Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Barreft posted:

Is Gabe pulling an Elon?

Well they haven’t announced that the Steam Deck will drive your car for you… yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Give me my Gabe Gear now! I don't wanna wait til next year. This is gonna be the perfect way for me to finally experience the Witcher 3.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They've updated the site since Gabe spilled the beans

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech

quote:

All models use socketed 2230 m.2 modules (not intended for end-user replacement)

So yeah, if you're feeling adventurous you can add up to 1TB yourself and it will probably be cheaper than what Valve is charging

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

So is the PCIe 2.0 x1 they say is in the 64GB version a bridge to the eMMC drive while the (shielded, hard to get to)M.2 port the same PCIe 3.0 x4 as listed for the other versions? I'd guess so, the board is probably the same across all three variants.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'm definitely waiting for reviews before buying but I think I'm leaning towards getting one of these things next year. It sounds great for travel.

Me too which is why I pre-ordered (q1 2022 supposedly) so I'll actually be able to get one next year. :v:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Kinda happy I didn't get in the first quarter for the steam brick. By the time I have to pay I assume I will see some reviews and better understand what it's capable of.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'm definitely waiting for reviews before buying but I think I'm leaning towards getting one of these things next year. It sounds great for travel.

Keep in mind that even if you reserve one, you don't HAVE to buy it. You will be offered one when the time comes, and then you will have the opportunity to purchase one.

Kind of hard to believe scalpers have been such a problem when Valve pretty much BTFO'd them altogether. Despite being in less supply than a PS5 these feel far more accessible, because bot access has been cut off entirely.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Oscar Wild posted:

Kinda happy I didn't get in the first quarter for the steam brick. By the time I have to pay I assume I will see some reviews and better understand what it's capable of.

That's how I feel. I mean it's only $5.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Oscar Wild posted:

a big part of preordering was the hype for getting new hardware at launch (which I haven't done since the Switch iirc) but yeah this is how I'm coping with my Q1 estimate

by December I'll have forgotten I even spent the five bucks in the first place

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Barreft posted:

That's how I feel. I mean it's only $5.
And from what I saw of the fine-print, if you ask for a refund of the deposit past 30 days, it gets credited to your Steam wallet, so it's basically still money you have.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

After some quick googling I found 1TB 2230 NVMe drives likely compatible with the Steam Deck for ~170-200 USD. This means if you buy the 64GB model of the Steam Deck and install one of those SSDs you'll have 512GB more storage than the top tier Deck SKU while paying less.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The storage isn't soldered? Sorry, I haven't been keeping up

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

it is

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/1416184430562058243
That's confirmation, Plagman is Pierre Loup at Valve.

That actually doesn't seem that bad. It'll be obvious though if you opened your device up

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Barreft posted:

Is Gabe pulling an Elon?

Remember the amount of hate Gabe got for always on DRM when CS 1.6 came out? All of the steam logo photoshop Friday pics

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Aw, they delayed that big Warhammer game that was coming out this year. Spring 2022 instead

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Rabid Snake posted:

Remember the amount of hate Gabe got for always on DRM when CS 1.6 came out? All of the steam logo photoshop Friday pics

I... have no idea. But I don't disagree with ya

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cavauro posted:

The storage isn't soldered? Sorry, I haven't been keeping up

it's not soldered but it's a less common form factor (30mm long m.2 rather than the usual 80mm long) and not designed to be easily user accessible

still, it means you can install up to a 1TB drive, and 256/512GB drives can be found for cheaper than valve is selling them for

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Steam Thread: both hands on Deck

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kazzah posted:

Steam Thread: who got the biggest Deck?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

JazzFlight posted:

Steam Thread: who got the biggest Deck?

GABE'S PROJECT Y/N?
DACK DACK DACK DACK DACK
DACK DACK DACK DACK DACK
DACK DACK DACK DACK DACK
DACK DACK DACK DACK DACK
DACK DACK DACK DACK DACK
DACK DACK DACK DACK DACK

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bardeh posted:

lol that's quite the turnaround in 24 hours

lmao

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

repiv posted:

it's not soldered but it's a less common form factor (30mm long m.2 rather than the usual 80mm long) and not designed to be easily user accessible

still, it means you can install up to a 1TB drive, and 256/512GB drives can be found for cheaper than valve is selling them for

thank you doggy

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cavauro posted:

thank you doggy

:shittydog:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Kazzah posted:

Let's dock our decks

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

BrianRx posted:

Kinda feels like I'm shouting into a storm right now because of how fast angry handheld discussion is moving, but I wouldn't really have a problem throwing money at the dev if my arm wasn't being twisted. I love FOSS, but I don't think everything useful needs to be zero cost. I just don't like that the choice is "install spyware" or "pay a subscription fee to keep your copy updated". There are other services with much more developed applications that offer the same thing that are at least upfront about being subscription-only.

I gave this a shot. It does what it's supposed to up to a certain point (you can locate values and their pointers and edit them) but nothing else seems to work and the repo was last updated three years ago.

Ah well. I guess it's not something I NEED, just something that was fun to mess with every once in a while.

This is waaaay back several hundred pages now, but what can I say I don't keep up with this thread often, but is CE actually "installing spyware" or is this just a case of not reading the installers text and quickly clicking "okay" before un-ticking the little boxes that are kinda hidden?

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I honestly don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I don't get this at all. To me personally anyway, a PC is for PC games, and mobile gaming is for games that are primarily designed as mobile games. The Switch adds convenience so that I can occasionally play away from the tv, but for me that was always a bonus to its main purpose as a console.

Now you might think, well who cares what you think buddy, but beyond my personal preferences, if this thing really takes off, won't it run the risk of muddling the difference between different types of gaming? I already think gaming is too infested with skinner-box busywork. Do we really want developers developing PC games more and more geared to the idea that they should also be optimized for mobile? I love a lot of Nintendo DS games and there are some good games for smartphones but I don't want the entire PC gaming world to start skewing in the direction of that design space.

Am I completely off to be thinking about this?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

yes

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
SteamDeck seems to be closer to the PS5/XS than the Switch was to PS4/XBO. Obviously some will say "no poo poo", but keep in mind SteamDeck is launching just a year after current gent consoles while Switch launched four years after last gen consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8p_myiqGP4

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Well...why?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

nemesis_hub posted:

I honestly don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I don't get this at all. To me personally anyway, a PC is for PC games, and mobile gaming is for games that are primarily designed as mobile games. The Switch adds convenience so that I can occasionally play away from the tv, but for me that was always a bonus to its main purpose as a console.

Now you might think, well who cares what you think buddy, but beyond my personal preferences, if this thing really takes off, won't it run the risk of muddling the difference between different types of gaming? I already think gaming is too infested with skinner-box busywork. Do we really want developers developing PC games more and more geared to the idea that they should also be optimized for mobile? I love a lot of Nintendo DS games and there are some good games for smartphones but I don't want the entire PC gaming world to start skewing in the direction of that design space.

It's okay if you don't like it, you aren't the target audience.

As far as it being optimized for mobile..that's really not a concern. The Steam Deck is just a laptop with a different physical shell. There's nothing to change or develop specifically for it, it's just a PC with a controller and monitor built in. So yes, you are completely off on that regard.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

nemesis_hub posted:

No ones reading that. They either want it or don't.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Zeron posted:

It's okay if you don't like it, you aren't the target audience.

As far as it being optimized for mobile..that's really not a concern. The Steam Deck is just a laptop with a different physical shell. There's nothing to change or develop specifically for it, it's just a PC with a controller and monitor built in. So yes, you are completely off on that regard.

I don't think you got what I'm saying. If the Steam Deck becomes a huge hit, then there might be a temptation for developers to tailor their future titles to the install base, and create games better suited for mobile. If complex simulations, strategy games, rpgs, etc, prove to be less popular on the Steam Deck than games that are simpler, then future development could be influenced by the desire to appeal to the install base.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

nemesis_hub posted:

Well...why?
What exactly are you worried about?
If it's this:

quote:

I already think gaming is too infested with skinner-box busywork. Do we really want developers developing PC games more and more geared to the idea that they should also be optimized for mobile?
Then that has nothing to do with being portable. That's something that grew on phones because of a bigger pie to take a slice out of (meaning you can profit even with only a tiny fraction of people falling for it) and because paid apps didn't get traction, so in app purchases became the norm. To the extent that that works on PC/console games it has already arrived in all the F2P micro transaction heavy games. Even if this becomes such a roaring success that it takes 50% of the PC market share it's not going to change monetization strategy in a meaningful way.

If the fear is that control schemes will change or that UI's will gear themselves to small screens, that's a slightly more reasonable concern, but I feel like that's already there with all the console ports that already exist.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

nemesis_hub posted:

I don't think you got what I'm saying. If the Steam Deck becomes a huge hit, then there might be a temptation for developers to tailor their future titles to the install base, and create games better suited for mobile. If complex simulations, strategy games, rpgs, etc, prove to be less popular on the Steam Deck than games that are simpler, then future development could be influenced by the desire to appeal to the install base.

You think the Deck is going to infect the current market for complex simulations, strategy games, rpgs, etc and make those customers play nothing but console-style games instead?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

nemesis_hub posted:

The existence of the steam deck won't make all other computers disappear. Also the steam deck can be plugged into a monitor with a keyboard and mouse. Valve demonstrated Crusader Kings 3 being played that way. Having another option for playing your games is not a threat. If anything it will encourage developers better optimize their games and make linux versions. It's not like Paradox is going to stop making grand strategy games because the steam deck exists.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

nemesis_hub posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress you're even talking about, have you seen the Steam Deck? Its a handheld that is designed to play, exactly the kind of games you're talking about. Three out of the like five games they show off on the Steam Deck website are Disco Elysium, Crusader Kings III, and Factorio

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah. it wontn be able to run anything else so i wouldnt worry.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

What exactly are you worried about?
If it's this:

Then that has nothing to do with being portable. That's something that grew on phones because of a bigger pie to take a slice out of (meaning you can profit even with only a tiny fraction of people falling for it) and because paid apps didn't get traction, so in app purchases became the norm. To the extent that that works on PC/console games it has already arrived in all the F2P micro transaction heavy games. Even if this becomes such a roaring success that it takes 50% of the PC market share it's not going to change monetization strategy in a meaningful way.

If the fear is that control schemes will change or that UI's will gear themselves to small screens, that's a slightly more reasonable concern, but I feel like that's already there with all the console ports that already exist.

This makes sense, thanks for this, and for the other actual answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Preordered both the 512 version and the 64 one (one for me, one for my son). Mostly what surprises me is that valve is selling stuff in Canada. Other hardware has been a real pain to get up here. I can deal with the q2 ‘22 timeline.

If nothing else the way scalpers have been going on physical hardware I feel like the downside here is pretty low.

Also:

https://twitter.com/moonscript/status/1416081351778832388?s=20