Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sinh is tedious but Midir is outright bullshit. Midir is the only boss that no matter what build I use, I respect so I can use Pestilent Mist and just play chicken until the fucker dies. That's not saying that Sinh is a good boss fight. DS 1/2/3 have plenty of them and for sure Sinh isn't one.

Making progress on this whip run. Got a +1 Old Whip but the durability is god drat low, I guess upgrading a normal whip can do the trick but this run is gonna need a 3rd weapon as both drain fast as hell even against unarmored targets. Rapier makes sense but... what would be a good backup for whips that isn't the rapier? Aiming for a pure DEX build.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I don't get the Midir hate yet, but maybe I'll learn why on other builds/subsequent fights with him. He seemed pretty powerful but ultimately readable/predictable, at least if you hang out in front/to the sides of his face. I only had trouble in the beginning when I tried to stay under him or at his feet, which he seems to punish aggressively

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Guillermus posted:

Sinh is tedious but Midir is outright bullshit. Midir is the only boss that no matter what build I use, I respect so I can use Pestilent Mist and just play chicken until the fucker dies. That's not saying that Sinh is a good boss fight. DS 1/2/3 have plenty of them and for sure Sinh isn't one.

Making progress on this whip run. Got a +1 Old Whip but the durability is god drat low, I guess upgrading a normal whip can do the trick but this run is gonna need a 3rd weapon as both drain fast as hell even against unarmored targets. Rapier makes sense but... what would be a good backup for whips that isn't the rapier? Aiming for a pure DEX build.

Puzzling Stone Sword

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I like Sinh and Kalameet a lot. I think as far as a quadrupedal beast fights, the Sanctuary Guardian is better mechanically than those two, but they're still cool. Midir is a bit too big for my liking, and ends up being one of those fights you're battling the camera in. He also has a ton of HP so even if you're hitting the head it still doesn't look like you're chipping much off.

As far as Ancient Dragon, I don't know, I just pack a Gyrm Greatshield along and it does most of the work when I'm not poking the dragon's feet. I wish it did like, anything interesting, but it is what it is.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I don't get the Midir hate yet, but maybe I'll learn why on other builds/subsequent fights with him. He seemed pretty powerful but ultimately readable/predictable, at least if you hang out in front/to the sides of his face. I only had trouble in the beginning when I tried to stay under him or at his feet, which he seems to punish aggressively

It's a boss fight against a giant head with a largely superfluous body attached

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh yeah, after recently finding out that the Key to the Embedded functions as a weapon, I'm totally gonna make a Sora character.

Also might roll up a hexer just to play with casting. Are there any guides anyone recommends for hexers or is that something I can probably figure out as I go?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

multijoe posted:

It's a boss fight against a giant head with a largely superfluous body attached

yeah but it's a really awesome superfluous body that looks like it could gently caress everything/everyone up

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It just didn't capture the spirit of fighting a dragon in the same way Kalameet and especially Sinh did, like they could have made him a demon with the same moveset and no one would ever have been able to tell it was a dragon fight

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

oh yeah, after recently finding out that the Key to the Embedded functions as a weapon, I'm totally gonna make a Sora character.

Also might roll up a hexer just to play with casting. Are there any guides anyone recommends for hexers or is that something I can probably figure out as I go?

You can definitely figure it out as you go. Dark orb and dark weapon are powerful, straight forward spells that are available very early and can take you through the whole game. There are some very strong and versatile weapons weapons with innate dark damage too, like the silverblack spear, roaring halberd, crypt blacksword and fume sword. It’s also possible to get way ahead of the power curve very early as a hexer. I don’t remember the exact progression, but it’s something like this:

Basically, rush through Heide’s, kill the dragon rider, and open the path to Huntsman’s Copse. Then pump int/faith to 20/20 ASAP to get the sunset staff from Felkin. Jump down the pit in Majula and kill the crystal lizard at the bottom for two dark night stones, then head to the bastille to infuse your staff and a weapon of your choice with dark. Go meet Straid, pick up your second copy of dark orb and blast your way through everything in the game up to the DLCs.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm gonna try DS2 (gently caress me running) are there any mods necessary to make it run well? IIRC there were some for DS1

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mescal posted:

I'm gonna try DS2 (gently caress me running) are there any mods necessary to make it run well? IIRC there were some for DS1

Nope, dive right in.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mescal posted:

The mod is "raise Adaptability".

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

The mod is "raise Adaptability".

Ok. Let me guess, adaptability is good for... dex builds?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mescal posted:

Adaptability is good for "not dying and hating this game as much as you will without it"

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Mescal posted:

It's the major contributor to Agility which determines how many iframes you get on a roll and how fast you can drink estus among other things.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

I've only beaten each game once at the moment, but when I beat this game, it was as a hexer. I followed a guide, it involved a couple of ascetics to get an extra copy of the ultimate hex ball thing, and then you had two copies of it and everyone just died.

Can't seem to find the guide, though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

raditts posted:

Adaptability is good for "not dying and hating this game as much as you will without it"

Especially coming off any of the other souls games, probably especially DS3.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Got the flexile sentry soul laying around and can get the warped sword as my Old whip/whip backup. Cleared Forest/Heide/Wharf and I'm about to go for the Ruin Sentinels and already have +6 rapier, +6 whip, +2 old whip. I love how I already have a titanite slab. This game lets you get so many weapons upgraded and without the need of grinding endlessly for souls/materials.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

skasion posted:

Sinh is mostly pretty tedious. Good looking fight by DS2 standards but Kalameet is still much better. Other dragons need not apply because they all suck
I went back to watch my video of fighting Sinh in SotFS and I fell into the trap of using the two NPC summons who are great at distracting the boss but make it harder to hit, and do gently caress all for hitting it back, so my attacks did ½ the damage and it was harder to land them. By around the ten minute mark they'd both died, my staff had broken, and my spells had run out, and at the point I eventually died Sinh had ¼ of its health left. Truly monstrous.

It's funny because a couple of summons with Kalameet pretty much trivialises the fight so I appreciate the gag.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Mescal posted:

Adaptability is what increases your Agility stat, and that determines how long you're invincible while rolling. Levels are much more plentiful in DS2, so it's worth investing in raising your Agility to 88 early on--that gets you something roughly equivalent to medium rolling in DS1, I think. You also get Agility from Attunement, but not as quickly as you do from Adaptability.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Djeser posted:

Adaptability is what increases your Agility stat, and that determines how long you're invincible while rolling. Levels are much more plentiful in DS2, so it's worth investing in raising your Agility to 88 early on--that gets you something roughly equivalent to medium rolling in DS1, I think. You also get Agility from Attunement, but not as quickly as you do from Adaptability.

88??

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Agility to 88, not adaptability

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Yes. The first few breakpoints for Agility are at 85 (5 i-frames), 86 (8 i-frames), and 88 (9 i-frames). It usually only takes a couple levels of Adaptability to raise a starting character to 88 Agility, and it almost doubles the amount of time you're invincible while rolling.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Or you can take agility to 111 and roll through every attack in the game (except ancient Dragon fire). Take the Chariot head on and without a single worry.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Ah haha yea it's been so long since I played DS2 I forgot agility wasnt a stat you leveled but something that just went up with adaptability.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Other non-obvious changes to important mechanics for new players include:
-Durability degrades much faster, but is restored at bonfires
-Secret doors are not revealed by attacking but by pressing up against the wall and pressing A/X
-Wooden treasure chests and doors can be destroyed by attacking them. Destroying a chest (always? sometimes? I forget) leaves behind one Rubbish, instead of whatever was inside.
-Dipping yourself in fluids leaves you covered in that fluid for a little while. Not really that important, but it's fun to roll in the snow to ice your character up and watch them slowly thaw.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I ran around forever in the tiny first area trying to find the trees I'm supposed to push over...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Djeser posted:

-Wooden treasure chests and doors can be destroyed by attacking them. Destroying a chest (always? sometimes? I forget) leaves behind one Rubbish, instead of whatever was inside.

