Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lady Demelza posted:

Hivemind, please tell me if I'm being reasonable or if the heat is making me a stroppy grump.

It sounds reasonable to me. I would explain it to your manager and cite the CDC (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html) (i can't find the NHS equivalent but there are other UK sources (https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/coronavirus-and-your-health/vaccine-second-dose))

The bottom line is: you're not fully protected from Covid (which, incidentally, is running rampant in the UK right now - another thing you should point out to them) and your employer has a duty of care to ensure your safety. You should ask them to explain what they're going to do to meet this obligation.

If you're not satisfied you're going to be safe, then you could refuse to go in. There's a law somewhere (I can't find it but I did look it up when the pandemic started) that protects employees who refuse to go into work because they believe it's unsafe, and this protection applies even if you just believe it's unsafe (even if it actually is safe). This would be the "kicking up a stink" option, and you probably wouldn't get paid for the time you take off, and they might counter-stink you and try to dismiss you (though you might have a case for unfair dismissal in such a scenario)

A compromise option might be getting them to give you 2 weeks' annual leave.

Anyway i'm not a lawyer so do speak to citizen's advice if you want to pursue your options.

Lady Demelza posted:

Honestly I'm not that worried about getting Covid,

You should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1416313795371278337?s=19

Things can only get marginally worse

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Extremely curious to hear Miftan’s thoughts on coriander 👹

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

I like the bit where she says "You can definitely take part in our politics, get involved, just by voting, alone".

We can't promise things for you, but you should still vote for us... no no don't join a movement or anything foolish like that, just vote me in and don't expect anything.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
The variant really seems to be more serious than a lot of people want to believe.
This week Adam22 from NoJumper (rap YouTuber) caught it and shows full range of symptoms even though he's fully vaccinated. His wife, also fully vaccinated, caught it from him shortly after and lost all taste and smell plus common symptoms. a day later their baby showed mild symptoms too.
:tif:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

^^^What was it about the discussion or information campaign that gave people the mindset that 70-90% reduction is 100% reduction? Whatever it was it's allowed the government to just stop caring and go back to their plan A of herd immunity by infection.

Desiderata posted:

I like the bit where she says "You can definitely take part in our politics, get involved, just by voting, alone".

We can't promise things for you, but you should still vote for us... no no don't join a movement or anything foolish like that, just vote me in and don't expect anything.

I was a little surprised she finished off by attacking Johnsons 'levelling up' phrase rather than just letting it hang as a dig at the left lol

Absolutely worthless person though, clearly seeing her job is keeping her in her seat rather than doing anything political with it.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

namesake posted:

I was a little surprised she finished off by attacking Johnsons 'levelling up' phrase rather than just letting it hang as a dig at the left lol

Absolutely worthless person though, clearly seeing her job is keeping her in her seat rather than doing anything political with it.

The second video in that thread is great too, where she admits that she needs journalists and has to pander to them, then she and the presenter have a little joke about some offscreen conversation about her sharing inside information - "wheels within wheels" - and they agree the world would be better if neither the opposition or the press criticized the government when they got things wrong.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If you're not satisfied you're going to be safe, then you could refuse to go in. There's a law somewhere (I can't find it but I did look it up when the pandemic started) that protects employees who refuse to go into work because they believe it's unsafe, and this protection applies even if you just believe it's unsafe (even if it actually is safe).
You're correct about the law, but this is bad advice: the threshold for what "unsafe" means is very high - like, building on fire, unexploded bomb type stuff. Some of the unions were suggesting that their members could stay home at the start of the pandemic, but it really isn't something you'd want to rely on individually. Talk to your union about it, basically.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

TACD posted:

Extremely curious to hear Miftan’s thoughts on coriander 👹

Would it surprise you to hear I have the "coriander is awful" gene? Don't mind it dried and in things like stew, but fresh coriander tastes like soapy garbage.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I was reading up about the Spanish Flu with its far more deadly 'second wave' considered to have resulted from troop movements.

I've put the spoiler on because I know some people ITT are finding the covid discussions difficult.

quote:

While the global pandemic lasted for two years, a significant number of deaths were packed into three especially cruel months in the fall of 1918. Historians now believe that the fatal severity of the Spanish flu’s “second wave” was caused by a mutated virus spread by wartime troop movements.
Reported cases of Spanish flu dropped off over the summer of 1918, and there was hope at the beginning of August that the virus had run its course. In retrospect, it was only the calm before the storm.

