Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Welcome new goons, props to those who took part in dropping hundreds of 150 shells on top of the Colonial forces trying to take the scar tonight, we may lose this war but we sure made those guys and that BB Network they attempted to set up pay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
The enemy had to endure like 5 hours of uninterrupted 150mm artillery fire from 2 guns. Warden wouldn't be in Reaching Trail if goons hadn't manned the guns and held the city of Elksford when they did. We blunted them so badly that disorganized newbies managed to push them close enough for our spotters guide our shots directly into their BB.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Did some late night suicide armor rushes as the newbies were too reluctant to use the tanks and we were running thing on tank ammo. It works shockingly well mostly because the newbies are eager for blood when the enemy loses their defenses and there were people coming with us in tanks too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So war 79 closes with a hard fought Colonial win, we made them pay for their extended tour of the Warden lands.

I imagine on Friday or Saturday War 80 will kick off. This one is bringing with it the new tank armour system that will shake up some combat and our own siege tank to crack concrete bunker bases.

Now then which region shall we focus to logistic/fight in for the first part of the new war? Farranac Coast or Endless Shore?

Also a reminder, the SQUAD will need to be reformed but the GOON regiment is permanent. You are still in GOON and always will be unless you leave it. You will need to invited to a new squad in the coming war.

Also, new players this website here is your friend: https://foxholestats.com/

If you aren't burned out and want to keep playing, don't be afraid to tutor the newer players at home island or on map during the resistance phase for the rest of the day.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How long did that war last?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

cr0y posted:

How long did that war last?

The one that just ended? Just over two weeks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also a reminder, the SQUAD will need to be reformed but the GOON regiment is permanent. You are still in GOON and always will be unless you leave it. You will need to invited to a new squad in the coming war.

Another point for the new people; If you’re out soloing and the opportunity to join some other squad full of bad dudes comes up, do it. Getting back into Goon Squid once that op is over is comically simple. Go shoot mans with pubbies, it can be fun. I went and learned a bunch about building with some 82DK guys one night. This game has a pretty good community even outside of Goons. It’s remarkable.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

(Noobie here). Do you eventually get used to the locked top-down camera? I keep subconsciously trying to middle mouse button to tilt like the C&C days and I find myself getting lost in my own point of view. Been a long time since I poured some hours into an RTS though so maybe I'm just rusty.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cr0y posted:

(Noobie here). Do you eventually get used to the locked top-down camera? I keep subconsciously trying to middle mouse button to tilt like the C&C days and I find myself getting lost in my own point of view. Been a long time since I poured some hours into an RTS though so maybe I'm just rusty.

Yeah it feels normal (to me) after one evening session of it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

You get used to it, I just turn it once behind me or run in the opposite direction.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
As a new player I'm looking forward to the reset tomorrow!

Did we have a pretty strong consensus that we're going to focus on the Endless Shore area, or was Farranac still in the running?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Do we know when the war starts? :black101:

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Game is hilariously fun. Spawn in a high pop area, grab a rifle and 2-3 clips, and run with everyone else to the front for an endless meat grinder until the smallest of gaps opens up and a human wave forms to overwhelm the line.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

cr0y posted:

Do we know when the war starts? :black101:

code:
War 80 will begin on Friday at 12PM EDT.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So my PC might be in the shop for the coming week, might miss the opener so kick arse and all that.

Oh, and now trenches cannot be smashed and we can park our anti-tank push stuff into them and fire over the lip too.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Looks like the sticky nerf is to stay. Gone are the days of busting colonial jeeps with a bike, a sticky and your fists. :sigh:

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
:siren: 18 minutes since war start and we're almost at 4500 players :stonkhat: :stonklol:

This war gonna be a good one

also

https://www.foxholegame.com/post/update-45-release-notes

No major surprises or unexpected things

edit: now pushing 5000 and every single available map has a queue of 20-40 peeps, ell oh loving ell :haw:

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 16, 2021

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Is being a goon a strict requirement for goonsquad? My best bud is a gamer and wants to join in but isn't a goon.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

cr0y posted:

Is being a goon a strict requirement for goonsquad? My best bud is a gamer and wants to join in but isn't a goon.

With the game as is and the age of the forums too sometimes we cannot be choosers.

We accept non goons as long as they aren't as bad as the guy in your avatar text or worse. Chill left wing leaning human beings, not chud monsters. They can join ONE and be target practice for us.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
14 player queue for the shortest region lol

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Privates are freezing to death left and right.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Gonna be hopping on in a bit :black101:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Once I sober up a bit and get done with this one last logi run, I'll try to find someone to send me an invite.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

My eternal reaction when a Corporal on the front tells me I've not seen nothing yet after their mob at sand bags have been pushed away by one charge with HE's...

Krynn
Dec 12, 2005
Professional Lurker
Someone dropped a resource crate on me with a crane and I participated in a large group rush tossing grenades at a garrison house. Pretty fun game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

CAF knocked it out of the park today. Free, convenient fuel everywhere I went.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It's nice to not have to worry about Diesel, though when tanks appear that is where you get suspect nerds and lazy types deciding to take the tankers away for a ride.

So a few tips for the new players.

Pressing spacebar centers the map on yourself.

ALWAYS pick places where you can spawn when you are at the tail end of even a medium trip.

G is GOON SQUAD chat, T is proximity local.

Right clicking the map when in squad/regiment in general gives you access to a single pin to mark things.

F1 menu is your friend, left hand side shows all the players in the region (so you can mute the one music streamer) and right if you are in GOON everyones regional location.

If you see a good bunker base that has proper laid out defenses, make it your temporary spawn and on the right hand panel when you open the menu up you should vote for stuff on the left hand side.

If you see a enemy player in bleed out safe on our side on in a low danger area, resist the urge to end their suffering and wait until they bleed out. They become critically wounded, the player model on it's side. Carry this one to the nearby field surgery tent (look at your map to find a green cross or make note of them when you pass) and get some shirts spawned.

Throw all anti-personal grenades behind the target if you can, so they are forced to run straight into gunfire.

Focus the white line on the torso, worry about accuracy when you have the edge or time and don't wait for the icon to close up if things are dangerous.

Lean against hard cover to get the white shield. Unless they got a MG or SMG the shield will keep you mostly protected.

Put the bayonet on (it has it's own item box) and press F. You now have a gun knife that instant kills and the only downsides is you need to fix when you swap things in primary weapons/zone into another region/step or go into water.

Only pull two magazines or take two grenades, anything else the dead provides.

Pick things out from the packs and drop them in a ground to make a temporary box so they stay a bit longer in world.

Put dropped items from the dead in blue boxes, if not blue boxes seek out an empty truck and take them back to a nearby BB/Relic Base.

You can surpress a Foxhole AI/Player by just shooting at it. Then people can throw HE grenades at it to kill it off.

Take a radio when you go and do logistics.

When gas is unlocked, get gas mask and filters always.

Gas mask filters are automatic, and load up in your inventory when you have them. But empty gas masks first then filters, if you have filters before the mask you need to take the mask off and wear it again to load this.

Three players max are needed to build things/sections of bases.

Slit trenches are used for BB or actually hard to reach terrain. Build Foxholes and Sandbags to support pushes.

Never uncrate the stuff you make then crate it up, you've removed the private status and now it can only be put in the local seaport and depot.

Wrenches unlock locked vehicles, if they are squad locked though you will not be able to put things inside them. Make sure the vehicle is abandoned first and has nothing inside before taking.

You can squad lock stuff if three players in a squad are in the same region as you.

Stay off the midde of the road and walk on the sides so trucks can get logistics to the front.

Always commend logistics unless they are embassingly obviously shallow and lame attempts to get commends (tiny amounts of things, a handful of things, things the place has already in good numbers)

You get commends killing or doing logistics. Press F1 to spend them on fellow goons/pubbies who play the game and aren't wankers.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 17, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Lean against hard cover to get the white shield. Unless they got a MG or SMG until they attempt to flank you cannot be hurt by their bullets.

Only three players are needed to build or repair things/sections of bases.

The rest are very good but these two are both wrong.

Rifles can still shoot through full cover even straight on - it's just a low chance to variance over the cover modified even harder by the full cover reduction chance to be hit. You're not immune just unlikely to be hit*. This all goes out the door if the person shooting at you knows how to properly aim past you at terrain/objects that put the white line over top of your head and at full accuracy which removes the variance requirement and is then a straight multiplier against the full cover which will kill a person in ~6 shots (total)

For building three is indeed the max but repairing is infinite.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 17, 2021

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I always assumed the odd shot that got you was either a bug or flanking move now.

But yes, also this war we're attempting to focus out efforts as a group towards Endless Shore. So bring logistics to the bases and town hall at Saltbrook channel, fight and try and take Old Jack Tar or scrap and store BMATS in a possible Goon box we might set up in the depot if you can get in.

Defend Wellchurch too. If there are any BB Networks set up in this region enable spawn and vote for the garrison stuff on the left hand side if they need it.

Also vote in the town hall too of the city to set the place up properly. Getting the Garrison Houses up as quickly as we can will ensure they won't swamp us with numbers.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It's just another reason the aiming system needs to be completely reworked. Aiming directly at a person goes centre of mass automatically which makes trenches annoying - while aiming well past a person lets you clip shots much higher up on the model which is how you hit people in said trenches or over sandbags or whatever. This is also incredibly useful for spraying with SMG/HMG/whatever as aiming past your target whenever they're down/uphill makes it more likely to clip other enemies as well. This works for all weapons, including tanks if you want to shoot over defenses/infantry. Special note to it making direct-fire RPGs much better (just be careful not to over shoot)

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also vote in the town hall too of the city to set the place up properly. Getting the Garrison Houses up as quickly as we can will ensure they won't swamp us with numbers.

Also wardens are quite heavily overpopped :ssh:

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 17, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SeanBeansShako posted:

Wrenches unlock locked vehicles, if they are squad locked though you will not be able to put things inside them. Make sure the vehicle is abandoned first and has nothing inside before taking.

Wrenches also remove AT mines and barbed wire. Takes awhile, so you probably shouldn’t try it under fire, but can be invaluable.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rynoto posted:

Also wardens are quite heavily overpopped :ssh:

Huh so now we've got the numbers for the moment wasting time in home region doing the snake thing and being annoying.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
That's just the nature of long queue times. Soon you'll hear all the people complaining about 50 second respawn times. An endless cycle.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I spent my two or three hours cat herding goons into the squad last night and I am dead certain that was the same weird crawling parade each time I stopped by home region.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Rynoto posted:

For building three is indeed the max but repairing is infinite.

Three people can repair a single section of bunker, it's highly plausible to outrepair 120mm and 150mm fire from multiple guns but only if people are spread out on different sections of the bunker core. Also easier to kill people rushing bunker bases if the people inside aren't clumped up.

You need some fearless and constant logi deliveries to keep the repair work up when a dozen people are hammering away though.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I should try to see if I can jam a jeep into the concrete BB. It would make pulling BMATs out easier. Ditto ambulance.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Non-truck vehicles don't have the bonus pulling speed of trucks but you can definitely fit motorbikes into bunker bases. KGG have jammed all sorts of things into T3 bunkers.

e: Wreckage is basically the same as the old relic piles. Be on the lookout for metal piles with near roads.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 18, 2021

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Main thing I dislike about early stage of the war is how all the crude oil gets snapped up and there's people waiting by the component mine in line with their trucks.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Danann posted:

Main thing I dislike about early stage of the war is how all the crude oil gets snapped up and there's people waiting by the component mine in line with their trucks.

The mines were a system put in place when the active pop was ~800 at peak and it shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Solid work in providing and fighting in Endless Shore goons, once those G-Houses are online in Saltbrook and we got some good BB Networks in place we can relax.

Tonight we've secured Old Jack Tar. Now we dig in and see what happens.