Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah I played it in the steam demofest and it was really bad. It just bounced you around everywhere with no rhyme or reason and the combat had no rhythm to it.

Yeah the low level combat is pretty bad. Things get more complex and flow together better once you level up some, but it was a mistake on their part to make the part that most new players see just a lot of "hold button til monster dies"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

As much as I do not like FFXIV it's really funny that a game that originally had one of the worst MMO launches ever (and that's saying something with how many notoriously bad launches there have been) is eating WoW's lunch.

I didn't even play WoW to the first expansion but I've heard they last few expansions have been disasters.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Groovelord Neato posted:

As much as I do not like FFXIV it's really funny that a game that originally had one of the worst MMO launches ever (and that's saying something with how many notoriously bad launches there have been) is eating WoW's lunch.

I didn't even play WoW to the first expansion but I've heard they last few expansions have been disasters.

What was unexpected for me was Shadowlands being below average. Usually WoW has periods where they launch a great expansion, and then a not great expansion.

Cataclysm (not great) > Mist of Pandaria (great) > WoD (not great) > Legion (great!) > BFA (not great) > Shadowlands (not great?????)

This is the first time I quit WoW and have no intention of coming back. FFXIV is different enough to give me a new perspective on MMOs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

It has been yeah, and Blizzard no longer holds the most subscribers for a premium MMORPG anymore. A mix of Blizzard not caring about the playerbase, treating them all like an endless money pit, and driving away all of their talented employees that were passionate about WoW and making it into a good game, have all contributed to WoW's downfall. And now the major influencers that Blizzard relied on for hype, have turned on WoW and are playing other MMORPGs and telling their massive number of followers to do the same. I don't care at all for Asmongold, but he started playing FFXIV and it brought in an additional 100,000+ new people to the game in the last week alone.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Call me insane but Blizzard really should have launched WoW2 instead of doing...whatever they did with Cataclysm.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's not so uncommon now with titles like No Man's Sky and Sea of Thieves having disappointing launches and latter delivering in their promise with success, but when FFXIV launched having a game turnaround like that was unheard of. If a game launched poorly it was done, period. Mega patches or "reboots in all but name" weren't a thing.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Call me insane but Blizzard really should have launched WoW2 instead of doing...whatever they did with Cataclysm.

I think the idea of Cata was not bad, it just took away too much resources from the new content for higher levels and at the same time the leveling revamp didn't feel fleshed out enough either. So the whole expansion suffered because they tried to do both at the same time. Leveling wise until 50 is actually pretty good now in WoW to be honest (at least if you already have a lvl 50 char and don't have to pick BFA). But, as a lot of people do, I really dislike BFA and SL, so after that ugh.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I bounced off SOLO kinda hard myself. I dug all the wuxia stuff but I'm not really versed in the genre so all the terminology combined with near machine level TL for everything not voiced was too much for me. Was able to refund it at least, might grab it down the line if they ever do another editing pass.

Same here, it seemed to have promise but this was just way too hard to look past and the voice acting was horrible too (and does not match the subtitles). The interface was also really busy with constant tutorial things you couldn't seem to get rid off. But ye it seemed like a story heavy game and with the translation and voice acting as it is trying to follow the story is the worst part of the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All I wanted out of WoW was a new expansion pack, with a new race and class each time, and 10 level increase. Followed by a new raid and daily quest zones added every 6 months or so. It's not that loving hard, and that was Blizzards roadmap for the longest time and it was when WoW was the most successful and it worked really well. This is how Final Fantasy XIV functions and it's now the most popular premium MMORPG on the market.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I knew blizz lost their minds when they retconned the draenei. Playing little monster guys would've been way cooler.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
all i wanted from wow was to not pay for base game, expac, subscription, mtx, wow tokens, cosmetics cash shop, level boosts all simultaneously

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Conveniently most of those are optional. The only thing you need now is a sub and the latest expac.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Personally, if I'm paying a sub fee to play a game there should generally be zero other costs associated with the game. You either do a cash shop or a subscription, not both. Even if it is "just cosmetics" it still rubs me the wrong way. Not to mention that cosmetics ruin the visual progression and art styles. You can be a level 1 and look like an endgame character which makes it (especially in pvp games) harder to tell what a player is capable of if they can just slap a skin on top of their gear.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 15, 2021

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Idk what thread it was but someone posted a screenshot of a character from Guild Wars 2 decked out with so many particle effects that their character was just a white orb of light with feet and hands poking out. Anyone know what I'm talking about/have the shot?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Chillgamesh posted:

Idk what thread it was but someone posted a screenshot of a character from Guild Wars 2 decked out with so many particle effects that their character was just a white orb of light with feet and hands poking out. Anyone know what I'm talking about/have the shot?

I can't find it because of the term white, but yeah I think it's a guardian who just wanted to be as white (the color) as possible.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Biowarfare posted:

all i wanted from wow was to not pay for base game, expac, subscription, mtx, wow tokens, cosmetics cash shop, level boosts all simultaneously

Subscription + expac is the maximum I am willing to pay for a game, and even I should be paying for one or the other IMO.

Also I am not too surprise about what is happening at wow right now, it's been circling the drain for the last 5 years.

Seems that the only thing that could take down wow was another mature (as a 5 years + old) MMO or WoW itself.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 15, 2021

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bleusilences posted:

Subscription + expac is the maximum I am willing to pay for a game, and even I should be paying for one or the other IMO.

Also I am not too surprise about what is happening at wow right now, it's been circling the drain for the last 5 years.

Seems that the only thing that could take down wow was another mature (as a 5 years + old) MMO or WoW itself.

I feel like if I am paying a monthly fee I should not have to buy an expac. The subscription is recurring to continue providing content. Especially not when an expac costs like 4 months of sub and doesn't even include one month of sub with it. I don't think this is unreasonable, either.

The part that pisses me off is WoW including quite literally _every single type of mtx_ and _every single type of billing model_, simultaneously. Not just wanting your cake, eating it, but stealing someone else's cake to eat too.

To be clear I'm not a huge fan of FFXIV for doing the whole buy expac + sub + mtx cosmetic + mtx level boost, but at least they don't go and throw a wowtoken equivalent in there too.

Runescape has all of the above, but they don't charge for expac or buy to play, so it's basically a F2P game with a cash shop.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 15, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It is weird that they made spending a lot of gold a necessary part of gearing up via legendaries, arguably the “hardest” part, while letting you turn $ into gold via tokens.

jokes fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 15, 2021

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I personally have no problem paying for expansions assuming they provide a lot of new content. e: The one thing I do have a problem with is paying for expansions that are really old. If something was released in the early 2010s and is a core part of the game these days, don't make me pay for it. I'll pay for the most recent expansion or two at most.

But I do agree that WoW (and most mmos, frankly) are ridiculously monetized these days. I don't mind when it's just cosmetics because I couldn't care less about my character having glowing wings and a sword that looks like a severed dragon dick at level 2, but it really annoys me when you have to pay extra for basic quality of life stuff.

LOTRO (since I'm playing it atm) is a big offender here – the entire game is in theory :airquote:F2P:airquote: but you're severely limited in the amount of content you can access without a subscription. Okay, so now you have a subscription, but if you want access to any items that makes it easier to spend time playing the game and less time doing chores (ie. inventory management), you're going to be dropping probably ~$200 on extra bag space, shared storage between characters, extra bank space, crafting tools that makes you harvest/craft faster, mount speed increases, etc. You can also buy houses with real money (which provide more storage), and crafting materials that allow you to grind to the maximum crafting level while also giving your character actual XP, so with enough money you can literally just buy your way to max level.

You can earn points for the LOTRO shop by completing deeds (achievements), but the rate at which you earn points is astoundingly slow. If your goal is to never spend a red cent in the store you'd have to grind for years to buy anything worthwhile.

All that aside it's still a pretty fun game, but the majority of the population has been playing the game for a decade and has purchased all of these items piecemeal over the years, so someone like me who just started playing is at a significant disadvantage unless I shell out a couple hundred bucks. Thankfully I don't really care that much, but it does mean I spend a lot more time running to the bank to drop stuff off instead of actually questing. Since I haven't spent anything on the game since release way back in 2007, I felt alright paying for a few of the QOL items that have the highest impact (mount speed, for example), but that's about all I've bought.

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 15, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Paying for expansions is fine to me if it has as much new content to warrant a $70 price tag. It's not really an expansion pack if it offers a 40 hours long main story quest and tons of extra stuff. And since the game will cost $40, it's already severely discounted due to my membership.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

WoW/FF14’s expansions are full games in my opinion. Idk much about other MMOs

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Biowarfare posted:

I feel like if I am paying a monthly fee I should not have to buy an expac. The subscription is recurring to continue providing content. Especially not when an expac costs like 4 months of sub and doesn't even include one month of sub with it. I don't think this is unreasonable, either.

The part that pisses me off is WoW including quite literally _every single type of mtx_ and _every single type of billing model_, simultaneously. Not just wanting your cake, eating it, but stealing someone else's cake to eat too.

