Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

LifeSunDeath posted:

this is also from 1986 on....I wore it for the whole second half of the 90's though:

Obsession was one of those scents I liked both the men's and women's version equally. I have a bottle of women's Obsession on my dresser at this very moment that's probably more than 20 years old. Still put it on from time to time for the nostalgia kick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Peak 80s right here, folks.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwoNhhYG2ug

No blue and red lasers, and no dudes bailing out JUST before the tanks explode. :colbert:

Reminded me of the coolest GI Joe toy I ever had: https://www.3djoes.com/rolling-thunder.html

But what I REALLY lusted after was this motherfucker: https://www.3djoes.com/uss-flagg.html

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

The Flagg was a myth, spun for luring in children's hopes and dashing them upon the rocks of christmas morning.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Imagined posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwoNhhYG2ug

No blue and red lasers, and no dudes bailing out JUST before the tanks explode. :colbert:

Reminded me of the coolest GI Joe toy I ever had: https://www.3djoes.com/rolling-thunder.html

But what I REALLY lusted after was this motherfucker: https://www.3djoes.com/uss-flagg.html

Wow, I didn't know this site existed. Thanks for linking that! One of my most memorable xmases was when I got the Whale hovercraft as a gift. This site should bring back some great memories.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

The Flagg was a myth, spun for luring in children's hopes and dashing them upon the rocks of christmas morning.

My friend had it. It was kind of lame. Took up a significant part of his bedroom floor and mostly you could...have planes take off from it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The tower had a microphone built in.

Just lol if the kid didn't do epic invasion fights where the Joe's have to fend off Cobra.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

The tower had a microphone built in.

So did Skeletor’s Snake Mountain, and my broke parents were actually able to give that to me for Christmas :colbert:

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

stealie72 posted:

My friend had it. It was kind of lame. Took up a significant part of his bedroom floor and mostly you could...have planes take off from it.

I reject this as propaganda.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

I reject this as propaganda.
This is a guy that I and another friend have been tight with since essentially birth, and over the past 30-ish years have brought up the Flagg multiple times, and all three of us agree it was kinda lame once you got past the giant box under the christmas tree and the general "holy poo poo, I got the USS Flagg" ness of it all. It mostly served as a display for him to lay out his vehicles and line up his guys when we were done playing.

Now, ask us about the time we lost a bunch of his joes in the snow and then went around trying to find them the first time the snow melted, or having rattler vs skystriker battles in the back yard, or setting up jungle ambushes in his mom's plants and we'll go on for 20 minutes.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Had one of these guys at NKU, same nickname even. Guy even had a Facebook group or page or whatever it was in 2009, long gone now.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

stealie72 posted:

This is a guy that I and another friend have been tight with since essentially birth, and over the past 30-ish years have brought up the Flagg multiple times, and all three of us agree it was kinda lame once you got past the giant box under the christmas tree and the general "holy poo poo, I got the USS Flagg" ness of it all. It mostly served as a display for him to lay out his vehicles and line up his guys when we were done playing.

Now, ask us about the time we lost a bunch of his joes in the snow and then went around trying to find them the first time the snow melted, or having rattler vs skystriker battles in the back yard, or setting up jungle ambushes in his mom's plants and we'll go on for 20 minutes.

Friend, if you think you're going to dispel this particular defense mechanism against childhood disappointment, i got some bad news for you.
:pseudo: Ya see the trick is to not let even one fall down, cuz then the other, more important ones are vulnerable.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I was playing GTAV recently and We Built This City came on and i never listened to the lyrics because its a bad song, but its literally about San Fransisco being where good music from the 60s came from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1b8AhIsSYQ
It's also funny seeing the 40 year old members of Starship trying to look cool by putting a bunch of hip 80s kids with them. It looks more like the teacher took the senior class to see the talking Lincoln at the county fair.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
My brain breaks a little every time I realize the same band who did We Built This City also did White Rabbit.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Mentioning THAT SONG is now worthy of a sixer, y'all been warned. Do not earworm me with it ever again.