Harris believes that the rapid spread of Spanish flu in the fall of 1918 was at least partially to blame on public health officials unwilling to impose quarantines during wartime. In Britain, for example, a government official named Arthur Newsholme knew full well that a strict civilian lockdown was the best way to fight the spread of the highly contagious disease. But he wouldn’t risk crippling the war effort by keeping munitions factory workers and other civilians home.

https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-second-wave-resurgence

I'm analogising between troop movements and people moving around internationally on holidays, and between the needs of war and the perceived needs of the economy. I really think the poo poo is going to hit the fan in the Autumn.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Can’t believe this awful dickheads voice is the first human voice I’ve heard this morning. No one expects it to be easy, that’s why we elect people and have a civil service to work out how to do it, in theory. But no, that’s too much for her, she’s too loving thick to do any of that hard stuff so we just have to sit here while the planet boils and everyone gets slowly more depressed and insane. Can’t wait for all the sage nodding about how realistic she is.

miftan eat the ginger

E: appreciate the spoiler Jaeluni :) sadly I couldn’t help but look anyway haha

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I swear the only people on this train still wearing masks are the ones wearing them completely wrong, with their noses hanging out.

I've gone to the vestibule, gently caress sitting in a carriage full of that

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress you young smug long haired libertarian looking prick, clearly making a point of not wearing a mask

Catch covid and die (while not infecting anyone else please)

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

drat, not even "Thiii-ii-ii-ii-iings will get worse more slowly."

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i hope jess phillips and all like her get diarrhea and diarrhea until they die

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Desiderata posted:

I also liked that bit, because she's portraying it as a great benefit to the electorate that Labour are willing to accept their votes, and that is literally all they're offering. The political equivalent of being offered unpaid unskilled work "for the experience".

PS therattle wait til you hear how I spiced the couscous :ohdear:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was reading up about the Spanish Flu with its far more deadly 'second wave' considered to have resulted from troop movements.

I've put the spoiler on because I know some people ITT are finding the covid discussions difficult.

I'm analogising between troop movements and people moving around internationally on holidays, and between the needs of war and the perceived needs of the economy. I really think the poo poo is going to hit the fan in the Autumn.

MPs facing down this material reality: "hands face space"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Borrovan posted:

I also liked that bit, because she's portraying it as a great benefit to the electorate that Labour are willing to accept their votes, and that is literally all they're offering. The political equivalent of being offered unpaid unskilled work "for the experience".

PS therattle wait til you hear how I spiced the couscous :ohdear:

Go on, I’m a glutton for punishment.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

namesake posted:

^^^What was it about the discussion or information campaign that gave people the mindset that 70-90% reduction is 100% reduction? Whatever it was it's allowed the government to just stop caring and go back to their plan A of herd immunity by infection.
The government seem to be relying on the deaths statistic because the long covid problems are harder to track on a graph and daily deaths are (at the moment) a lot lower than they were. If the immunisation is 70% effective, and of the people who do get it about ~1% are likely to die, Boris has already gone back to roughly visualising that in his head and seeing it as an acceptable sacrifice to Moloch.

Sadly a lot of people have already seen the worst of it, and think our 'blitz spirit' (read - blithe and wilful ignorance) got us through and we're ok now. Nobody in government seems to want to take into account that this virus has made a huge mutation leap twice already - once to cross the species barrier because it was given an open petri dish in Wuhan to work with, and on the second occasion when we gave it an entire planet to breed in and multiple variants have since emerged.

If nothing else it shows that Boris is disgustingly unsinkable. He literally said he wanted bodies to pile up in the streets rather than lock down, hundreds of thousands died or were left with long term health problems and he divvied up the money that should have gone on PPE and care to make a bunch of his mates richer; but half the media were on his side and spreading misinformation, and the other side were frantically both-sidesing a mid point between the spin and the truth.

The people know there's no effective opposition and that the government don't give a poo poo. There is literally nothing we can do any more except watch the horrors unfold. And call it doomsaying all you like, but how the gently caress can anyone watch the events of the last year and think 'yeah, but this time we'll be fine.'

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 17, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It's weird that the best way I can term my mental state when I'm at my best is 'fey' lol

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

namesake posted:

A major major thing that people don't understand is that a vaccine with 90% effectiveness doesn't mean 90% less covid severity.

It means covid cannot replicate in the cells of 90% of people who have been vaccinated.

The 10% of remaining people are exactly as vulnerable as they were pre vaccination.

This is also true for single vs double vaccination. If a single dose is 60% effective, then covid cannot replicate in the cells of 60% of people on a single dose. The second dose just increases the number of people it can work for.

People have muddied the waters here by saying things like "vaccines reduce the severest symptoms". It's only true on a population level.

The other thing is that chance of getting the severest symptoms isn't necessarily correlated with whether the vaccine would work for a person or not.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I'm never going out again. Except into my back garden where I just spent an hour pruning tomatoes, putting stakes in my chilli plants that exploded when I left them in the greenhouse for a week and trying to figure out how the hell to buy enough compost to fill the 1000 litre plant pot my overly zealous partner bought for the rhubarb.

