Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The Korina collector’s edition is even dumber than that. They relic’d them. Not that I care about those ugly guitars but they apparently did all this work to make sure they were historically exact, right down to what kind of knobs they used back then, laser scans of a few they found to serve as blueprints for neck profiles, they even used Brazillian Rosewood fretboards from their limited stash they have from back before the wood was made totally illegal to procure... all that dumb poo poo.

Then they relic them. They go and bang the drat things up so they look “like they were made in the 50’s” or whenever they were made.

I mean to me, the concept of relicing guitars is fine. Some guitars look great beaten to hell. But these korina guitars, whose entire appeal seems to be 1. their rarity and 2. the korina wood they’re made from, seem like they’d be way more appealing as pristine than pre-beaten up. But either way there’s only 19 being made or whatever hilariously small number so who cares.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

To be fair it's Summer NAMM which is usually pretty dead as far as real exciting stuff goes

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

?
"Well, we got some new custom shop guitars based on people no one really gives a poo poo about!"

We know it’s cool to hate Gibson, but this cool poster means Toni Iommi and Jerry Cantrell are famous people nobody cares about.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

duodenum posted:

We know it’s cool to hate Gibson, but this cool poster means Toni Iommi and Jerry Cantrell are famous people nobody cares about.

As a big fan of Sabbath and AiC, yes, I stand by that :smug:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

syntaxfunction posted:

This is the dumbest poo poo. I thought Gibson was trying to lean *less* on the broke brained boomer market?
It's chuddy boomers and gen-x'ers all the loving way down, fam. Most other peeps have no loving money to spend on... well, hold on...

gently caress me, :laffo: lame. (Search was "Gibson Les Paul Standard 2021", filtered to "Brand New", for anyone curious)

The most I've spent on guitars was, like, $700-800 or so and that was for:
  • A new Korean-made PRS SE from late 2017.
  • A new LTD Stef Carpenter 7-string when it first came with the Modern Fluences (2016, IIRC). Apparently they haven't done another run on any other Stef guitar aside from the lame 20th Anniversary 6-string one that the fucker doesn't even use because he stopped using 6-strings altogether in like 2002 or something. This was after my touring boss back then had paid the 300 deposit, though, so it may be cheating.
  • My first 8-string (an Ormsby Hype-GTR).
I am, however, getting another Ormsby, but that's a secret. :ssh:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah no poo poo, prices are hosed. I know used prices on guitars are ridiculous right now but Gibsons especially.

This is the Pelham Blue version of my guitar. Mine is in mint condition. Mine is also Ebony which is more valued for that model.

I bought mine for AU$2500. When it pops up it's almost AU$4k. That's loving ridiculous. I love my LP but holy gently caress I would never pay that much for the dang thing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think the only guitar for which I would shell out some serious moolah would be for a lefty version of a Larrivée RS-4

The RS-2 (on the left) that I got as a payment for helping with a small session is still the best drat 6-string I've played as far as just balls-out sounds go.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Wark Say posted:

I think the only guitar for which I would shell out some serious moolah would be for a lefty version of a Larrivée RS-4

If you're like me you always look twice at left handed stuff, because holy poo poo it's left handed! This did lead to me shelling out moolah for an instrument way above my skill level though, quite dangerous in that aspect.

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere
It's funny with lefty gear as you usually pay over the odds, but now and again you get a bargain on stock that wouldn't sell. Got a great deal on a Taylor 12 string, I don't often play it though :(

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Speaking of stock that wouldn't sell... I was in the local music store the other day, looking at keyboards. I should have seen if they still had that Gorky Park guitar that was there 30 years ago.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Why do sites like eBay and Reverb give accepted offers 2-3 days to make the payment? You made the offer, I accepted it. Gimme my drat money so I can get this thing shipped.

I have no chill for this. If a dude takes forever to pay it's often going to be a bad time for me, in my experience.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

bees x1000 posted:

Why do sites like eBay and Reverb give accepted offers 2-3 days to make the payment? You made the offer, I accepted it. Gimme my drat money so I can get this thing shipped.

I have no chill for this. If a dude takes forever to pay it's often going to be a bad time for me, in my experience.

I'd assume they have a blanket policy to allow the customer a couple days to pay no matter how the deal was made, whether it was an auction, bin, or best offer. But yeah it's annoying the most trouble I had on Ebay was people accepting best offers and then ghosting without paying.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Ebay specifically doesn't give a poo poo about you as a seller. They haven't for a looooooong time.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

IMO listings should stay up until money exchanges hands. Sure I'll take your offer but if you sit around for days someone else may grab it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It really sucked when you had to wait for someone to send a money order. I was already disorganized enough, having to keep those orders straight made selling records a lot less fun.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
https://youtu.be/kZYBXeF3nT0

We played the Tetris theme this week

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Mad Dragon posted:

Speaking of stock that wouldn't sell... I was in the local music store the other day, looking at keyboards. I should have seen if they still had that Gorky Park guitar that was there 30 years ago.

Haha, I remember this thing from back in the day

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Noise chat on the last page reminded me of this video from Samuraiguitarist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6E0O8UtObU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Wark Say posted:

The RS-2 (on the left) that I got as a payment for helping with a small session is still the best drat 6-string I've played as far as just balls-out sounds go.

Huh, I had no idea they made electrics. My wife received an LV-09 as a graduation gift from her dad and I always feel unworthy playing it.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

from local cl, its a squier JM w/ a bunch of extra poo poo on it but this made me lol

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
dont post my private pictures

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e: nvm lol, he's in his boxers. :mmmhmm:

User Error posted:

Huh, I had no idea they made electrics. My wife received an LV-09 as a graduation gift from her dad and I always feel unworthy playing it.
I think they stopped a while ago, which is why the electrics are so friggin' hard to find nowadays. :sigh:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 28, 2021

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

he needs to sell the guitar so that he can buy a shirt

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

he needs to sell the guitar so that he can buy a shirt

Offer him a shirt as a trade

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbCG6EJ7rvc

this might be the most understatement achieved by a thumbnail ever made. strap in nerds

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

What awful awful music, sounds like Savage Garden or some poo poo

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I see music youtube has caught up to video game youtube of a decade ago where you can't just have a channel where you do poo poo, you have to film your alter ego having adventures

at least I assume that's what's going on, I have no idea who this doofus is

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

he needs to sell the guitar so that he can buy a bra

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

hexwren posted:

I see music youtube has caught up to video game youtube of a decade ago where you can't just have a channel where you do poo poo, you have to film your alter ego having adventures

at least I assume that's what's going on, I have no idea who this doofus is

It's like a weird siren song youtube lures info/education-tubers with. "I should do skits". I've never seen it work but they keep trying.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Pondex posted:

It's like a weird siren song youtube lures info/education-tubers with. "I should do skits". I've never seen it work but they keep trying.

Gotta add those minutes to get the precious midroll ads.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
One of our amp techs has been working on a private project inevitably destined for this thread. It's a 20 watt amp, but the preamp is based on a Muff circuit with a tube boost stage and two band EQ around it. I'm going to try get some clips off him when he's done.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I love small watt amps. At home the highest I have is a Marshall AVT50. Everything else? 20 or 25. I am definitely getting a 100-150 watt head soon, though, because I wanna test a theory.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Pondex posted:

I can imagine that years of being yourself on camera (even if sort of an act) Thinking of totally fictitious stories and concepts would be refreshing instead of constantly trying to figure out how to make your life CONTENT

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Fors Yard posted:

I can imagine that years of being yourself on camera (even if sort of an act) Thinking of totally fictitious stories and concepts would be refreshing instead of constantly trying to figure out how to make your life CONTENT

I also blame creator academy and YouTube's "guidance" - once a creator hits a certain number of subscribers the awkward shoehorning in of relatable content and calls to action begin. Like, I get it, they gotta eat and part of that is growing to be mainstream, but it always makes me a bit sad inside when out of nowhere the snazzy intro shows up, the forced wacky "oh no, things went off the rails!" moments happen every time until every creator is crammed into the same mold for their genre.

I still wonder with Andrew if it's him trying to (pardon the pun) space out the music a bit with this content because of burnout. Or maybe he's lost his original demo which was a lot less extended talk on synths and a lot more silly light content and he's trying to go back to it. I mean, he did first hit it big with "pink fluffy unicorns dancing on rainbows"...

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

stillvisions posted:

he did first hit it big with "pink fluffy unicorns dancing on rainbows"...

LMAO I didn't realize he was that guy. I've said it before but Andrew Huang is really talented, and his talent is making music that I can't imagine anyone on earth wanting to listen to.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

He also gets hired to do video content for brands. I'd imagine this series showcases a lot of his skills beyond just making goofy tunes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don't understand what he's going for, but if he's done even a portion of the production on that series it's an insane flex and CV piece. Wouldn't be stunned if he ended up working on TV/Film in some capacity.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

i have no doubt that the guy who wrote that is doing exactly what his heart wants to do even if it doesent speak to me at all.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

well why not posted:

I don't understand what he's going for, but if he's done even a portion of the production on that series it's an insane flex and CV piece. Wouldn't be stunned if he ended up working on TV/Film in some capacity.

That's probably it. Afaik he had a child recently so he probably need something more stable than dicking around on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

But thats the thing though, this is like advanced level dicking around on YouTube. To me it strikes as too goofy not to be sincere, I dont think there necessarily has to be future job placement angle to it (beyond that being a successful YouTuber itself is lucrative as hell)

e; plugging his channel into a quick and dirty calculator outputs his YouTube earnings as $1,283 average earnings per video $764,462 total earnings. (which doesn't count brand placement or sponsorships) he's making more money that 99% of touring career musicians do by loving around with a green screen spaceship and demoing gear.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 3, 2021