Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A taller/stiffer boot will help but another thing that can help is strengthening the ankle, assuming it's something suitable for you to be doing. Standing one foot on a pillow might be enough to start out with, and if it goes well a balance bubble would be the progression.

Basically create a little instability to make the ankle work and strengthen the muscles and it'll be less likely to collapse on you when at weird angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testifeye
Sep 24, 2004

maroon moon

Dick Burglar posted:

I've got a busted body as well and was at REI the other day. I asked a salesman about the Speedgoats in particular. He gave the traction and the shoe in general high praise. I'd be curious to hear more about the Hokas and alternatives. I was recommended the highly cushioned Hoka Bondi running shoes by a podiatrist and orthopedist for daily use, but I'm open to other brands for hiking if they do the job better while still providing some extra cushioning.

Edit: also, I have full-size shoe inserts because I am a supinator, and AFAIK fuckin nobody makes shoes for supination, only flat feet and pronation. So any shoe I'm gonna wear for long periods of time, especially in rough terrain, needs to be able to fit the inserts.

I love my Speedgoats. I trained in them for a year for running and backpacking, and they were awesome. I did the Wonderland (93 miles, 24000 ft gain and loss, varied terrain and river crossings) in them with no blisters and healthy feet. Just got a new pair for this season.

Footwear is really personal and I think trial and error was what I needed to find my best arrangement. I like REI for that because I can return shoes even after trying them for a reasonable stretch.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

One thing I want to talk about regarding hiking shoes/boots: when I was hiking in Big Bend recently, I noticed that when I had trouble with my footing on the trails, my ankles would end up wobbling like crazy. I have a history of being clumsy in my footing. Would getting a mid- or boot-length shoe help stabilize the ankle and/or prevent ankle injuries from stumbling and rolling an ankle?
I believe trekking poles make a bigger difference for stability than any non-mountaineering boot, and wearing a solid plastic boot that blocks ankle movement doesn't sound fun for normal hiking. Get poles: the Costco ones (if you can find them in-store) are a great bargain, or just about any model is fine to start with.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kinda weird - the campground I'm going to is in a national forest. Barely 1.5 miles away, another campground is in a state park and provides food lockers. Palomar Mountain, for anyone familiar. This is not serious bear country, though some black bears have occasionally been spotted.

Should I be taking extra precautions beyond the normal "don't leave food out like an idiot"? None of the websites for the campground mention anything.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe ask a ranger or ring the local office, see if they have suggestions.

But if there's no food lockers and it's not known for heavy bear activity keeping your stuff sealed in you car is probably enough. The campground nanies in Canada's grizzly country claim it's okay so hopefully the same advice works on California black bears. :v:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

testifeye posted:

I love my Speedgoats. I trained in them for a year for running and backpacking, and they were awesome. I did the Wonderland (93 miles, 24000 ft gain and loss, varied terrain and river crossings) in them with no blisters and healthy feet. Just got a new pair for this season.

Footwear is really personal and I think trial and error was what I needed to find my best arrangement. I like REI for that because I can return shoes even after trying them for a reasonable stretch.

Big fan of Speedgoat too, with my favorite being the EVO Speedgoat. It is a faster version of the SG (Jim Walmsley just won the Western States in the EVO SG), and my slow rear end has put over 400 miles of trail running on them.

Myself I think the best trail shoe right now is the VJ Ultra. If you want a trail shoe (for hiking or running) that has some good cushion, that is light, and probably has the best grip of any trail shoe out there the VJ Ultra is it. Seriously best shoes I have ever used in mud or wet surfaces. It has become my main shoe even over the EVO SG. Only negative is no rock plate (and price of $160). Still the midsole provides plenty of protection and I love to bomb down hills on my runs.

https://vjshoesusa.com/products/ultra

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

FogHelmut posted:

Kinda weird - the campground I'm going to is in a national forest. Barely 1.5 miles away, another campground is in a state park and provides food lockers. Palomar Mountain, for anyone familiar. This is not serious bear country, though some black bears have occasionally been spotted.

Should I be taking extra precautions beyond the normal "don't leave food out like an idiot"? None of the websites for the campground mention anything.

Could be that the state park had some extra funding and splurged on lockers, might be raccoons or other night time critters that aren’t harmful but can be a nuisance. If there was major bear activity they would definitely make it known. Just handle your food responsibly and you’ll be fine.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Dick Burglar posted:

One thing I want to talk about regarding hiking shoes/boots: when I was hiking in Big Bend recently, I noticed that when I had trouble with my footing on the trails, my ankles would end up wobbling like crazy. I have a history of being clumsy in my footing. Would getting a mid- or boot-length shoe help stabilize the ankle and/or prevent ankle injuries from stumbling and rolling an ankle?

