Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

My Lovely Horse posted:

although now that season 3 exists a valid answer is also "it gets weird intermittently throughout the first two seasons and then S3 immediately ramps up the baseline for weird by like 500%"

I still smile when I think back to the s3 live watch period of the thread and the guy who kept trashing the show for being confusing and not making any sense, and it turned out he hadn't seen s1, s2, or fwwm. I'm surprised he made it as far as he did, at least to episode 5 or 6 as I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I think it helps somewhat to have laid down even the most minimal of Lynch film exposure before the show, even just the contemporary films. There's a lot of stuff that I can only describe as Lynchiness where you get a feel for how "normal" (if off-kilter) things can feel and how he can take you down some very strange roads from there. His movies just do it in a much shorter time span than Twin Peaks does.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are there any good podcasts that people recommend to listen along while watching? (not at the same time obviously)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The aforementioned Idle Thumbs podcast is great, and also Talking Backwards is one that’s still ongoing - they’re up to Part 13 of season 3 right now.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

bowmore posted:

I haven't seen Twin Peaks. When does the show start getting weird?

Tough question, because there's different kinds of weird at play here. Plotwise there's nothing too weird for the first season. The events that happen generally make sense.

What's weird, and it's a weirdness that starts from the pilot on, is everything else. Actors emote too much or too little, seemingly at random. Everyone's clothing looks straight from 1955. The music ranges from iconic to absurd and eclectic. Shots linger way too long, or pan too slowly.

The show just doesn't feel normal from the getgo, but how you interpret that is up to you.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bowmore posted:

I haven't seen Twin Peaks. When does the show start getting weird?

Weird? Dunno what you're talking about. It's a completely normal TV show.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Completely normal in every way.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

There's a scene in the pilot with James and Donna that's a super close up in the dark and when I saw it for the first time I was like, holy poo poo this is so awesome.

Is it weird? I dunno, but it's like 5 minutes long lol

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
David Lynch is a very good director.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://livingsnoqualmie.com/production-company-working-in-the-snoqualmie-valley-delays-possible-in-downtown-north-bend-august-10th/

👀

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think that was already debunked as a low-budget Bigfoot movie filming in the area. :(

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bigfoot could appear in the next season, you never know!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Bigfoot movie is already done and premiered last week. This looks like something else.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Hmm..

https://twitter.com/Soundwave3000/status/1423080718821904395

https://twitter.com/Soundwave3000/status/1423080800237625344

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I am getting sick of 90s nostalgia in all instances where it does not involve Twin Peaks.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
That description sounds like nothing David Lynch would work on. He's said things like 'you don't want to make a message film', and that description is purely message. So unless it's a misdirect which it obviously could be, doesn't sound related.

It's been a while since anything was heard at all about his new project, right? Last info I'm aware of was Netflix signed him up for 18 hours of something with working title Wisteria and that's all I know. It's still very nice to know he is actually working on something though, because for such a long time there was just nothing except a music project here and there.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the 90s blows

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bowmore posted:

the 90s blows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn_OaRcvSsU&t=16s

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Did someone ITT post a link to some twin peaks masks? I know they exist, but I remember seeing a funny James one.

edit: now that I think about it, it might have been this

double edit: found it, but it's out of stock :(

zenguitarman fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 15, 2021

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

zenguitarman posted:

Did someone ITT post a link to some twin peaks masks? I know they exist, but I remember seeing a funny James one.
Not sure if this is what you're looking for but I bought a couple of these face masks last year and they're what I've been wearing for the past year or so of the pandemic:

https://store.sho.com/collections/twin-peaks/products/twin-peaks-red-room-chevron-washable-face-mask

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I finished watching Riget (The Kingdom) by Von Trier and its very good and very much has Twin Peaks vibes but in a good way. he's even coming back to do a third season 25 years later

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

mistermojo posted:

I finished watching Riget (The Kingdom) by Von Trier and its very good and very much has Twin Peaks vibes but in a good way. he's even coming back to do a third season 25 years later

I’m glad you posted that, I remember being real interested in it recently but forgot. I’ll have to track it down. It really does sound great.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Oh man Kingdom is great. Hope S3 keeps up the vibe

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

quote:

The series is set in the neurosurgical ward of Copenhagen's Rigshospitalet, the city and country's main hospital, nicknamed "Riget". "Riget" means "the realm" or "the kingdom", and leads one to think of "dødsriget", the realm of the dead. The show follows a number of characters, both staff and patients, as they encounter bizarre phenomena, both human and supernatural.

