Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Does somebody want to make a steam deck thread already? If you don't I will. That's a threat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pentyne posted:

How many people rushing to buy this Steam Deck made fun of people for pre-ordering Cyberpunk 2077?

Tech and software is one of the worst things to be first in line for, especially the first edition of the model.

cyberpunk preorders are forever, early steam deck deliveries can be flipped on ebay for 2x markup

i made the mistake of buying the steam controller early but when i realised it sucked and put it on ebay it sold for a profit lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I also have realized that game pre orders don’t matter as people opinions aren’t going to match so waiting until after it’s out rarely matters.

Cyberpunk was a special case as it’s not like that happens terribly portend

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

pentyne posted:

How many people rushing to buy this Steam Deck made fun of people for pre-ordering Cyberpunk 2077?

Tech and software is one of the worst things to be first in line for, especially the first edition of the model.

Yeah, but the only thing about that is Cyberpunk was good, the Steam Deck will be bad

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

err posted:

Yeah, but the only thing about that is Cyberpunk was good, the Steam Deck will be bad

Nah even fully working Cyberpunk was bad but people knew that way before purchase it wasn’t a surprise

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mescal posted:

Does somebody want to make a steam deck thread already? If you don't I will. That's a threat

I'd be interested in seeing a steam deck thread, but not in making one. Please carry out your threat!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Mescal posted:

How dare you threaten us with a good time!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd be interested in seeing a steam deck thread, but not in making one. Please carry out your threat!

Ok fine https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973713 Steam Deck thred

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What stats does a Steam Deck give my Decker?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Infinite Karma posted:

Is it worth saving ~$25 (and hoping you can source the part that will inevitably be perpetually gobbled up) to do this pretty intensive modification to the system, instead of just getting the higher cost 256gb or 512gb models?

It’s significantly more than $25 in savings and it’s unlikely that deck modders are going to put a serious dent in stock.

That said, don’t do what I did and cancel your reservation to jump in a different line. “You already own this product”, so can’t check out! :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Stickman posted:

It’s significantly more than $25 in savings and it’s unlikely that deck modders are going to put a serious dent in stock.

Plus modding is the only way you can get a 1TB Deck, at least initially

(and as a bonus it ends up being cheaper than a factory 512GB Deck)

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Raffles posted:

This is a genius move from Valve because even if i don’t end up purchasing the steam deck when my time comes I’ll at least make sure to buy every game on Steam rather than another store for the next year just in case.

Reverse Osborne Effect

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
do we know if that gabe email was for sure legit, and whether gabe for sure understood the question?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

do we know if that gabe email was for sure legit, and whether gabe for sure understood the question?

it was real, after the gaben email was publicized they added it to the official specs page

presumably because they were getting a million emails asking for confirmation

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech

quote:

All models use socketed 2230 m.2 modules (not intended for end-user replacement)

all that remains now is finding out how hard it is to get to the m.2 slot

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

v1ld posted:

The Deck can run games from any PC store, not just Steam. It's one of the big differences from the big three consoles or Apple.

Technically true... but out of the box I'm pretty sure SteamOS is only going to run Steam games.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The KDE team said that it would use a Plasma desktop, actually. Which is quite the scoop for the KDE team. So getting non-steam stuff installed would be trivial.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

Technically true... but out of the box I'm pretty sure SteamOS is only going to run Steam games.

They've said you can Alt-Tab into the regular Arch KDE Plasma desktop, which means you can install itch.io or Minecraft or whatever.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

Itch.io said their store should work on steamOs

Also retro arch is on steam so you’ve got that too.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

KDE Plasma is great. If you're used to modern Windows desktop paradigms it really is just that. Arch also means access to their software repositories and the AUR, which are massive and up to date. Discord, Chrome, Spotify, whatever is easily installable in a pinch.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Apparently you can run the Windows versions of EGS/Uplay/Battlenet/etc on Linux/SteamOS through a project called Lutris, though I don't know how smooth that experience is

The one thing that's definitely off-limits in SteamOS is Gamepass because the Windows Store can't really be separated from Windows

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

Apparently you can run the Windows versions of EGS/Uplay/Battlenet/etc on Linux/SteamOS through a project called Lutris, though I don't know how smooth that experience is

The one thing that's definitely off-limits in SteamOS is Gamepass because the Windows Store can't really be separated from Windows

Xcloud should work though!

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

They've said you can Alt-Tab into the regular Arch KDE Plasma desktop, which means you can install itch.io or Minecraft or whatever.

MarcusSA posted:

Itch.io said their store should work on steamOs

Also retro arch is on steam so you’ve got that too.

Okay, that's pretty cool that those can work without installing Windows. I just assumed it was locked to the equivalent of Big Picture mode.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

repiv posted:

Lutris is just a front end for a bunch of programs and especially emulators. Its GUI is, frankly, terrible, but you can have games from a wide range of emulators in one interface (including wine, and including native steam and windows steam games).

//edit: Here's a KDE dev being excited about running on the N-Gabe: https://pointieststick.com/2021/07/16/this-week-in-kde-kde-powered-steamdeck-revealed/

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 17, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

repiv posted:

I would not put it past MS to work on getting Gamepass working on the deck by sometime next year. They've said they'd put it on the PS5 and Switch if they could.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

goferchan posted:

I would not put it past MS to work on getting Gamepass working on the deck by sometime next year. They've said they'd put it on the PS5 and Switch if they could.

The problem is compounded a bit by WINE not supporting UWP apps, so even if Microsoft rolled a standalone version of the Windows Store a good chunk of the apps on there wouldn't work

AFAIK a lot of the games on the Windows Store are UWP versions even if they have a win32 version on other launchers

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

goferchan posted:

PS5 and Switch have market share and getting Gamepass on them would ultimately hurt those platforms which is Microsoft's goal.

Making Gamepass available on the Steam Deck or Linux in general would probably help increase their market share, which is the opposite of Microsoft's goals.

Having said that, Gamepass already works in Chrome on Linux.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Unlucky7 posted:

Spoilery question about Prey, in the Crew Quarters: So I met up with Daniel Sho. Is the fake cook still in the crew quarters somewhere, or do I find him again somewhere else? No need to tell me exactly where; I still have quests to do in the area.

As an aside, I had crew tracking turned on to a certain volunteer so it made it super obvious that he wasn't who he said he was. Not that the game didn't make it abundantly clear anyway while you are running to the other room and back :v:

I mean, it is silly but I do appreciate how fair play it is.

Jerusalem posted:

You'll find him again elsewhere.

Thanks. One more question: Am I under some sort of timer to track him down?

Sorry for all the game specific questions. I would take it to the Prey thread but I do not trust a 4 year old thread to not be lax with its spoiler policies.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Sorry for all the game specific questions. I would take it to the Prey thread but I do not trust a 4 year old thread to not be lax with its spoiler policies.

If there’s ever a timer on a quest you’ll be given a countdown.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Unlucky7 posted:

Nope. It's pretty obvious when something is timed.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Two deadend mazes, help?
-The tiny electric metropolis in Bulletstorm, I kill the enemies then there's no where else to go
-The very first part of dark souls ii, I'm supposed to kick down two trees but I don't see them. I spent for a long time last night running around door, bridge, ladder, down, around again, other side

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Can't help personally, but I would just take a quick look at some video walkthroughs for easy answers

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

repiv posted:

Doom Eternal had the anti-cheat patched out after the negative PR it generated

It wasn't really any more invasive than EAC/Battleye but Reddit panicked and they decided it wasn't worth it

It really does not matter with just Doom. The fact the issue/problem of not being able to implement drm/anticheat is still common amongst other games in the steam library.

Bigger picture is what I'm looking at and Valve is definitely not hinting it will be fine and dandy when they already have a beta to prove it.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Mescal posted:

Two deadend mazes, help?
-The tiny electric metropolis in Bulletstorm, I kill the enemies then there's no where else to go
-The very first part of dark souls ii, I'm supposed to kick down two trees but I don't see them. I spent for a long time last night running around door, bridge, ladder, down, around again, other side

Walk up to the trees and it says ‘kick’ and you’ll kick them down.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Antigravitas posted:

Anything with a SteamPlay Icon is running natively. Anything without needs Proton. You can look at Protondb's most borked filter to find anything that just doesn't run. https://www.protondb.com/explore?page=0&sort=mostBorked

Though that list has a number of games that actually do work, but for a lot of people don't. Iirc Warframe just dies without a controller attached for some reason, NMS has weird render issues on some machines, multiplayer games with single player have split reports etc.

It's somewhat rare nowadays to have single player games that don't work, but multi player games typically require you to install a rootkit or use syscalls directly and that won't work.
i checked 150 games that i haven't beaten:

- 80 were listed as having native linux ports, or "platinum", meaning they run perfectly out of the box
- 45 were listed as "gold" (needing tweaks to run perfectly, ie messing with config files)
- 5 were listed as "borked" (not working at all)

The rest were mostly 'silver' which means they have issues. So 125 out of 150 that will run okay on it is not too bad, although I have to take those numbers with a grain of salt

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

pentyne posted:

The difference is that anyone preordering the Deck now (which is only one day after preorders opened) will be waiting at least six months after the first units ship to get theirs. That's a long time to see how things shake out at least in the early running and evaluate if they really want to go through with it.

If people actually wait until December to put in an order (or deposit, really) it will probably be at least a year after until they can get one.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The biggest difference is that a Cyberpunk preorder was the full price of the game while a deck reservation is $5 (which you still get back if you decide not to go through with the order).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

The rest were mostly 'silver' which means they have issues. So 125 out of 150 that will run okay on it is not too bad, although I have to take those numbers with a grain of salt
Especially when you consider, that the kind of person that's submitting compatibility reports to protondb, are Linux Guys who are already happy loving around and tinkering with stuff that halfway works. Lots of "Gold" compatibility games with reports like "works great, as long as you delete the DLL that renders the cutscenes"

Proton works, reasonably well, but unless they magically have a secret build up their sleeve that has way higher compatibility, its not something you can use with zero compromises.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Really enjoying Horizon: Zero Dawn. Some of the dialog and character interactions are cheesey and filled with tropes – and Aloy all but breaks the third wall pointing this out in her reactions!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Especially when you consider, that the kind of person that's submitting compatibility reports to protondb, are Linux Guys who are already happy loving around and tinkering with stuff that halfway works. Lots of "Gold" compatibility games with reports like "works great, as long as you delete the DLL that renders the cutscenes"

Proton works, reasonably well, but unless they magically have a secret build up their sleeve that has way higher compatibility, its not something you can use with zero compromises.

Yeah, I'd strongly lean towards just installing Windows on the Deck if you have no patience for Linux janitoring. It's going to work well up to a point, until it doesn't, and suddenly you're neck deep in the command line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Kibayasu posted:

If there’s ever a timer on a quest you’ll be given a countdown.

If I may rephrase a bit: if I put off a quest and proceed with the main plot or other side quests, will that quest expire?