Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Why not just get a pack animal to carry the heavy stuff for you? Slows you down too much, still?

Edit: Would a dog even slow you down at all? Thats 70 more pounds of supplies.

That's true; it would be a good idea to bring a pack animal when I raid villages/encampments. I'd forgotten about them!

Probably wouldn't work so well against roving bands though, since I'll have to leash them beforehand. (even with a dog...I wouldn't want to see him/her be ripped to shreds by a group of angry njerps :ohdear:) Good idea though, for hauling away my piles of loot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I picked up Project Zomboid in the Steam sale and have sunk about ten hours into it; I'm completely hooked! It looks like it's been in early access for several years but the current beta, 41, has a lot of depth along with full Steam workshop support.

Despite being primarily a horror game (due to the zombie apocalypse), the survival mechanics are well thought out and decently complex without being too tedious. The pace of the game is refreshingly slow compared to 7 Days to Die and really rewards planning ahead. Managing your inventory and encumbrance is key, even if you have a vehicle, otherwise you can weigh yourself down (putting yourself at risk of zombies) and even injure yourself over time.

The standard difficulty settings are pretty brutal. Zombies can quickly overwhelm you even though by default they shamble at just over walking speed. Managing conspicuousness by staying out of line of sight and trying to reduce noise while looting results in great stealth gameplay (although at the moment clothing has no impact on noise so you can sneak around in heavy gear just fine). I love how noise is implemented; house and car alarms can ruin your plans, and firearms have to be used as a last resort given that they'll attract all the zombies in the area!

The sandbox mode gives you granular control over every aspect of difficulty. I had a lot more fun trying to learn the game after turning zombie respawns off and the overall population down (based on the "Builder" difficulty preset). Scavenging, crafting and setting up safehouses are all very satisfying and the variety of vehicle types mean truly nomadic gameplay is possible (and even preferable during [event spoilers] the helicopter event).

Unfortunately there is limited support for modern, high resolution monitors. You can resize the text but all the inventory and mood icons are tiny onscreen. There are a couple of workarounds but they're not great. There are also relatively few keyboard binding options meaning a lot of clicking to do just about anything. Melee combat also feels a bit floaty and awkward but I guess that could be intended.

Overall, a strong recommendation for survival nerds who don't mind a bit of spookiness in their games, and particularly if you're a pack-rat, base-building hoarder in RPGs. I've not had this much fun since Valheim!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Glad to hear you're enjoying it! I've had much the same experience with Zomboid as you, whenever I've played it. It's also great with a friend.

One thing to note, is that you can also customise the zombies a fair bit, prior to starting your game. e.g. you can make it so that they're all slow walkers like in old zombie movies, or a mix of fast+slow or all fast/runners. You can also enable/disable the chance of being infected after a bite, too. So it's quite good, with all the options handed to you.

In other news, I started my URW game - the scenario was the 'being attacked by robbers' one. I actually started with a broadsword, which was PERFECT for me, as I planned on eventually getting one!

So yeah, four robbers game out at me, I tossed a knife into the neck of one, then fought the other three (one or two at a time - thankfully never all three at once) and got lucky with some risky slashes and stabs at their faces. So now I'm left with a bunch of crap from their bodies to trade, and a handful of fresh cuts. Onward to Njerpez territory! :D

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Hmm... maybe I should try that start for my 3.70 game, and not the typical hunt gone wrong. I've been meaning to learn how to fight, and I imagine by the time I manage to survive I'll have a decent grasp on it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, it's a pretty good crash-course! I love the fighting system in URW, despite the obvious hazards. (Plus I'm never sure if dodging is better than blocking, or vice versa) I've never been game enough to try the 'escaped slave' start though!
The robber one is quite tricky though I think - I feel I was majorly lucky with my knife-toss at the start.

Also, what's the best way of making bandages? You can tear them off old cloaks etc that you don't want, right? (I only had wool available to me last night, when I was playing. I reckon you can rip up nettle/linen clothes though, if I'm not mistaken) Since yeah, I definitely need to start thinking about bandages... I cleaned my cuts, but after that fantastic start the last thing I want to do is die of an infection :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty good crash-course! I love the fighting system in URW, despite the obvious hazards. (Plus I'm never sure if dodging is better than blocking, or vice versa) I've never been game enough to try the 'escaped slave' start though!
The robber one is quite tricky though I think - I feel I was majorly lucky with my knife-toss at the start.

Also, what's the best way of making bandages? You can tear them off old cloaks etc that you don't want, right? (I only had wool available to me last night, when I was playing. I reckon you can rip up nettle/linen clothes though, if I'm not mistaken) Since yeah, I definitely need to start thinking about bandages... I cleaned my cuts, but after that fantastic start the last thing I want to do is die of an infection :v:

I also love the combat system because you're never really sure if you're doing the right thing. About blocking vs dodging, well dodging is basically entirely skill-based (so if you're lightly armored/unencumbered and agile you can get up to 80-90% which is awesome and in that case you should dodge forever) while blocking also depends on weapons stats: some weapons have good inherent defense values (shields, spears and swords in roughly that order and depending on specific weapon type, see https://www.unrealworld.fi/wiki/index.php?title=Weapons for slightly more details) and if you're also skilled in that type of weapon you'll have an easier time blocking than trying to dodge with a middling-low dodge skill. It also depends on what weapons you're against, 2 knives will basically cancel each other out, attacking someone armed with sword and shield with a knife won't end well, while attacking a knife wielder with a battlesword will probably end awesomely for you.

Yeah I make all my bandages by tearing up clothes, most often clothes that I snatched off the still warm, but definitely dead, body of my enemies :black101: make sure to also always carry on you some heather flowers or burdock leaves to clean wounds, and something to dress wounds that can stop bleeding like golden rod, milkweed or yarrow - the last two have both bleeding stop and anti-inflammatory effects, and using these herbs makes a HUGE difference in recovery times and not making wounds get worse if you botch the healing attempt. Some herblore, at least enough to recognize a few plants with healing properties, is a must-have as a dedicated warrior if you don't want to spend forever healing "naturally"

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 7, 2021

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

piano chimp posted:

I picked up Project Zomboid in the Steam sale and have sunk about ten hours into it; I'm completely hooked! It looks like it's been in early access for several years but the current beta, 41, has a lot of depth along with full Steam workshop support.

Project Zomboid rules, and a few years is a bit of an understatement. I was a teenager when you could buy it from their website directly. The core gameplay, look, and feel hasn't actually changed much in that time beyond the added features and tweaks, which imo goes to show how solid the loop they were rolling with actually is.

I think I want to try URW again, though I still tend to struggle massively getting over the learning curve of tile-based or ASCII games in general. Can anyone recommend a decent midgame and endgame goal that might be fitting for a new player? I think having something in mind from the start will help push me through it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

1. Survive
2. Acquire a proper set of axe
3. Build a homestead.
4. Prepare for winter
5. Survive Winter

I usually get bored and stop around 4. :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TorakFade posted:

I also love the combat system because you're never really sure if you're doing the right thing. About blocking vs dodging, well dodging is basically entirely skill-based (so if you're lightly armored/unencumbered and agile you can get up to 80-90% which is awesome and in that case you should dodge forever) while blocking also depends on weapons stats: some weapons have good inherent defense values (shields, spears and swords in roughly that order and depending on specific weapon type, see https://www.unrealworld.fi/wiki/index.php?title=Weapons for slightly more details) and if you're also skilled in that type of weapon you'll have an easier time blocking than trying to dodge with a middling-low dodge skill. It also depends on what weapons you're against, 2 knives will basically cancel each other out, attacking someone armed with sword and shield with a knife won't end well, while attacking a knife wielder with a battlesword will probably end awesomely for you.