I’m probably 90% trail runners since I mainly hike in forests, but for really rocky and more desert trails, especially ones with cacti that can hook in and penetrate non leather uppers, I really like my leather Lowa boots. The sole is pretty stiff and well cushioned, so I just cruise over the bigger rocks that were trickier with bendier shoes. But good boots are real expensive and I completely agree poles are a fabulous place to start and see if that fixes the problem. Gripper soles like on trail runners might help too, if you don’t already have hiking specific shoes

I don’t know if it’s true, but I’ve anyways heard that once you roll an ankle, you’re more prone to reinjuring it. Maybe some sort of ace bandage or ankle brace reinforcement might help too?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I would definitely suggest ankle strengthening and stabilization exercises if it's a reoccurring thing for you. One of my buddies had a bad ankle and he sprained it on every trip we've been on together. The worst was in the enchantments on the day we were going up to the core, he sprained it coming back from the shitter near our camp site before we left that morning. He did 15 miles on it being sprained and we did a second trip to pasayten the next week. Don't do that.

Also over the ankle boots vs low/mid for that extra support. As others have mentioned, maybe an ankle brace or sleeve for some added protection.

Verman fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 15, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Reminder that today's REI deal is the Kelty Cosmic 0 sleeping bag for 52% off. Incredible deal.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/deal-of-the-day

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I actually haven't accumulated a lot of ankle injuries, I've just dealt with wobbly-rear end ankles and goofy walking issues. So yeah, ankle strengthening exercises are probably in order. But since I also will likely be out in areas with lovely cacti and other nasty things, I still feel like higher ankle coverage isn't a bad idea.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Every hiker and runner should have a balance board at home. I starting using one after a really bad ankle sprain, and I still use it a couple of days a week. I use to have a problem with under pronation (foot rolling outwards), but it rarely happens anymore. I owe part of that to the balance board.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or just play hockey. Ankle strength for days!

Now if only I could get away from this dumb IT career that has me sitting a zillion hours a day and causing duck feet. Stretches help but it would be nice to not need to dedicate a lot of wokrout time to it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

nate fisher posted:

Every hiker and runner should have a balance board at home. I starting using one after a really bad ankle sprain, and I still use it a couple of days a week. I use to have a problem with under pronation (foot rolling outwards), but it rarely happens anymore. I owe part of that to the balance board.

quick correction: foot rolling outwards is supination, rolling inwards is pronation. stronger ankles will help with either case, but especially for buying shoes online it makes a difference which one you're trying to correct for.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Random gear question since I’m looking for sleeping pads: does the color yellow actually attract bees?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

liz posted:

Random gear question since I’m looking for sleeping pads: does the color yellow actually attract bees?

I have a large tent that's basically yellow and haven't noticed any increase in bee activity around it. It might be too big for that though?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bees are drawn to yellow but I wouldn't worry about it too much because they're drat near extinct these days.

Smelling like flowers will draw them much more strongly.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Dick Burglar posted:

I actually haven't accumulated a lot of ankle injuries, I've just dealt with wobbly-rear end ankles and goofy walking issues. So yeah, ankle strengthening exercises are probably in order. But since I also will likely be out in areas with lovely cacti and other nasty things, I still feel like higher ankle coverage isn't a bad idea.

I have loose ankle ligaments and have broken my left so it is very unstable, but boots over the ankle and careful foot placement have kept me from rolling it while on serious hikes. I cannot however play soccer, basketball, squash/racquetball anymore without a lace up brace on that side. YMMV

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
How do you guys deal with ticks on your trips? I thought someone mentioned this recently but it might have mosquitoes.

I had a possible lyme scare a few years back (weird rash and symptoms) and I’d like not to repeat that experience. I’ve been reading all about permethrin treated clothing, does this really work? And is it ok to douse all my gear in it?

I’m going to Northern California for my trip, which I don’t think is known for ticks but I’m the overly cautious type.

Appreciate all the gear and first time advice, super happy this thread exists!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone know of someone selling ditty bags with a big variety of colors?

Eagle creek used to make nylon stuff sacks in a handful of bright colors that made it easy to color code based on what's in the bag but they seem to have gone largely monochrome. They don't need to be waterproof, or ultralight, but something easily compressible like ripstop or dynema is nice. I guess mesh is fine too. Zippers are better than drawstring but either works.

Hilltop Packs is the best option I can find, they don't offer much in the way of color but they have a variety pack of printed bags that could get the job done.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

liz posted:

How do you guys deal with ticks on your trips? I thought someone mentioned this recently but it might have mosquitoes.

Permethrin does wonders for keeping ticks away. Most brands recommend giving your clothes a good coating then letting them hang up overnight. Each treatment is supposed to last a week too.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

Anyone know of someone selling ditty bags with a big variety of colors?

Eagle creek used to make nylon stuff sacks in a handful of bright colors that made it easy to color code based on what's in the bag but they seem to have gone largely monochrome. They don't need to be waterproof, or ultralight, but something easily compressible like ripstop or dynema is nice. I guess mesh is fine too. Zippers are better than drawstring but either works.

