Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Dad's expression makes this perfect. :smug:

"Yep, gets it from me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Overall the show is much better imo. Less of Huey’s tedious letter-writing/typing lists and overall doomer negativity, a lot more fun explorations of Black culture (especially wrt all the anime/Asian cinema stuff) and politics; Uncle Ruckus is absolutely one of the best Boondocks characters but completely unsuited to a three panel medium. The thing that the strip handles better than the books is Jazmine’s identity crises. The show tends towards more anime-style BIG SCENES with CONFLICTS, but the comic strip medium lends itself better to J’s particular broodiness.

That said, those first few months the strip was being posted here really made me realize that Aaron McGruder’s work did a whole lot to influence my politics by indoctrinating my 8- or 9-year old mind with Panther and anti-capitalist rhetoric.

How much involvement did McGruder have with the cartoon? Is it like Dilbert where the show was good BECAUSE the creator had very little to do with it or is it more like the first Garfield cartoon where the creator had direct involvement with it but still wound up producing a higher quality product regardless?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Uncle Ruckus is absolutely one of the best Boondocks characters but completely unsuited to a three panel medium.

See also: Stinkmeaner

The comic and the show are pretty different all around; the strip was very locked in to topicality and (syndication-friendly) radicalism, the show was more generalized in its take on mid/late-00's Black culture and reveled in its ability to say things that would not fly on the newspaper page (Can't end a comic strip with Snoop Dogg yelling "Eat a bag of baby dicks, motherfucker!" without some letters to the editor)

Larryb posted:

How much involvement did McGruder have with the cartoon? Is it like Dilbert where the show was good BECAUSE the creator had very little to do with it or is it more like the first Garfield cartoon where the creator had direct involvement with it but still wound up producing a higher quality product regardless?

The strip ended because McGruder was too heavily involved in the show's production; he went on hiatus from the comic in 2006 to work on the show and it never resumed. He didn't work on the fourth and final season, though, which received a pretty tepid response. McGruder's back on board for the revival that's coming next year to HBO Max.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 17, 2021

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, would you say the Boondocks cartoon is better, worse, or about on par with the strip itself?

Personally I think the tones are too radically different to be sensibly compared. The comic strip is about a precocious kid who mostly lives in the real world, and the generally low-stakes conflicts reflect that. The cartoon is much more fantastically oriented, with anime style fight scenes and more outrageous plotting.

For me the sweet spot is when the dynamic action of the cartoon is used in the service of low stakes plotting as was common in the comic. The episode where grandpa starts doing weed, for example, would feel right at home in print, but benefits from being animated in that it can maintain consistent pacing.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Another night without the full compliment, but let's get something on the board.

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (December 1, 1933)

Peanuts (July 19, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 15, 1938)

Out Our Way (January 7-9, 1937)

Dok's "Worst Wakeup Call EVER" Duck (September 9, 1913)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 17, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Red Delicious I reckon. A bullshit apple.

Gotta appreciate a food that lies to you from the start.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
In fairness, Red Delicious apples used to have extremely good flavor. Which then lead it to be cultivated for longevity and shelf appeal, turning it into the mealy garbage of today.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay I know that Tom Baituk writes stupid poo poo nobody cares about but why are we still on this goddamn mulch thing

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

No Rae the Doe on weekends!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Red Delicious I reckon. A bullshit apple.
Worst damned apple ever.

B Kliban

My favorite "sheer poetry."

Looks like we're nearing the end of Kliban, I'll keep updating with what's left.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Why isn't it 'Game G'?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Blah blah blah, something something horror that creeps in the night, and we now return to the Minimum Security Retrospective...

2007: May 21-25

2010: June 21-25

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: Mike gives an avatar-worthy panel there, or Where's Susan B. Anthony when you need her?, or Rusty has a strict no-smoking policy

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Technowolf posted:

Wouldn't he be "Game P"?

Shouldn't Neil Gaiman be "Game G"? After all, JRR Tolkein was "Game T" not "Game J".

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
great RP of the comics kingdom comments everyone

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

maltesh posted:

Thomas is the perpetual trapeze guy, right? So is he swimming upside-down for the heck of it, or is he hanging from an underwater trapeze by the fish-tail he was given when he got the job?

Yes.

Trapeze Guy and his son have been doing their Character Has Characteristic even in space, them keeping it up even in the ocean makes sense in a Holbrooksian way.

Johnny Walker posted:

Why isn't it 'Game G'?

Sound out "Kneel. Game N" slowly in your head.

(It's Neil Gaiman) :ssh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: instinct (July 15-21, 2002)

Just going to say that the "people are losing their instinct because they've come into contact with a human" plot point will return later on. (And it really won't make sense even then.)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Bobbins

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (July 30, 1918)

Everett True’s Vote or Die (September 9, 1918)

Gay and Her Gang (September 4, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (February 5, 1936)

Mopsy (April 6, 1937)

Up Front (May 18, 1944)

Dark Laughter (September 6, 1947)

Those Were the Days (May 20, 1953)

Wee Pals (October 26, 1965)

Dogbert February 21, 1966

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

amigolupus posted:

Sound out "Kneel. Game N" slowly in your head.

(It's Neil Gaiman) :ssh:

Everybody got it, but the set-up to a pun should also be comprehensible.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Slammy posted:

And He Did! (July 30, 1918)

Smoke weeheed everyday

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (November 1, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (November 1, 1999)

Garfield Classic (November 1, 1989)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "126 - Jucika And The Rose"

"127 - Jucika Exchanges Souvenirs" NSFW Nudity

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

Speed freak.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

Speed freak.

Bushmiller draws the goofiest animals sometimes

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 14, 1946)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Karen takes over?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
That's what it says! But Foster must have changed his mind, as the character in question is named Katwin.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (March 18, 1995)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (March 18, 1995)

Twenty years? Wait, did we just get a massive timeskip? :confused:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I kind of want a giant hand chair now.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

ahahahahahaha I am very pleased with this outcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Despite being pretty pro-worker and anti-corporate, I have a bad feeling that this is leading to Stuart being right and Marla being wrong. Hope I'm mistaken, because I'd love to see mohawk guy end up being a great worker just to spite Stuart.