Always, but 1) there is never unique loot in wooden chests and 2) all wooden chests in a zone can be respawned with a bonfire ascetic to get whatever was originally inside.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Djeser posted:

-Dipping yourself in fluids leaves you covered in that fluid for a little while. Not really that important, but it's fun to roll in the snow to ice your character up and watch them slowly thaw.

This usually raises fire res, which can be pretty useful.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

After running around ages in Dragon's sanctum I found a bonfire at an open area, but immediately realized that this must not be the only bonfire and had to look up where I missed one (drat switches on walls). The only bossfight I found so far was the "Gank squad" who very quickly overwhelmed me and my two NPC buddies. I reckon there's some good cheese for these three so I'm open for suggestions?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Djeser posted:

Other non-obvious changes to important mechanics for new players include:

-Secret doors are not revealed by attacking but by pressing up against the wall and pressing A/X

Wait, what? I think I've been swearing at idiots for leaving stupid messages about secret doors, but actually...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

TeaJay posted:

After running around ages in Dragon's sanctum I found a bonfire at an open area, but immediately realized that this must not be the only bonfire and had to look up where I missed one (drat switches on walls). The only bossfight I found so far was the "Gank squad" who very quickly overwhelmed me and my two NPC buddies. I reckon there's some good cheese for these three so I'm open for suggestions?
Run in circles a lot

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

TeaJay posted:

Yeah not really. It helps to have a weapon that can launch or pancake NPCs. Mostly just hit and run though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Djeser posted:

Except for a couple of breakable walls that I guess were leftover from earlier builds.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

TeaJay posted:

Basically what Simply Simon said. I found it best to first try and get the archer in a 1-on-1 situation by dropping down to the lower level and having the other two jump down after you, then running up and sprinting to him. Repeat. The two melee dudes will never stop chasing you down so you can only get in a couple of hits per run. I did it solo so I don't know how using the summons changes things but I'd imagine they can keep them busy for you, at least for a while, so it should be a little comfier in that sense.

That's probably my favorite boss in DS2 actually. Frantic and mad in the best possible way.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Elissimpark posted:

Wait, what? I think I've been swearing at idiots for leaving stupid messages about secret doors, but actually...

Yeah, it's the old way that they worked in King's Field games, you rub up against the wall while hitting the action button. There's a number of them in the Lost Bastille, especially around the Ruin Sentinels room and the storage room in the basement (up the ladder past the cage elevators in particular, there's a couple that lead out to the exterior above the blacksmith's place.)

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Elissimpark posted:

Most of the messages about secret doors are still trolling though, in my experience.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sway Grunt posted:

Basically what Simply Simon said. I found it best to first try and get the archer in a 1-on-1 situation by dropping down to the lower level and having the other two jump down after you, then running up and sprinting to him. Repeat. The two melee dudes will never stop chasing you down so you can only get in a couple of hits per run. I did it solo so I don't know how using the summons changes things but I'd imagine they can keep them busy for you, at least for a while, so it should be a little comfier in that sense.

That's probably my favorite boss in DS2 actually. Frantic and mad in the best possible way.
The summons make it worse because the health they increase is much greater than the damage they do, and they stop you being able to parry effectively.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Paracelsus posted:

Except for a couple of breakable walls that I guess were leftover from earlier builds.

My guess is they planned to have a lot more gimmicks like that, where you could bust open walls with explosives or trick enemies into opening locked doors, but it was another victim of the base game being rushed. Most of those super clever things are in the initial circuit around the Forest of the Fallen Giants and up through the Lost Bastille.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Probably gonna jump back in and do a longsword run because I think longsword style weapons are my favorite weapons in all the souls games.