Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There's no such thing as a boring basho, the ranking system means there's always going to be winners and losers, and it is a fool's errand trying to predict any of it. The last year or so alone has seen multiple instances of the lowest ranked maegashira win the yusho. Half the time the yusho winner is somebody you weren't expecting at all.

This basho has been great becaus it's a bit like the old days where there were multiple titans at once, something we've not had in a while because both Hakuho and Kakuryu (now retired) were out for an extremely long time.

At one point we had four yokozuna at once. Crazy times.

bear in mind one of those m17 yushos was from terunofuji himself as he worked his way back up the ranks from a serious knee injury. the other was from tokoshorū in a truly bizarre occurance during a yusho with 0 healthy yokozuna and a period where the old ozeki were rapidly dropping down the banzuke. goeido, takayasu, and tochinoshin all lost their rank one after another in sucessive bashos. it was kinda cool to have such an unpredictable period but on the same token it's nice to see the top two guys on the banzuke look like they're on a totally different level from everyone else this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
the no crowd basho was awesome too, it did feature no crowds but it was the last time both Hakuho and Kakaryu were healthy as well as having most of the basho dominated by AOIYAMA

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
:sickos:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My pet theory is that Hakuho is going to hold off retirement just to see if he can outlast Teru’s knees and yet again be the only Yokozuna standing :lol:

I’m joking, but only just.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There's no such thing as a boring basho, the ranking system means there's always going to be winners and losers, and it is a fool's errand trying to predict any of it. The last year or so alone has seen multiple instances of the lowest ranked maegashira win the yusho. Half the time the yusho winner is somebody you weren't expecting at all.

This basho has been great becaus it's a bit like the old days where there were multiple titans at once, something we've not had in a while because both Hakuho and Kakuryu (now retired) were out for an extremely long time.

At one point we had four yokozuna at once. Crazy times.

this is about the answer i was hoping for, thank you.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Maybe he'll just stick around to style on the other Ozeki who are clearly not Yokozuna material. Hell January was meant to be the Takakeisho Yokozuna run and he went 2-8 before withdrawing, and Asanoyama is banned for a year and should retire.

Hoshoryu is the only hope in the up and comers and he hasn't yet had a double digit winning basho and is probably the only guy who people have hope in as he hasn't embarrassed himself compared to the two yokozuna. Ura has the same current record as Hoshoryu but I don't think people think he will get to even sekiwake.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

lol. I've never seen such obvious and utter contempt for an opponent as 'competition' in a sport before.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Shiroc posted:

lol. I've never seen such obvious and utter contempt for an opponent as 'competition' in a sport before.

Every basho I keep hoping Shodai will show up with a bit of that Hakuho/Terunofuji-style mean streak and just start bullying guys. You see glimpses of it every now and again, but even during his Yusho and Ozeki run it was a rarity. When you're dominating and creative you're a sumo genius, when you're maddeningly inconsistent and creative it's labeled clown sumo.

In spite of everything, Shodai still came within an inch or two of winning last night

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It feels like Hakuho's won half of his fights this basho during the staredown. Tobizaru got so intimidated that he entirely forgot how to sumo, and Shodai wasn't that far off.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Hakuho's first scrap was the closest he came to losing a bout, and I think that was just him shaking the rust off after a year away. It certainly reflects well on Meisei who always puts in a good effort

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Every basho I keep hoping Shodai will show up with a bit of that Hakuho/Terunofuji-style mean streak and just start bullying guys. You see glimpses of it every now and again, but even during his Yusho and Ozeki run it was a rarity. When you're dominating and creative you're a sumo genius, when you're maddeningly inconsistent and creative it's labeled clown sumo.

In spite of everything, Shodai still came within an inch or two of winning last night

Shodai is just a weird rikishi because he's made it to ozeki cleanly. He's obviously very good on a relative scale at least. I just have no idea at what. Terunofuji is stronger than everyone. Asanoyama had solid fundamental sumo until horny jail (and did get ozeki cheap). Takakeisho's pushing attack is amazing when it hits. Shodai is just there with the NHK commentators occasionally assuring me he's very good at beltless sumo but it never looks that special to me.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Shiroc posted:

Shodai is just a weird rikishi because he's made it to ozeki cleanly. He's obviously very good on a relative scale at least. I just have no idea at what. Terunofuji is stronger than everyone. Asanoyama had solid fundamental sumo until horny jail (and did get ozeki cheap). Takakeisho's pushing attack is amazing when it hits. Shodai is just there with the NHK commentators occasionally assuring me he's very good at beltless sumo but it never looks that special to me.

Yeah, I keep having to remind myself that Shodai is good. He got ozeki after a pretty respectable string of five consecutive kachi-koshi runs that included 4 fighting spirit prizes and a yusho, and this will be his fifth basho at ozeki. He's come closer than anybody else to beating Terunofuji and Hakuho this basho. He's obviously very good at something, but I have no idea what it is.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Bruce at Tachiai describes Shodai as having cartoon physics sumo, and that's about right.

Vargatron posted:

I NEED a Meisei KK on the final day!!! Not quite sure if I'm on an Ozeki run in fantasy sumo, but I'm pleased with my stable's second week performance!

You're not on an ozeki run, but a strong showing this tournament will definitely put you on one. You're at M1e, so a winning record gets you into san'yaku!

Takuan posted:

This is my first time following sumo and I've really been getting into it. I understand there's special drama in this tournament due to the last glorious ride(though maybe not!) of an all-time great with Hakuhoand the rise of a new top guy in Terunofuji, but putting those to the side how does this tournament compare to the average in terms of overall entertainment? Trying to figure out how to set my expectations going forward.

I'd say this basho is just a hair above average in terms of hype/storylines, and maybe a hair above average in terms of exciting individual bouts. That said, every basho has its storylines and surprises, and there are always at least like 5 epic bouts with crazy outcomes. Sumo is a really good spectator sport.

Man she is really good at making sumo content.

We're right at the end for fantasy! We've got 8 rikishi going into the final day with 7-7 records, so the chaos continues. Looking forward to hearing special prize announcements.

Day 14 standings:

Makuuchi

code:
51	bartolimu
51	captainblastum
49	whats for dinner
48	MyChemicalImbalance
47.5	Everyones Favorite Poster
47.5	GoatSeeGuy
47.5	Lid
47.5	Skjorte
46.5	Kenning
46.5	scripterror
44	Charles Gnarwin
44	Dias
44	Vargatron
43.5	jmzero
43.5	Scythe
43	Maigius
43	Thauros
42.5	Brut
42.5	MalarkeyToboggan
42	bessantj
41.5	Pakled
41	Banana Canada
41	Chinook
41	Fluffdaddy
40	Beeswax
40	pseudodragon
39.5	anakha
39.5	Helianthus Annuus
39.5	Neodoomium
39.5	Tiny Bug Child
39	Tochiazuma
38.5	Teddybear
38	ratmosphere
38	Shiroc
37.5	Cage Kicker
37	Jobbo_Fett
36.5	Khizan
36.5	Liquid Communism
36	sivad
35.5	Biosys
35.5	Ice Phisherman
35.5	QuasiQuack
34.5	Marching Powder
33	Robviously
32	Crusty Nutsack
Juryo

code:
47.5	TwoWordName
45.5	KungFu Grip
42.5	LlamaTrauma
41.5	Bellwether
40	Netsky
33.5	Communist Thoughts
31	Eli949
31	NuclearPotato
30.5	Halloween Jack
30.5	Martytoof
29	ilmucche
29	rare Magic card l00k
27	Log082
20.5	Foehammer007
18.5	Glugglugs

Kenning fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 17, 2021

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

No matter how he does it Hakuho is cool

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have been steadily dropping after a promising early start, but once freed from the wakalbatross that was FORCIBLY HUNG around my neck and a few other questionable choices I will unleash a whole new and terrifying form of fantasy sumo on the thread. Mark my words.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Kenning posted:

I love Hakuho.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

As it is the traditional tirebreaker and I find myself, inexplicably, in a tie at the moment, I will predict that this basho's macaron will be YELLOW.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's PINK you fool

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I also think the macaron will be pink.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Going into the last day second to last and hoping for a white macaron.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Terunofuji

Fuji

Fuschia

The macaroon will be blue.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

If I could pick one moment from the basho to go into the NHK's closing montage, it'd be Tobizaru trying to make Hakuho flinch and him just completely blanking it.

Calling a pink macaron.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

gotta be white for a change to go with the new rope they're gonna have to make

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
it's going to be red as the rising sun.

at the end of the day i watch bashos for the sumo on display and there is always good sumo to be seen.

Khizan posted:

It feels like Hakuho's won half of his fights this basho during the staredown.

people new to sumo seem to disdain the tedium of the ritual but it's basically a pre-fight press conference and weigh in for a normal fight only done in complete silence and alongside an unchanging ritual. the head games being played are massive. hakuho didn't line up at the back of the dohyo to beat shodai. he did it to keep teru up at night wondering what the gently caress he's going to have to deal with besides the greatest yokozuna ever

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Teru is not someone who seems to be rattled easily, but if anyone can it's Hakuho, especially after a basho where he showed that despite his body being broken he still is by far the best in the sport.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

it's going to be red as the rising sun.

at the end of the day i watch bashos for the sumo on display and there is always good sumo to be seen.

people new to sumo seem to disdain the tedium of the ritual but it's basically a pre-fight press conference and weigh in for a normal fight only done in complete silence and alongside an unchanging ritual. the head games being played are massive. hakuho didn't line up at the back of the dohyo to beat shodai. he did it to keep teru up at night wondering what the gently caress he's going to have to deal with besides the greatest yokozuna ever

def gonna try to watch live for this to get the full experiemce

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kenning posted:

I'd say this basho is just a hair above average in terms of hype/storylines

I haven't been watching that long, but I'd put the storyline here at decently above average.

Terunofuji is capping an absolutely insane comeback after a demotion to jonidan. He went from M17e to M1e with a yusho, got komusubi in the next basho, made a successful ozeki run out of his first three matches at sanyaku rank, and then got yokozuna in his first two bashos as an ozeki. It's a literal goddamn speedrun of the sumo rank system.

Meanwhile, Hakuho has been too injured to compete for a year now, aside from his shaky three bouts in March, and the prevailing opinion about him was that he was just holding on so he could perform the dohyo-iri for the Olympics, and that he really should retire because his body just cannot stand the abuse anymore. When he announced he was competing in July, I think most people assumed he'd be kyujo by the fifth or sixth day. Instead, it's like he's been resurrected for one last basho, just so that Terunofuji would have some real competition.

It's just this perfect confluence of events. The strongest comeback run ever is running into the last stand of the greatest rikishi ever, and both of them are 14-0.

Eli949
Oct 23, 2008
Blue macaron. So hyped for this final day.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
The only basho that tops this for me personally is the tokushoryu yusho because it was like an underdog sports movie we grew up watching. For a sport where excess displays of any emotion are frowned upon watching tokushoryu conquer takakeisho and burst into tears isn't just one of the best moments in my sumo watching career, it transcends sport.

And it was my first basho.

I'm almost jealous of those for whom this is where they've chosen to start. Almost.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros posted:

couple lower division notes i want to point out as no one's mentioned them here in recent pages. abi's 7-0 in juryo, still undefeated since his return from suspension. is promotion to makuuchi possible if he gets a zensho from j14? guessing being at the top of juryo in september is more likely.

hokuseiho (hakuho's giant teenage protogé) is 4-0 at makushita 2 and the only undefeated rikishi left in the division. he'll certainly make is seikitori debut next basho

abi had some sort of calf injury and dropped his next three matches after that post. he recovered after that, and is now 11-3 and tied for the division lead with mitoryu. they've already faced off so there will be a playoff if they both win tonight. obv abi will not be making makuuchi from the bottom of juryo now but i'd recommend keeping tabs on the division in october if you have the time as he, enho, and hokuseiho should all be in it.

speaking of hokuseiho, he was 6-0 and had his final match on this morning's show. i was wrong about there not being any other undefeated rikishi in makushita, missed ishizaki at ms56. he had a sucessful collegiate sumo career and debuted with a perfect 7-0 record in sandanme at the last basho. both were 6-0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEUZNbJmiYU

hokuseiho won for a perfect 7-0 basho at ms2. he should get a p decent juryo seeding from that slot.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Khizan posted:

I haven't been watching that long, but I'd put the storyline here at decently above average.

Terunofuji is capping an absolutely insane comeback after a demotion to jonidan. He went from M17e to M1e with a yusho, got komusubi in the next basho, made a successful ozeki run out of his first three matches at sanyaku rank, and then got yokozuna in his first two bashos as an ozeki. It's a literal goddamn speedrun of the sumo rank system.

Meanwhile, Hakuho has been too injured to compete for a year now, aside from his shaky three bouts in March, and the prevailing opinion about him was that he was just holding on so he could perform the dohyo-iri for the Olympics, and that he really should retire because his body just cannot stand the abuse anymore. When he announced he was competing in July, I think most people assumed he'd be kyujo by the fifth or sixth day. Instead, it's like he's been resurrected for one last basho, just so that Terunofuji would have some real competition.

It's just this perfect confluence of events. The strongest comeback run ever is running into the last stand of the greatest rikishi ever, and both of them are 14-0.

yeah every basho has some intriguing storylines but this has been so perfectly booked it would seem a bit over the top and cliché if you did it in a sports movie

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I think its time for an orange macaron

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Goin' green.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Macaron will be white for the purity of sumo that is a future yokozuna contesting the greatest yokozuna for a zensho yusho.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Gold Macaron.

Hakuho will win with perfect Yokozuna sumo and be gracious with Terunofuji, stopping him from falling off the dohyo once it's clear he's won.

His interview will be stoic and dignified, a couple of tears as he realises the yushos he won were the friends he made along the way.

Then the macaron cones out. He wrestles it from the yobidashi, takes an enormous bite and, spraying the foam crumbs from his mouth, walks backwards down the hanamachi, flicking double birds.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Elissimpark posted:

Gold Macaron.

Olympic spirit, this is the correct answer.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

I swear Hakuho just rolled out of bed and chose violence, decided 'if this is my last basho, I'm slapping the poo poo out of Shodai'.

Going with the gold macaron as well!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
We will witness the greatest bout in the history of sumo. The kami themselves will appear in visible form before the audience to congratulate the winner. After a long mono-ii, the decision will be reversed due to an obviously inadvertent tape caused topknot pull.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I am of the opinion the two will manifest stands ala Jojo and the fight will take place on a separate yet inextricably connected plane of existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
a part of me hopes there's a henka just for how outrageous it'd be in the finals but also i kind of want to see both men line up at the edge of the ring for the lock up lmao