Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

mattfl posted:

gently caress you you stupid POS jeep. Time for a new water pump :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

mattfl posted:

gently caress you you stupid POS jeep. Time for a new water pump :(

This is why I priced in a long term warranty when I was buying my GC compared to Ford, Toyota, etc.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Well that wasn't that bad of a job. About 1 1/2 hours total and it's back to being leak free, at least that specific leak, for now.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My wife really wants to bed-liner the floor of her 2014 wrangler. Carpets been out of it for the last year. Tips/recommendations? Bad idea?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Not a bad idea at all IMO. If it goes off-road and sees much water I probably wouldn't put the carpets back in unless you're ready to pull them and dry them often. I keep the carpeting in the front but it's trivial to pull out when it needs to dry, plus the drain plugs help.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Run the bedliner up as high as you can. I always see rust starting at the top edge, especially in the footwells.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I did mine with a small hand sander to scuff the paint and the pro-grade spray liner. https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/truck-bed-and-undercoating/professional-grade-truck-bed-coating

Took about 8 cans to get everything covered with the seats out. Make sure you get the pro stuff. The regular poo poo is runny and garbage. Theyve also got a roller kit for like $100 if you want the textured option.

E: I posted pics earlier in the thread if you wanna go look.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Accidentally joined the jeep club

2000 XJ Sport with the 4.0L engine. Surprisingly minimal rust. It was well taken care of and loved other than a lovely leaky aftermarket sunroof that is now sealed shut and a headliner that needs to be replaced.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Fashionably Great posted:

2000 XJ Sport with the 4.0L engine. Surprisingly minimal rust. It was well taken care of and loved other than a lovely leaky aftermarket sunroof that is now sealed shut and a headliner that needs to be replaced.

"Aftermarket sunroof" is a phrase I'd never heard and sounds terrifying. Nice Jeep though.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Fashionably Great posted:

Headliners are easy to DIY and the material is pretty cheap on Amazon! I've had good luck with the highest hold 3m spray adhesive for doing them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Just double check whether you've got the 0331 or 0331 TUPY head, and if it's not the TUPY head keep an eye on coolant usage and oil condition.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Just had my first recall work done. No complaints beyond it taking forever (2.5 hours for two software flashes and I went ahead and let them do the $80 oil change for $0).

I may have bumped my exhaust crossover pipe on a rock. :blush:

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Going to use some time off next week to change the oil in my 99 4.0 TJ. This will only be the second time doing it myself, when it was a daily driver and needed it more frequently I always just took it someplace to do it. It's garage kept in Florida and these days only sees a few hundred miles a year of mostly just me tooling around town for weekend errands. So my questions are- is there any specific brand/weight of oil that would be best for me? I know I did a full synthetic last time and did some googling about what to use, but don't recall exactly what I ended up buying. And then how often should I really be changing the oil if just using it for super low miles around town?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's a Jeep 4.0 so anything vaguely resembling oil will be fine. In theory since it's a flat-tappet engine you should run something with more zinc in it, but in practice it's a goddamn four liter and it's not going to die of a wiped cam lobe.

Run whatever Xw30 you can get your hands on the cheapest. I run Costco 10w30 in mine when I don't have some other oil to dump in it instead.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I ran Sam's Club "Motor Oil" brand 10w30 in my daily driver for 6 months, sent a sample to Blackstone Labs, and they told me to try pushing my oil change interval further.

There are better engines out there, but none I'd trust to last longer.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Good to know, I won't sweat the exact oil at all. What about the interval? If miles and use aren't really a factor, and what point is the time the oil's been sitting in there?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've changed mine more often due to "dropping the oil pan" than I have any other interval, unfortunately. I'd stretch it as far as annually if you really aren't racking up a ton of miles.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'd agree with that. I've driven my jeep minimally (maybe 10 miles?) over the last year+ of pandemic, and it's getting an oil change in short order because maybe I can drive places again?