Although a PYLF Earworm thread might be fun...? Nothing but tormenting soundguys with "Take Me Home Tonight" by Eddie Money (there's a tape drag or something halfway through, you can hear the pitch shift. Drives me insane when we have the 80's station on at work.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

My brain breaks a lot every time I realize the same songwriter who did REDACTED also did Your Song and Tiny Dancer

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
IIRC Grace Slick was the only member in common between Jefferson Airplane and Starship, and she didn't like it either.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 01:20 on Jul 1, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

SubponticatePoster posted:

My brain breaks a little every time I realize the same band who did REDACTED also did White Rabbit.

what a precipitous decline. poor Grace.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
In fairness a LOT of good music did come from San Francisco in the 60s.
Not all of it, but there was a lot.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Oh yeah. Have you ever heard Skip Spence's solo record? He was like the Syd Barrett of Jefferson Airplane. Moby Grape's self-titled record is really great too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

In fairness a LOT of good music did come from San Francisco in the 60s.
Not all of it, but there was a lot.

It feels very Boomer to try to say "no, our music was the best music!". Boomers were still in their 30s and early 40s then so they were still kinda young and hip so you would think as a kid "yea hippy music was the best music!" when your dad would get excited about all 60s weekend and have to hear Beach Boys all weekend.

Imagined posted:

IIRC Grace Slick was the only member in common between Jefferson Airplane and Starship, and she didn't like it either.

Man, that's unfortunate.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Mentioning THAT SONG is now worthy of a sixer, y'all been warned. Do not earworm me with it ever again.

Although a PYLF Earworm thread might be fun...? Nothing but tormenting soundguys with "Take Me Home Tonight" by Eddie Money (there's a tape drag or something halfway through, you can hear the pitch shift. Drives me insane when we have the 80's station on at work.

Oh poo poo sorry. But i can totally get down on the ear worm thread.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

JacquelineDempsey posted:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

You know, I wouldn't mind Down Under, Who Can It Be Now, and Overkill melding into each other over the next 3 weeks. Nope.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

tribbledirigible posted:

You know, I wouldn't mind Down Under, Who Can It Be Now, and Overkill melding into each other over the next 3 weeks. Nope.

Men at Work had a third song?! :psyduck:

e: actually i forgot about "Be Good Johnny" so more like "a second album?!"

a kitten has a new favorite as of 03:25 on Jul 5, 2021

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Gonz has a new favorite as of 09:58 on Jul 17, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Had one of those as a kid.
Ours had a little metal pan at the top for melting butter though :smugdog:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

There's butter in the little indent piece in the photo up there.

Getting fresh popcorn from that was the best thing ever in Kindergarten.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

And we had one of those when I was a kid. You shoved some ice cubes in the hole and then turned a crank in the back and something inside (probably a blade or something else similarly dangerous) would shave off bits of them as it spun around. Once you had enough you used the little shovel to extricate the slush into the cup, then you aimed for a 50/50 mix of Kool-Aid concentrate "flavoring" and ice to get a sugar rush. Or at least I did.

It was kind of a pain in the rear end and a lot of work for what you got but it was heady times to be able to whip up your own snow cone at home on-demand.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

There's butter in the little indent piece in the photo up there.

Getting fresh popcorn from that was the best thing ever in Kindergarten.

PFFT!! Big deal. Mine had the REMOVABLE pan for butter. :v:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

:same: I see that and instantly am ready to watch Misfits of Science/Knight Rider/Miami Vice on a Friday night.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

We had one of those, my dad called it the house burner because it was so unsafe, and his insurance agents kids set their house on fire using one.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

We had one of those, my dad called it the house burner because it was so unsafe, and his insurance agents kids set their house on fire using one.

I really hope you're talking about the sno-cone maker.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

twistedmentat posted:

What kind of insurance agent?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What kind of insurance agent?

Home. His kids were notorious for starting fires with cooking stuff that involved hot oil.

Sunswipe posted:

I really hope you're talking about the sno-cone maker.

Hah, that would be hilarious, but no the popcorn maker. Though I remember a lot of people having that sno cone maker but it was never used. I figure it broke super easily.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

If it's anything like my experience, it's from lack of ice. Once you get done with that first round of cups, the leftover ice is melted and you have to wait for more.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Wow, the first thing in quite a few pages to send a pang of nostalgia through me. I don't think we had the continuous feeding model like this one, but I can completely recall the whole experience.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Happy Meal holy grail…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

The Happy Meal holy grail…