Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Is Mikey D and Mikey Boy the same person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

who's the guy that always called Ron "boss"?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

AndrewP posted:

who's the guy that always called Ron "boss"?

I think that was Bronx Johnny, he was alright

mafia life chris is definitely the worst out of all the hangers-on, imo. nothing really ever funny and there weren't even really jokes at his expense for the most part.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Oh right, I was confusing him with Hard Rock Johnny.

Mikey Boy and Mafia Life Chris are familiar names but I can't say I remember anything they ever did on the show.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Mikey Boy ran RonFez.net I think.

He was involved in some of the siren series quizzes and was in the studio from time to time.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Does Big A still hang around Ant? I always enjoyed Big A as he always seemed smart enough to be in on the bit.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

TL posted:

Does Big A still hang around Ant? I always enjoyed Big A as he always seemed smart enough to be in on the bit.

The Big A "Big Fez" bit is still one of my favorites of all time. If you haven't heard it you need to listen

https://youtu.be/Miel1wQ154E

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

The Big A "Big Fez" bit is still one of my favorites of all time. If you haven't heard it you need to listen

https://youtu.be/Miel1wQ154E

Trimmed this from the middle

Might make a good sound effect somewhere i dunno

https://twitter.com/i/status/1415524964250357760

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

TL posted:

S...S....ST...STO....ST....ST....ST....Stop me if you've heard this one before.

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006
I'm talking about flagellation, who gives a damn about parades
Listening to a bunch of old Al Dukes, Joe Poo, Billy Staples stuff and they're entertaining in an awful, I despise these people sort of way. But when they bring the listeners in, scummy shitbag dudes and women who have zero personality and have just dead voices, was that entertaining in this era? Just talking about going to the bar and hanging out with other scumbag people, was the show super local (as far as just heard in New York so they could actually meet each other) or am I missing something?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

OlyMike posted:

Listening to a bunch of old Al Dukes, Joe Poo, Billy Staples stuff and they're entertaining in an awful, I despise these people sort of way. But when they bring the listeners in, scummy shitbag dudes and women who have zero personality and have just dead voices, was that entertaining in this era? Just talking about going to the bar and hanging out with other scumbag people, was the show super local (as far as just heard in New York so they could actually meet each other) or am I missing something?

Especially being local, they had to play up to the lowest common denominator. I mean, these are people entertained by "The human being of the Opera", primarily just to slip the slur in. So I think it was just Ron and Fez swimming in rubes until they went national

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

OlyMike posted:

Ron has always tried to do as little work as possible. There's a stretch of years where almost everything involves listeners and their message board drama.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

still prefer that to some crappy comedian guest.

Ron was friends with all these O+A adjacent NY comedy guys and had them on the show, but was so much funnier than any of them. like do people actually find Rich Vos funny?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Vos is funny imo

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I remember when Last Comic Standing was on and Vos was clearly the funniest contestant, but that was owing entirely to his having been in the business for thirty years already. Then he bombed in the final round, almost as if he was supposed to, and Dat Phan won, leading to a very funny guest spot on Tough Crowd.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

fair enough, it's been a long time and I just remember never being impressed.

speaking of comedian guests, I'll never forget the time Ron and Fez had Todd Barry in and it was horribly awkward, and not funny Fez awkward. can't remember the specifics but I think Fez brought up some grim news story and Todd was extremely uncomfortable joking about it.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Rich Vos is the definition of hack comedian.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i never heard him on ron and fez but vos was mostly treated as a whipping boy on o&a

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
The "Vos in The Shining" bit was one of my favorite O&A segments ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiaHxVFFhxw

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Stefan Prodan posted:

Vos is funny imo

T Bowl posted:

Rich Vos is the definition of hack comedian.

Both true

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
His comedy and radio persona are hit or miss, but he's pretty good at roast material imo

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I saw Vos in Raleigh and I think he briefly made fun of Russell Wilson in the audience without knowing who it was (because why would you know the sophomore starting QB for the wolfpack), so I think it's funny that Vos has no idea he crowd worked a super bowl winning QB

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

AndrewP posted:

like do people actually find Rich Vos funny?

No people I know

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
He looks like a jockey who stole his horse's teeth. Also drat Ben Bailey is so good on the Patrice roast.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I mean this is some pretty good content. Funny because of Rich Vos or despite him? You be the judge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFm7Qhd7SeM

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tan8_aDWX78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOhXgoIRu0U

The best things about Vos are his stupidity and ability to take a beating.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I may have said this in the thread before but Vos and Karl Pilkington are my two examples that you do not have to be smart to be funny and I think both of those guys are genuinely dumb and also purposefully funny

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
https://www.pastemagazine.com/comedy/anthony-cumia/twitter-permanently-suspends-anthony-cumia/

Read until the end. Definitely worth it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/BrianPMccarthy/status/1422353827576090625

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

:allears:

Anthony's 'game' is notoriously weak, even in the O&A days all he could muster up was a list of all the cool, expensive things in his house.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

It's been years since I thought about O&A so I randomly decided to check this thread out and this is more than I could have hoped for, lmao

Is Jim & Sam still a thing

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_tpZf62opw

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Is Jim & Sam still a thing

yup.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Coinsider yourself, fin-cucked!

Meth Rollins
Jun 24, 2005

Another Bill posted:

e: Didn't someone try to get a twitter mob after Opie for the homeless cake thing like years after they went off the air? lol

Years ago, I shortly worked Support for the webhost that used to host OpieRadio.com. The training instructor told us about how Opie had to call in periodically during all those occasions where the homeless cake story would make waves and the site would get hacked. Opie would say "Yeah bro, those guys on reddit are outta control". The instructor was like "well yeah... but that is you stomping that cake right?"

Later that day when most of the class dispersed, I brought up that I was a pretty big fan.

Instructor: "Of what? His fuckin cake stompings?!?"

Me: "Well no, not so much that as his radio sh..." before realizing that explanation was no better at all

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

https://youtu.be/WepSpYTU1F0

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Normally I get annoyed when people don't in-line youtubes but this 100% called for the surprise and it got a big :lol: out of me

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

pease hode

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Meth Rollins posted:

Years ago, I shortly worked Support for the webhost that used to host OpieRadio.com. The training instructor told us about how Opie had to call in periodically during all those occasions where the homeless cake story would make waves and the site would get hacked. Opie would say "Yeah bro, those guys on reddit are outta control". The instructor was like "well yeah... but that is you stomping that cake right?"

Later that day when most of the class dispersed, I brought up that I was a pretty big fan.

Instructor: "Of what? His fuckin cake stompings?!?"

Me: "Well no, not so much that as his radio sh..." before realizing that explanation was no better at all

lol your instructor correctly assumed there is no such thing as an actual fan of opie

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

beep by grandpa posted:

Normally I get annoyed when people don't in-line youtubes but this 100% called for the surprise and it got a big :lol: out of me

I am just now learning that pasting a YouTube link doesn’t actually create an in-line video. It must be the iOS app making them automatically appear in-line to me. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
They remade The Wonder Years with a black family. Cumia on suicide watch.