Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i can't believe they acttually said, "do your own research"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

what a jizz lobber

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Do the Wrong Thing

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Shill’s Gotta Have It

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
lol buttcoin would be loving useless if it wasn't able to be traded for USD

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I don't know if I've seen an ad with credits before.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Alan Smithee posted:

Do the Wrong Thing
lol

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
25th hour but it is bitcoin influencers getting caught for a pump and dump going away for 18months

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

It's been like 2-3 months since there has been anything going on in the bitcoin world.

It's been strangely static, sometimes peaking over the 35k but keep going back down to hover around 32k

I know that it get tether infusion if it reach under 30k but I wonder how long is it going to last until it either crash or spike again.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Following the averages, it's dropping approximately 1% a week.

There were similar periods after the past couple of crashes. Could be like this for a few months.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Looking at volumes on actual-dollar exchanges, the retail suckers came along in February and had gone home by May. So at present the price is Wile E. Coyote suspended above the canyon, about to take some gravity lessons.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I loving hate when someone says “Do your own research” or “Educate yourself” or “Look it up” because holy poo poo, do they know how the internet works? You’ll find whatever feels the most right based on whatever biases you have.

I mean, “look it up” works if we’re talking about learning how to do something or perform a task. It doesn’t work with something complex that has social factors in it — like trying to understand how currency works.

And yeah, paper money has a bunch of white people on it and should reflect contemporary America more. That doesn’t mean loving cryptocurrency is in any way an answer.

Yeah Spike, the people in the oppressed underclass you’re talking to are for sure going to be able to “educate themselves” when the internet is full of people trying to rip them off. gently caress this guy for acting like crypto is somehow going to help marginalized people. I mean, might help them get trafficked more efficiently maybe? What an rear end in a top hat.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Davies Gerry should promote his stuff better, didn't know about the "When The Music Stops" podcasts. Thanks for mentioning it!

I think considering he's essentially relaying our most valuable posts, he should keep us in the know.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

divabot posted:

Looking at volumes on actual-dollar exchanges, the retail suckers came along in February and had gone home by May. So at present the price is Wile E. Coyote suspended above the canyon, about to take some gravity lessons.

Do you have the google search terms to get this chart/data? This sounds like a fun watch, and all I can find are sites that want me to convert dollars into bitcoin.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

It's on yahoo finance. You can get all sorts of charts and history there.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

divabot posted:

Volume was standing at around 50-60 billion transactions per day back in February and we're now averaging 20-25 billion. This tracks with the price roughly halving from the peak but of course we aren't dealing with a real security here and the numbers are complete fiction. I wouldn't be surprised if a large chunk of that volume is just willybots wash trading back and forth using Tethers/USDC but nothings certain until the people running these scams see a court room and lol if that ever happens.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Alan Smithee posted:

Do the Wrong Thing

:lol:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Fame Douglas posted:

Davies Gerry should promote his stuff better, didn't know about the "When The Music Stops" podcasts. Thanks for mentioning it!

I think considering he's essentially relaying our most valuable posts, he should keep us in the know.

I mention them in the blog. Here's the youtube audio of the twitter spaces binance thing. quite playable at 1.25x.

MickeyFinn posted:

Do you have the google search terms to get this chart/data? This sounds like a fun watch, and all I can find are sites that want me to convert dollars into bitcoin.

nuh! I need to do something with the coingecko API i think.

Beached Whale posted:

Volume was standing at around 50-60 billion transactions per day back in February and we're now averaging 20-25 billion. This tracks with the price roughly halving from the peak but of course we aren't dealing with a real security here and the numbers are complete fiction. I wouldn't be surprised if a large chunk of that volume is just willybots wash trading back and forth using Tethers/USDC but nothings certain until the people running these scams see a court room and lol if that ever happens.

ah I'm specifically talking about exchange volume, and that on actual-dollar exchanges

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Using Benford's Law to Detect Bitcoin Manipulation

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ah but did they account for an Elon Musk tweet?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I think this is a flawed analysis, as the market price of a single stock/coin could be 'stuck' in specific leading digits for large periods of time. It would be better to use the amounts traded in all individual trades as the data source.

Like, let's say you have a very stable government bond or something that started trading 20 years ago, at the price of $300 per share, and is now trading at $500. A Benford's Law analysis would show that it has absolutely no prices with 1 and 2 as the leading digits, but this is not a case of manipulation, just using the law on data types where it doesn't fit.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 16, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The creator of dogecoin confirming what this thread and forum have been saying for years.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ummjackson/status/1415353985406406658

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
its kinda funny that dogecoin, the one that was actually created to mock the entire situation, ended up being more of the same

glad to hear the nerd behind it saying so

also gently caress everyone who ever made money off crypto and is proud of ripping off a bunch of random people who didn't know better

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/dee_bosa/status/1415357381685436429

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
oh you are concerned about tether well let me tell you about another fractional reserve scam called the US DOLLAR!!!! :smugbert:

drk
Jan 16, 2005

MickeyFinn posted:

Tradingview has decent charts by exchange. Here's Coinbase for example: https://www.tradingview.com/chart/?symbol=COINBASE%3ABTCUSD

As shouldnt be too surprising, volume tends to increase when price is changing the most:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

tehinternet posted:

I loving hate when someone says “Do your own research” or “Educate yourself” or “Look it up” because holy poo poo, do they know how the internet works? You’ll find whatever feels the most right based on whatever biases you have.

