Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

analphabetic
Nov 10, 2009
I think we all know the answer to that already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I don't really understand practically what's the difference tomorrow? Are clubs open now? What else is even closed?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm pretty sure that's why Wales is holding off for a while, to see how it goes in England first!

I live in an area of Wales that's swamped with tourists. If their previous attitudes are any indicator, the vast majority of them won't know or care that 'freedom day' stopped at the border. Tomorrow is going to be an interesting experience.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ravel posted:

I don't really understand practically what's the difference tomorrow? Are clubs open now? What else is even closed?

Pubs and restaurants don't need to bother with masks, table service or the rule of six. Most hopefully will carry on regardless.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's basically just that you don't have to wear masks any more (although you probably should still) and pubs and restaurants go back to normal. I don't see that making the infection rate hugely worse than it is now, tbh.

If we actually want to cut infections, we'd need to go back into lockdown again, with all but essential shops shut and people barred from leaving their homes except for essential activities and funnily enough, very few of the people huffing and groaning over things being relaxed are advocating for that.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

analphabetic posted:

So......is everything still opening with restrictions removed tomorrow then?

No idea, just "chilling" and waiting for the spike in deaths down the line tbh, brutal but honest. :shrug:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm going to keep wearing my mask out and about because it's really helping with the hayfever. Wish I'd done it years ago.

I made a tiny circus! Or a tiny replica of the government. Kier Starmer is the little cat sitting obliviously on the train tracks.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I just want to go to the pub without first negotiating for a table with the bar staff and without having to use some godawful proprietary app that requires you to put all your personal details in twice over. I am prepared to accept a not insignificant number of Covid deaths in order to achieve this beautiful dream.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I was at a pub yesterday (in the beer garden, with work colleagues, all double vaccinated, about as safe as we could be) and when I went in to use the loo I said to the lad behind the bar 'excuse me love, I can't see very well, could you help me find the toilets' and his idea of help was to say 'it's down the corridor there'. I suppose technically he did help me but I was hoping for a bit more help. I did find it though.

e: going to start carrying my symbol cane all the time, at least then I'll have something to accidentally hit people with

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm pretty sure that's why Wales is holding off for a while, to see how it goes in England first!

Judging by the amount of no-mask cunts in Sainsburys and the Co-Op - it's not going to matter that we're in a different country.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's basically just that you don't have to wear masks any more (although you probably should still) and pubs and restaurants go back to normal. I don't see that making the infection rate hugely worse than it is now, tbh.

It's not just masks, venues can open up to full capacity now with no social distancing requirements. Those were still in place last summer and Eat Out to Help Out still created a spike in cases. Many people are vaccinated this time, but a lot of hospitality and retail staff aren't by virtue of their age. There are cases on board navy ships and in the Olympic village, and everyone there is fully vaccinated and has a fully functioning immune system. Cases are already rising - which may not result in a dramatic increase in deaths because of vaccination - and I don't see how opening up won't make this situation worse.

Pistol_Pete posted:

If we actually want to cut infections, we'd need to go back into lockdown again, with all but essential shops shut and people barred from leaving their homes except for essential activities and funnily enough, very few of the people huffing and groaning over things being relaxed are advocating for that.

"Funnily enough"? Are you suggesting that keeping restrictions until early September, when the vast majority of people will have had their second jab + 2 weeks, is unreasonable? Nobody is advocating for full lockdown because we've gone beyond that, and actually there is a way to keep businesses open, hospitals running, and infections down, and that's by strictly enforcing masks, social distancing, and proper contact tracing. But we're stopping all of that in six hours' time.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea, going "we're gonna wait until 75%-80% of the population is double-jabbed to open up so herd immunity actually works" would have been fine. But they've rushed it through because gotta stick to the timetable even with vaccinations slowing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I (single jabbed) was going to have to go back to the office tomorrow but my (double jabbed) wife has tested positive after her whole office got pinged on the app, after 3 other people tested positive last week but management insisted it was alright because nobody had pinged yet.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm going to stick with my mask and trying to retain distance. I get the feeling that a lot of people are going to get sick.

