Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Was Brucato writing at that point? Because I swear I remember some really loving weird "mother goddess" stuff in an early Werewolf book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kavak posted:

Was Brucato writing at that point? Because I swear I remember some really loving weird "mother goddess" stuff in an early Werewolf book.

Tribebook Black Furies was written by him and had a whole thing about how the catholic god is actually a Wyrm Spirit named Patriarchy meant to tempt people away from the true mother goddess gaia.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Tribebook: Black Furies was also written by someone who was extremely angry about the existence of baby formula.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Was that because of Nestle or at least something that made sense?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kavak posted:

Was that because of Nestle or at least something that made sense?

It was because everybody ought to be breastfeeding.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There was a big trend in "alternative," or whatever you want to call it, parenting when that book came out about how parents who gave their babies formula were terrible and creating stunted, mentally deficient children. It obviously ignores the fact that many moms use both because breast milk isn't something that's produced at uniform or set rates between women. I remember it also having classist and borderline racist undertones but it was mainly in the vein of anti-GMO campaigns where it wasn't "natural."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Brucato also has a whole "rich person waxing poetic about how much better things are living naturally that he can only afford to do because he is rich" thing going on.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
A friend told me he loved the Ascension Warrior novels as a teen and they're still important to him.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MonsieurChoc posted:

A friend told me he loved the Ascension Warrior novels as a teen and they're still important to him.

Bad media can do this to you when you're a teen.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I would not be surprised at all if it came out Brucato was big into Qanon because he definitely seems to be similar to those New Age types that fell down that rabbit hole around the time the pandemic started.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kurieg posted:

Tribebook Black Furies was written by him and had a whole thing about how the catholic god is actually a Wyrm Spirit named Patriarchy meant to tempt people away from the true mother goddess gaia.

i mean as Brucato takes go that's pretty tame

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Catholicism is obviously a Weaver thing though

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Kurieg posted:

tbf killing Patriarchy is an excellent endgame fight for basically any line
even vampires would be better off

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

joylessdivision posted:

This is very much why I'm excited to dig into the 1e corebook. I know basically nothing about Ascension other than everyone here has pointed out it's a mess for various reasons and the storyteller screen is :krad: and the best $10 I've spent on a used WW product. So it's got that going for it.

The first edition corebook of Ascension imo is good stuff. It's really the only pre-Brucato text in the line, and its authors care more about Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance than anything else. The art is also gorgeous and extremely strange and surreal. It's as unplayable as any edition of Ascension (maybe a bit worse given the ridiculous damage multipliers for sphere magick), but the setting hasn't been completely hosed yet. The Traditions are still unambiguously the heroic protagonists who are walking the narrow line between the Dynamism of the Mauraders (more reality terrorists than caricatures of mental illness), the Stasis of the Technocracy, and the Entropy of the Nephandi. They haven't yet been characterized as "the real fascists" as Brucato would later do.

There are tons of plothooks like time traveling aliens, offhand references to fairies on the moon. There's also a focus on learning and seeking out Mysteries that would get discarded in later Ascension books only to return as a central theme in Mage the Awakening's two editions.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

How this ties in with noted Children of Gaia Kinfolk Yeshua is unknown.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I would not be surprised at all if it came out Brucato was big into Qanon because he definitely seems to be similar to those New Age types that fell down that rabbit hole around the time the pandemic started.

As uncomfortably White Ally or 90's Edgelord as he can be, Brucato at least isn't that kind of trash.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Does the concept of Indigo Children ever pop up in either setting?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Which book had the Furies worshipping JFK? I thought it was Australia but didn’t see it with a quick scan.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

AmiYumi posted:

Which book had the Furies worshipping JFK? I thought it was Australia but didn’t see it with a quick scan.

...why?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Kavak posted:

...why?
No, I was right, it was Australia, in the caerns section, and presumably because some writer needed to get in #NotAllMen before hashtags were even a thing:

quote:

Many Black Furies claim Kennedy was an aspect of the Sacred King, the ritually slain consort of the Mother Goddess.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Again, why him? My mind is drawing an actual loving blank.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

now, see, to me that just looks like the first seeds of Werewolf: The Forsaken taking shape :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kavak posted:

Again, why him? My mind is drawing an actual loving blank.
JFK assassination fandom.

Didn't Australia have an actual Prime Minister who just swam into the sea and disappeared?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Okay I can grok the Sacred King aspect but a "philanderer" like Kennedy would not be honored by feminists.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nofather posted:

There are inverse Indigo Children in MtAs who are called Widderslainte. They’re reincarnated Nephandi, evil mages, who are sociopathic Damien style children. In M20 they make it so they can be redeemed but it’s said to be impossible short of an end of chronicle level thing in original Mage.

Technically I guess Childlings in Changeling are since they’re literally supernaturally empowered children. Most the splats though are special from birth, except for vampires, mummies, hunters, and demons, since they have a special supernatural soul embedded into their human one.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nessus posted:

JFK assassination fandom.

Didn't Australia have an actual Prime Minister who just swam into the sea and disappeared?

Harold Holt, who probably got caught in a riptide and drowned.

They named a municipal pool after him.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

nofather posted:

It's arguably the entire setting of Hunter the Reckoning.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mors Rattus posted:

Harold Holt -> HH -> there's direct sea lane access between Australia and Argentina. I think I know what really happened here.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kavak posted:

Okay I can grok the Sacred King aspect but a "philanderer" like Kennedy would not be honored by feminists.

The Black Furies in Australia are letting a Caern of theirs burn to the ground because they're basically in a staring content with the Caern totem who will only talk to men, desperately hoping the totem blinks first. It's not a well written book.

Rage Across Australia bends over backwards way too hard in order to make the Western Garou into bumbling idiots waiting for the correct pack of plucky young Cliath to fix literally everything.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kavak posted:

I regret to inform you this is not true. Feminists can be just as stupid as anyone else in new and exciting hypocritical ways!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Arivia posted:

I regret to inform you this is not true. Feminists can be just as stupid as anyone else in new and exciting hypocritical ways!

I'll admit I was thinking about feminism kind of narrowly, but trying to read sense into Rage Across Australia is a game with no winners.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Rage Across Australia got exactly one thing right, and it's populating my home region with Children of Gaia.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Christ, the timeline of the Scathach section of Book of Lost Houses is a mess.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

As I recall, Book of Lost Houses is logistical mess generally, with all the lost houses being improbably large and having complicated structures in spite of all the members having just shown up with fragmented memories. All the Unseelie houses are convinced that it's their destiny to rule over the mortals when they should really be concerned with whether they survive the next five years or not, and the Norse house is just actively setting six of their best people on fire every year.

...guys, you don't have enough people to make that kind of horseshit work.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

Christ, the timeline of the Scathach section of Book of Lost Houses is a mess.

Oh, the Scathach. An entire sidhe house of brooding badasses who can't leave battle until every enemy is defeated or they succeed on a Willpower roll. Add in they still get the +2 Appearance dots and they're like catnip to a certain player.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah, it's a combo of trashfire execution and interesting ideas - with more of the former than the latter. But the Scathach timeline is... Well. It puts the War of the Trees as being directly before the Shattering (for those not familiar, the War of the Trees is the third Tuatha-Fomorian War, and results in the second defeat for the Fomorians. Problem one: half the books disagree on whether the Fomorians won the first one or if there was one. Problem two: nothing else treats the War of the Trees as taking place right before the Shattering, and it makes no sense whatsoever for it to do so as it both involves the long-departed Tuatha and is directly established as ending long before the Shattering.) I really don't like a lot of Chris Howard's work because it's full of stuff like this, where at best it's poorly worded, and at worst wildly out of measure.

So this means we get three options if we listen to the Scathach account (which, obviously, we shouldn't):
1. The Tuatha de Danaan depart about five minutes before the Shattering.
2. Scathach spends thousands of years between being born in the Second Fomorian War and going back in time and fighting in the Second Fomorian War (if the second war is the second defeat for the Fomorians and the same as the War of the Trees)
3. Despite being established as flowing with the waves of migration into Ireland, the First and Second Fomorian War occur millennia prior so that there's room for Scathach to spend millennia on Skye gitting gud and not have the War of the Trees take place immediately before the Shattering.

Or, of course, the way we already have to embrace to a certain extent, which is that time prior to 1349AD is Unreliable and Wibbly, and all of the above are true. But when you're not weaving that thread into the narrative, it's a sloppy fix, and a lot of this trouble is due to different interpretations of the original myths.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Choice of Games announced their next VtM game. Due on the 29th, first few chapters are out now:

quote:

You’ve barely settled into your new home of Jericho Heights on the outskirts of Chicago, before discovering that vampires live in town. You’re struggling to start a new life, meet new people, and maybe even find love. But when your neighbors start disappearing, you’re forced to take action.

Take on the role of a vampire hunter to save your town from the influence of Chastain, a vampire more than a century old. When a group of young thin-blood vampires start a war with Chastain, will you choose sides, or hunt them all?

Gather your forces and sharpen your stake to take back the night!
Play as male, female, or nonbinary; gay, straight, or bi.
Choose from classic VtM attributes and skills to build out your character.
Enjoy 17 character portraits.
Meet an ensemble cast of dynamic characters each with their own skills.
Romance other characters, either human or vampire.
Hunt vampires, study their ways, or try to be Embraced.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mors Rattus posted:

I know goons like to go ham on how deadly and scary the ocean is but that beach is apparently especially dangerous, to the point where public swimming was and is still prohibited. He was only able to swim there too because he had a special pass and it was normally restricted to military training operations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, the Scathach. An entire sidhe house of brooding badasses who can't leave battle until every enemy is defeated or they succeed on a Willpower roll. Add in they still get the +2 Appearance dots and they're like catnip to a certain player.

Scathach has become a really popular character in anime stuff in recent years too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Picturing Fate weebs merging with CtD fans and staring up at my ceiling in horror like Scatman Crothers in The Shining