Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Check this out on @Newegg: Skytech Chronos Gaming PC Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.60GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB, 16GB DDR4 3000, 1TB NVMe Gen 4, 750W Gold PSU, 240MM AIO, 11AC WiFi, Windows 10 Home 64-bit https://www.newegg.com/skytech-st-c...-149-_-07162021

I’d prefer someone else vet it before you buy it.

This is the only other viable option I'm seeing in this price range: https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali479/p...0-074-_-Product

$100 cheaper, with equivalent CPU, worse but still perfectly acceptable cooling, slower NVMe (probably won't matter?), and less upgradeable due to the lower capacity PSU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

No, that looks rather well ventilated, assuming it ships in that fan/cooler config. Top-mounted AIO, three front intake fans with a mesh front panel, and a rear exhaust. The CPU's gonna run cool, that's for sure.

Reviews say it doesn't come with XMP enabled in the bios (you really should do this), the pre-installed apps use a lot of CPU, and it looks like you're going to want to give the machine a thorough inspection to make sure everything inside is plugged in correctly before turning it on, but otherwise I don't see any glaring red flags.

The cooling looks quite good for a prebuilt. ABS is generally fine, and as far as pre-builts go rather well reviewed by GN. Individual units matter, but top mounted AIO, vented front with multiple fans is a good sign of someone who knew what they were doing.

On top of this other excellent advice, you should also nuke whatever windows is on there and clean install (this is standard advice for any pre-built).

Little fishes
Nov 12, 2010

All the little fishes
Hi PC building thread. Like a lot of posters, it’s time to build a new PC and all the tech and numbers have changed since the last time! Reading through the thread a recommended build seems to be emerging. It looks like I’ll need to do a little extra reading to get my head around RAM speeds and CPUs that like all 4 RAM slots filled rather than 2. I wanted to get some general advice on what to go for before I do deeper research. Unfortunately, I don’t have the time I used to so I’d love to copy a build that someone has used and identified any quirks/found optimum cooling.

What country are you in?
UK

What are you using the system for? If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use?
This is where some advice would be great. I do a wide range of things, often on budget/FOSS software so I am unsure if I’m better investing in a high clock speed over many threads/cores. I use the Linux subsystem a lot and I assume it has access to all the machine's resources. I’ve come close to making the switch many times, but key bits of software keep me on Windows.
Gaming is likely off the table for the next few years. I do a lot of varied stuff for work though:
  • Windows Pro
  • Document writing
    • Office apps, often media heavy, PowerPoints with lots of video
    • LaTeX
  • Statistics/data handling
    • R/Python data wrangling/statistics and some modelling
    • Batch processing of images (Python/FFMPEG)
    • I’d like to get into Computer Vision down the line
  • Video/Audio editing
    • OpenShot but may invest in something better
    • Reaper/Audacity
    • Batch conversion/processing in FFMPEG through the Linux subsystem
  • Illustration/editing - Wacom tablet
    • ClipStudio Pro
    • Inkscape
    • Gimp
  • 3D – Potential for future upgrades, will need a better GPU when the world settles down
    • It’d be great to be able to segment and work with micro-CT data but this may be a big ask
    • VR/AR could be a thing down the line
    • As could Machine Vision and Machine Learning although I'd probably train models on the cloud.
I wouldn’t call myself an advanced user on any of these fronts. I’m not processing terabytes of data, but I’d love to have some headroom, my datasets are only getting larger/higher resolution.

What's your budget?
I’d rather not go above £1,000 but it’s more about finding the point of diminishing return. I’m happy to invest in something I use every day but don’t want to throw money at imperceivable improvements.

Parts I already have:
  • Radeon 7950 HD (guessing this is still better than current integrated graphics?)
  • A SATA SSD (120 GB)
  • 3x 3.5 inch HDD
  • Mouse, keyboard, monitor etc.

Additional wants:
  • Case front USB-C, USB 3 and headphone jack (with no latency/quality issues relative to the motherboard jack)
  • As quiet as possible for recording (happy to switch to a power saving mode if that’s the easiest way to achieve this)
  • OS/software on a NVMe drive, was thinking of using the SSD as a scratch disk for what I’m currently working on and the HDD for storage
  • A smaller form factor would be great, last build is an ATX in a big case but may not be possible with that big GPU and 4 SATA drives
  • A motherboard with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
  • A smart way of mounting this under my desk away from pet hair (this may impact fan placement)

This comes across as really demanding but I wanted to be as detailed as possible. Feel free to tell me where I’m being deluded. After some sense checking I’ll try to get a parts list together for critique.

Thanks for any advice!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I recommend setting a max budget here. 1k£ is on the lower side (but doable) and your use cases will benefit from buying the higher end parts.

Little fishes
Nov 12, 2010

All the little fishes

I recommend setting a max budget here. 1k£ is on the lower side (but doable) and your use cases will benefit from buying the higher end parts.

If there's tangible benefit to be had I could go over as this will hopefully be a tax-break. Would £1,300 be a good spot? Very open to budget advice, thought I'd at least give a jumping off point.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Little fishes posted:

If there's tangible benefit to be had I could go over as this will hopefully be a tax-break. Would £1,300 be a good spot? Very open to budget advice, thought I'd at least give a jumping off point.

you can get a great pc for 1300 quid, sec. something like this config

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/awd-mb520-drgb-intel-10400f-6-core-43ghz-nvidia-rtx-3070-8gb-desktop-pc-for-gaming-ps112990-3758916

isn't entirely perfect (you'd need more memory at very least) but gives you an eyeball of what you can clear for that much money, or something on the ryzen side

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/amd-ryzen-36003600x3700x-rtx3070rtx3080-gaming-windows-packages-from-ps125000-at-palicomp-3764461

the 3600 config at least if your primary motivator was gaming or GPU AI stuff.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
or, on the cheaper side

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ry...alicomp-3764673

that's got some slightly goofy components in (the 3500X was an asia only 6 core cpu without hyperthreading, go figure) it and if absolutely nothing else i would insist upon you upgrading the PSU, but you'd be clearing a thousand i think.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Little fishes posted:

Let me be more clear.

Cab’s builds are great at your posted budget range.

But you could easily spend £2k-£2.5k and still see a genuine benefit. Your specific use cases will see real time abs speed improvements from all of the expensive high end components.

Ie high core count CPU, high end high VRAM GPU, high speed high capacity memory, high speed SSD, etc.

You’re pretty unlikely to reach a diminishing returns point on any budget you set if your original thought was £1k. OP doesn’t have a ton of advice on this cause we don’t run into it often.

Little fishes
Nov 12, 2010

All the little fishes

Let me be more clear.

Cab’s builds are great at your posted budget range.

But you could easily spend £2k-£2.5k and still see a genuine benefit. Your specific use cases will see real time abs speed improvements from all of the expensive high end components.

Ie high core count CPU, high end high VRAM GPU, high speed high capacity memory, high speed SSD, etc.

You’re pretty unlikely to reach a diminishing returns point on any budget you set if your original thought was £1k. OP doesn’t have a ton of advice on this cause we don’t run into it often.

That makes sense and thanks for the links Cab. The work stations I have used for micro-CT work are multi-processor, multi-GPU monsters that I could only dream of. Maybe I need to pump the breaks a little and get my wish list more reasonable?

I am happy to build myself (quite enjoy it) and to wait for GPUs to settle down. What if I went back to roughly £1k for a system without a GPU (using my old Radeon to drive my monitors until then) but plan adding a GPU down the line?

(I don't know if I'm being open to advice or frustratingly vague!)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
haha, any excuse to put a life wasted on hotukdeals to good use.

if you don't want a GPU you can put something together yourself to get a hell of a lot more CPU performance and avoid the prebuild entirely, that's only really recommended if you get an incredible deal, aren't comfortable doing the work yourself or want the peace of mind of a warranty or if it's GPU apocalypse times. GPU availability is currently trending upwards and that's bringing prices down a little but there's still a way to go. you could probably even config some REALLY goofy stuff, i mean:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/amd-ryzen-threadripper-12-core-1920x-35ghz-tr4-3754043

that's a secondhand threadripper 12 core, i mean a few generations old but for the purposes of discussion, that you could probably sneak by under a grand, quad channel 32 gigs with all new other parts (probably not a great motherboard but whatever). not that i'd suggest it but it demonstrates the incredible flexibility you have on that budget. as Pilfered put it your objectives can benefit from an arbitrary quantity of performance so it will be down to the compromises you wanna make.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
It’s hard to get good one-on-one comparisons sometimes - which ATX case would you recommend? A Corsair 4000D, or an In Win 101?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Your only bottleneck here is your budget. I am not kidding on that.

So if £1k without a GPU that’s helpful, but the more specific you are here the better Rec you’ll get.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Hasturtium posted:

It’s hard to get good one-on-one comparisons sometimes - which ATX case would you recommend? A Corsair 4000D, or an In Win 101?
The Corsair is quite a bit better in terms of airflow and compatibility, the InWin case is basically reliant on those bottom intakes.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Llamadeus posted:

The Corsair is quite a bit better in terms of airflow and compatibility, the InWin case is basically reliant on those bottom intakes.

Thank you! I wanted to like the In Win, but the Corsair is really solid overall.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I got all my parts and just froze because I realized it's been almost a decade since I did this last. Are you supposed to attach everything to the motherboard first before putting it into the case?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

LorneReams posted:

I got all my parts and just froze because I realized it's been almost a decade since I did this last. Are you supposed to attach everything to the motherboard first before putting it into the case?

Nope. There are a ton of videos on youtube but basically step one is to touch something metal to ground yourself, then motherboard in, CPU and cpu cooler on, RAM in (unless your ram goes under your cooler), case fans and drives in, SATA cables to mobo, front panel i/o cables to mobo, PSU in and PSU cable management, GPU in and then manage the cables from PSU to GPU. You can do this a few ways but this is what works for me. Don't forget to put the motherboard I/O shield in the case/on the mobo before you put the mobo in.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LorneReams posted:

It very much depends on your board and case and CPU cooler.

I prefer to put the board in the case first and everything else after, but that’s not always possible.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

VelociBacon posted:

Don't forget to put the motherboard I/O shield in the case/on the mobo before you put the mobo in.
Haha, I forgot that, it was pretty annoying. (But I think you don't really have to remove everything, so long as nothing else you added covered the mobo-to-motherboard screws.)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You can absolutely put the CPU and cooler in first, and even RAM. Doing so may be a good idea if the constraints of the case are tight and annoying to work in.

Hasturtium posted:

Thank you! I wanted to like the In Win, but the Corsair is really solid overall.

PC components run unreasonably hot these days. In the old days you could get away with all kinds of interesting designs with limited ventilation (though even 15 years ago I was dremeling in vent holes in some cases), but nowadays if your case isn't airflow oriented then it's junk. Which is kind of sad when you think about it. There are a lot of designs that I like that are just not viable. I think that In Win looks sharp, but the side vents are just not open enough to be conducive to good airflow. It's been one of the frustrations of mine when it comes to modern TDP-pushing component design.

If you're into the solid front panel design, you can also consider the NZXT 710 (but not the 510, that thing's an oven). The corner vents in the 710 are just enough to give adequate airflow with a triple intake setup (which it comes with default), while the vents in the 510 are a joke. The Corsair 4000D shows a similar principle; even with the solid front panel, those open slits on the front provide just enough airflow, assuming you have good fans. The open ventilation of the Airflow version is preferable, though.

edit: Ah, the InWin wants you to use the bottom fans for intakes and the side for exhaust? I think the bottom's open enough for intake, but there are two issues with this. First, in bottom-intake-only configurations, the CPU runs hotter since it's eating all the GPU exhaust (the GPU runs cool, though). Second, most of the airflow is going to be lost out the side before it reaches the CPU, I feel like. Though at this point, maybe we can consider the restrictive side vent design a feature so you don't leak too much air before it completes its circuit out the back.You should maybe even eschew the side fans altogether. It could potentially work with triple bottom intake, single rear exhaust.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 17, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I put the mobo on top of the mobo box. I put the cpu, ram and cooler on then. I grab the whole thing by the cooler and put it into the case, then I put the GPU in. :/ it works just fine and I've done it a number of times.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

change my name posted:

That CPU is pretty much top-of-the-line new new, don't worry about it. The front fans that suck air in from a solid pane of glass (there are no vents on either side either??) are hilarious, though

I wonder if this is the idea here - intake from a narrow slot on the top and bottom of the front panel. Since the case has a filtered mesh top, I'd just take the front fans and mount them as intake at the top. You wouldn't see the unicorn puke as well though, unless the case is on the floor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I have used and modified a fair number of cases over the last 20 years and have watched and read maybe too much content about cases, airflow, case mods, etc, and I've developed a little bit of intuition for case airflow and heat management as a result. But I still end up mystified by some of the poo poo SIs try to pull with their cases. It seems nobody who sells prebuilt computers actually understands anything about how computers operate.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They make IDE to SATA adapters for <$10USD if you really want to load up those 3.5" discs... :pcgaming:

Bit late to the party here but floppy drives aren't IDE. They had their own connector :corsair:

Edit: oh except this one apparently. 5.25" IDE floppy drive is a new one on me :shobon:

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 18, 2021

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

PC components run unreasonably hot these days. In the old days you could get away with all kinds of interesting designs with limited ventilation (though even 15 years ago I was dremeling in vent holes in some cases), but nowadays if your case isn't airflow oriented then it's junk. Which is kind of sad when you think about it. There are a lot of designs that I like that are just not viable. I think that In Win looks sharp, but the side vents are just not open enough to be conducive to good airflow. It's been one of the frustrations of mine when it comes to modern TDP-pushing component design.

If you're into the solid front panel design, you can also consider the NZXT 710 (but not the 510, that thing's an oven). The corner vents in the 710 are just enough to give adequate airflow with a triple intake setup (which it comes with default), while the vents in the 510 are a joke. The Corsair 4000D shows a similar principle; even with the solid front panel, those open slits on the front provide just enough airflow, assuming you have good fans. The open ventilation of the Airflow version is preferable, though.

edit: Ah, the InWin wants you to use the bottom fans for intakes and the side for exhaust? I think the bottom's open enough for intake, but there are two issues with this. First, in bottom-intake-only configurations, the CPU runs hotter since it's eating all the GPU exhaust (the GPU runs cool, though). Second, most of the airflow is going to be lost out the side before it reaches the CPU, I feel like. Though at this point, maybe we can consider the restrictive side vent design a feature so you don't leak too much air before it completes its circuit out the back.You should maybe even eschew the side fans altogether. It could potentially work with triple bottom intake, single rear exhaust.

That’s all true, smart, and incisive. I remember using some weird 90s cases with a Core 2 Duo and midrange graphics cards of the time and seeing pedestrian temperatures. Something tells me that wouldn’t be as tenable now.

My use case will be more forgiving than some: I’m assembling an 8 core (130W) Power9 in a Raptor Computing Blackbird motherboard, with a relatively dinky Radeon FirePro W7000 (~110W) pulling graphics duty for now. If I replace it later, it will likely be with an RDNA workstation model with comparable thermals.

The Power chip has high thermal tolerances and a solid reference cooler, and video is a lower priority than on my gaming machine, a relative inferno with a Core i9-7940x and an RTX 3070. The Corsair is a nice case, but I can’t reconcile the appearance of the Airflow edition… it’s just not an aesthetic I can get behind. The 4000D appears to be a pretty ideal solution; thanks again for the insightful analysis.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Just get a cheap case and keep the panels off. 'Aint beating that airflow.

:getin:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Is now still a bad time to look into building a PC? I asked in the old thread about upgrading to a new PC last year, something around early December. However, I was told that it would be better to wait until February or March for prices to adjust because of various issues. Obviously it's now July, but I looking into what it would cost to build or buy a new PC, and it sounds like there's still price issues/scalping with stuff like the RTX cards and such.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Max Wilco posted:

Is now still a bad time to look into building a PC? I asked in the old thread about upgrading to a new PC last year, something around early December. However, I was told that it would be better to wait until February or March for prices to adjust because of various issues. Obviously it's now July, but I looking into what it would cost to build or buy a new PC, and it sounds like there's still price issues/scalping with stuff like the RTX cards and such.

I have a similar question to this- I was thinking of building a workstation around a threadripper 3960x; are there any new processor lines coming out in the near future that's worth waiting for? I'm not in a particular rush.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The only difficult thing to buy right now is the graphics card. Everything else sells for msrp or cheaper.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Listerine posted:

I have a similar question to this- I was thinking of building a workstation around a threadripper 3960x; are there any new processor lines coming out in the near future that's worth waiting for? I'm not in a particular rush.

The rumours are around that the Ryzen 5000 series threadrippers are imminent, so might be worth waiting there in case those are worth an upgrade or if the 3000 ones get cheaper.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

The only difficult thing to buy right now is the graphics card. Everything else sells for msrp or cheaper.

In that case here are my present specs:

quote:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz 29 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (10-10-10-30) [Kingston KHX1600C10D3/8G DDR3]
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z97-A-USB31 (SOCKET 1150) 28 °C
Graphics
ASUS VP247 (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (EVGA) 34 °C
Storage
3726GB Seagate ST4000DM004-2CV104 (SATA ) 29 °C
931GB Crucial CT1000MX 500SSD1 SCSI Disk Device (SATA (SSD))
465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500G SCSI Disk Device (SATA (SSD)) 27 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0 SCSI CdRom Device

Here's something that I loosely conceptualized based off a computer build from Origin PCs, with some substitutions I made.

quote:

CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

Graphics
NVIDIA RTX 3060-Ti

Storage
Samsung 970 EVO SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB

Memory
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB

Motherboard
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi (MS-7C37)
OR

Granted, I don't know if all those parts are compatible, and this build is just something I made tentatively. Storage-wise, I though maybe I could carry over some of my drives from my current computer (provided there are enough bays).

Since the RTX isn't viable to get, I'm wondering what would be a good alternative.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The 1070 is still a perfectly fine card for right now, so don't feel in any rush to upgrade that if it's working fine. Just ask the usual questions about why you're after a workstation CPU like a 5900, if you're just planning on playing games on the thing you could save money to funnel into a better GPU down the road by sticking to the 5600X and a B550 motherboard.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

njsykora posted:

The rumours are around that the Ryzen 5000 series threadrippers are imminent, so might be worth waiting there in case those are worth an upgrade or if the 3000 ones get cheaper.

Awesome, thank you.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

njsykora posted:

The 1070 is still a perfectly fine card for right now, so don't feel in any rush to upgrade that if it's working fine. Just ask the usual questions about why you're after a workstation CPU like a 5900, if you're just planning on playing games on the thing you could save money to funnel into a better GPU down the road by sticking to the 5600X and a B550 motherboard.

In my original post, I put down the Ryzen 7 3700X and MSI Radeon RX 5700, and I was told it was better to wait until February/March and go for a 5600X and RTX 3080 to get a system that was way more powerful than the build I suggested.

I guess I just saw that the 5900X was 12-cores versus the 5600X's 6-cores or the 5800X 8-cores. In a discussion in another thread a while ago, and the topic of PS3 emulation came up, where they said that having a CPU with more cores helped with running RPCS3 (I'd have to try and go find the post to see what they said specifically). I'd probably be using it for gaming mostly, like you said, However, I had thought about trying to learn 3D modelling with Blender, and I though maybe the 5900X would help reduce render times. That said, I imagine the 5600 or 5800 would also make a dramatic difference compared to what I have now, and 3D modelling was just something I had thought about toying around with.

I dunno, on Amazon the 5800X is $400, and the 5900X is $550, and based on that, I though an extra $150 wasn't that much more for what seems like a substantially better processor.

I'm not in a rush to upgrade to a new system right this moment; it was just something I was considering. I can keep waiting to see if the RTX cards drop in price.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 18, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
For gaming, there is no benefit to the 5800/5900 over the 5600. You will get significantly more performance by putting that extra $150+ towards a better GPU.

The 5600 is faster, better, and cheaper than the 3700! The 5600 + 3080 is still the strongest price/performance combo.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i was under the impression most emulation needed single core but don't uh, quote me on that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Depends on the emulator and how it's written I think, but people have gotten PS3 emulation working on far weaker CPUs than any of the 5000 series Ryzens.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

For gaming, there is no benefit to the 5800/5900 over the 5600. You will get significantly more performance by putting that extra $150+ towards a better GPU.

The 5600 is faster, better, and cheaper than the 3700! The 5600 + 3080 is still the strongest price/performance combo.

I mean, the strongest overall price to performance ratios when going by MSRPs are the midrange i5-11400F and RTX 3060 TI, but the current cost of the 11400F is inflated quite a bit over MSRP, maybe because retailers recognize it's only marginally worse than the 5600X in gaming. In the current pricing situation, and considering Max Wilco wants something with better emulation performance, the 5600X is what I'd recommend anyway. I wouldn't recommend the $250 price increase for the 5900X. The 5600X is more than capable enough as it is. The 5900X might help a little in Blender, but I heard the CPU assist is kinda janky there anyway (sometimes the GPU will have to wait for the slower CPU to finish its task before moving on? something like that, take this with a grain of salt).

The 3060 TI does offer the best value per frame (as midrange cards often do), but this gen scaled up pretty nicely so the 3070 and 3080's MSRPs weren't too far off the mark, comparatively speaking. I say comparatively because the entire gen was maybe 10 to 20% overpriced out the gate. Still, at MSRP they're all decent values depending on how much power you want. There's nothing wrong with a 5600X and 3060 TI rig, if you can get your hands on one. Sadly, it's still a terrible time to be building a new PC. Maybe in six more months...

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 18, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I mean, the strongest overall price to performance ratios when going by MSRPs are the midrange i5-11400F and RTX 3060 TI, but the current cost of the 11400F is inflated quite a bit over MSRP, maybe because retailers recognize it's only marginally worse than the 5600X in gaming. In the current pricing situation, and considering Max Wilco wants something with better emulation performance, the 5600X is what I'd recommend anyway. I wouldn't recommend the $250 price increase for the 5900X. The 5600X is more than capable enough as it is. The 5900X might help a little in Blender, but I heard the CPU assist is kinda janky there anyway (sometimes the GPU will have to wait for the slower CPU to finish its task before moving on? something like that, take this with a grain of salt).

The 3060 TI, like midrange cards often do, does offer the best value per frame, but this gen scaled up pretty nicely so the 3070 and 3080's MSRPs weren't too far off the mark, comparatively speaking. I say comparatively because the entire gen was maybe 10 to 20% overpriced out the gate. Still, at MSRP they're all decent values depending on how much power you want. There's nothing wrong with a 5600X and 3060 TI rig, if you can get your hands on one. Sadly, it's still a terrible time to be building a new PC. Maybe in six more months...

The 3060 TI, like midrange cards often do, does offer the best value per frame, but this gen scaled up pretty nicely so the 3070 and 3080's MSRPs weren't too far off the mark, comparatively speaking. I say comparatively because the entire gen was maybe 10 to 20% overpriced out the gate. Still, at MSRP they're all decent values depending on how much power you want. There's nothing wrong with a 5600X and 3060 TI rig, if you can get your hands on one. Sadly, it's still a terrible time to be building a new PC. Maybe in six more months...

10-20% overpriced by pre-1080Ti standards.

By 2000 series standards? Price points were perfect this gen, if even maybe underpriced because the 2000/supers were so bad and so insanely inflated.

You can easily do blender on the 5600x. If your plan is to “toy” with blender, absolutely get the 5600x and shove the rest of that cash into the best GPU (but nothing above the 3080) that you can get. You can always upgrade the CPU if you really get into blender.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Maybe, but I don't like looking at the 10 series like it's ancient history, and I don't want to fully let nvidia off the hook for the 30 series prices just because the 20 series had especially awful value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

njsykora posted:

Depends on the emulator and how it's written I think, but people have gotten PS3 emulation working on far weaker CPUs than any of the 5000 series Ryzens.

The post I mentioned:

v1ld posted:

You could run it on your PC with emulation and capture there. Here's an image I captured running at 3440x1440 ultrawide.

It feels and plays great, runs at a locked 60fps and the game has no glitches at that higher framerate that I've seen. Loads are very fast from an SSD. Time from booting the emulator with DeS to being in game is probably 15-20 secs (emulator lets you skip intro videos). Level loads from/to nexus are 3-5 secs.

Needs a decent CPU / GPU, but nothing top end: Ryzen 3600 and an RX 5700 in my system. GPU is at 65-70% utilization all of the time, CPU is at 60-70% too which is about 3.5-4.5 cores on this 6-core. The number of cores seems to be a real limitation - RDR1 emulation for eg lags a lot and maxes out the cores where I suspect it could be perfect at 8 cores.

Worth checking out if you want to replay HD and don't have the PS5 or just want the original for whatever reason.

Actually, Demon's Souls emulated handles 21:9 ultrawide better than Dark Souls 3 - see how the HUD in the image moves to the edge without distortion. DS3 also has the issue with jerky animations outside the 16:9 viewport, not present in emulated DeS.

E: Multiplayer works too, thanks to the https://www.thearchstones.com/ server. This lets you set world tendency as you like by using specific messages, a cool and useful feature.

The post mentions the 3600 and RX 5700, but that you could improve performance with something with 8 cores.

The emulation thing isn't a critical thing, just something I was just putting it forth as benchmark of sorts. I don't think I could do it on my current system, though.

-

Like I said, I don't need to improve my system at the moment. The 5600X and RTX 3080 sounds like a good combo, so I'll try to keep it in mind when it becomes more viable to get the parts without having to pay inflated prices.