Yeah I make all my bandages by tearing up clothes, most often clothes that I snatched off the still warm, but definitely dead, body of my enemies :black101: make sure to also always carry on you some heather flowers or burdock leaves to clean wounds, and something to dress wounds that can stop bleeding like golden rod, milkweed or yarrow - the last two have both bleeding stop and anti-inflammatory effects, and using these herbs makes a HUGE difference in recovery times and not making wounds get worse if you botch the healing attempt. Some herblore, at least enough to recognize a few plants with healing properties, is a must-have as a dedicated warrior if you don't want to spend forever healing "naturally"

OK, that's good - at least my thought processes on dodging/blocking seems to be accurate. I always try and keep dodge up, so I guess I'll keep going for that, while I'm without a shield. Especially since I assume blocking a lot with my beloved broadsword will slowly whittle away at its condition, right?

Also, to be honest I've never really bothered with herblore. I think the most I've done is put milkweed onto a bad, bleeding cut once.
I suspect I should probably change my attitude towards it though, judging from what you've said! My character's herblore is quite low (like, 15-20% maybe? Going by memory here) so will I know enough to be able to identify some of the more basic/common plants? Like milkweed was quite common near the streams my last character lived by, from memory.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

1. Survive
2. Acquire a proper set of axe
3. Build a homestead.
4. Prepare for winter
5. Survive Winter

I usually get bored and stop around 4. :v:

Oi! You forgot step 2b - obtaining a full set of knives! <:mad:> (Probably including a fine knife and a fine broad knife, if possible)

But regarding mid- and long-term goals, to provide an example and hopefully give you some ideas, right now my midterm goal is to get enough furs to cover a small kota, plus acquire all the armour and tools I'll need for my time out in the eastern frontier. (Probably mostly off Njerps and maybe a couple of traded-for items, like a metal shovel.)

After that, I plan to head east a bit, set up my kota, make a cellar and some pit traps, etc. and start scouting out the region for Njerp hunters and villages. Then when I'm confident of my skills and equipment (after killing plenty of roving njerps, mostly) I'll sneak near a njerp village, dig+cover a few pit traps assuming it's still warm enough to dig, then go into the village and pick off a couple, then run back behind my traps and keep on shooting, until one or two fall into the pits. Then just hack and slash, praying that I make it through alive! (I mean hey, I've done it once before without the concealed pit traps. But that was far too close, for my liking)

...Then once I've taken out the nearer villages, I'll learn how to ski! Then, assuming I live and play for long enough for winter to pass, I'll move my base camp further east, to see if I can continue my purging of the cannibals

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Major Isoor posted:

OK, that's good - at least my thought processes on dodging/blocking seems to be accurate. I always try and keep dodge up, so I guess I'll keep going for that, while I'm without a shield. Especially since I assume blocking a lot with my beloved broadsword will slowly whittle away at its condition, right?

Also, to be honest I've never really bothered with herblore. I think the most I've done is put milkweed onto a bad, bleeding cut once.
I suspect I should probably change my attitude towards it though, judging from what you've said! My character's herblore is quite low (like, 15-20% maybe? Going by memory here) so will I know enough to be able to identify some of the more basic/common plants? Like milkweed was quite common near the streams my last character lived by, from memory.

Herblore is .. finicky. Some tribes naturally know more about the plants that are typical to their area - so for example a Kaumo dude would know the herbs growing in Kaumo land even with low herblore, while he wouldn't recognize anything in Driik land - and afaik there's no big list or database of who knows what. I strive to have at least decent herblore (30%+) on every character if possible, if only because I like picking flowers and stuff and make herbal teas. They're great to unwind and relax after a long day of chopping off Njerpez limbs :black101:

