Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jestery posted:

I just remembered the episode where homer is trying to fake his death by driving the family car , down a cliff into the ocean

But he bails out , rolls in a neat semi circle.and back into the driver's seat

Is this a fever dream or can anyone point me to the episode?

https://youtu.be/wBl6M_WgwnI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

That was one of those episodes like Dish Upon a Star where I noticed the tone and plot was really off and confusing compared to golden age writing. It felt like a non-episode.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Now I'm confused, because I could swear that there's also a bit where Homer drives the car off the railroad tracks, only for a second train to speed across immediately after. Was that a fever dream?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Now I'm confused, because I could swear that there's also a bit where Homer drives the car off the railroad tracks, only for a second train to speed across immediately after. Was that a fever dream?

No, that was Moe's original plan. But Homer fell asleep watching a movie. He sped to the tracks, but just missed the train. The cliff was Homer's improvisation.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
No, I get all that. I mean that after Homer says "I gotta find another way to wreck Moe's car," he drives away and another train zooms across the tracks he were just on, more than capable of wrecking any car that had been abandoned there.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

No, I get all that. I mean that after Homer says "I gotta find another way to wreck Moe's car," he drives away and another train zooms across the tracks he were just on, more than capable of wrecking any car that had been abandoned there.

The only "Homer tries to commit fraud, moves, and something else hits where he was standing" was him trying to commit worker's comp fraud.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ah yeah, that's probably it.

It's a good gag.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

No that sounds like you're conflating this scene with "the old Union Pacific doesn't come by here much anymore"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There's a country in Europe called Black Mountain. The people who live there call it "Black Mountain" in their language. Americans and other English speakers call it "Black Mountain" but in Italian.

I just feel like certain posters in this thread would have such a very hard time with this.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There's a country in Europe called Black Mountain. The people who live there call it "Black Mountain" in their language. Americans and other English speakers call it "Black Mountain" but in Italian.

I just feel like certain posters in this thread would have such a very hard time with this.

Venetian ain't Italian, buddy.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Are you thinking of this scene from Kill the Alligator and Run?

https://i.imgur.com/EXNNCmK.gifv

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

lol Perfection

How on-brand is it for a goon to try to explain to the masses in a Simpsons thread about something only to get the crux of it wrong

Comicsplaining?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

SpacePig posted:

The only "Homer tries to commit fraud, moves, and something else hits where he was standing" was him trying to commit worker's comp fraud.

King-Size Homer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6YAPK0MuLw

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Deeters posted:

Everyone has their own pick, but this is the episode that killed the simpsons for me.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Everyone has their own pick, but this is the episode that killed the simpsons for me.

Hey, y'all killed The Simpsons with this episode!

... I like that

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't remember which thoh it was, but the one with the dolphins was when I realized the show was bad.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Deeters posted:

I unironically love how blatant that cheat is

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Deeters posted:

When the car lands it very clearly hits road but then when the second train comes along it's suddenly on train tracks. What, are we supposed to believe this is some kind of magic train?

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
The train tracks change from being on ballast with sleepers to level crossings randomly between every different shot, too. It has ruined my suspension of disbelief.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A little consistency of place goes a long way. People forgive and laugh about the big ones as long as you pay attention to the little ones.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
There was also the time Homer did want to kill himself and carried a big rock to a bridge only to find an identical rock sitting there.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Story of my life.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

wait till you hear about vermont

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't remember which thoh it was, but the one with the dolphins was when I realized the show was bad.

The Halloween episode?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yes the tree house of horror with the dolphins.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Charles Ford posted:

The train tracks change from being on ballast with sleepers to level crossings randomly between every different shot, too. It has ruined my suspension of disbelief.

Those drat wizards.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Same thing, but CandyBoys

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One of the early Simpsons comics had a Doom riff starring a Homer-alike. (made by the three nerds living in the Simpsons' garage)

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
And of course there was Apoom

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Homer, you've got it set on horror!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The joke explanations are following me everywhere.

https://twitter.com/ronnyt/status/1416342485966770177?s=20

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lobok posted:

i was always a fan of the jazz hole and the springfield heights institute of technology

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Lobok posted:

Welp, I was today years old when I got that joke. Needed the hint that it was dirty to put things together.

Edit: Chuck's, that is.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 17, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh my god you people

it's not a joke about ejaculation being a "spring" of "love" or something

it's a joke about how some IUDs, especially early ones, involve metal springs and coils of copper wire

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 17, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sagebrush posted:

Oh my god you people

it's a joke about how some IUDs, especially early ones, involve metal springs and coils of copper wire

Thank you!

Doesn't this thread ever get tired of being wrong all the time?

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sagebrush posted:

Oh my god you people

I tried explaining but if you follow the thread he goes "huh, well I guess there are two explanations! But it's definitely the cum thing".