Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
the a/t parenting megathread has 21 posts about paw patrol and not a single post containing "acab"

if that isn't proof enough for the need of this thread, i dont know what is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i think most dogs are probably smarter than my kid but hes only 15 months old. eventually, he will be smarter than all dogs.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
My son calls Joe Biden “sleepy Joe” which he leaned from my Fox News watching parents but I’m ok with it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah that's kind of where mines at feeding wise. I try to mitigate as much as i can but I've just accepted that part of my day now is cleaning up and vacuuming after every mealtime, and sometimes also bathing the kid if she got it on her as well

At a certain age, (live 1 year old) my kid would announce that he had finished the meal by knocking over his cup. Kinda nice communications wise, but really annoying cleanup. My wife and I got some ninja skills catching the cup before.

Nowadays, he has way to many toys (they accumulate), but mostly he just goes around picking up rocks, screws, cherry pits, whatever he can find on the ground. He's 4, and I think I can teach him some good things about stuff not being essential.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Taima posted:

I'm no expert but cspam does not feel like an appropriate place to have a parent thread.

I have absolutely no dog in this fight for the record, but also don't understand why someone woke up and was like "you know what C-Spam needs? A parent thread!"

There's a very good and very active parenting thread in A/T for example without any of the conflict and negativity/viewpoints of the average poster that comes here.

Who gives a poo poo

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Taima posted:

I'm no expert but cspam does not feel like an appropriate place to have a parent thread.

I have absolutely no dog in this fight for the record, but also don't understand why someone woke up and was like "you know what C-Spam needs? A parent thread!"

There's a very good and very active parenting thread in A/T for example without any of the conflict and negativity/viewpoints of the average poster that comes here.

tell cps if it bothers you that much

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

fosborb posted:

the a/t parenting megathread has 21 posts about paw patrol and not a single post containing "acab"

if that isn't proof enough for the need of this thread, i dont know what is

goddamn

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lobster shirt posted:

i think most dogs are probably smarter than my kid but hes only 15 months old. eventually, he will be smarter than all dogs.
what makes you think your kid will be any smarter than you

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

no dog is smart enough to post on forums

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lobster shirt posted:

no dog is dumb enough to post on forums

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Posting in this unneccessary thread with my unneccessary baby in front of me learning about shapes by picking up the box and dropping it on my nuts

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Taima posted:

I'm no expert

Shoulda stopped the post there, chucklefuck.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
quick time to study the tenets of marxism-leninism and determine the weakest point of the cspam forums as a revolutionary entity

let's just skip right past the drugs and video game threads and go straight to parent chat

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Benagain posted:

quick time to study the tenets of marxism-leninism and determine the weakest point of the cspam forums as a revolutionary entity

let's just skip right past the drugs and video game threads and go straight to parent chat

lol

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My 8 yo daughter knows to scream I love Donald trumfp to grift old people. So proud.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I figured it was so we could bitch about Paw Patrol.

why the gently caress does the cop one have a drone for real

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

he borrowed it from the fire fighter dog just to "test it out" and also just happened to cover the roof of an adventure bay building he hasn't been able to get a paw-warrant for

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

lmfao you gotta pick up your dog's poo poo with your bare hands and then carry it around in a little baggie and then when you get home you have to cut it up with a poop knife and shove it down the sink with lemons. owned.
dumb question incoming i'm not a dog person or care for dogs or have ever been around dogs
so when dogs poo poo outside and you get back home, is there just poo poo on their rear end in a top hat or what the gently caress? aren't they going to rub that poo poo onto something?

speaking of poo poo, man i hated potty training when the kid was shiting in their trainers/undies
my younger one is getting to that age soon to start potty training, i hope it's a lot smoother than with the first one

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Taima posted:

this thread legit helps in talking about the poo poo hellworld we live in with our kids
esp the battle with copaganda and capitalism and everything else

no general parenting thread or book for that matter covers this poo poo at all

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Benagain posted:

lmao

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Tzen posted:

speaking of poo poo, man i hated potty training when the kid was shiting in their trainers/undies
my younger one is getting to that age soon to start potty training, i hope it's a lot smoother than with the first one

Our nearly 3yo toilet trained a few months ago - fortunately she'd been cargo culting the bathroom experience for a while, so no poo filled training undies. Some wet ones, but she's picked it up pretty quickly.

(She used to strip off, sit on the toilet for 2 seconds then proudly announce she had either poo'd or pee'd, clearly having done neither. It took her a little while to figure out that everyone was doing SOMETHING ELSE when we went.)

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Elissimpark posted:

Our nearly 3yo toilet trained a few months ago - fortunately she'd been cargo culting the bathroom experience for a while, so no poo filled training undies. Some wet ones, but she's picked it up pretty quickly.

(She used to strip off, sit on the toilet for 2 seconds then proudly announce she had either poo'd or pee'd, clearly having done neither. It took her a little while to figure out that everyone was doing SOMETHING ELSE when we went.)

during mine’s potty training pippin was a run to the toilet, at almost 5 she’ll occasionally wet the bed but she’ll on her own just use a wipe and put on some night time training ones and finish the night and I’m like you can get up to potty

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Rubble is surrounded by antifidos!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Ergh, I'm glad its PJ Masks as the annoying kid's show in our house. Still don't like it but could be worse.

(The original French name is so much better: Les Pajamasques.)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
helpfully pj masks is so loving formulaic even kids get bored after awhile

now Miraculous, that poo poo stayed for awhile

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Yeah, I'm not sure why the 5yo picked up on it, its pretty dull.

