Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Dreamerdeceiver52 posted:

Any fellow Sons of Behemat in the thread? I've got 4 Mega-Gargants done and 6 Mancrushers done, with another 3 Mancrushers on the way.

Have only played one game of 3.0 so far, but I like the direction GW seems to be going in - toning down the rerolls, more interactivity is great, only thing I don't like so far is the Unleash Hell CA.

I think these are looking great, well done!

I’ve got an army coming together for them. Pretty much everybody is built and primed, but I haven’t worked up the nut to paint them quite yet. Never done any flesh that wasn’t on a space marine’s face.

Do you use BattleScribe? Last night I was trying to make a list, and I couldn’t pick a leader mega-Gargant that wasn’t also a mercenary. Is that how it works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I really dont need that Extremis set but the Harbinger set coming with another excellent Swampcalla/trio of equally awesome Praetors might make it very worth it for me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Talas posted:

This one:

Thanks! All Google showed me was stuff about the extremis chamber.

I love the look of this, it's essentially the opposite of the Warcry ruins.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Der Waffle Mous posted:

and then the addon tier is potgrot.

:colbert:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

poo poo my mistake

Dreamerdeceiver52
Nov 11, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

I think these are looking great, well done!

Cheers!

Captain Magic posted:

I’ve got an army coming together for them. Pretty much everybody is built and primed, but I haven’t worked up the nut to paint them quite yet. Never done any flesh that wasn’t on a space marine’s face.

I watched the Warhammer TV videos, plus Duncan Rhodes video on Mega-Gargants which helped make them less intimidating to paint, but also helped with sub assemblies as well. I definitely recommend them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUEhlFRXnFI

Captain Magic posted:

Do you use BattleScribe? Last night I was trying to make a list, and I couldn’t pick a leader mega-Gargant that wasn’t also a mercenary. Is that how it works?

I don't use Battlescribe for AoS at all, I did try it though, the leader Megas are in the Battleline section, and you can't seem to give them CAs/Artefacts or make them a General :doh:
Better off with Warscroll Builder: https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

MinistryofLard posted:

So trying to do some list building, and my guess is that this edition is going to have the same issues 40k did with detachments in that tons of them are effectively taxes.

E.g. I to run Kroak, but couldn't because I needed to run 2 Leader taxes instead to make up a Warlord detachment.

Factions with cheap leaders who can hang back are going to be good this edition.

Battalions are not like 40K detachments, they are entirely optional. You can just run Kroak outside of a battalion. Battalions just provide a bonus if you structure parts of your army to fit them.

The only “taxes” in an AoS army are the battleline unit requirements.

Also I won a 3-game, one day tournament last weekend with a Sons of Behemat 4 mega-gargant list. They are very fun to play with.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I’m still shocked they’re an upper tier army in the new rules now. It’s pretty great, honestly.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Dreamerdeceiver52 posted:

Cheers!

I watched the Warhammer TV videos, plus Duncan Rhodes video on Mega-Gargants which helped make them less intimidating to paint, but also helped with sub assemblies as well. I definitely recommend them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUEhlFRXnFI

I don't use Battlescribe for AoS at all, I did try it though, the leader Megas are in the Battleline section, and you can't seem to give them CAs/Artefacts or make them a General :doh:
Better off with Warscroll Builder: https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/

Thanks for the tips!

Warscroll builder is neat, just wish it had the full write-ups that BattleScribe gives in one document.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm probably going to pick up the main boxed set (or maybe one of the other starter sets), mostly with a view to getting back into greenskins. I sold most of my figures nearly a decade ago, think I just have the big spider (couldn't let that thing go) and maybe some night goblins left. Although I'll mostly be buying the models just cos they're fun and will be enjoyable to paint, it'd be good to think about how an overall army would look. Would you just be able to slot in a bunch of extra goblins and Arachnarok into the Dominion set? And more importantly... how easy is it to pull a bunch of weedy gobbos off of square bases and put them onto round ones? (at least I never glued the spider onto its base!)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Marmaduke! posted:

I'm probably going to pick up the main boxed set (or maybe one of the other starter sets), mostly with a view to getting back into greenskins. I sold most of my figures nearly a decade ago, think I just have the big spider (couldn't let that thing go) and maybe some night goblins left. Although I'll mostly be buying the models just cos they're fun and will be enjoyable to paint, it'd be good to think about how an overall army would look. Would you just be able to slot in a bunch of extra goblins and Arachnarok into the Dominion set? And more importantly... how easy is it to pull a bunch of weedy gobbos off of square bases and put them onto round ones? (at least I never glued the spider onto its base!)

You can probably ally the goblins in but greenskins have actually been split into two factions with the Orcs going into 'Orruk Warclans' (which is the faction the models in the starter box belong to) and all the Goblins and Trolls getting their own faction called 'Gloomspite Gitz'.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Marmaduke! posted:

And more importantly... how easy is it to pull a bunch of weedy gobbos off of square bases and put them onto round ones? (at least I never glued the spider onto its base!)

Depends on how you've glued them on :v:

Plastic glue, you gotta carefully cut them off. Superglue, throw them in the freezer for a bit and they should snap off.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

AnEdgelord posted:

You can probably ally the goblins in but greenskins have actually been split into two factions with the Orcs going into 'Orruk Warclans' (which is the faction the models in the starter box belong to) and all the Goblins and Trolls getting their own faction called 'Gloomspite Gitz'.

There’s a bunch of gobs and at least one troll in Kruleboyz, tho. Sloggoth’s the biggest troll they’ve done, in fact, with a bunch of goblins riding on its back.

E: two trolls. There’s the swamp trogg mounted orruk boss, too. Pity hobgrots suck.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Hobgrots will get something to buff them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Big and large!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I wish they had female sculpts for that unit, my girlfriend wants one to be Stormcast Noi.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

I wish they had female sculpts for that unit, my girlfriend wants one to be Stormcast Noi.
I'm thinking about swapping one of their heads anyway for one from Forgeworld.
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Stormcast-Eternals-Heads-Upgrade-2-2019
I've had that set for a long time and I think it's time to finish using the few I have left with all the new stormcasts.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Mors Rattus posted:

If you green stuff over the pec cleft and put a female head on the body it'd pretty much be done.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Winklebottom posted:

Plastic glue, you gotta carefully cut them off. Superglue, throw them in the freezer for a bit and they should snap off.

Thanks, I shall dig out my old models and find a suitable "volunteer" :D

AnEdgelord posted:

Interesting, I hope there's some scope to combine them for proper games. Back in the day allying was a bit rubbish as people would usually use it as a way of making up for their army's weaknesses, e.g. putting cannons in a Chaos or Vampire army...

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Are there any resources out there for sculpting cloaks/furs? I have some Varanguard and I'd like to see if I can visually tie them a little closer to the other chaos warriors.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

have been painting the Blood Knights this week and man, a real step up from the usual units I've done----probably the biggest model I've done besides the 40k blighthauler (which was easier due to broader space to slather metal and pink on.) Amazing models though, the entire Sigmar line has extraordinary detail.

The least fun models I've done as of late were those Cursed City zombies, which have all those loving tree branches sticking out of an already micro-size model that's a bit hard to paint due to how shrunken it is. No idea why those zombies are so tiny, makes it a bummer to paint.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I primarily am interested in 40k, specifically, Necrons. However, I bought the Indomitus box and thought it was a great value, and am noticing this Dominion box is probably also a good value.

I'm not terribly into Fantasy over Scifi, but I am mildly interested in terms of expanding my minis collection to build and paint, so I'm trying to talk myself out of it. Why shouldn't I give it a shot? Is there a sort of 1:1 with the Necrons but AoS?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Closest you'll get are the Ossiarch Bonereapers, who are kind of Byzantine legions of undead skeleton supermen created from artisanal bone and soul sculpting to conquer the world in the name of Skeletor.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Soulblight Gravelords also have a lot of Necron shenanigans going on. Powerful magic and also resurrections (and summons) of battleline units possible on every turn. Tarpit enemies with cheap throwaway skeletons/zombies/wolves and then wait for the hard-hitting elites to jump in.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Bonereapers got the "tough to kill chunky elite army" part of Necrons and SBGL have the "individually fragile but constantly self-regenerating army based around auras" part of Necrons.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Basically all of Necrons is spread out through the entire Death Grand Alliance, the closest are Soulblight Gravelords and Ossiarch Bonereapers but Flayed Ones and Ghouls are basically the same thing so Flesh Eater Courts is pretty much an entire army of Flayed Ones and even Nighthaunt has some parallels. Necrons are meant to be the space undead so they are at least somewhat similar to all of the undead factions.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Winklebottom posted:

If I put a model in the freezer will all the super glue connections break or just the ones I try to break?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Dreylad posted:

If I put a model in the freezer will all the super glue connections break or just the ones I try to break?

All the super glue will become fragile, but you would still have to break the bonds. So, if you freeze it, the model will hang together, but it won't be as solid as it was before.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Dreylad posted:

What the other guy said but also not all joins will separate easily. If the surface area is large, complex and tight fitting you might not be able to impart enough shear to the joint to fracture the glue before material failure (for plastic/resin kits).

If freezing doesn't work and the model is metal, drop it into a solvent and everything will come apart.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
How long does it normally take for GW to restock thier online stock? I've been thinking about buying the Freeguild griffon for about three weeks now and its not been in stock the whole time.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Usually a week or so, lately indefinitely

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Desfore posted:

All the super glue will become fragile, but you would still have to break the bonds. So, if you freeze it, the model will hang together, but it won't be as solid as it was before.

Z the IVth posted:

What the other guy said but also not all joins will separate easily. If the surface area is large, complex and tight fitting you might not be able to impart enough shear to the joint to fracture the glue before material failure (for plastic/resin kits).

If freezing doesn't work and the model is metal, drop it into a solvent and everything will come apart.

Thanks! I did some subassembly on my dawnrider bannerman which was a mistake because the glued banner-holding arm is in a position such that the bottom of the banner pole is bent against his foot. Wanted to fix that somehow -- it'd suck to freeze it since it's fully assembled, so I may just have to accept that it's going to be like that.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Quick tip with the super glue freezer trick that the expansion and contraction of the glue will break the bonds so when you take your dollies out of the freezer hit it with a hot hair dryer to make it even easier to break.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
You can also try Super Glue Debonder?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

If the model is metal I almost always go with the nuclear option of an acetone bath for either stripping or disassembly.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That's is, Dominion ordered. It's funny seeing the 40K thread stressing over the Orks release (which is quite funny) and the comparisons with Dominion; I actually got it at the cheapest I've seen (with an extra 5% off as well), so clearly it's no fully selling out everywhere. But that's a good thing!!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

And by the same measure has also meant that :reject: call the game dead in the water because there's so many Dominion boxes left.
Meanwhile the box has been moved to last chance to buy on the GW store.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
There definitely was a much larger supply or lower demand than expected for Dominion. Discountgamesinc had different discount tiers for when it was going to ship, but mine that was scheduled for December already shipped last Thursday.

That being said, I'm pretty sure there was still an insane amount of demand, they just didn't want another Indomitus fiasco on their hands.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Agreed, we actually convinced a few 40k player to play AoS thanks to Dominion availability and price. And this is with a store that still has a couple of boxes of Indomitus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I think they vastly overrated demand. The fact that all these stores that were supposed to get their third waves in November/December wound up getting everything already certainly seems to point to GW thinking they were going to sell a lot more through the web store than they actually did.

I think some of it may have to do with a lot of people weren't as receptive to the Krule Boyz. Personally, I would have liked to see classic Orruks / Iron Jawz bolstered by new units, rather than a reimagining of orcs to be bolted onto greenskins.

People love their orcs / orks, and I don't think they care for the aesthetic changing.