I got a Sisters of Battle army cause Sisters rule.

It very much is a scale thing. Kill Team, the squad based version of 40k, takes like 45 minutes to knock out a game and it's actually kind of fun.

Zzulu posted:

I've been a fan of 40K since forever but I've never bought a little toyman or painted any toymen. I'm in it for the ridiculous lore, art/fanart and the occasional videogame

Yeah they got me when I was like 10 so now I'm cursed to think space marines are cool forever I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

Nice. I was joking I still really want to try it but the PS5 version is still $50. When it hits 30 or under I'm all over it.

Good. There's supposedly gonna be another piece of DLC later this year where you play as some dude helping Kyle Reese get to the teleporter so he can save Sarah Connor. Gonna own even if it costs money this time.

And speaking of Warhams, I played a bit of Chaos Gate a couple of months back. While it's slow rear end all hell it still manages to be fun. For a strategy game from 98 it holds up surprisingly well with a very intuitive controls and interface.
And it obviously has the best music of any of those games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3jkpT9CSSg

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
The game based on the Space Hulk board game is good too. Space Hulk: Tactics I think it was

Do not confuse it with Space Hulk: Deathwing

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Make a 40k style game like dark souls and ill play it

Necron Souls

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

PinheadSlim posted:

It very much is a scale thing. Kill Team, the squad based version of 40k, takes like 45 minutes to knock out a game and it's actually kind of fun.

Just play an actually genuinely good game, like Warmachine / Hordes instead.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

!Klams posted:

Just play an actually genuinely good game, like Warmachine / Hordes instead.

Nope sorry my brain done got poisoned and I like space marines now. I agree though anyone looking into getting into tabletop games and painting little fellas should maybe probably definitely avoid 40k tabletops.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I actually like hearing people tell small stories about their recent gaming moments, whether vidja or tabletop. It's dorky and adorable. It's only when they want to only talk about games or tell the entire plot to the game that it goes from charming to atrocious.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Nice. I was joking I still really want to try it but the PS5 version is still $50. When it hits 30 or under I'm all over it.

it seems like the kinda thing destined for PS+ eventually

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Make a 40k style game like dark souls and ill play it

Ork Souls

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PinheadSlim posted:

Executive : "Alright we have to decide between these two games to go forward with. The first one will be handled by an experienced development studio, it's much like the major hit game Dark Souls except you can play as several of the more popular units/factions from the 40k universe. Basically a re-imagining of our somewhat successful Space Marine game but there's more to do and the gameplay is better. Your thoughts, aging CEO?"

CEO : "Sounds expensive, and if there's more to do doesn't that mean they're spending more time playing video games and less time in our stores? And I really don't like the timetable here. Release in how many years? That sounds really expensive. What else do you have?"

Executive 2 : "We could hire a dirt cheap developer to, I dunno, make a chess-like board game? Dorks love chess and poo poo. We could knock it out in a year tops."

CEO : "Brilliant! It's a board game like our hit game, but it's less fun so they'll want to buy more miniatures instead! You've done it again Executive 2 you genius!"

This is apparently pretty much exactly what the former GW CEO was like.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gork and Mork Souls

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

Everyone seemed to think it would be as bad as the English voice acting in Yakuza 1, but dubbing in games has improved significantly since 2006

except Kingdom Hearts, which has somehow gotten worse

Kingdom Hearts games don't have dubbing, though? They're just 40 hours of static, which you stare at raptly as black ichor oozes from your mouth.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Kingdom Hearts games don't have dubbing, though? They're just 40 hours of static, which you stare at raptly as black ichor oozes from your mouth.

This but through the static I just hear "friend? Friiiiiend... friendddd"

Honestly a terrifying game.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Kingdom Hearts 1 had a straighforward plot, and then lmao they release some game that is only on japanese cellphones before the second one comes to the US and nobody knows wtf is going on. What a bold move with your disney rpg, square.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The game between 1 and 2 was for GBA and was pretty popular

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

syntaxfunction posted:

This but through the static I just hear "friend? Friiiiiend... friendddd"

Honestly a terrifying game.

only people with high iqs can see through the static and confusion to see the beautiful sexual tension between sora and riku. a boys love story to end all BL

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Zzulu posted:

I've been a fan of 40K since forever but I've never bought a little toyman or painted any toymen. I'm in it for the ridiculous lore, art/fanart and the occasional videogame

I'm the same with Mechwarrior/Battletech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c71x68uWd5k&list=PLR5zhFCFVb9Unr7My0Epa_QQQqa388AVh&index=10

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

Kingdom Hearts 1 had a straighforward plot, and then lmao they release some game that is only on japanese cellphones before the second one comes to the US and nobody knows wtf is going on. What a bold move with your disney rpg, square.