Just to give an example, I once didn't have enough herbs to treat 2 wounds that were almost the same (medium cuts to the torso), so I went for one with and one without herbs; of course there's the luck of the draw in the actual healing-skill attempt, but over time it should even out and in my case, it took 4 days to heal with herbs vs 6 days to heal without. And that's for your normal everyday wounds, if you have a bleeding cut a few milkweed leaves can definitely be the difference between life and death :ohdear:

.... God I haven't played URW in a while but I still love it. Have to try the new patch now!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, how often should you be applying milkweed? And does cleaning the wound (as in, regularly - after applying the herbs) remove the benefits of herbs? Since in the past I would clean the wound, apply milkweed and then bandage it. Then probably the next day I'll just clean the wound and bandage, then depending on severity I'll either apply another milkweed or just wrap it up again. Should I be doing things differently?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Major Isoor posted:

After that, I plan to head east a bit, set up my kota, make a cellar and some pit traps, etc. and start scouting out the region for Njerp hunters and villages. Then when I'm confident of my skills and equipment (after killing plenty of roving njerps, mostly) I'll sneak near a njerp village, dig+cover a few pit traps assuming it's still warm enough to dig, then go into the village and pick off a couple, then run back behind my traps and keep on shooting, until one or two fall into the pits. Then just hack and slash, praying that I make it through alive! (I mean hey, I've done it once before without the concealed pit traps. But that was far too close, for my liking)

yeah i'm very fond of the stories that presumably get spread

"for days, hunters reported sounds of digging. something was out there. something smart. something with plans"

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Major Isoor posted:

So, how often should you be applying milkweed? And does cleaning the wound (as in, regularly - after applying the herbs) remove the benefits of herbs? Since in the past I would clean the wound, apply milkweed and then bandage it. Then probably the next day I'll just clean the wound and bandage, then depending on severity I'll either apply another milkweed or just wrap it up again. Should I be doing things differently?

well, the ideal scenario is you having enough to reapply it at every attempt: clean with heather, dress with milkweed - for sure use milkweed whenever your wounds are/were bleeding, if you can. Flowers and leaves aren't too heavy to carry around (most of the time you'll be hurt away from your base so having 20 pounds of heather flowers there isn't very useful unless you can limp back), and if you stock up when they're in season you will have more than enough anyway :) apparently flowers and leaves never go bad, I've kept them in a separate cellar for 3 full seasons without any ill effects while some smoked meat spoiled in this timeframe

e: I recovered a couple ancient stories from my URW thread,

TorakFade posted:

In other news I am an idiot because I thought the Steam screenshot key was F10 and so I failed to take screens of my latest endeavour: taking the fight back to the Njerpez to avenge all newbies slain by them. I started off in Kaumo land with a big burly guy expert in axes and bows. A couple weeks to gather up some weapons and food, and off I went to Njerpez land!

I entered the first village I found wielding a fine woodsman's axe and attacked a Njerpez maiden (boy she must've been surprised by the giant Kaumo man rushing at her with an axe - what goes around comes around, you assholes). She took a blow and fled, but the village was alerted so I found a defensible position between a few trees where only 3 people at once could attack, and let them come to me.

The first one to arrive was a Njerpez warrior. I swung wildly at him and slashed him in the thorax, he fell down and couldn't do much after that. A housewife came along and started trying to kick me, I hit her in the eye and in the neck making her bleed profusely from both wounds but she kept coming, kudos to her. Eventually she bled off and collapsed. When a craftsman approached I swiftly slashed his legs from under him, then fended off 3 of the bastards at once, counterstriking furiously and chopping their limbs off.

After killing at least 4 of them and maiming another couple, sadly I was very fatigued and a bit injured so things started going badly. A stupid kid circled around and attacked me from the back, and another maiden took the place of one of her injured comrades and started skillfully attacking me with a spear. I couldn't counterstrike effectively, having a combined -25% penalty from wounds and fatigue, so after a while she managed to hit me in the groin, that did barely scratch my enormous cojones but caused me to faint and get kicked to death by the damned kid.