I also seem to have grown a 10 foot tall sunflower with 10 flowers and a stem as thick as my wrist.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

mrpwase posted:

Duolingo keeps telling me that Germany is great, and also too small :tinfoil:

Oh dear, is it Anschlusszeit again?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

People have muddied the waters here by saying things like "vaccines reduce the severest symptoms". It's only true on a population level.
It's like how people misunderstand evolution. It's not that an individual human adapts. It's that the members of a species that are unable to adapt die off.

I genuinely think Boris' understanding of herd immunity is that the herd gets sick, and then they all get better and the entire herd can carry on with their day and not get sick again. Rather than the literal examples of BSE and Foot & Mouth disease that almost decimated British livestock and both happened during his lifetime (though to be fair he was likely too coked off his tits to notice).

I don't know. There's something about all of this that's like trying to explain hubris to someone who keeps saying 'Ah but it'll never happen to me, I'm too powerful so I can get away with it.'

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

therattle posted:

Go on, I’m a glutton for punishment.
South Asian. My cooking is unconstrained by national borders :anarchists:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

There were active campaigns - lavishly funded by businesses, of course - against quarantines and mask-wearing.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Huh, I genuinely didn’t know it was a case of all or nothing with the 90% - I guess I thought more like a sliding scale where almost everyone would have some level of extra protection with the average level being 90%. I think you’re right that almost no one understands this. What a gently caress up.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's almost as if we've been wilfully ignoring the science because it happens to be inconvenient to the rich.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Borrovan posted:

South Asian. My cooking is unconstrained by national borders :anarchists:

This is how cooking should be. The amount of times mixing cuisines has led to outstanding combinations.

Though I don't know what the threads opinion on the Japanese pizza hut fish and chip pizza is...

Personally I'd destroy it as I assume the lemon rind on there is treated somehow and not bitter.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Recognising that 500,000 people have been flagged as needing to self-isolate and coming to the conclusion that actually this means the system is broken and should be ignored is another of those things that future historians will look at and think

:ughh:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Mebh posted:

Though I don't know what the threads opinion on the Japanese pizza hut fish and chip pizza is...
It sounds fine (tartare sauce base, right?), it's just fish & chip stuff on bread with cheese, but since it's pizza hut I'm gonna guess it's awful. I tried their roast dinner pizza the other week, and advise against it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Otoh, I've been reading the comments made on the Guardian website and they're all working themselves up into a prissy, judgemental frenzy about the very idea of thick, stupid plebs being allowed to make their own choices, rather than being compelled to by the law. Now, surely, anything that winds up Guardian readers can only be a good thing?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Pistol_Pete posted:

Otoh, I've been reading the comments made on the Guardian website and they're all working themselves up into a prissy, judgemental frenzy about the very idea of thick, stupid plebs being allowed to make their own choices, rather than being compelled to by the law. Now, surely, anything that winds up Guardian readers can only be a good thing?

Reading the guardian comments is a big mistake.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Pistol_Pete posted:

It is loving stupid though. I heard there are bus drivers protesting at potentially having to enforce rules themselves as if their jobs weren't hard enough already.

Not heard of protests but it's the same with small shop owners. Optional masks at shop owners discretion means effectively no masks or have to argue with all the rabid pricks who won't be wearing them.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I read up on the history of Lead plumbing rexently amd it did not suprise me to learn that there was a 'lead lobby' that continued to campain and promote lead pipes for decades after the harmfull effects were understood.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mebh posted:

Personally I'd destroy it as I assume the lemon rind on there is treated somehow and not bitter.
I hope it catches on so that those of us who enjoy pineapple on pizza can point at this abomination whenever somebody kicks off about it

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

kingturnip posted:

Recognising that 500,000 people have been flagged as needing to self-isolate and coming to the conclusion that actually this means the system is broken and should be ignored is another of those things that future historians will look at and think

:ughh:

It's national freedom day but 70 million individual self isolations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

Huh, I genuinely didn’t know it was a case of all or nothing with the 90% - I guess I thought more like a sliding scale where almost everyone would have some level of extra protection with the average level being 90%. I think you’re right that almost no one understands this. What a gently caress up.

No, you've actually got it right with the idea of a sliding scale.

The outcome of such a high efficacy is that it's *effectively* all or nothing for the majority of people without underlying conditions because they already start from such a low chance, but this is still meaningless on an individual level. Your chances of dying or sustaining severe injuries in a car crash are reduced hugely by wearing a seatbelt, but people in seatbelts still die every day in car crashes.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Antigravitas posted:

Oh dear, is it Anschlusszeit again?

Mostly it wants me to make very judgemental statements about the difference between waiters, waitresses, actors and actresses :confused:

gently caress me linguistic gender is terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Waiters deliver a small motile entrée.