Also, new XJ guy, get the WeatherTech floormats from Quadratec. They're niiiiiiiiice.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I'm thinking of getting a 2015-2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Probably the V6, probably a 2017-2018 Trailhawk, but maybe an older one if I can find one that has the stuff I think I want. How big a difference is something like quadra-drive II vs quadra-trac II? I'm looking to dip a toe into actual offroading. I live in DFW so there're some ORV parks within reasonable driving distance, I was thinking I might drive out to them with my kid and mess around, but not try anything difficult. My main concern is that for more recent grand cherokees I have to get the air suspension if I want the electronic LSD, and I've heard the reliability on the air suspension can be bad. I don't mind ripping it out and replacing it when it goes bad, but then I've read that the system will complain every time you start it up etc. I'm reasonable at working on cars, but I'm not looking for a serious project, it needs to be able to drive most of the time.

Am I going to regret it? Should I get a lexus GX460 instead? I don't really want the 460 because the gas mileage is kind of poo poo, and although I don't drive enough for it to matter in terms of cost of ownership, in practice the people I go climbing with will complain because of perceived gas costs to drive like 400 miles out to a spot in arkansas or whatever. I don't want to buy it and then have to ride around in a crosstrek because no one will let me take my V8 SUV.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Also, new XJ guy, get the WeatherTech floormats from Quadratec. They're niiiiiiiiice.

Yeah these are pricey but so good. One of those get-what-you-pay-for things, for sure.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

M. Night Skymall posted:

2015-2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I've had a 2012 Overland Summit with all the bells and whistles since like 2015. To be honest, it has been pretty low maintenance. Never had an issue with the air suspension and we found it pretty useful for off roading as well as deep snow.

Ours does have have the 5.7 V8, gas mileage around town isn't great, but highway driving seems to get 20+ cruising on flat ground.

Strangely enough, we are considering getting a 460 for my wife, as we could use a 3rd row every once in a while.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Moey posted:

I've had a 2012 Overland Summit with all the bells and whistles since like 2015. To be honest, it has been pretty low maintenance. Never had an issue with the air suspension and we found it pretty useful for off roading as well as deep snow.

Ours does have have the 5.7 V8, gas mileage around town isn't great, but highway driving seems to get 20+ cruising on flat ground.

Strangely enough, we are considering getting a 460 for my wife, as we could use a 3rd row every once in a while.

If the V8 can realistically get 20 on the highway that's probably doable. My commute is pretty short so city MPG doesn't matter much for me. The V8 probably holds value better too if I decide jeeps aren't for me, and it'd be more fun. Most of the trailhawks I see are V6s for some reason though. Still, could probably find a 2015/2016 summit. I wish Jeep had not elected to call one car ranging from 30k to 80k MSRP the same name. :psyduck:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

M. Night Skymall posted:

If the V8 can realistically get 20 on the highway that's probably doable. My commute is pretty short so city MPG doesn't matter much for me. The V8 probably holds value better too if I decide jeeps aren't for me, and it'd be more fun. Most of the trailhawks I see are V6s for some reason though. Still, could probably find a 2015/2016 summit. I wish Jeep had not elected to call one car ranging from 30k to 80k MSRP the same name. :psyduck:

I have a notably older 5.7 from ’07 that almost definitely gets worse milage and can get 20mpg highway. The thing to remember is is that the cylinder deactivation makes your milage drop off faster at higher speeds because it's using all 8 cylinders more often. Around town I get about 12mpg because I can't keep my foot off the loud pedal, but on the freeway I just set the cruise control and chill while I watch my mpg number on the dash climb.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Found this tragedy while camping over the weekend. Looked like it was a super cherry 2-door 98-01 XJ before winter crushed it. Paint was in great shape and interior was clean. RIP XJ ☹️

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Just spent a month in Hawaii, and watched a moron tourist abuse a rental Wrangler.

The road to and from this one great beach is unimproved, over lava rocks and gravel. Having high clearance is convenient, but I did it in a minivan and I watched a local do it in a lowered Civic.