I have bathed in Njerpez blood, heard the death cries of their women, stood atop a pile of their mangled corpses and died a glorious death. :black101:

(note for next time: acquire more armour and a dog before going to fight a whole village at once)

TorakFade posted:

On a slightly darker note, as said I was bored out of my mind with my old uber exploity character. So I decided to rid the world of the Koivula race, ethnic cleansing at its finest (yes if you clear out villages the "cultural region" will disappear from the map and go back to no man's land).

Having a masterwork battlesword, 90% sword skill and full green/dark green armor against everything helps a lot in that regard; I already slaughtered 7 villages, the poor fuckers don't stand a chance coming at me with handaxes, knives and rocks as long as I stay inside a building where only 2-3 people can attack me at the same time (and away from windows, the single wound I received was from an arrow shot at me through one). The battlesword loving rocks, 1 hit in 3 causes bleeding wounds when it doesn't cut limbs in half straight away. Another 30 villages or so to go and there shall be no more Koivulaiset in my UnReal World.

Here are a few pics of the insanity:

:stonk:

:black101:

All hail the mighty, if a bit unhinged, Garthal Kaumolainen the terrible

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 8, 2021

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hah, I remember reading your original "ethnic cleansing" post ages ago, actually! :D

Also, what?! Herbs don't go bad? Urgh! Well at least I know now. I'll be collecting all of them and putting them in a pile I guess. I always assumed they'd only be good for a little while, but oh well!

Also also, hmm... your 'note to self' in your quote reminded me about dogs. Maybe, when I set up my trap line near a Njerp village to fight behind, I'll position it so that a tree (with a leashed dog) is behind me, so Njerps need to hazard the wrath of my hound, if they want to get behind me.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Sab Sabbington posted:

Project Zomboid rules, and a few years is a bit of an understatement. I was a teenager when you could buy it from their website directly. The core gameplay, look, and feel hasn't actually changed much in that time beyond the added features and tweaks, which imo goes to show how solid the loop they were rolling with actually is.

Me and my friends played Zomboid some years ago and after that we started waiting for a multiplayer option on the latest build. I guess we're still waiting on that? I really liked the attention to detail, especially with looting stuff and fixing cars, but we never made it far enough to start planting stuff or use generators etc.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Project Zomboid is a generational game.

Not in game, mind, generations happen while it gets built yet somehow it’s still good.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Major Isoor posted:

Also also, hmm... your 'note to self' in your quote reminded me about dogs. Maybe, when I set up my trap line near a Njerp village to fight behind, I'll position it so that a tree (with a leashed dog) is behind me, so Njerps need to hazard the wrath of my hound, if they want to get behind me.

That's some very good thinking actually! I'd also take a bull or two, they can carry a lot of stuff (raiding Njerp villages yields TONS of weapons and armor) and while not as straight-up good at combat as a dog, they can take a huge amount of damage and dish out some too

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Major Isoor posted:

milk weed every day

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
are there any mods that add uhhh more of a PvE/RPG endgame content to Conan Exiles? either for siptah or exiled lands?
just got through another purge and killed em all handily. now im like... ok whats the point of doing things

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I like conan exiles enough to play it for basically 10 days straight (like 14-hour days) but at least on Isles of Siptah, the PvE content really dries up just as things should be getting interesting in the endgame. i've got a solid base, i've got some solid thralls, its time to kill poo poo. But since i already have the 2nd-best tier of everything, nothing is a challenge, and there aren't more bigger fights to take on.

So my question is: is there any other game you'd recommend that has a combination of survival, base-building, resource collecting, and eventually "team" building that eventually blossoms into a proper endgame??

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I don't have an answer for you but I bought Isle of Siptah and immediately got sick of trying to gather materials to build a home so I enabled cheat mode to just get a house built and now just knowing that the option is there has completely ruined the experience for me lol. I had a great time with the base game playing with a friend of mine but solo is not doing it for me.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I might actually get to the winter for the first time in Project Zomboid, either I've abandoned the game due to relative safety/difficulty or died before then. My major mod is Long Term Survival, so I've been building a vast store of dried meat/fruit/veggies/herbs and foraged nuts and honeycomb. Once true winter hits and I can't forage food stuff any more, I'll get to focusing on the non-food replenishment of stuff, namely getting my propane replacement up and going.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ahhh, an excellent place to put down my very first shelter:

I shall name this place Dick's Landing (though the default "Beating Mountain" is not half bad I must say)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I still know absolutely nothing about effectively playing URW but that's almost the exact same style of spot that I put down my first camp.

Fishing is good and more reliable than trapping imo?

Edit: also your name is Porko and you are Sweating A Lot, fyi.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Drone posted:

I still know absolutely nothing about effectively playing URW but that's almost the exact same style of spot that I put down my first camp.

Fishing is good and more reliable than trapping imo?

I made a new character for the latest beta and fishing now needs bait, I didn't catch anything without it and a 56% or so fishing skill so it's not a good last resort method of survival anymore which is pretty cool. I think I want to focus on trapping on this character, I never managed to make a proper trap fence and having it work out well!

Drone posted:

Edit: also your name is Porko and you are Sweating A Lot, fyi.

:hmmyes:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
https://www.vintagestory.at/blog.html/news/the-homesteading-update-v1150-r287/

New vintage story update out, it's mostly cosmetic and food focused.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

30.5 Days posted:

https://www.vintagestory.at/blog.html/news/the-homesteading-update-v1150-r287/

New vintage story update out, it's mostly cosmetic and food focused.
It's always weird to me when games like this go for half-and-half when it comes to fantasy elements. You have "temporal storms", the players are all non-human creatures, and these strange monsters roam the lands. But also, the trees are all very specific real species of trees, like the larch and the bald cypress. It feels like a strange midpoint aesthetically, but maybe I'm just weird about it.

Either way, looks like some great new decoration options, and games like this I always want more decor.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but there's a game called Arid which is a survival game set in the desert. It's free on Steam, so not a big investment if it sucks :v: I downloaded it but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vintage Story seems to work great on a Mac, even though it's not advertised it does it includes a, "Mac compatibility included" thing in the System Requirements page.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

All the talk of unreal world I tried the free version 3.62. I'm not understanding tracking. Even when I randomly run into an animal and try to follow it I can't find any tracks. I saw a tip about standing on mountains to see animals on the world map and tried that. I was able to run into a few that way but still no tracks after it runs away.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
You use tracking from the world map, and if it succeeds it'll tell you which direction to go to follow the tracks. Eventually it'll lead you to the tile with the animal, and you'll get that "you spot a x" prompt and it'll switch you to the zoomed in local map.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Oh man, everything in this pic is perfect! A sweaty Porko at Dick's Landing, straddling Beating Mountain? Amazing :D

Also, speaking of URW - has anyone made any mods that allow you to cut furs/leather in half? Since I'd love to do that with an elk fur, so that I can use it for multiple sections of kota, rather than using everything other than 7lbs of it on pants and hats, then using what's left on a kota panel

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I'm playing the new UrW beta now as well. I started an Owl Tribe hunter-gatherer character in the spring in the far north with the "hurt, helpless, and afraid" start scenario just to see if I could pull it off. It's been fun clawing my way up from nothing. I started out injured with nothing more than a small knife and the clothes on my back.

I like that fishing is more difficult now. It's hard to sustain yourself with just a fishing rod now. With every previous character I would try to get a fishing rod ASAP and then it would be easy mode, but this time was different. The first thing I did was drag myself to the nearest village, made some torches and traded them for yarn, then made my own fishing rod with a wooden hook. I headed to the north coast, got lucky and caught a few small fish, enough to use as bait to catch more fish and keep me from starving to death right away, along with buying me time to heal some of the injuries, but eventually the fish dried up. My fishing skill was not terrible, but not good either. Owl Tribesmen are no fishermen, and with no bait, I went days on end catching nothing and starvation set in. I gave up and headed inland, starved for a few more days until my weak, desperate character managed to run down a reindeer in an open bog and beat it to death. My life was saved.

Now it's a few months later and I'm doing well, surviving almost entirely on active hunting and gathering. I have a dog and my own reindeer, a decent supply of smoked and salted meat, a fine longbow and some good tools, although winter is about to set in. It seems most people build a cabin as soon as they can when they play UrW, but I'm gonna try to not build one, at least for a long time. I'm gonna try being more of a nomadic hunter-gatherer. I think it's too late to build a cabin before winter anyway. I'm gonna try to build a kota though, and maybe get a second reindeer to help carry furs. This winter should be interesting.

VegasGoat posted:

All the talk of unreal world I tried the free version 3.62. I'm not understanding tracking. Even when I randomly run into an animal and try to follow it I can't find any tracks. I saw a tip about standing on mountains to see animals on the world map and tried that. I was able to run into a few that way but still no tracks after it runs away.

What's your tracking skill? I think tracking can also depend on ground conditions and what type of ground you're moving through. Sometimes tracks are easy to see and sometimes not so much. Sometimes I really have to strain my eyes to see the little footprint graphics, and sometimes if you hit X and look at the ground in front of you, your character will spot more tracks that you didn't see before. Every track you find you will want to look at to tell how fresh they are and what direction they are heading, and sometimes there are large gaps in the trail and you might have to spend extra time walking around trying to re-acquire the trail. There are a lot more animals in the world than you can see on the wilderness map, and sometimes you can run into trails by accident just by walking around zoomed in. With good tracking skill you can sometimes track down an animal even days after it had moved through the area.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Finally got around to grabbing Zomboid.

I... really don't like it? I don't like how you clear a house out, go outside to grab your stuff and come back in to a house full of zombies standing around and in the closets and stuff as if you never even visited. I don't like how much it (seems to) rely on meta-gamey information in order to succeed, rather than things you can learn within a run. I don't like how difficult it is to figure out how stuff actually works. Like if I select to read a book it just seems like nothing at all happens? Except the sense of not knowing what's going on seems more common than I've felt for other games in the genre. I feel like even if I got the hang of it, I don't think I'd enjoy it much, because aside from the parts I found dumb and frustrating it was just kind of boring. Just makes me want to go back to playing Cataclysm or URW, really.

Which is terrible to say in a way, because I feel like I really like the people who developed it, but yeah, I just don't think its for me.

OTOH I also grabbed Caves of Qud at the same time, admittedly not a survival game of course, but holy poo poo is that game good. Like, in terms of effectively communicating a whole ton of information and letting you know what's going on in a very visually abstract game (only major flaw being that it makes your character green and almost always starts you on grass, which was really goddamn confusing at first, just figuring out where/who I was). Just wish I could build a house or something.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 19, 2021

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Finally got around to grabbing Zomboid.

I haven't had the issue of clearing a house and immediately coming back to it filled with zombies, unless there was a small horde that heard me tromping around I never saw who broke in through a window and then distributed through the house. That said, there is zombie respawn when you've not been in area for x amount of time, which I felt at vanilla settings was too short a time. I want to feel like I can clear a local area a bit, so I changed zombie respawn timing (specifically when the chunk was last seen by a player) to be longer.

Book reading takes a long time and you need to read a book that is at your appropriately skill level. A long time as in, the progress bar above your character needs 3x time to move at any appreciable speed.

But I can also see how someone can bounce off the game - I've honestly bounced off URW after giving it some time, I instead have sunk my teeth into Vintage Story.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

explosivo posted:

As if I didn't have enough poo poo to play right now I saw that Astroneer just updated with some cool new vehicles like a vtol and hoverboard. I never went back to that game after they added the machinery stuff and always meant to but I keep finding other stuff instead.