Hilltop Packs is the best option I can find, they don't offer much in the way of color but they have a variety pack of printed bags that could get the job done.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T1ZRML1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_CQ2WKBHXMS0S44VASSWK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

liz posted:

I had a possible lyme scare a few years back (weird rash and symptoms) and I’d like not to repeat that experience. I’ve been reading all about permethrin treated clothing, does this really work? And is it ok to douse all my gear in it?

I’m going to Northern California for my trip, which I don’t think is known for ticks but I’m the overly cautious type.

Appreciate all the gear and first time advice, super happy this thread exists!

I soak all my clothes in permethrin overnight then hang to dry. Usually at least once a season. This seems to work better than just spraying stuff down. I do spray my hammock, tarp, etc as well though just as a precaution.

Long sleeves and pants with gaiters help a ton. Lighter clothing so you can see the little bastards. Then I put on some picardin lotion as well which seems to help quite a bit, and isnt as greasy and sticky as deet spray.

Do all that check yourself once in a while out on the trail and you should be ok. Really hoping lyme vaccines come out to the market soon. I signed up to be on a waiting list for a clinical trial in my area, hopefully Ill get picked sooner or later and get one even earlier.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Permethrin does wonders for keeping ticks away. Most brands recommend giving your clothes a good coating then letting them hang up overnight. Each treatment is supposed to last a week too.

Miraculous stuff. Keep away from cats while it’s drying

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

peppermint oil also repels ticks, so lather up in doctor bronners before hitting the trail

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
My Kelty bag that was the deal of the day earlier showed up…wow this thing is toasty

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Anybody have recommendations for a light weight, breathable, long sleeve UPF / sun protection shirt?

Something that I can wear backpacking in the hot summer mountains?

Ideally something that dries quickly so I can play in the water.

I was thinking something like this but it’s only UPF 30. I want to hit 50 or better baby!!!

https://www.rei.com/product/163977/rei-co-op-sahara-long-sleeve-t-shirt-mens

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have a couple of these Patagonia shirts and really like them.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The Fool posted:

I have a couple of these Patagonia shirts and really like them.

Oooh those look great! Basically exactly what I was looking for! Then I saw the following header on that page.

quote:

Voluntary Recall

We recently discovered that certain styles of the Capilene® Cool Daily and the Tropic Comfort product lines do not meet the 50+ UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor) rating we claimed for them. They still offer solid UV protection—it’s just not as much as advertised. If you own one of these shirts, click below for more information.

Edit: never mind, looks like that specific shirt wasn’t one of the recalled models.

Thanks for the recommendation, friend!

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 17, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, Patagonia's capilene line is really nice.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just grabbed a Patagonia sun shirt out of the garage sale section of our flagship REI. It’s nice.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I have a lightweight Patagonia hooded sunshirt that is almost all I hike in now. It's thin enough that a slight breeze goes right through it, so I don't mind hiking with the hood up even in heat. It's great.

I been meaning to get another one just to mix it up on longer trips. I've heard good things about Outdoor Research sun shirts.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

A sun hoodie maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B1NBYCS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_BTH2D5DM3YAX2N8YZ3HH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah I have a couple cheap Amazon sun hoodies from some random all caps brand. They all work pretty well.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

I've had great luck with all kinds of Baleaf clothing, and actually ordered a "50 spf" sun hoody as a lightning deal today for $19. If I don't get burned to a crisp in it I'll be satisfied. Went up to Muir last weekend and even with frequent slathering with sunblock and no burns, felt like I got way too much sun.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I've got a couple of mildly less fancy Baleaf hoodies, been quite pleased for the dirt cheap price I paid. You'll want to make sure to check their sizes, though, mine are XXL. Not what I usually wear of course!

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Papes posted:

My Kelty bag that was the deal of the day earlier showed up…wow this thing is toasty

Relatedly (as in they're also on deep deep discount right now and were deal of the day recently), anyone have experience with the Big Agnes AXL pads? They've got all variants marked down 75%, and the inflation bag for them down 86% to a wallet destroying $3. I'm very tempted to grab one even though my current pad isn't bad or anything, just takes a long time to fill.

super nailgun fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 18, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I also much prefer wide brimmed hats to baseball caps for hiking. Better sun protection for your head and neck and some mild rain protection if they are water resistant

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Anyone had much luck with Patagonia Capilene stuff in really hot climates like Texas? I know nothing is going to make moving around outside in the summer here not suck, but I'm always on the lookout for stuff that will at least make it suck less. Most of the stuff I've found that advertises itself as heat gear is only marginal at even that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

I also much prefer wide brimmed hats to baseball caps for hiking. Better sun protection for your head and neck and some mild rain protection if they are water resistant

Problem with a boonie hat for me has been that they start to leak at the base of the cap eventually. Any solutions to that? I've tried to wax my cap with G-1000 wax from Fjällräven. It helps but doesn't help if it rains the whole day.

Maybe I just have to deal with it.