I hate it here and work is already a pit full of angry people atm.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

It's opening up except the entire country needs to self isolate

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1416805508724502533

Longish thread on the current situation and comparisons to around the world.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I'm just gonna stay inside. I was going to do a fast and furious marathon with my neighbours on Wednesday, but they just asked me to look after their cats this weekend as they're visiting family in London with their toddler...

This after we spent all week being horrified at the rise in cases and linking the charts back and forth to each other on our telegram while being horrified that everything is opening up.

It's like... Come on people. Why is everyone convinced they're the special fine ones?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Suck it, airconailures.

I mean yours looks like it has a loving LCARS UI compared to mine but yeah thank gently caress I have one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

I mean yours looks like it has a loving LCARS UI compared to mine but yeah thank gently caress I have one.

Oh that's just a 10 quid alarm clock and weather station I got from Lidl

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/coyleneil/status/1416479776655749121?s=19

Kick out the entirely Jewish membership of JVL, is it?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m allergic to masks but will still wear the masks, all I ask is that the god drat street furniture and toilet police gently caress Off.

The pandemic has been wildly different for people in wheelchairs because of this poo poo, (I’m not the wheelchair user, I’m the wheelchair pusher) and I hope there is a special crash barrier maze purgatory made for people who put barriers down the centre of the isle in shopping centres and locked the doors to the disability ramps.

Edit: Also anyone who has ever restricted medical access and social care to anyone and used covid as an excuse to get out of doing their job should spend a thousand years with a shouty gammon screaming “BECAUSE OF COVID” at them.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 18, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/coyleneil/status/1416479776655749121?s=19

Kick out the entirely Jewish membership of JVL, is it?

I've seen someone arguing the exact same thing as Coyle. Literally "at last Labour is purged of the toxic legacy of the anti-Semite Corbyn. Next let's get rid of the Jews."

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jedit posted:

I've seen someone arguing the exact same thing as Coyle. Literally "at last Labour is purged of the toxic legacy of the anti-Semite Corbyn. Next let's get rid of the Jews."

Charlotte Nichols (she of the anti-GRT flyer) says Coyle's tweet is "English irony", whatever that means

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

I knew it was bad but not this bad sez British journalist before instantly forgetting how bad it is again
The guardian article linked upthread has already been edited to say they are u-turning and stating in isolation. Didn't see the original but the new version is very much written to make it look like the u-turn is the bad thing and they barely considered plaguespreading at all.

Dan Wooton will of course be so busy congratulating them on noticing him uwu doing the sensible thing, any and all criticism will immediately cease.

learnincurve posted:

I’m allergic to masks but will still wear the masks, all I ask is that the god drat street furniture and toilet police gently caress Off.
I was going to be all cool and just post this as a .gif but I am old and don't know how so have this:

https://twitter.com/rantingauthor/status/1416820853308788738?s=19

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I can't change what other people do but i can & will continue to wear a mask and gloves when out in the community.

Anyone would think it had vanished in the blink of an eye. :cripes:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I may be well off here but I’ve been finding these accounts hilarious for some time now and I have a feeling you guys might know who they are.

https://twitter.com/drrobertzands/status/1416810126833504258?s=21

It started with Dr Zands and the Zands plan over Brexit. And now there’s various centrist QC’s and a Butlins comedian all getting involved They often get picked up on as being real and manage to really wind up some absolute melts such as Eddie Marsan and co who were complicit in claiming to be left wing but actually right wing and anti Corbyn etc.

If it’s you guys I absolutely love it all, it genuinely makes my day when something kicks off, and I’m sorry I can’t do more to boost them from my private account.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I too shall carry on wearing a mask, avoiding indoor locations except my flat, and avoiding anyone I suspect of being less careful. Not that I know many such people, on account of not fraternizing with Tories.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobstar posted:

Charlotte Nichols (she of the anti-GRT flyer) says Coyle's tweet is "English irony", whatever that means

I think that is a dig at Corbyn from a remark he made a couple of years ago* which was deemed anti-semitic by the usual suspects.