Astroneer's new hoverboard and vtol are both great but the game has other tricks up its sleeve in the new content update. They populated the worlds with boxes you need to blow up with dynamite (fortunately, dynamite is now commonly found around various wreckages now) and that puts out this thing called an "Exo Chip" which is what is now needed to build the top-tier stuff as well as the new vehicles.

There's a quest system called a "Mission Log" which is what lets you unlock the hoverboard and vtol and while it acts as a mini-tutorial or guided experience on how to get through the game it also offers nice rewards like a few things you can get earlier than you could before, like a free hydrazine thruster for your rocket once you synthesize hydrazine the first time.

There is also a new extremely useful item that is (mostly) only found by either doing missions or blowing up boxes, the "QT-RTG" which is like an RTG except it fits in a small slot and you can have one on your backpack at all times. This lets you use the hoverboard or a drill or a portable oxygenator without running out of power.

The hoverboard is *fast* and the best use I found for it is blasting across long distances you have already explored and put tethers down on the overworld, like from wherever your base is to the nearest surface teleporter. You glide along the tether line to stay powered and oxygenated and it's great.

EDIT: also dynamite doesn't blow up resources. I forget if this was always the case but any resource clusters near a dynamite explosion turn it into a nugget of resources, very thoughtful.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 19, 2021

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Speedball posted:

Astroneer's new hoverboard and vtol are both great but the game has other tricks up its sleeve in the new content update. They populated the worlds with boxes you need to blow up with dynamite (fortunately, dynamite is now commonly found around various wreckages now) and that puts out this thing called an "Exo Chip" which is what is now needed to build the top-tier stuff as well as the new vehicles.

There's a quest system called a "Mission Log" which is what lets you unlock the hoverboard and vtol and while it acts as a mini-tutorial or guided experience on how to get through the game it also offers nice rewards like a few things you can get earlier than you could before, like a free hydrazine thruster for your rocket once you synthesize hydrazine the first time.

There is also a new extremely useful item that is (mostly) only found by either doing missions or blowing up boxes, the "QT-RTG" which is like an RTG except it fits in a small slot and you can have one on your backpack at all times. This lets you use the hoverboard or a drill or a portable oxygenator without running out of power.

The hoverboard is *fast* and the best use I found for it is blasting across long distances you have already explored and put tethers down on the overworld, like from wherever your base is to the nearest surface teleporter. You glide along the tether line to stay powered and oxygenated and it's great.

EDIT: also dynamite doesn't blow up resources. I forget if this was always the case but any resource clusters near a dynamite explosion turn it into a nugget of resources, very thoughtful.

The VTOL with some winches on it is pretty :discourse:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Goddamnit I am going to have to get back into Astroneer. I think I've cleared some space since making that post.. I did get to the point where I noticed the thing with the Exo Chips and realized that will probably fundamentally change the game entirely so I'm curious to check it out.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Vib Rib posted:

It's always weird to me when games like this go for half-and-half when it comes to fantasy elements. You have "temporal storms", the players are all non-human creatures, and these strange monsters roam the lands. But also, the trees are all very specific real species of trees, like the larch and the bald cypress. It feels like a strange midpoint aesthetically, but maybe I'm just weird about it.

Either way, looks like some great new decoration options, and games like this I always want more decor.

I might read a story about magic lumber that has strange fantastical properties like being burl all the way through or being totally insect resistant without treating, but I doubt most people would, and absent the trees being actually meaningfully different I guess the difference is do you call your oak trees oak trees or do you call them elfwood

also the temporal storms suck poo poo and they should just ditch them until they figure out what they actually want to do with the fantasy stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
often a mark of really bad writing is when people change otherwise mundane or recognizable objects like a larch tree into elfwood for no reason other than to make you learn another proper noun. there are exceptions - sunless sea was mostly well written but changing every instance of the word sea into zea only served to make it look worse than it was