To be clear I'm not a huge fan of FFXIV for doing the whole buy expac + sub + mtx cosmetic + mtx level boost, but at least they don't go and throw a wowtoken equivalent in there too.

Runescape has all of the above, but they don't charge for expac or buy to play, so it's basically a F2P game with a cash shop.

One of my favorite things about OSRS is that once you pay for a membership, there is no additional hounding to give them money. They sell bonds too (similar to eve PLEX) but that is it and aside from a button tucked away in a settings menu there is no real mention of it. I can play the game without feeling like someone is constantly trying to manipulate me to spend more and more money. And that is becoming increasingly rare in games these days.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
yeah FFXIVs expansions add new jobs, 20-30 hours of straight up story, and entire new regions, I'm fine with dropping 40 bones every 2 years for a new one.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'd rather pay a premium for an expansion pack than a subscription. Not feeling like there is a ticking cost on the game makes it a lot more enjoyable.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

SA username= Lonk

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
There are a few good gifs of grossly incandescent GW2 players. Particle effects out the rear end.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Wow. That is… wow.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

jokes posted:

WoW/FF14’s expansions are full games in my opinion. Idk much about other MMOs

FFXIV expansions yes, because they are preserved and non obsolete.

WoW, eh post cataclysm the expansions felt hella compressed down to a greatest hits slice of what you could have experienced if you did that when it was live.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well WoW doesn’t charge for each (old) expansion so

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The price of entry for Final Fantasy XIV has gotten a little bit better overtime because you don't need to buy Heavensward anymore.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You never needed to buy anything but the latest expack (and the base game) for XIV though. Stormblood gave you Heavensward, Shadowbrings gave you Heavensward and Stormblood.

Granted they still sold HW/StB seperately, but

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Wasn't having to buy all the old expansions just to play the new one what WoW used to do WAY back in the day?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wasn't having to buy all the old expansions just to play the new one what WoW used to do WAY back in the day?

yeah i dont think they stopped doing it until like, mists of pandaria?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Doublestep posted:

yeah i dont think they stopped doing it until like, mists of pandaria?

I remember being pissed since I purchased WoW with both expansions (BC and WoLK) for $90 and ended up quitting the game after a month from being bored while being only like half-way leveled up.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

punk rebel ecks posted:

Paying for expansions is fine to me if it has as much new content to warrant a $70 price tag. It's not really an expansion pack if it offers a 40 hours long main story quest and tons of extra stuff. And since the game will cost $40, it's already severely discounted due to my membership.

I was being salty about the degrading quality of EQ2 the other day and did some number crunching, and after a certain point their expansions went from adding 300-600 new quests to 30. Price stayed the same, though!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I was being salty about the degrading quality of EQ2 the other day and did some number crunching, and after a certain point their expansions went from adding 300-600 new quests to 30. Price stayed the same, though!

drat, I stopped around rise of kunark or shadow odyssey but those always felt meaty and worth the price. Sucks how much that game fell apart.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Kaysette posted:

drat, I stopped around rise of kunark or shadow odyssey but those always felt meaty and worth the price. Sucks how much that game fell apart.

I'd say everything from Faydwer to The Shadow Odyssey was amazing, altho that's colored by me having infinite free time and a raid guild who also seemed to have infinite free time.

They put out so much content tho, they were doing bi-yearly expacs and each one would have like twenty dungeons, six raids, etc. And the epic weapon stuff was awesome.

But yeah when I checked back in they had time-gated power boosts that you could pay to speed up like some lovely mobile game, and everyone on my friends list was gone, and apparently the new raids were either impossible or trivial or something, I forget which.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I mean in their defense the player base also decreased by ten to twenty times since it's heyday.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Going to be interesting to see if :blizz: decide to put the necessary effort (and money) in to try and push WoW back to being "Number One MMO" , or if they're fine with a managed decline to :soe: levels of "a new zone and a couple of dozen quest counts as an expansion, right?"

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Maybe they’ll finally pull their heads out of their asses and make a new mmo. They have the ability to make good games (even though they’ve lost so much of their talent over the years), it’s be nice to see what they could do with a more modern entry into the genre.

Though who am I kidding, they’re going to beat the WoW horse for the next thirty years.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The only MMO from them I would've been interested in was a StarCraft one but with how badly they hosed up the storyline/universe in 2 that ship has sailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Yeah, I definitely would have played World of Starcraft. I’d still probably give it a shot if they made it but not holding my breath.