Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

euphronius posted:

I mean the nba may have said “sell the team “

anyway it’s not the evil woman who drug the team down. oslhey never got a second star who could play defense also and that’s it

considering how many sexual harassment lawsuits she has pending, she just might be the evil woman here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Blazers have been so consistently mediocre for so long, and Dame has been Steph's playoff punching bag like three times now. Even their best recent playoff run was just setting themselves up to get swept by the Warriors in humiliating fashion, and this year somehow ended even worse.

At age 31 it's probably a good time for Dame to get out. His stock is high right now and frankly I don't think the Blazers have a shot at being a contender while bearing the burden of his 35% supermax. They can't match him with another star and their existing cast has all sorts of problems.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if I were a basketball player and I cared about winning a championship I wouldn’t take a max or supermax deal. but I wouldn’t care about winning a championship, so I would take it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

indigi posted:

if I were a basketball player and I cared about winning a championship I wouldn’t take a max or supermax deal. but I wouldn’t care about winning a championship, so I would take it.

this is what durant did when he went to the warriors

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

vyelkin posted:

He probably made it back and then some through bigger endorsements, etc. that he got being on a big market team and winning a couple rings. The economics of the NBA are so loving stupid.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

He probably made it back and then some through bigger endorsements, etc. that he got being on a big market team and winning a couple rings. The economics of the NBA are so loving stupid.

yeah I have no doubt that he's richer now than he would have been hypothetically staying at OKC on a max or supermax contract. Salary cap wrangling is wild.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Wasn’t his contact such that while he was making less it didn’t actually give the Warriors any extra flexibility because of cap stuff? He was basically just saving the owners from bigger luxury tax bills iirc

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Wasn’t his contact such that while he was making less it didn’t actually give the Warriors any extra flexibility because of cap stuff? He was basically just saving the owners from bigger luxury tax bills iirc

My recollection is that it gave them cap space to keep Iguodala, but I never ran the numbers myself.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i'm like 90% sure this is correct

he might have kept them team together longer by doing so since the owners might have blown up the team if the luxury tax went too high

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

My recollection is that it gave them cap space to keep Iguodala, but I never ran the numbers myself.

they had iggy's bird rights

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

is this really true for a guy at KD’s level? I could see guys like Dame or Booker or PG tier guys making more endorsement money when they move to a bigger media market, but at the top top LeBron/Durant tier (it’s just them two on it right now) I don’t think it matters that much where you play

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

i'm like 90% sure this is correct

he might have kept them team together longer by doing so since the owners might have blown up the team if the luxury tax went too high

yeah, I think Lacob is one of the more cash-poor owners

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

do you think Giannis’ dick is bigger than 10 inches

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Giannis is a good center

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Giannis is incredible

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Embiid did not get that call

Paul did

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

connauton not ready for prime time

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

indigi posted:

is this really true for a guy at KD’s level? I could see guys like Dame or Booker or PG tier guys making more endorsement money when they move to a bigger media market, but at the top top LeBron/Durant tier (it’s just them two on it right now) I don’t think it matters that much where you play

I think it matters even more if you're a huge name. Theres no real ceiling on how much money a big star could potentially make. LeBron didn't become a billionaire by sitting in Cleveland.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ok that was a foul

fair enough

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Booby Portis playing defense

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

euphronius what the gently caress man I thought I was missing the game somehow. please realign yourself with the prime timeline

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

comnaton revivial

ayton chokes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bobby Portos playing in crunch time in the finals is messing with me

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

never talk to me about refs again

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

euphronius posted:

never talk to me about refs again

Booker ended up with like 8 fouls if you’re where I think you are lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

booker should not even be in the game

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oh this is a repeat lol

never mind

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
no go on

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius what the gently caress man I thought I was missing the game somehow. please realign yourself with the prime timeline

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

watching it in real time that Block was good but also BOOKER SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN IN THE GAME

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao Paul fell down welp

why is booker in the game !??

do you see what I’m saying about refs ???

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

another booker foul

incredible

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BOOKER IS COMPLAINING ABOUT BEING FOULED

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol he hasn't even gotten to the good part

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

I think it matters even more if you're a huge name. Theres no real ceiling on how much money a big star could potentially make. LeBron didn't become a billionaire by sitting in Cleveland.

LeBron signed with Nike when he was in Cleveland, he didn’t need to go to Miami (not really a huge market either) to become a billionaire

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SVG was going on about the block but I don’t think he realizes how bad the pass was . I don’t blame him it’s hard thinking through stuff in the moment like that

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

indigi posted:

LeBron signed with Nike when he was in Cleveland, he didn’t need to go to Miami (not really a huge market either) to become a billionaire

It was still a big step up from Cleveland. The move also let him build a winning team, and I'm certain that winning championships boosts your value as a star quite a lot. Someone like KD going from a perennial loser to having a couple big market rings on his fingers has gotta be worth a ton. Even if a bunch of fans hate him he's still getting league-wide attention and picking up a ton of bandwagon fans. I have no idea how companies decide how much $ to offer on endorsements but I'm sure they're looking at those kinds of analytics.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/st...ladelphia-76ers

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo, counting money dude was incredible

lmao

https://streamable.com/6p20zj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU