Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I don’t mind the backup camera in my 19 FiST. I’ve had no issues, and it comes through plenty clear. Sync3 is absolutely worth it though, just for CarPlay. I don’t have recaros, which is a shame, but I also didn’t want to wait around for a perfect car that might never appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Looks like I can get a 2014 for basically the same money as the 2015 I saw today with exactly the same miles, except black instead of Kona blue, but with the grey Recaros at least (too bad they’re not orange).

According to Carfax, it’s had 3 owners instead of 1 and it’s had one unspecified accident (that apparently resulted in a tow) in 2016.

It was sold right afterward to the second owner and then sold again in 2018. When it was sold in 2018 it was certified as a Ford Blue Advantage Certified Vehicle— not sure if that should make me feel a lot better about the car or a lot worse about Ford.

FWIW it looks like it was very regularly serviced by all three PO’s.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The only major issues I’ve heard of with FiSTs is the blend door actuator, a $10 part in the climate system that fails. I’ve never heard of engines blowing unless someone did some heavy mods, so you’re probably gonna be ok.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
The Recaros are one of the great things about the car IMO and I have to imagine it becomes heaps less fun to throw around without them.

Assuming you fit in them, absolutely get the Recaros if you really want to enjoy the car to its fullest.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

The Recaros are one of the great things about the car IMO and I have to imagine it becomes heaps less fun to throw around without them.

Assuming you fit in them, absolutely get the Recaros if you really want to enjoy the car to its fullest.

the regular seats I tried didn't seem all that terrible, but they deffo weren't heated

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Ok Comboomer posted:

the regular seats I tried didn't seem all that terrible, but they deffo weren't heated

The Recaros we get in Aus aren’t heated either, they’re fabric anyway here so no biggie.

I just loving love love love the deep buckets. I’ve never been so hugged by a seat, it’s so nice for chucking the car around.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

If you buy one without the recaros you might be able to pick up some from a pick-n-pull as those and the FoST (which I’m kind of assuming seat mounts will work cross platform but probably Google that) are cars that def got made in numbers but also hooned into poles and poo poo. Making the heated part work might be harder, but personally I’ve never used heated seats.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The FoST seat thing isn't plug and play, I looked into it when I had mine.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Spend more time in it, your feeling will change

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheBacon posted:

If you buy one without the recaros you might be able to pick up some from a pick-n-pull as those and the FoST (which I’m kind of assuming seat mounts will work cross platform but probably Google that) are cars that def got made in numbers but also hooned into poles and poo poo. Making the heated part work might be harder, but personally I’ve never used heated seats.

I’ve seen them around occasionally but they’re always filthy and have had the side airbag deployed

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I like the recaros a lot but I'm tiny, my wife can't stand them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Sync 2 was such dogshit Ford sent me a 130 dollar gift card like 8 years after the fact so don't buy a Sync 2 car unless you just plan to mount a phone and roll aux in, which is honestly what I would do.

the recaros were dope on the FoST but they are not for big people

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

I like the recaros a lot but I'm tiny, my wife can't stand them.

"sneaky you can have this dumptruck rear end or you can have the recaro seats, but you can't have both"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sync 2 was such dogshit Ford sent me a 130 dollar gift card like 8 years after the fact so don't buy a Sync 2 car unless you just plan to mount a phone and roll aux in, which is honestly what I would do.

the recaros were dope on the FoST but they are not for big people

my plan was to see how I managed just mounting a phone, but if I decide I hate it too much adding the cost of a nice upgrade kit is still less than/negligible vs getting a 2016 and way cheaper than a 2017+

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
but i want both. :mad:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Nomyth posted:

Interesting timing on that, we're in the media week leading up to the rescheduled Chicago Auto Show and when I get there I will have...questions

Trip report:
-VW announced the ‘22 GTI and R and then took the hatches home before anyone could touch them, poo on VW
-Chevy had a Spark and it was sad to see as the only non-lifted budget subcompact on the floor
-‘21 Civic hatch is good, actually—they had the ‘22 sedan but hatch wasn’t ready yet. No Si or Type R at show but we never get those anyways in the heart of Suburbia (maybe the Si). I wish I was old enough to touch the magic when the Miata debuted
-Toyota super-coy about what we’re getting instead of GR Yaris. Please continue to enjoy the sportily-styled Apex Corollas
-No Mazda, no Hyundai, no Audi. RIP

Non-hatch related things:
-BMW had all of 6 cars they could get to bring from local dealers. There was both an M3 CS and M4 CS, but the M3 was the color of Mountain Dew. A perfect fit for an idiot like me who by all other fates shouldn’t be in this socioeconomic class (I’m still waiting for the ‘22 2-series)
-Subaru didn’t use vehicle stickers because apparently those are evil and kill the earth. They also had puppies in a playpen in the middle of their exhibit
-Kia had some badass electronic displays for vehicle stickers. The new logo makes the IA in KIA look like a backwards N
-I am now a product segmentation conspiracy theorist, because I think the reason Subaru won’t make a WRX wagon is because they think it will undercut the Onyx-Edition-and-up Outbacks. Nevermind that Outbacks are 500 pounds heavier. (I test drove a base Impreza and Onyx Outback)
-Also I’m new to this but the ‘22 BRZ can hold stuff if you fold down the fake-for-insurance rear seats, as long as you can deal with the small trunk opening.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I loving love BMWs new mountain dew color and I'm praying the m2 gets it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

"sneaky you can have this dumptruck rear end or you can have the recaro seats, but you can't have both"

you really gotta sit in the FoST/FiST Recaros to see if you like them or hate them

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Nomyth posted:

Trip report:
-VW announced the ‘22 GTI and R and then took the hatches home before anyone could touch them, poo on VW
-Chevy had a Spark and it was sad to see as the only non-lifted budget subcompact on the floor
-‘21 Civic hatch is good, actually—they had the ‘22 sedan but hatch wasn’t ready yet. No Si or Type R at show but we never get those anyways in the heart of Suburbia (maybe the Si). I wish I was old enough to touch the magic when the Miata debuted
-Toyota super-coy about what we’re getting instead of GR Yaris. Please continue to enjoy the sportily-styled Apex Corollas
-No Mazda, no Hyundai, no Audi. RIP

Non-hatch related things:
-BMW had all of 6 cars they could get to bring from local dealers. There was both an M3 CS and M4 CS, but the M3 was the color of Mountain Dew. A perfect fit for an idiot like me who by all other fates shouldn’t be in this socioeconomic class (I’m still waiting for the ‘22 2-series)
-Subaru didn’t use vehicle stickers because apparently those are evil and kill the earth. They also had puppies in a playpen in the middle of their exhibit
-Kia had some badass electronic displays for vehicle stickers. The new logo makes the IA in KIA look like a backwards N
-I am now a product segmentation conspiracy theorist, because I think the reason Subaru won’t make a WRX wagon is because they think it will undercut the Onyx-Edition-and-up Outbacks. Nevermind that Outbacks are 500 pounds heavier. (I test drove a base Impreza and Onyx Outback)
-Also I’m new to this but the ‘22 BRZ can hold stuff if you fold down the fake-for-insurance rear seats, as long as you can deal with the small trunk opening.

I want the new BRZ bad for some reason. I waffle constantly about buying one last ICE car or just keeping the gti and driving it into the ground.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nomyth posted:

the fake-for-insurance rear seats

This is an urban legend and doesn’t actually have any impact on rates

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I want the new BRZ bad for some reason. I waffle constantly about buying one last ICE car or just keeping the gti and driving it into the ground.

porque no los dos? get a miata instead of a brz and then you won’t feel like you’re overdoing it on cars

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Nomyth posted:

-‘21 Civic hatch is good, actually

Careful, that's a hot take around these parts

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This is an urban legend and doesn’t actually have any impact on rates

The two vs four door thing is real though, right?

Really it’s all a wash for this thread. Everybody’s talking about hatchback econoboxes, so insurance should be on the absolute floor.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dr. Lunchables posted:

The two vs four door thing is real though, right?

Really it’s all a wash for this thread. Everybody’s talking about hatchback econoboxes, so insurance should be on the absolute floor.

It is not, at least not for that specific reason. If a 2 door variant of a car had more accidents (frequency) and/or causing more damage (severity) then the rates may be higher.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I don’t have any basis for the number of seats/doors thing vs. rates, it’s hearsay for me too

The best hearsay I know is from back when the Scion tC was still a thing before the 86 reboot—insurance rates for it were sky-high because of reasons which I attribute to everyone driving one was/is an rear end in a top hat. It’s one of the reasons I view the BRZ as better even though it’s the same as the 86, just because Scion touched it at one point

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
just to be clear: it's me. i wanted to be the rear end in a top hat too

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Test drove a FiST with the recaro seats- they do not age/take abuse well. The thigh bolster was totally collapsed, but otherwise yeah I get the appeal. Very supportive, nice heating element.

Except that they make it impossible for me to comfortably manspread.

Ultimately I drove 4 hours to see this car in the best color (orange) with the special seats, and it wasn’t worth the $2K over the kona blue one I saw on Sat.

The car’s kinda rough and quite rusty up close. The PO tried to hook up a backup cam and hosed up the trim inside the hatch. None of the seats are clean. Something was done to the blowoff valve to make it sound like a clown’s small orgasm every time you get off the throttle. I drove to Jersey for this.

Think I’m gonna pull the trigger on Sat’s car. Kona blue’s a great color but I’m bummed about all the Great Pumpkin jokes I won’t be able to make.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

do you guys not think that massive teams of insurance company actuaries have access to a tremendous amount of data and spend huge amounts of time optimizing loss models?

no probably they look on a little piece of paper where they've written "2 doors is cost more than 4"

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do you guys not think that massive teams of insurance company actuaries have access to a tremendous amount of data and spend huge amounts of time optimizing loss models?

no probably they look on a little piece of paper where they've written "2 doors is cost more than 4"

Red go fast more money cost

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

It is not, at least not for that specific reason. If a 2 door variant of a car had more accidents (frequency) and/or causing more damage (severity) then the rates may be higher.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's amazing that the "Less doors/more cylinders = more insurance" myth has held on my entire adult life despite never being true

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No.

Yes.

It’s an easy short hand though.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Probably a stupid page but here are some cars with maybe some data for risky behavior

https://www.insure.com/car-insurance/insurance-sleepers.html

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

My 1.0 Focus cost more to insure than my Elantra GT Sport, and my Volvo 240 wagon was more to insure than a similar-year RX-7. Insurance is weird.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dr. Lunchables posted:

It’s an easy short hand though.

its not because its not correct! short hand stuff is useful to decision making and this is... not

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its not because its not correct! short hand stuff is useful to decision making and this is... not

There’s really no decision making on the consumer side though. So… eh, whatever. Sports cars cost more to insure, in general. They also tend to have larger engines and less doors. Again, it’s all immaterial here, in the hatchback thread.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

confuse the insurance companies, buy a veloster

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Part of my decision to get the Type R was that a bunch of insurance companies just classify it as a Civic Hatchback, so the insurance was half that of a Mustang GT and significantly less than the GTI or Veloster.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

RIP Paul Walker posted:

My 1.0 Focus cost more to insure than my Elantra GT Sport, and my Volvo 240 wagon was more to insure than a similar-year RX-7. Insurance is weird.

Do you like the GT Sport? I bought my Si instead of a GT Sport and often thought I should've bought the Elantra instead.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

prom candy posted:

Do you like the GT Sport? I bought my Si instead of a GT Sport and often thought I should've bought the Elantra instead.

You probably should have, even if only for the infotainment that works properly and has a volume knob. Overall, I like it a lot. It sort of feels like a a modern FWD take on a 90’s BMW and a 90’s Japanese car. It’s the exact opposite of the ‘22 Mini Countryman I have as a rental right now, which is a no-CarPlay, charmless, badly designed, and hard to use piece of poo poo.

I got the tech package with DCT, and the massive sunroof, cooled seats, and infinity stereo make it feel like a premium car. Adaptive cruise control is pretty good, as is the easy-to-disable-and-stays-disabled lane-keep assist. Normal people are nonplussed by the boring exterior (mine is silver) and impressed when they get inside. I have other enthusiast cars to scratch my enthusiast itches, but as a daily I can’t think of much I’d rather own if I’m the one footing the fuel and future repair bills (otherwise I’d have a newer Lincoln Continental). It’s the longest I’ve owned a daily driver. It’s got about 33k on it, and two cross-country drives under its belt.

Flaws: Factory tires are bad, but not so bad that they demand immediate replacement. The DCT is brilliant 80% of the time, the 20% where it’s not is charming rather than annoying. Traction control calibration sucks, stability control calibration is fine unless you’re really trying to make the car move around. Thankfully both can be disabled with a visible and easy to access button. Fuel economy can be great, but the tank is small if you decide that quicker driving is appropriate. Also, past a certain speed it feels like it turns into an aerodynamic brick wall, ruining fuel economy more than other cars I’ve driven. Warranty (painlessly) took care of a headliner rattle and lumbar cushion that broke. The key had a rubber coating on it that feels nice but gets nasty after a short period of time. As it’s broken in, it’s felt nicer and nicer to drive, so if anyone is local to PDX and considering one, I’m happy to let you have a go.

Overall, it’s super easy to recommend cars like Hyundai/Kia put out because they’re normal conventional cars with proper shifters, volume knobs, and other poo poo you’d expect but don’t get in crap like newer BMWs. I tried to avoid making this a wall of text bitching about some cars these days but it was hard.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Nice review! I ended up buying the Honda out of brand loyalty and it sounds like that was a mistake. I'm in a GTI now though so at least there's a happy ending. If I bought the Elantra I bet I would've kept it an extra couple years though. Live and learn.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

prom candy posted:

Nice review! I ended up buying the Honda out of brand loyalty and it sounds like that was a mistake. I'm in a GTI now though so at least there's a happy ending. If I bought the Elantra I bet I would've kept it an extra couple years though. Live and learn.

I really considered a GTI but getting one with adaptive cruise (my commute was lots of stop and go traffic) was 10k more and driving it felt too boring unless you’re caning it, plus I’d spent far too much time working on VWs over the years and even the top trim seemed like VW wanted to make you feel like you were on a lower rung of the ladder. I also considered a used S3 but getting one with CarPlay was way too expensive at the time. The Civic Sport was on my radar until I drove one, the front end felt like a worn out Audi A4 and the capacitive infotainment controls were a hard dealbreaker. Same issue with the ATS I drove, who the gently caress green-lights these things with probably literally fatal flaws? I know GM had an engineer die when they crashed fiddling with the Reatta’s touchscreen so you’d think they would know it’s dangerous and stupid.

For the record, I got my 2018 EGT Sport in January 2019 for 24.9k OTD. Price and warranty were both definitely factors in my decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It totally makes sense to buy a lower performing milder hatch with better features etc for less money if you have other performance cars - hence my decision to buy a lightly tuned Alltrack rather than a true hot hatch. A lot of people are looking for on car to do it all, though. Not sure the Alltrack would cut it in those circumstances.