Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/gpeyrol16/status/1416327598980968448?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BillyGoodmanJr/status/1416334087879602179

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Biden most have done some old school anti-Slavic bigotry when Zelensky asked if Ukraine could get a roadmap to join NATO

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

gradenko_2000 posted:

they're almost certainly going to fall into the trap of running purely on CHINA BAD, DUTERTE = CHINA PUPPET = BAD, which is going to kill them with voters

that’s interesting! you post a lot of Filipino posters complaining about China, I figured it was a very popular opinion there. glad to know it isn’t really

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

that’s interesting! you post a lot of Filipino posters complaining about China, I figured it was a very popular opinion there. glad to know it isn’t really

yeah I post a lot about people in local social media freaking out about China because these people are insanely propagandized and I hate them, but it's worth noting that during the 2019 mid-terms, the liberal candidates for the Senate went hard on "Vote for us so we can take back the West Philippine Sea" and every single one of them ate poo poo and lost

it's very much not something that's going to win an election, no matter how badly the middle-class wants to think it is

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i assume it the phillipines equivalent of democrats running on russiagate

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

checked out that Ukraine tweet and Huh https://mobile.twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1415950755584958465

is the russian communist party still controlled opposition? I vaguely remember hearing them having some issues with Putin recently

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

FrancisFukyomama posted:

checked out that Ukraine tweet and Huh https://mobile.twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1415950755584958465

is the russian communist party still controlled opposition? I vaguely remember hearing them having some issues with Putin recently

Zyuganov won in 1996 but was told if he contests the election due to US interference there would be a civil war

he caved and has been the patriotic opposition at least since 2000
but the party is made up of many good communists and real opposition will only come from their ranks

They have institutional weight and are aligned with china

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

brugroffil posted:

I know little of 20th Chinese history beyond basic Wikipedia level and would like to know more. Any recommended books, podcasts, websites or whatever?

https://peopleshistoryofideas.com/

It's not finished yet, but this podcast is the best I've found for a comprehensive history of the Chinese revolution by an actual historian

You might also check out Red Star Over China by Edgar Snow which covers a period of history before the Communists took power (1936-1937ish). It's a classic and very popular book. Fanshen by William Hinton is also very popular among lefties and covers land reform from 1945 to 1948.

If you want a broad overview of some five decades of 20th century China, try Maoism and the Chinese Revolution: A Critical Introduction by Elliot Liu, although personally I found it to be a bit dry

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mila kunis posted:

i assume it the phillipines equivalent of democrats running on russiagate

yes, except it's even more pathetic because at least Russiagate had the Mueller report to at least substantiate SOME of the claims that there was Russian election interference

here it's just "well the Chinese MIGHT do this", and that's all the "proof" anyone needs, and when the liberals lose next year, guaranteed there's going to be zero introspection and it's just going to be "the voters are just too loving dumb for democracy to work"

or like, today's hot topic is getting people to watch Netflix's "How to Become a Tyrant" and people are going "oh my god all of it fits so much!" - and while there's a lot to be criticized about Duterte, if he's already planning to step down from power after June 2022, even if he plans on running as a Vice President, and even if it's his daughter that's the front-runner for being his successor, that qualitatively does NOT make him a tyrant, when put up against the likes of, say, Idi Amin or Adolf goddamn Hitler!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

Biden most have done some old school anti-Slavic bigotry when Zelensky asked if Ukraine could get a roadmap to join NATO

Maybe he did promise him Ukraine gets to join NATO, but immediately forgot about it?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So Philippines president and vice president are not voted in as a team right. The VP can be from the opposition party? Does the VP have any executive power at all? Is it like the President roll in India and Singapore, completely ceremonial?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

So Philippines president and vice president are not voted in as a team right. The VP can be from the opposition party? Does the VP have any executive power at all? Is it like the President roll in India and Singapore, completely ceremonial?

Yes, the Vice President is voted-on separately from the President.

___

The VP does not have any kind of executive power at all. ""Traditionally"" they're assigned a cabinet position:

* Salvador Laurel, VP from 1986 to 1992, served as Foreign Affairs Secretary while serving as VP. He resigned this position in late 1987 due to "fundamental differences" with his President, Cory Aquino, and was a do-nothing VP for the rest of the term

* Erap Estrada, VP from 1992 to 1998 (later winning the Presidency in the 1998 elections) was the head of then-President Fidel Ramos's anti-corruption task force

* Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, VP from 1998 to 2001 (and stepped-up as President after Erap Estrada's ouster) was Secretary of the Department of Social Welfare and Development while serving as VP

* Teofisto Guingona, VP from 2001 to 2004, was the Foreign Affairs Secretary while serving as VP

* Noli de Castro, VP from 2004 to 2010, was the Housing and Urban Development Chairman (HUDCC)

* Jejomar Binay, VP from 2010 to 2016, was also HUDCC. He very publicly and acrimoniously resigned this position in mid-2015, so he could try and juxtapose himself against the Liberal Party.

* Leni Robredo, our current VP, was also HUDCC. She was effectively fired from this position in December of 2016, less than five months into the appointment, because of the perceived acrimony between her as the standard bearer for the Liberal Party, against Duterte. This was despite her minimizing her critiques of the administration.

The Office of the VP does have a budget allocated to it every year that's used for whatever outreach and aid programs the VP wants to engage in. Notably, Robredo has been using this budget, as well as funds raised from her using her public platform to petition for donations, to donate PPE, provide computers for students doing distanced-learning, and more recently a roving vaccination bus. It's not much, but as a form of direct material aid with lots of media visibility, is probably the most actual good she's been able to do in a while.

___

Because the VP and the President are voted-on separately, and because people don't know that the VP does not do anything and has effectively no power beyond what the President will afford them, what usually happens in elections is that folks will try to "balance" their vote, selecting a conservative President with a liberal VP, or the other way around. I know of a lot of folks who justified their vote for Duterte by thinking that Robredo would provide some kind of counter-weight, which obviously is not how that poo poo works.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is it

this is all their "proof"

Rear Admiral Rommel Jude Ong

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lobster shirt posted:

Rear Admiral Rommel Jude Ong

"Rommel", or even "Erwin Rommel", is a name that pops up way more than it really should among Filipino kids born in the 80s or earlier to what I assume are dads that got way too into pop culture WW2 history

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

I know Jude is also just a regular name but the juxtaposition of a Nazi general's name and the German word for Jew is just... lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
India has a Chief Minister (state governor) Stalin, who was named after Stalin.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
unlike nazis, stalin was good tho

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

truly there is no more disappointingly named person than lenin moreno

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Top City Homo posted:

Zyuganov won in 1996 but was told if he contests the election due to US interference there would be a civil war

he caved and has been the patriotic opposition at least since 2000
but the party is made up of many good communists and real opposition will only come from their ranks

They have institutional weight and are aligned with china

yea Zyuganov himself sucks a big ol butt but the party as a unit is solid.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1416825053182824456
https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1416825060795600902
https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1416825380707655684
https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1416825395517796362

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I love the 'they tried to make me turn in my Quran so I hid it in a river but they dredge the river every night for Qurans and I left my ID in it so they got mad at me' story, it's literally just a FW;FW;FW email level insane lie.

Like...Id Kah is still there...you'd think if they were cracking down on Islam with such brutality they'd bulldoze the mosque that keeps getting targeted by extremists right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Wait doesn't Xinjiang also have the Khotan mosque? Like, the mosque built by the loving emir of Afghanistan???

For gently caress's sake Xinjiang mosques have a recognized unique style in the Islamic world and are often held up by China as a cultural touchstone! How can you claim they're 'forcing people to give up religious items'??

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
The idea that the Quran is illegal in Xinjiang is such an obvious loving lie I'm amazed it got past this guys handlers. Usually the Atlantic or Wapo coach these people to not come across as flimflammers. You have to wait until they self-publish a book or go on Istiklal or whatever jihadi media outlet for the crazy to ooze come out.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I hear that China requires all security personnel in Xinjiang to grow nice, twirlable moustaches and to speak with exaggerated german accents at all times.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
hmm I wonder who this guy is

quote:

In the mid-1990s, Izgil was detained in a labor camp for three years for carrying allegedly sensitive documents, including newspaper articles about Uyghur separatist attacks, on an attempted trip to study in Turkey.

quote:

Izgil has been active in speaking out against persecution against Uyghurs by the Chinese government. He gave a speech at US State Department’s "Ministerial to Advance Religious Freedom", an event focused on addressing religious persecution around the world.[2] The event was attended by Vice-President Mike Pence and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and resulted in the release of a "Statement of Concern" about religious persecution in China, among other countries.[2]….

Izgil is now a film producer at Radio Free Asia, which has been active in documenting China's persecution of the Uyghurs.[19][20]

:thunk:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Zedhe Khoja posted:

The idea that the Quran is illegal in Xinjiang is such an obvious loving lie I'm amazed it got past this guys handlers. Usually the Atlantic or Wapo coach these people to not come across as flimflammers. You have to wait until they self-publish a book or go on Istiklal or whatever jihadi media outlet for the crazy to ooze come out.

It's not like their audience is going to do anything about them blatently lying.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

lol cool post u got there Izgil

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

India has a Chief Minister (state governor) Stalin, who was named after Stalin.
he was born a few days after stalin's death i think. he's friendly with the CPI(M) too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwPlnWhnncA

https://twitter.com/SitaramYechury/status/1405558266629791747

https://twitter.com/CPIMBankura/status/1415607692819767297

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

Wait doesn't Xinjiang also have the Khotan mosque? Like, the mosque built by the loving emir of Afghanistan???

For gently caress's sake Xinjiang mosques have a recognized unique style in the Islamic world and are often held up by China as a cultural touchstone! How can you claim they're 'forcing people to give up religious items'??
there are many different muslim ethnic groups in china and uighurs arent the largest lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

comedyblissoption posted:

there are many different muslim ethnic groups in china and uighurs arent the largest lol

it's so loving funny that these people keep trying to make it some 'uh it's because China hates Muslims' thing because yea if that was true those 'camps' would probably be full of a lot more people than Uighurs, who are a a fraction of China's ethnic groups with Muslim traditions! Like, they know there's no actual answer to 'wait why would China do this' so they grabbed the first one that most people would find morally objectionable but didn't bother actually checking if it made sense.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Can someone explain what's going on here, because it looks like going after Hui Muslims will be the next attack line

https://twitter.com/GroseTimothy/status/1416503249755119619?s=19

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Not So Fast posted:

Can someone explain what's going on here, because it looks like going after Hui Muslims will be the next attack line

https://twitter.com/GroseTimothy/status/1416503249755119619?s=19

can't read the sign so maybe it illuminates things better but that's literally the most famous and historic mosque in China, and constantly undergoes renovation and rebuilding efforts to maintain it so I'd need more than 'construction is happening in a place that gets restored every few years' and 'here's some guy's drawing' to base an opinion on.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's also almost certainly a heritage site (or whatever the Chinese version of that designation is), so if they were removing multiple major features from it I think it'd have to be pretty public and major news

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

sexpig by night posted:

it's also almost certainly a heritage site (or whatever the Chinese version of that designation is), so if they were removing multiple major features from it I think it'd have to be pretty public and major news

it says the dome and minaret were added in 1998?

White kids think every dome and minaret in the world is some kind of ancient star gate when most of them are just gaudy concrete and rebar decorations built with free Saudi/GCC money.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
reminds me of some giant 300ft Buddha that sits in the southern tip of hainan thats like the second tallest Buddha in Asia or something. locals know it’s a dumb concrete garden ornament that some real estate developer built in like 2007 for unknown reasons but it probably looks like some kind of world heritage site to random whites

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Throatwarbler posted:

it says the dome and minaret were added in 1998?

White kids think every dome and minaret in the world is some kind of ancient star gate when most of them are just gaudy concrete and rebar decorations built with free Saudi/GCC money.

I thought it was during the reconstruction post WW2, but yea either way it's not some ancient part of the structure considering it's from like the 1400s

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
yeah, that was a big thing with the mosque "demolitions". the government would tear down some lovely 30 year old gatehouse and you'd get brown moses on twitter crying about the loss of ancient heritage because it matched in their mind what a mosque is: aka a structure largely informed by disney's animated film "aladdin".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
of course libs would think that demolishing stuff from the 90s is cultural genocide as that's where they themselves have stagnated