I doubt very much Coyle was 'being ironic' much as Nichols might be trying to pretend he didn't mean it.

Mask chat:
I think I'm going to start double-masking. As I live in a border town and my boss comes over from England and as her kids are still at school, I'm just a bit concerned.

Hot weather chat:

We're getting our flats flat roof area re-sealed over the next 3 days - on the one hand good that it isn't raining but on the other I don't fancy being the workpersons! I've put some bottles of water in the freezer to give them tomorrow.

*Ed: it's number 8 on this list: https://simonmaginn.medium.com/top-ten-labour-antisemitism-smears-f729646378e6

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 18, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'll still wear mask on public transport and indoors but otherwise nothing will really change since everyone's been going to pubs and restaurants for months. Don't really fancy clubbing.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1416805508724502533

Longish thread on the current situation and comparisons to around the world.

as a political sense, a u-turn toward mandatory vaccinations for participation in public life feels more likely than a u-turn toward lockdown at this point (in a very "well France and Germany are doing it" sense)

could be worth watching Scotland on that too; not just a Tory thing

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The only concession I've made to any kind of reopening is starting to go to the cinema again, and even then, only going midweek afternoons so it's just me and 2 or 3 pensioners I can at least outrun in any given screen.

And even then, I'm doublemasking and avoiding everyone like I'm the boy in the bubble.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The only concession I've made to any kind of reopening is starting to go to the cinema again, and even then, only going midweek afternoons so it's just me and 2 or 3 pensioners I can at least outrun in any given screen.

And even then, I'm doublemasking and avoiding everyone like I'm the boy in the bubble.

I just want to see Dune :pray: and then return to my semi detached house of solitude for a few years.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm also excited for dunc, not just because of all the hot takes that will emerge about a plot that was written in the 1960s.

First person to post that the Baron is a metaphor for Trump wins the Dan Hodges Allergic to Research award.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't care that much about a new adaptation of the plot of DUNC, which is mostly gibberish. But I really want to see Denis V make pretty pictures on a huge screen again.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

"Duncan idaho"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Smith in Dunc is an obvious IDS parallelogram.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1416812825847156743

Wow, has it really been a whole week since Blair's last rare intervention? Also can we just give him an ID card with a picture of a dead Iraqi on it so he feels like his work is done now?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1416812825847156743

Wow, has it really been a whole week since Blair's last rare intervention? Also can we just give him an ID card with a picture of a dead Iraqi on it so he feels like his work is done now?

Please Tony, you already have enough slaves for the afterlife

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/KarenPBuckMP/status/1416690899321565184

Mask so far off you can see the back of their loving skull. Labour Shadow DWP minister quoting Ayn loving Rand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Lady Demelza posted:

"Funnily enough"? Are you suggesting that keeping restrictions until early September, when the vast majority of people will have had their second jab + 2 weeks, is unreasonable? Nobody is advocating for full lockdown because we've gone beyond that, and actually there is a way to keep businesses open, hospitals running, and infections down, and that's by strictly enforcing masks, social distancing, and proper contact tracing. But we're stopping all of that in six hours' time.

Vaccinations have been trailing off for weeks and are currently running at fewer than 70K per day: delaying opening up for a few more weeks isn't going to make some step change in the numbers vaccinated.

And there are any number of people effectively advocating for a return to lockdown: if those who are shouting that now is not the time to remove restrictions and that the rise in cases must be stopped, the only way to ensure this is by closing all but essential shops again and confining people to their homes once more and I've seen very few people indeed with the guts to call for that openly, knowing how massively unpopular it would be. I've been reading up on expressed vs revealed preferences recently (what people say they want vs what they actually do) and I honestly don't believe that a majority of the population are aching to go back into lockdown again.