These loud bros in a rental Jeep behind us were bombing through the road. I pulled over on one of the crawly spots to allow them to pass, just before the road starts being paved and normal. As they pulled ahead, I saw their vehicle was pissing dark fluid in a long trail behind them. I wanted to catch up, honk and flash my lights to get them to stop to tell them about it. As I got on the good road, they were 20 yards ahead on the dirt part of the road, and did a fishtailing burnout in the dirt and skittered off towards the highway. Oh well.

Someone's parents are going to be on the hook for a lot of damage when they return that.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
The thread title is appropriate, eager to diagnose my locker issue I forgot to take the lid off my oil pan and pulled off the diff cover.

Last year I asked about inner shaft seals, after 4 months one of mine finally started leaking out the outer seals. Like an idiot, I took it offroad last weekend anyway. Ended up winching out of a stupid huge mud hole, yay!

My Spartan locker keeps locking up. It was fine before the mud hole. Made for an interesting 180 mile drive home locked up in the front. Up on jacks, it will unlock a little spinning a tire by hand, then it locks up. Crank case was a pale grey oil / water mixture. Would this be enough to screw up the locker's springs/friction? Other thought, dragging the front through mud could have bent the front tie rod, but it seemed to track just fine. Could excess toe in cause the lock up?

Carrier gets to come out, worth it to replace both shaft seals now?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

M. Night Skymall posted:

I'm thinking of getting a 2015-2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Probably the V6, probably a 2017-2018 Trailhawk

2018 diesel thawk owner here. Very happy with it. I take it on forest service trails to 6k foot mountains between orange and riverside counties and it's a good highway driver. But I've also never gone off-road in anything prior to it, so I can't compare. I'm a novice jeep owner and off-roader though, but I did price in a full extended warranty when cost comparing thanks to lurking in this thread. No issues other than a trim repair and 2 or 3 recalls on the diesel.

Used market is loving crazy. My value is 43k with 3 years old and 22k miles. I bought it at 45k. You may do better getting a new one at this point.

You get free wave membership when buying new which covers 4 oil changes for 2 years. Iirc, it's 150 a year after that which includes 2 oil changes. I'm not mechanically inclined unlike most goons in this thread, so I'd rather pay someone or let warranty deal with my inevitable jeep issues.

I also am 6 2, so it was the midsize I was most comfortable in as well.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Evil SpongeBob posted:

2018 diesel thawk owner here. Very happy with it. I take it on forest service trails to 6k foot mountains between orange and riverside counties and it's a good highway driver. But I've also never gone off-road in anything prior to it, so I can't compare. I'm a novice jeep owner and off-roader though, but I did price in a full extended warranty when cost comparing thanks to lurking in this thread. No issues other than a trim repair and 2 or 3 recalls on the diesel.

Used market is loving crazy. My value is 43k with 3 years old and 22k miles. I bought it at 45k. You may do better getting a new one at this point.

You get free wave membership when buying new which covers 4 oil changes for 2 years. Iirc, it's 150 a year after that which includes 2 oil changes. I'm not mechanically inclined unlike most goons in this thread, so I'd rather pay someone or let warranty deal with my inevitable jeep issues.

I also am 6 2, so it was the midsize I was most comfortable in as well.

I'm looking at a 2018 V8 now that's a CPO and I think that's probably enough of a warranty for me to be OK with it. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and I'd rather have a slightly older car I don't feel as bad about getting dirty/bolting on dumb armor and romping through moderate trails than buying something new and not wanting to void my warranty. New car market is also pretty screwy. I originally was going to get a kia telluride and not do any actual offroading beyond dirt roads to get places, but they're like 5k over MSRP after you pre-order them or something super stupid. Anyway, I'm selling a car for this one and its value also went up maybe 4k, so I figure the total premium to buy now isn't *that* bad, and it's going to be loving ages before the market settles down since new cars aren't really coming in at the rate they should be, which'll have cascading effects on supply for a while.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Hmmm, I wonder why the old gal is bogging so badly under throttle. Got a smog check coming up, guess I should do the full tune-up thing...