Sounds like Garth Merenghi's Darkplace.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Maybe this is old news, but it's the first time I've seen anyone point it out in the past four years:

https://twitter.com/BasedDrWorm/status/1428433645535219714

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

That's not true. That's impossible!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

they don't look identical to me

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Also of note: The shot of the tainted finger in Sarah's face is Laura's finger without the Owl Ring from the moment before Bob/Leland murders her.

Final Dossier confirmed that scene in the bar with the "Truck You" guy took place in the altered timeline, when Laura was "missing" rather than murdered, and Leland had killed himself. So, in that timeline, Laura never did wear the Owl Ring :stare:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

the thing in sarah grew and became more powerful as a result of the trauma she went through. ie it fed on her pain and suffering, as we know these things do. it ‘looks like’ laura because what happened left a laura shaped hole in her heart.

trying to tear the show apart to say ‘this scene happens in THIS timeline actually!” is nonsense. final dossier is useless drivel that not only misses the forest for the trees, but also can’t tell the difference between and oak and a fir. and if lynch went around trying to explain what electricity or all the hobos REALLY meant it’d be nonsense too

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I get why people like to tear the show apart to try and make sense of it but its best not over analyzed. It’s not a mystery box . Although I guess the glass box in nyc is a mystery box.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I get why people like to tear the show apart to try and make sense of it but its best not over analyzed. It’s not a mystery box .

if it's not a mystery box then what is it?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Klowner posted:

Like the best parts of the pilot, for me its always been a mediation on grief

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Klowner posted:

It's a goddamn bad story

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

The Klowner posted:

David Lynch’s work in general tends to try to convey complex emotions via jarring imagery, humor, and straight up dream logic. He’s really not a plot guy - it’s all about mood. Not that I’m saying there isn’t a plot to Twin Peaks, as there very much is. But I think it’s less about the who/what/when/why of Judy, and more about something more esoteric. What that is can be debated for days probably.

Personally for me, I view it as an exploration of Cooper as a character and his drive to right all wrongs, and how that itself can inflict more hurt. Now is it actually about Cooper, or is it a story about Richard, an average man who dreams himself to be this fixer, in a world where dreams might be a shared experience? Who is the dreamer?

It could be a ton of things, and the openness of it is exactly why I love it.

Shageletic posted:

Like the best parts of the pilot, for me its always been a mediation on grief

Also this.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

The Klowner posted:

a movie

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

multijoe posted:

It's a goddamn bad story

lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Although I guess the glass box in nyc is a mystery box.

And the guy who spends all day staring at it to catch sight of the mystery gets torn to shreds, really makes you think :hmmyes:

I mean, he also had sex with Madeline Zima I'm not sure what the analysis there is.....

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

she is a pretty lady

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it is a mystery box but not in the sense that :lost: or jj's oeurve is. in JJ world the mystery of the supernatural is simply a justification to advance the emotional conflict. the mystery itself is irrelevant and unplanned by his own admission. on the other hand, David Lynch has never given a clear answer about what's going on in twin peaks. Is twin peaks just doing the JJ thing where none of it actually means anything substantial and Lynch is just smart enough not to say that out loud and spoil it?

The Klowner fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean if you think "Judy" was introduced into the story so you could be told later that "actually it is an alternate pronunciation of Jow-day" and it would somehow make sense in retrospect that people were referring to "Judy" as a person

Or that you were supposed to see the owl ring symbol rotated around by the magic teakettle smoke and rearranged into an 8 and smack your forehead and go OF COURSE!

Then you've either got a lot more imagination than I do or you're ascribing more omniscience to the author of the story than he seems to have had himself, because tying up the plot neatly like a 50s mystery writer was like the last thing he cared about

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 21, 2021