I mean, “look it up” works if we’re talking about learning how to do something or perform a task. It doesn’t work with something complex that has social factors in it — like trying to understand how currency works.

And yeah, paper money has a bunch of white people on it and should reflect contemporary America more. That doesn’t mean loving cryptocurrency is in any way an answer.

Yeah Spike, the people in the oppressed underclass you’re talking to are for sure going to be able to “educate themselves” when the internet is full of people trying to rip them off. gently caress this guy for acting like crypto is somehow going to help marginalized people. I mean, might help them get trafficked more efficiently maybe? What an rear end in a top hat.

Fond memories of when people said 'It's not my job to educate you' unironically.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fond memories of when people said 'It's not my job to educate you' unironically.

Well sometime I go to that line but it's usually after arguing for a while and the other person is a bad faith actor.

I am tired of arguing against mount and bailey, gishgalop or JAQing ( "I am just asking question") off.

edit: spelling

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 16, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

drk posted:

Tradingview has decent charts by exchange.

The only charts I trust are logarithmic scales. And any random chart from ghosTitty

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bleusilences posted:

Well sometime I go to that line but it's usually after arguing for a while and the other person is a bad fate actor.\

yeah i hate fate grand order too

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I am not a troll by choice, but rather by destiny.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

divabot posted:

ah I'm specifically talking about exchange volume, and that on actual-dollar exchanges

You're absolutely right, looking at the actual USD volume for Coinbase in Tradingview is just pathetic, perhaps 5k-10k transactions at most, and this company is valued at 46.87 BILLION dollars!?

EDIT: I didn't realize I was talking to the Divabot. I watched Cryptopia recently and was super excited when you came on and was so bummed when they'd edit you to cut you off right before you launched into some spiel about how stupid this whole thing is. There were still several moments of heavy sarcasm the butter director couldn't detect that made me laugh though, thanks for your work over the years.

Beached Whale fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 16, 2021

drk
Jan 16, 2005
If you were expecting to see a lot of real USD trading, think again. Most of the volume in crypto exchanges is with stablecoins, which are largely unregulated, and in the case of Tether, likely mostly backed by uncollectable debt and coiner wishcasting.

Here's the top 5 BTC markets by volume:

#1 and #4 are direct pairs with Tether. #2 is FTX, who is one of the largest Tether partners and also has no KYC/AML (so, money laundering friendly). #3 is Binance's stablecoin which I dont know much about, other than its actually issued by a US company - either way Binance is sketchy, so even if this stablecoin is 100% backed, I wouldn't assume people wont get burned when Binance fails (or, gets banned in their country, as has happened in quite a few places recently).

That just leaves Coinbase at #5 - they're certainly the least shady player there, but regulations on cryptocurrency related business are still pretty light. The USD is probably real and in a bank account somewhere, but even Coinbase has been caught (and fined for) wash trading.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Beached Whale posted:

You're absolutely right, looking at the actual USD volume for Coinbase in Tradingview is just pathetic, perhaps 5k-10k transactions at most, and this company is valued at 46.87 BILLION dollars!?

EDIT: I didn't realize I was talking to the Divabot. I watched Cryptopia recently and was super excited when you came on and was so bummed when they'd edit you to cut you off right before you launched into some spiel about how stupid this whole thing is. There were still several moments of heavy sarcasm the butter director couldn't detect that made me laugh though, thanks for your work over the years.

New Kids on the Blockchain came out better, they included more of me saying my piece. It's another film that they worked on for years and got screwed by COVID, so they just went "gently caress it" and put it up on their YouTube. They're filming another one, I need to arrange my appearance to say why DeFi is poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoAW5asXPss

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Police Destroy 1,069 Bitcoin Miners With Big rear end Steamroller In Malaysia

quote:

Malaysian authorities did not mess around when they broke up a cryptocurrency mining farm and charged the operators with stealing electricity.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7kv739/police-destroy-1069-bitcoin-miners-with-big-rear end-steamroller-in-malaysia

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
No. Not all those fans, they could still be useful.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Adolf Glitter posted:

Police Destroy 1,069 Bitcoin Miners With Big rear end Steamroller In Malaysia

Really got my hopes up with that headline.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I've been retired a long time but you'd better believe I'd go back to work if I could have the job of cryptosporidium big rear end steamroller operator

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
This is good for bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Beef posted:

No. Not all those fans, they could still be useful.

Turn all the fans on to cool the earth to make up for the global warming accelerated by cryptocurrency.