:drum:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Hmmm, I wonder why the old gal is bogging so badly under throttle. Got a smog check coming up, guess I should do the full tune-up thing...

:drum:

LOL, you got your money's worth out of that rotor, and then some.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
Pulled Spartan locker out, putting old spider gears back in, well maybe.

Watched a bunch of videos and these things should just spin in, right? I spin the side gears and the spring washer just hits the housing and slides off. The gear drags without the washer, is this normal?

I'm contemplating grinding down the high spot on the housing to see if I can get this to slip past.

Gets stuck here:

Random pic of Jeep in the natural environment, winching it out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, might need to wiggle the side gears around a bit - perhaps they're not fully seated?

Also it's generally easiest to get it all in there if you put both spiders in at once, make sure they're lined up right tooth wise. And use a new roll pin - I've had a few friends reuse the original and have it split in half and fall out a few thousand miles later. Then the cross shaft slides out, high fives the pinion gear, and turns everything in the housing into metal mulch.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
I thought about making a little spreader for the side gears since I'm making one for the inner seals anyway, don't have the right size washers on hand though. The JKs have Belville washers, but I didn't expect that much pressure on the gear. The sides are seated as good as I can get by hand but that's probably not seating the washer.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Weird, it should just go in by hand then. Maybe try turning it in the other way? Check for snags or burrs on the forging that are blocking it?

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
Went to put a different lunchbox locker in, measured the gap with the supplied washers and gap was .005 too big. Instructions say try the original thrust washers next, gap was then .045 too small. Seems Dana put some stiff thrust washers to make up for the fact my carrier is at the upper end of the tolerance range. Really glad this Jeep isn't my DD.

Edit: Torq Masters has "thick" thrust washers .012 thicker than the .030 the kit came with, hopefully they ship those out asap. That should put me right in the middle of the tolerance range.

giundy fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 1, 2021

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Shot in the dark, anyone ever replace or have replaced the radiator on their WK2 5.7?

I apparently have a nice hole in mine and doing it myself looks like hell. Also, might as well replace (have replaced) the water pump while it's torn open? 2012 with 100k miles.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Anybody need a Ford 9” that looks set up for a CJ? There’s a matching passenger-drop front axle, both are set up for 5x5.5”, and I bet I could get the set for under $100.

I’d be happy to strap it to a pallet and send it on the barge just to keep it from being scrapped.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Pics of the front axle? I don't need it, but I can probably help identify it. Spring mounts, knuckles, cover, casting, etc.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Went back today, didn’t end up pulling it out but I think I did find a buyer for the axle. Another guy was going to buy an FJ60 for the axles because he busted an axle shaft on the AMC 20 in his CJ-5. His plan was to swap the FJ60 rear axle in as an upgrade :psyboom:

So he may get that 9” and I may end up with an FJ60. I may have already bought it, I’m not actually sure. But I do know there is no axle swap that guy is going to put in his CJ-5 that would be easier or cheaper than just replacing the AMC 20 shafts with single-piece upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
My neighbor is selling his 2003 Cherokee Laredo 2WD with 109,000 miles on it. The best offer he’s gotten is from a dealership for $2,000. I’m thinking about matching the offer if he’s willing to sell it to me. He’s used it as a second car since he’s had it, and on the eye test it looks to be in good shape. He’s in his 60s and doesn’t seem to have modified everything.

Anything I should look for, or any red flags from that year that should scare me off? I know Jeep’s had up and down years, but haven’t followed it super closely. I’m mostly looking at it as a grocery getter/second car that I’ll hang onto until it dies.

I learned to drive on an ‘88 Cherokee Pioneer, so I have some nostalgia for the model. Seems like it’d be a great deal if there aren’t any major issues.