Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
yeah that's very possible but i don't feel like debugging it any further, i've already reverted it. i use my onedrive storage via my backup software using the api directly and it works fine for that. preferable to do it this way anyway b/c i encrypt the data this way, anything i want to share or access at work i throw in dropbox instead.

for reference, it was some powershell modules and windows terminal that started making GBS threads the bed for some reason, both of which i use at work and at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

generally I think onedrive is great but it is extremely annoying it can't back up the documents folder in place

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i'm using it as a backup target for duplicacy and i'll continue to do so but yeah it's really bizarre it can't just backup the user documents folder. it's also super touchy about symlinks which i get but weird that it doesn't just ignore them and warn you about it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
the best part of Teams is that the current smiley set is based on the old school Skype smiley set and not the weird windows 8 era redrawn skype smileys

also the video calling is better and less crash-prone than webex in my experience

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm using it as a backup target for duplicacy and i'll continue to do so but yeah it's really bizarre it can't just backup the user documents folder. it's also super touchy about symlinks which i get but weird that it doesn't just ignore them and warn you about it.

i've never had any problems using ntfs junctions with the newer sync client. the old groove client can suck a gently caress, but nothing worked with that thing.

like, you can make ntfs junction points for all the folders you want backed up in the default onedrive folder and it will do it happily. you just can only share files/folders through there

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
all I can say is when I went through the “backup your documents with OneDrive” wizard it wouldn’t let me start the process until I removed the symlinks in my document folder. this wasn’t a cryptic error either it specifically said I had to remove them and listed them out for me

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i dropped a symlink and a junction in my onedrive and both worked, huh

but for some reason the status in explorer won't update so it still says sync pending despite the path contents definitely being synced and available via the onedrive website

vOv

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
ok i tried adding a file to both paths and the file doesn't sync, despite it happily syncing all the files when i created the symlink and the junction the first time

fwiw this is why i usually symlink in the opposite direction ie move the folder into the cloud sync folder and then drop a symlink where the local app expects to find it

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 16, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cold on a Cob posted:

all I can say is when I went through the “backup your documents with OneDrive” wizard it wouldn’t let me start the process until I removed the symlinks in my document folder. this wasn’t a cryptic error either it specifically said I had to remove them and listed them out for me

it will refuse if it can't access or move any objects in the target directory when you tell it to back up, since as you've noted, it moves the files to its own folder. if you just make symlinks in the folder its already created and don't use the "back up" option in the ui, it's fine.

if you created the symlinks in its folder while the client is running it gets a bit weird, but exiting the sync client and restarting it should fix the sync status, running "onedrive.exe /reset" definitely works

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

ok i tried adding a file to both paths and the file doesn't sync, despite it happily syncing all the files when i created the symlink and the junction the first time

fwiw this is why i usually symlink in the opposite direction ie move the folder into the cloud sync folder and then drop a symlink where the local app expects to find it

the only issue i've ever seen with this is if you were using windows backup for some reason, it omits onedrive/sharepoint sync locations from the backup, and it won't back up the objects from the symlinked path. so you wind up with backups that don't contain any of the data synced to the cloud.

this probably doesn't matter for most cases, but it's a thing

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
so basically it's touchy about symlinks like i said, got it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, it can't move an ntfs junction, so yeah in that sense it's touchy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

basically anything that requires privilege escalation will make the "back up" process fail. so if you have weird permissions on any folders, or in your case ntfs junctions (which can't be moved, they have to be removed and recreated pointing to the new location), the process will fail because the sync client runs entirely in the user context

it definitely doesn't have any mechanism for dealing with ntfs junctions natively though, it has no concept of them, because that's handled by the filesystem.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
weird. everything i'm dealing with here is in userspace and it partly works - like it synchronizes everything initially but then changes to the folder are just ignored.

i just tried onedrive /reset and it didn't fix it either

anyhow as i said before, not surprising. this is why in the past with any cloud sync client i would move the file/folder to the shared folder and drop a symlink to it in the original location for the app to use. works great for making a config file that normally lives in appdata somewhere syncable and permissions were never an issue this way.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
just because at this point i'm feeling experimental i have moved the contents of my ~\Documents folder to the onedrive Documents folder manually, deleted ~\Documents, and then created a symlink to the Documents folder in OneDrive in my home directory and so far things are working properly now :toot:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i'm just curious: what are you people doing that requires symlinks on Windows? and in your documents folder too?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

idk about cold on the cob's use case, but anything where you want to sync things that you don't want to keep in the default OneDrive folder structure. on my workstation this is mostly not an issue, i've just used it in a few cases where i have files that are on another drive that i want to have synced to my laptop

i've used it a lot in smb scenarios where they're keeping an onsite server for whatever reason, but want to put their shared files in sharepoint online libraries, since you can just create the library and then make an ntfs junction to the existing share without breaking any of the existing paths. it's handy during migration since you can migrate things while everything is live without any user impact, even if you're ultimately going to decommission the fileserver

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Workaday Wizard posted:

i'm just curious: what are you people doing that requires symlinks on Windows? and in your documents folder too?

backup and sync of config files where i don't get to control where they go

so for example i use an app named espanso that keeps config files in ~\AppData\Roaming\Espanso. i move the Espanso folder to my onedrive/dropbox/etc folder and then create a symlink at ~\AppData\Roaming\Espanso pointing to where i moved the folder. this way my config syncs across multiple PCs and all my configs are in one place so i back that folder up using my backup software as well.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Workaday Wizard posted:

being computer nerds

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

backup and sync of config files where i don't get to control where they go

so for example i use an app named espanso that keeps config files in ~\AppData\Roaming\Espanso. i move the Espanso folder to my onedrive/dropbox/etc folder and then create a symlink at ~\AppData\Roaming\Espanso pointing to where i moved the folder. this way my config syncs across multiple PCs and all my configs are in one place so i back that folder up using my backup software as well.

that specific use case works up until the first time you run the program on multiple machines simultaneously, at which point the sync client freaks out over the write lock and creates a second copy of the config file with the machine name appended on the end.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
yeah I wouldn’t do it with an app doing constant I/o but works fine for config files in my experience

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao did ms get the icloud devs to write onedrive??

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

infernal machines posted:

i had no idea they're still making powertoys. i though that died out with windows 7 for some reason

I asked a friend this same question and he said that they make a lot powertoys/other microsoft tools in internal hackatons but they have no market case so they just end up hidden among developer tools.

This is another neat one I found.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...6e-bef28aa6b50d

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I asked a friend this same question and he said that they make a lot powertoys/other microsoft tools in internal hackatons but they have no market case so they just end up hidden among developer tools.

This is another neat one I found.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...6e-bef28aa6b50d

oh yeah, mouse without borders works great. I’ve been using it for like ten years since it was in MS Garage

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

spankmeister posted:

I had a pc with Ubuntu 20.04 on it with no internet that I needed to install a graphical SQL browser on. I used to use MySQL workbench but that's no longer available in the repo's. Next I decided to install DBeaver but it's a snap now and the internal repo doesn't have snaps. So I ended up downloading the deb and sneakernetting it over USB.

Half an hour of wasted time later, I finish installing the deb and all the dependencies (g-d drat Java apps) and finally start up my SQL browser software and connect it to the MariaDB instance.

Syke, no I didn't because it doesn't come with any of the necessary JDBC drivers but don't worry it automatically downloads it from the web! :suicide:

Despite the effort and security holes, phpmyadmin has been amazingly good in my experience. Databases are always a PITA to work with though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the last couple days have been a wonderful journey of discovery into the world of uasp and how you can't turn it off without literally replacing the driver in windows, and most of the device chipsets that claim support actually don't to any real degree and will poo poo themselves inside out if you start actually using it to transfer large amounts of data.

on the device side, i get it, everything is cheap as poo poo and vendors don't test anything and no one gives a gently caress if it fails the second after the qc test. on windows' side, it would be nice to be able to force usb storage mode, or just disable uasp altogether without having to edit the registry to break the uasp driver.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

namlosh posted:

oh yeah, mouse without borders works great. I’ve been using it for like ten years since it was in MS Garage

I used to use this when I had two PCs at work and it owned, my coworkers used two mice and keyboards like cavemen and were like wtf when I just moved my cursor from one PC to the other

Power toys is also good, it lets you have predefined drop zones that snap windows at specific size/positions and you pretty much need this to work with a 32:9 monitor

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Microsoft released their cloud linux recently

https://github.com/microsoft/CBL-Mariner

so the 100% microsoft full stack solution for running a database cluster is to run Microsoft SQL Server (linux) on Microsoft CBL-Mariner (linux) on Microsoft Azure Sphere (linux) with switches running Microsoft SONiC (linux)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

microsoft cock and ball lashing mariner

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Clark Nova posted:

microsoft cock and ball lashing mariner

*perks up*

woah, is ms cool again?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Of all the major package managers out there RPM is probably the worst and I don't know why anybody would use it for a new from-scratch distro

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

this was a good explanation

SIKE

DITCH

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

It's 2021 and Microsoft is doing things still PLEASE CHANGE THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Share Bear posted:

It's 2021 and Microsoft is doing things still PLEASE CHANGE THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD

you mean releasing a linux os? title seems accurate still

oh, haha. 2020 is still in there i dont even see that anymore

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Share Bear posted:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

Of all the major package managers out there RPM is probably the worst and I don't know why anybody would use it for a new from-scratch distro

have you used portage

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Sapozhnik posted:

because SAP and other enterprise garbage only support RHEL/SLES

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

no one ever got fired for using rpm. and it is pretty fair that they don't as package management is pretty peak bikeshedding for linux opinion-having rather than fundamentally important.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

would be weird if ms didnt choose rpm for a cloud os

why would they choose anything other than what redhat use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Perplx posted:

Microsoft released their cloud linux recently

https://github.com/microsoft/CBL-Mariner

so the 100% microsoft full stack solution for running a database cluster is to run Microsoft SQL Server (linux) on Microsoft CBL-Mariner (linux) on Microsoft Azure Sphere (linux) with switches running Microsoft SONiC (linux)

sounds bad op .