Normally, she gets into odd stuff like Bread Barbershop or educational things like Number Blocks.

Or Love Monster, which has one of the most ear-wormy theme songs ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkeno7aVGVI

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I think I've posted about paw patrol a dozen times but I've seen at least 100 episodes, and fortunately both my kids are over the show...because it's terrible.

But the things to understand about paw patrol is that Chase isn't technically a cop, Marshall isn't a fire fighter, Rocky doesn't work for the sanitation department. They are all private contractors. Mayor Goodway, who represents the well meaning but completely incompetent neo-liberal (aka the democrats) has basically farmed out all of the cities services to a private contractor i.e. the paw patrol. In 100+ episodes I've never seen or heard any mention of an Adventure Bay police department or fire department or any other proper city service. So Chase has even less oversight then actual cops, and Ryder is making bank on this poo poo cause Mayor Goodway calls the paw patrol for every loving thing.

Francois's boat is stuck? Paw Patrol
Cat in a tree? Paw Patrol
Chickaletta missing? Paw loving Patrol

Now across the way in Foggy Bottom you have Mayor Humdinger who obviously represents the FYGM wing of the republican party. The dude is openly corrupt to the point where is he just swiping poo poo off tables and cheating at even the most mundane competitions like a bake-off or dance party or whatever. No one seems to give a gently caress and at the end of the day it's more money for Humdinger, gently caress you.

Paw Patrol is a gold mine for Nickelodeon for all the toys they can market off it, but it's easily the worst Nick Jr cartoon. And now I saw they started up a new show in the most blatant Paw Patrol zombie clone ever...Deer Squad!

Fortunately between Disney+, Hulu, Netflix and now Peacock which i picked up for the Harry Potter movies, I never actually have to watch either of those.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
important to note in this analysis that the State Dept federal building is also located in Foggy Bottom

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I don't think this is just the nostalgia talking but when I was a kid Nickelodeon had an amazing lineup of animated and live action shows, and now almost everything I've seen from Nickelodeon in the past 10 years is garbage.

Spongebob is still pretty good and somehow survived. But I saw a couple episodes of Kid Danger or whatever tf it is and it was unbearable.

This from the same network that 30 years ago gave us Clarissa Explains it all, Salute Your Shorts, Pete & Pete, Rocko's Modern Life, hey arnold and probably a ton of others that I won't spend to much time trying to think about at 1 am

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

looking forward to showing my kid Pete & Pete and Hey Arnold someday. they’ve aged well.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
my kid who has been able to balance on a bike I took the pedals off for months is so stubborn about pedals. I tell her that she’ll be more comfortable and go faster and use less energy she even sees kids her age pedaling around and she just flat out tells me she’ll never ever put pedals on. she was biking with another kid and the other kid zooms off on pedals and my kid is like so loving what I’m just doing my thing, like I’m glad she is her own person but for once can she just be influenced by another kid?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm done spending money on bikes for my kids. they don't give a poo poo enough to learn and I don't have a bike myself so they don't really have much to model after.

that said, they love skateboarding.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
you know the scene between Assistant Principal Vernon and John Bender where he gives him two additional months of weekend detention because Bender won't back down and just do what he's supposed to do?

I just did that with my kids but it was over picking up Lego and the result was they lost a half hour of video game time.

I always hated that scene but I gotta say, those kids sure got owned. so I get it.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Taima posted:

what a weird thing to say about a thread that has been going on for months

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I guess I’m grateful that my kid prefers MLP to the dog cop show. At the same time, it has a very, very confused message about racism that just raises more and more questions the more you think about it.

Less grateful for our flooded bathroom. Our kid is potty trained and we thought was independent enough to now use the bathroom entirely independently. Queue me walking into the bathroom 20 minutes later to find it’s been flooded and the water was under the floorboards out in the hallway so those had to be ripped up as well. Fortunately it was on the first floor.

My spouse and I still don’t know what happened other than the toilet overflowed and our kid must have just kept flushing. We don’t know why she didn’t want to tell us we it started to overflow. Usually she tells us about every little thing in tedious detail and we’ve been trying to cultivate an atmosphere of “you can come to us with anything.”

TL;DR: I got owned by my kid.

Pulcinella has issued a correction as of 04:16 on Jul 27, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think I finally got my soon to be four year old hooked on a classic Danish children's show (Kaj og Andrea) instead of Paw Patrol and Blaze. It's just so much better, both in terms of not being ultra American propaganda crap, but also in teaching the kids to play and sing. Also the puppet characters are behaving like actual children. The frog spends a couple of minutes telling how brave he is and that he doesn't need any anesthesia at the (pretend) dentist, but he is apparently in pain the second he has to open his mouth. It's very relatable.

There's a bit of classic gender roles in there that's less cool, but overall, I highly recommend it (fluency in Danish required).

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

So my kids are older than most itt and curious about the world. Anyone know a good 9/11 doc to watch with a smart ten year old, that is maybe critical of foreign policy too? They understand the twin towers fell down because of a plane crash but beyond that I don't know where to start... maybe a Frontline or something?

Please don't give the hacky yakkity sax answer.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Another Bill posted:

Please don't give the hacky yakkity sax answer.
You can't stop me from recommending Loose Change
(and Luke's Change)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

HootTheOwl posted:

You can't stop me from recommending Loose Change
(and Luke's Change)

I was going through my old DVDs last week in the process of cleaning out stuff I haven’t touched in years, and for some reason I have two (2) copies of this. Zero memory of where they came from or ever actually watching them. :tinfoil: