Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you’re buying anything more from Dell than cheap laptops and desktops for minor office work you get what you deserve. This has been Dell’s thing for literal decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Man, sometimes I don't really get where the takes this thread has come from: My takeaway from the SEP video was a pretty consistent "I got in way over my head trying to build my own PC, and stubbornly tried to fix the problem myself", and the only major accusatory portions are at the inefficient, bureaucratic nature of most company's customer support lines (That is the structure of the support lines themselves, not the people actually answering the calls). The last five minutes are a pretty earnest "I really could have solved this problem a lot faster and easier if I'd actually reached out for help from the start instead of stubbornly trying to fix the issue myself because of the sunk cost fallacy".

I thought it was an entertaining video: 7.5/10 stars.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

KingKalamari posted:

Man, sometimes I don't really get where the takes this thread has come from: My takeaway from the SEP video was a pretty consistent "I got in way over my head trying to build my own PC, and stubbornly tried to fix the problem myself", and the only major accusatory portions are at the inefficient, bureaucratic nature of most company's customer support lines (That is the structure of the support lines themselves, not the people actually answering the calls). The last five minutes are a pretty earnest "I really could have solved this problem a lot faster and easier if I'd actually reached out for help from the start instead of stubbornly trying to fix the issue myself because of the sunk cost fallacy".

I haven't watched the video but when it was happening there were a lot more blaming others for their own mistakes going around.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Online Creators + Reviewers V: I Haven't Watched the Video But...

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

KingKalamari posted:

It's more of a tone thing than anything. There's been this trend in SEW's videos where he turns everything into an existential crisis, which is fine if you're talking about the harm that fake psychics cause but less so when you're talking about Dell customer support.

Also it is at least partially an act, because SEW has a podcast and when he talked about this same issue it...wasn't like this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's more of a tone thing than anything. There's been this trend in SEW's videos where he turns everything into an existential crisis, which is fine if you're talking about the harm that fake psychics cause but less so when you're talking about Dell customer support.

Also it is at least partially an act, because SEW has a podcast and when he talked about this same issue it...wasn't like this.

yea we've already heard this story, it was less dramatic and less...over the top. It feels very fake to try to fold this into the already thin trend of 'everything I do is part of an ongoing existential crisis' which really feels less like an interesting topic and more like

Endorph posted:

this guy really needs medication

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SEW is as fake as Chills

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i used to watch a couple sew videos but then stopped because he has this really weird affectation that made everything sound like he attained some secret knowledge or had a life-changing epiphany while exclusively discussing video games and cartoons, and it just ended up feeling real awkward for me

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Alaois posted:

SEW is as fake as Chills

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
SEW's wrestling videos are all great, as are his stuff like fake psychic martial arts. The rest I can take or leave.

Let him complain about a big corporation.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My experiences almost 20 years ago with Dell support technician "Fabrisio" are the entire reason I got into computer touching. I will never buy another pre-built until the day I die.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ah yeah lemme watch this video about wrestling with da mufuggin Fiend in the thumbnail

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

ah yeah lemme watch this video about wrestling with da mufuggin Fiend in the thumbnail

I would almost like to see what secret and deep truths you can get from the LORE OF THE FIEND.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

yea we've already heard this story, it was less dramatic and less...over the top. It feels very fake to try to fold this into the already thin trend of 'everything I do is part of an ongoing existential crisis' which really feels less like an interesting topic and more like

Obviously getting bored with his "I looked into this innocuous topic and it led to a descent into madness" schtick is valid, but at the same time it's very obvious hyperbole for entertainment value and taking this as a sign the guy needs medication feels a bit too much like taking the presentation of the video far too literally.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Yardbomb posted:

To be fair, having an SSD makes using a HDD ever again feel like smoke signals.

Dell and their support also do both suck monumental rear end.
An SSD means my pc and my speakers have a race to see who starts up faster.

I dunno, I can't complain about Dell support. Maybe I speak tech support and it helps but first time I had a problem with a USB audio interface with less than a month left on my warranty their first response was "okay, we're sending a tech to replace your laptop mobo unless you feel up to doing it yourself". Followed by a complete driver de-install and re-install that seemed to do the trick, so the mobo switch was overkill, but hey.

Also when I got a desktop I had two choices to get a decent video card - buy a Dell with one or wait six months and hope I could get one that the bitcoin miners didn't scoop up first.

Yardbomb posted:

Also apparently Dell has been screwing people as of late.

Or, you know, content creators trying their crack at replicating a viral post.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

stillvisions posted:

Or, you know, content creators trying their crack at replicating a viral post.

Half of those are older than his original post.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Yardbomb posted:

Half of those are older than his original post.

Who says he's not the copy?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
He should've used common sense to google what "No Wireless LAN" means, along with any other computer words he didn't know. Or talked to his twitter/discord fans first about it. Dell is also Satan and strung him along with commitments to in-person appointments until the return period was passed by the time he'd tried every reasonable option short of returning it.

The rest of the video is just Customer Service Hell, which like Eyepatch says, isn't the fault of any of the people working there. Customer Service lines are designed to be as miserable to call into as companies can get away with them being. And they're not intended to retain motivated, skilled, or experienced reps who might've thought to ask something like "Well what kind of hard drive do you have?" I don't blame him for feeling emotionally obliterated after days of calls. I say this as someone who has had to call into miserable CS lines, and as some whose job involves working with CS reps and picking through the wreckage of their work. (Again, not their fault, it's a system-wide ill.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

stillvisions posted:

I dunno, I can't complain about Dell support. Maybe I speak tech support and it helps but first time I had a problem with a USB audio interface with less than a month left on my warranty their first response was "okay, we're sending a tech to replace your laptop mobo unless you feel up to doing it yourself". Followed by a complete driver de-install and re-install that seemed to do the trick, so the mobo switch was overkill, but hey.

In the world of personal anecdotes and experiences, good experiences don't negate negative ones, I fear. This doesn't work like math, you know

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I got to the part of the video where it's obvious Dell assigned some escalated division to Eyepatch Wolf after his tweets went viral, and I can get why he'd feel pretty poo poo about the whole thing. Because yeah, corporations are absolutely pushed to give better treatment to people they assess as being harmful to their image. Heck, if he'd been crazy or lovely enough on the phone to the CS reps they probably would've pushed him up to someone who could solve his issues after a couple calls. Again, it's a system where being nice, polite, and patient just means corporations toss you aside because you're not enough of a public embarrassment to them. The people who are complete sociopaths, who are willing to be abusive and cruel to a dozen random people on the phone, stalk down the CEO's cellphone number, or leverage the outrage of millions of fans are the ones who get what they want.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Alaois posted:

SEW is as fake as Chills

I read this and saw "Chili's" and thought "this is a very weird flex but also kind of an ice burn"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Recently I had to deal with Dell customer support to help out a relative with their computer, it's absolute hell and makes you feel like your soul is wasting away in the process.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm just curious why they still have disc hard drives as the default in 2021. Trying to trick people who don't know better? keep down costs for businesses? From the sound of things its not a cheap low-end model.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I was going to respond that nearly every work computer I've used has an SSD in the past ten years, but then I realized that everywhere I work uses Lenovo and they seem to have SSD as the default option on their website.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Oh EM loving jeez, I hope Super Eyepatch Wolf didn't hurt Dell's feelings too much :(

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

MY BRAND

I MUST DEFEND

MY BRAND

DUDE

YOURE GETTING A DELL

YOURE GETTING A DELL YOU MOTHERFUCKER

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm sorry the youtube guy made a kinda lame video, I didn't know that by saying that I was participating in society

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Clip-On Fedora posted:

MY BRAND

I MUST DEFEND

MY BRAND

DUDE

YOURE GETTING A DELL

YOURE GETTING A DELL YOU MOTHERFUCKER

Kim Justice posted:

Oh EM loving jeez, I hope Super Eyepatch Wolf didn't hurt Dell's feelings too much :(

Absolutely spot on understanding of anything anyone said and not arguing with the ghosts in you head!

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

It's just amusing how some of y''all are so eager to get some owns on the YouTuber who admitted to his own faults in the said video as if he acted like some loving screaming rolling on the floor Karen. Like, how dare he document his experiences.

I mean whatever, I don't wanna get into an argument about it. It's just funny.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Absolutely spot on understanding of anything anyone said and not arguing with the ghosts in you head!

Oh relax.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

I was going to respond that nearly every work computer I've used has an SSD in the past ten years, but then I realized that everywhere I work uses Lenovo and they seem to have SSD as the default option on their website.

Yea that has been my experience too, and I am glad of it since even the most basic Lenovo laptop is passable for work stuff.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Kim Justice posted:

It's just amusing how some of y''all are so eager to get some owns on the YouTuber who admitted to his own faults in the said video as if he acted like some loving screaming rolling on the floor Karen. Like, how dare he document his experiences.

I mean whatever, I don't wanna get into an argument about it. It's just funny.

my only problem with his video is that at the end he says that he was stupid and honestly he wasn't! his primary mistake was assuming a €2000 enterprise dell pc would be better for his needs than any given 700 buck consumer machine and if you don't understand how someone could assume that you need even 1 friend who isnt a professional computer toucher

as to how any computers come without HDDs as standard, it's mostly a way to fleece clueless execs but if your primary concern is storing a LOT of data that you rarely need to access it can still make sense to go with a spinner because the price/mb is so much lower still

(yes even in that case it probably makes more sense to use a 511 gb nvme AND a big honkin spinner but that's complicated to do, let alone train users on how to use)

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Lmao at the people who don't like when SEW hams it up like that's not the selling point of SEW's videos. Like, why else are you watching?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dell really sucks, but it wasn't a very fun video.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
That's fine for everyone to say, but there is no reason to go all 'this guy needs meds' on him. (not a comment about you specifically obviously, just the initial reactions)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah guy just has a youtuber voice that is sometimes a bit much, sometimes works well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SEW had a good video on Outlaw Star so he is fine.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DeafNote posted:

That's fine for everyone to say, but there is no reason to go all 'this guy needs meds' on him. (not a comment about you specifically obviously, just the initial reactions)

Yea that kinda armchair psychiatrist stuff sucks!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kim Justice posted:

If anything, a fragile-voiced Irishman was probably the nicest call their fixer had to make that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Caddicarus put up a video back in March, where he talked about his experience in building a PC, and the issues he had with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHVXp_fRGzE. UK Youtubers have a lot of issues getting new PCs, I guess :shrug: (then again, seems like everyone is)

The computer I have was a custom-ish build from a local shop, because A.) I've no experience in building a PC either, and B.) even if I did learn how from playing PC Builder Simulator or whatever, I'm afraid of potentially damaging or frying parts if I screw up and do something wrong. If the store employee does it, but the part gets broken or whatever and I have to buy a new one, I can go, "It's fine, poo poo happens. Don't worry about." If I break it, then I'm certain I'd have a goddamn nervous breakdown. I put together a Raspberry Pi once, and I got stressed because I though I didn't get the heat sink centered on properly.