I'm pretty sure the devs are having some kind of context to make the plot as incomprehensible as possible

While also delivering it in presentation and a reading level that's clearly meant for children, and still having puddle-deep characterisation of all these anime pretty boys who the game almost exclusively focuses on in the latter half

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o1ieehttdA

is dunkey's explanation as accurate as his mgs one was?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Excelzior posted:

IIRC this has like exactly three actual jokes and they're all obvious

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

PinheadSlim posted:

It's like Games Workshop is afraid of releasing a game that's more fun than their awful tabletop game. Each video game is merely a barely fun advertisement to remind you that the even less fun Warhammer/40k exists.
Their former CEO admitted that he saw their video games as competition with their core product line

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Play posted:

I don't know if we really need MORE 40k games, there were like 4 released this year alone lmao

We need more GOOD 40k games, there's like one good one for every dozen that come out

The best is Necromunda Hired Gun, which is a secret spiritual successor to EYE The Divine Cybermancy

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Halloween Jack posted:

Their former CEO admitted that he saw their video games as competition with their core product line

turns out he's an idiot. there's huge cross promotion potential there - buy figurines, get a code for the beta/demo of the (hopefully good) warhams game, buy the game, get a discount code for an introductory tabletop package, designed to be a gateway drug.

why are the people in charge of these things always the biggest dumbs they could be?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Das Butterbrot posted:

turns out he's an idiot. there's huge cross promotion potential there - buy figurines, get a code for the beta/demo of the (hopefully good) warhams game, buy the game, get a discount code for an introductory tabletop package, designed to be a gateway drug.

why are the people in charge of these things always the biggest dumbs they could be?

Because they're rich kids handed wealth on a plate who rarely had to work for what they have and have little to no experience in the field they're in charge of.

Alternatively, itd becaude people are idiots in general and ceo's are still people.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

Because they're rich kids handed wealth on a plate who rarely had to work for what they have and have little to no experience in the field they're in charge of.

Alternatively, itd becaude people are idiots in general and ceo's are still people.

i mean i just googled the ceo of games workshop and he has worked there for like 25 years

maybe he's just an out of touch old man

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Caesar Saladin posted:

i mean i just googled the ceo of games workshop and he has worked there for like 25 years

Old man yells at video games.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Das Butterbrot posted:

I'm shocked they haven't gone the Amiibo/Spyro route and lured all the Wales in with nfc chipped figurines.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

The current one or the relatively recently ousted one? Policy's been pretty much a total turnaround for a while.

Tetrabor posted:

I'm shocked they haven't gone the Amiibo/Spyro route and lured all the Wales in with nfc chipped figurines.

That wouldn't really work given the nature of (most) Warhammer models, that is, you're explicitly meant to build and customise them yourself.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Caesar Saladin posted:

He's probably asked what cut of the quarters GW would get if they licensed a video game

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Das Butterbrot posted:

to be fair, you need to spend like $800 to buy all the poo poo you need to start playing the game (e.g. 2000 pt army, rulesbooks/index/codex, misc hobby supplies) - and frankly there are individual army pieces that can cost hundreds of dollars if you go all out. a video game is like... fifty bucks. so if you're of the age where people would bring fifty bucks to a dark corner in Toys R Us and get a video game back, the idea seems catastrophic.

in this post microtransaction world where people spend thousands of dollars on cellphone games playing loving hearthstone and raid shadow legends, you could easily get people to pay $800 without giving them a physical product. That seems WAYYYYY more profitable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Meme Poker Party posted:

Old man yells at video games.

the only old man who was justified at yelling at video games was hayao miyazaki, and only because some small time developer made a really bad unlicensed game of naussicaa...

...which could've avoided entirely if he'd been willing to work with developers for the license, so a game more in line with the themes of the film could have been produced

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What game is that?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Das Butterbrot posted:

The only reason that more than like 11 people give a poo poo about Warhammer Fantasy right now is due to Total War. That game brought in so much revenue for them. It also effectively killed Age of Sigmar, which was great for everyone but GW.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Excelzior posted:

This is both incredibly accurate and hilariously wrong (and he also skips over like 80% of the plot :v:)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pennsylvanian posted:

The only reason that more than like 11 people give a poo poo about Warhammer Fantasy right now is due to Total War. That game brought in so much revenue for them. It also effectively killed Age of Sigmar, which was great for everyone but GW.

It's pretty funny to me that every good game in Fantasy is set in the Old World and hardly anyone wants to make a game set in Age of Sigmar at all, much less a real developer who can make a good game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know fuckall about warhammer but that one where you kill thousands of ratmen with your friends was pretty fun.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

veni veni veni posted:

What game is that?

i think it's just called nausicaa of the valley of the wind, it's for the msx or the atari or smth. ugly as sin autoscrolling shooter where you play as nausicaa flying on mehve dropping bombs on ohmus

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I know fuckall about warhammer but that one where you kill thousands of ratmen with your friends was pretty fun.

Yeah they took a solid premise and spun a pretty good couple of games out of it. Vermintide is truly the best XCOM souls-like imo

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Play posted:

I don't know if we really need MORE 40k games, there were like 4 released this year alone lmao

Everyone keeps making 40k games about combat but that's a mistake. What we really need is a 40k politics simulator. 40k Crusader Kings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I don't know why they don't make a proper rpg like Baldur's Gate or Pillars or whatever.