Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mandatory lesbian posted:

I live in minneapolis, bithc

I live in Chicago and I love non-bus public transit. But in America the options are dire such that someone requiring a car to live isn't unreasonable, and saying "lol just take the bus" isn't really feasible (by design).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

found a likely “I don’t ride the bus cause it’s filled with poors” guy

Actually I've got a way hotter take. Busses are just an extension of american car-culture, but catering specifically to people that can't afford a car "poors" as you would say. They are inefficient by design, and exist so that domestic car companies can sell more cars after buying out their competition in the 30's (public transit) and intentionally running them into the ground. Now the bus systems can exist only through massive subsidies that go directly into the public-private partnership setup and sold off by those same corporations. This has the handy knock-on effect of disallowing any capital improvements into more efficient public transit systems like light-rail, commuter trains, or electric cable cars because well-meaning liberals like you say "well why don't you just take the bus" whenever someone points out the inherent problems of the existing system.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
shut up and eat your bloomin onion

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Actually I've got a way hotter take. Busses are just an extension of american car-culture, but catering specifically to people that can't afford a car "poors" as you would say. They are inefficient by design, and exist so that domestic car companies can sell more cars after buying out their competition in the 30's (public transit) and intentionally running them into the ground. Now the bus systems can exist only through massive subsidies that go directly into the public-private partnership setup and sold off by those same corporations. This has the handy knock-on effect of disallowing any capital improvements into more efficient public transit systems like light-rail, commuter trains, or electric cable cars because well-meaning liberals like you say "well why don't you just take the bus" whenever someone points out the inherent problems of the existing system.

lol

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

indigi posted:

found a likely “I don’t ride the bus cause it’s filled with poors” guy

For fun, I just checked on google maps how much longer bussing to my work would take compared to driving.

Two extra hours, each way.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

There's no public transport where I'm at, so I guess that would add infinity travel time. If I had a job anymore. Also lol that even more businesses here are shutting down for good.

America is truly the land of (access to the idea of) opportunity.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mandatory lesbian posted:

public transit thats worth a drat
:crossarms:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tunicate posted:

For fun, I just checked on google maps how much longer bussing to my work would take compared to driving.

I'm sure that's just a coincidence though. Surely there exists no correlation between how poo poo busses are and lack of support for better transit options.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/cnbc/status/1415378617362788352?s=21

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Tunicate posted:

sorry you live or work in some barren wasteland. every major city has bus routes that are well planned and run and occasionally faster than rail. they also go places rail can’t or shouldn’t. I took public transit around loving Buffalo last time I visited, which I had to do because it’s such a podunk nowhere town they didn’t have Uber or Lyft yet.

the main problem is that they stop running anywhere between 7-11pm which does render them useless for second and third shift workers, but that’s a profitability/policy issue not a design or implementation issue

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

"major city," huh? nice goalposts you got there. be a shame if someone were to... move them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

"major city," huh? nice goalposts you got there. be a shame if someone were to... move them

check the original post I took issue with which claims that two (2) cities in the US have public transportation

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
why don’t you just move outside of the US, every country loves Americans so it’ll be easy to be accepted elsewhere right?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I will marry any Scandinavian goon. I get: escape from America, slightly longer time until climate doom. You get: my takes that are too spicy for the forum, weed smoking lessons. PMs are open

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

indigi posted:

check the original post I took issue with which claims that two (2) cities in the US have public transportation

bay area has pretty good public transit from what i hear. I can only speak to Philly, but ours...well it has its moments

funny enough, LA, the 2nd largest city in America has such bad public transit that it's famous for everyone driving everywhere

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
maybe they should just move, haha

https://twitter.com/SuzyKhimm/status/1415351607026458631?s=20

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

over/under on time time adopting those policies to an American grenfell tower incident?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Nastier Nate posted:

funny enough, LA, the 2nd largest city in America has such bad public transit that it's famous for everyone driving everywhere

this is straight up because nobody wants to take the bus and what changed my opinion on buses. the first two times I went to LA I didn’t have enough to rent a car and Uber/Lyft didn’t exist yet so I had to bus to get around. they came surprisingly frequently and there was great neighborhood coverage. it’d be legit impossible to build rail within walking distance of everywhere you’d like to go in LA cause it’s a sprawl hellscape but you can get anywhere with a bus and a transfer

it took ~20% longer to get there than if you drove but you can get there pretty easily, idk if it’s fallen off in the last 10 years but it was a legit option to get around the city

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

indigi posted:

this is straight up because nobody wants to take the bus and what changed my opinion on buses. the first two times I went to LA I didn’t have enough to rent a car and Uber/Lyft didn’t exist yet so I had to bus to get around. they came surprisingly frequently and there was great neighborhood coverage. it’d be legit impossible to build rail within walking distance of everywhere you’d like to go in LA cause it’s a sprawl hellscape but you can get anywhere with a bus and a transfer

it took ~20% longer to get there than if you drove but you can get there pretty easily, idk if it’s fallen off in the last 10 years but it was a legit option to get around the city

you clearly don’t rely on public transit, or never leave the most gentrified areas with this pollyanna attitude. every major city in america is run by neoliberal austerity shitheads, and chronically underfunding transit is as common as ripping up the streets for the development barons who actually dictate urban politics.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I never thought about it before but the movie Speed is basically anti-transit propaganda.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

numerrik posted:

over/under on time time adopting those policies to an American grenfell tower incident?
Eleventy.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Centrist Committee posted:

you clearly don’t rely on public transit,

ok

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Buses are trains with only one or two cars and, much like in transport tycoon, should be used primarily for last mile connections

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Train chat is derailing the thread.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

indigi posted:

sorry you live or work in some barren wasteland. every major city has bus routes that are well planned and run and occasionally faster than rail.

cool my city is on the list of top 40 biggest cities in the US

so are 'major' cities only what, top 20? top 10? top 2?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Busses can be great but like anything else they require spending, planning, and infrastructure. A rapid transit corridor for busses does a much better job than a train does of responding to variable demand among decentralized end points, for example.

If your busses are poo poo, it means that your community's decision makers are refusing to do the things necessary to make the busses not poo poo.

:thermidor:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Busses can be great but like anything else they require spending, planning, and infrastructure. A rapid transit corridor for busses does a much better job than a train does of responding to variable demand among decentralized end points, for example.

If your busses are poo poo, it means that your community's decision makers are refusing to do the things necessary to make the busses not poo poo.

:thermidor:

yah busses own

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tunicate posted:

cool my city is on the list of top 40 biggest cities in the US

Well there's your problem.

Buses rule.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://twitter.com/SJ_Bard/status/1415282451832836096?s=20

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Train chat is derailing the thread.

train chat is the highest, purest form of leftism

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

numerrik posted:

didn't you guys already have that thing in Florida last week? close enough

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
https://twitter.com/Glock_Topickz/status/1415437308246036482

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/qiaochuyuan/status/1415771873900568576?s=21

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

what the gently caress is wrong with you that you feel the need to post this on Twitter

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

look, sometimes you have a real tough time, come to some really depressing revelations about yourself, and you want to confide in 9,000 of your closest friends about how your parents' money left you emotionally stunted

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Magnificent Adult Baby

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you that you feel the need to post this on Twitter

do I have a treat for you

https://twitter.com/michaelaokla/status/1416118039884406784?s=21

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

d**

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/qiaochuyuan/status/1416158471351767042?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU