Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

As a random note, I always find shortened anime/VN names hilarious. 素敵な (sutekina) is literally just something like "lovely."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Acerbatus posted:

Having finished Sutekina I am left with a few impressions:

It's the worst kind of disappointing, the kind that really threatens to become good and interesting and then just doesn't. The actual writing that's present is actually generally fairly good! There were a few lines jokes that were good, some good glimpses of characterization, but that's the thing: "What's present."

It's written like only every fifth page is actually there with how fast it moves. I get not everything is going to be the length of FSN but this was just ridiculous. It has the most abrupt endings I have ever seen in anything, to the point I looked up a video to make sure it didn't crash. The way it portrays the main character's mental illness starts off being surprisingly empathetic and grounded. It raises the idea it's not really her fault that she's so hosed up. But then it also fetishizes it with the most bizarrely abrupt and short sex scenes since Ride to Hell. I honestly wouldn't even mind if it was going somewhere with that, but every route ends in the time it takes you to blink. To put it in terms of the five act structure, it's got exposition and a climax but no rising or falling action or actual conclusion. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire thing was written in one sitting. It raises interesting ideas then just doesn't do anything with them.

I didn't find it as edgy as I expected it to be. It barely even tries to really try anything dark.

The art is nice but I guess with how short it is, they decided they didn't need to bother with sprites for any other character even if they were important to the plot (such as it is).

oh and they somehow hosed up and didn't cap the framerate lol

Yeah that's probably more than anyone cares to read about a lovely 90 minute edgy VN, but it had the potential to be something I really liked so it's depressing to me, okay? :smith:

i enjoyed reading because i was curious about the game and all i heard was mixed things about it either not being good at handling themes of abuse or just being review bombed by chinese users for having it so i couldn't really get a clear picture of any of it

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

The Colonel posted:

i enjoyed reading because i was curious about the game and all i heard was mixed things about it either not being good at handling themes of abuse or just being review bombed by chinese users for having it so i couldn't really get a clear picture of any of it

Probably the most interesting thing it does is comment on the player/MC relationship in this kind of game by basically having "you" play as one of the MC's twitter friends and guide her into doing what you want to see her do, but even that isn't exactly new territory in VNs at this point.

Acerbatus posted:

It raises the idea it's not really her fault that she's so hosed up. But then it also fetishizes it with the most bizarrely abrupt and short sex scenes since Ride to Hell.

There's an 18+ patch that makes those scenes longer but uh if you thought they were fetishistic in the regular version then they get a lot worse on that front. It's a pretty uncomfortable tonal shift in a game that's otherwise actually pretty decent about understanding abusive relationship dynamics and presenting them in a way that doesn't (usually) feel overly exploitative.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Thuryl posted:

Probably the most interesting thing it does is comment on the player/MC relationship in this kind of game by basically having "you" play as one of the MC's twitter friends and guide her into doing what you want to see her do, but even that isn't exactly new territory in VNs at this point.

hell that kind of thing was an optional framing device in the drat strawberry panic game. and it's something i tend to have mixed feelings on cause it can be used in conceptually interesting ways but as like, a criticism or w/e it feels extremely weird to me cause like man i don't view it as a parasocial thing or w/e i just wanna see characters interact and grow in cool ways.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thuryl posted:

There's an 18+ patch that makes those scenes longer but uh if you thought they were fetishistic in the regular version then they get a lot worse on that front. It's a pretty uncomfortable tonal shift in a game that's otherwise actually pretty decent about understanding abusive relationship dynamics and presenting them in a way that doesn't (usually) feel overly exploitative.

Yeah I heard, didn't think I'd bother since it was so fuckin bizarre. If it was just supposed to be a fetish thing from the start that'd be one thing, but it really doesn't seem like that was the intent. Then again I have no idea what the intent was at this point.

Thuryl posted:

I sort of expected it to go somewhere, and then it... Didn't?

I haven't seen anything like that in a VN myself though so I got really confused by how it wanted me to pick dialogue for someone else.

The Colonel posted:

Oh, okay. :unsmith:

It is kinda weird on the mental health angle because it immediately shows the MC as faking cutting herself on twitter for attention, but then whips around and as mentioned goes on to have a more nuanced view on mental illness than most pieces of media and also starts to explore the unhealthy relationship dynamic; The two of them start to become codependent and the MC makes the other girl delete all her contacts except her, that sort of thing. But then it goes for the fetishy yandere thing before abruptly stopping because the writer got shot or had some other abrupt stop that made him lose interest.

I know I shouldn't be upset by some random eroge not being great but... It just sucks to see when it's the sort of thing I really like and there isn't a lot of.

Guess I'll get started on muv-luv or heart of the woods since I got those on steam sale too.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Oh, another yuri VN worth checking out is A Summer's End. It has absolutely gorgeous art and solid writing that creates a strong sense of the place and time it's set in (Hong Kong in 1986, right before it was handed back to China).

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 11, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I finished DR V3 but there's not much I can really say I feel. I enjoyed the ending and and bits and pieces of the last few cases but there's too much VN to get to those points that I did not care for all that much. It turns out that if you don't really like the first two VNs of a franchise it's probable you're not going to be over the moon for its third either.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Acerbatus posted:

Morbid curiosity lead me to try Sutekina kanojo no tsukurikata.

Other than Kindred Spirits are there any actually decent yuri VN?

lady in mystery lady in mystery lady in mystery lady in mystery lady in mystery lady in mystery lady in mystery lady in mystery lady in mystery lady in mystery lady in mystery lady in mystery lady in mystery lady in mystery lady in mystery lady in mystery lady in mystery lady in mystery

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man there's this big VN hole on my PC now that I'm done with DR V3... If only there was another VN about mysteries that I recently got on a Steam sale that could fill it...

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Man there's this big VN hole on my PC now that I'm done with DR V3... If only there was another VN about mysteries that I recently got on a Steam sale that could fill it...

Yeah too bad there is nothing that fits the bill. I think Steam hasn't had any good new mysteries in over 2 months. And its too bad there aren't any yuri mysteries out there. Or Korean ones.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
murder rage rising

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Is it bad that the first thing I thought when I saw the Steam Deck was that I can finally finish Umineko because I'll be able to play it whenever?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is it bad that the first thing I thought when I saw the Steam Deck was that I can finally finish Umineko because I'll be able to play it whenever?

yes, just get a remote desktop app and do that with your phone or tablet or something, it's how I finished muv luv

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I can't possibly see how that could be a bad thing

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

yes, just get a remote desktop app and do that with your phone or tablet or something, it's how I finished muv luv

...I feel like a loving idiot :doh:. Yeah, I never use steam link, but that would be a pretty good use!

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Sorry, double post, but questions for Umineko people: after the Chapter 2 Tea Room, how the hell is Beatrice redeemable in anyway? I see a lot of people talk about how Beatrice is the best and such a great character, and I'm gonna say that, generally speaking, I don't think there's a way to redeem "person who tried to feed a mother their own daughter".

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Read the rest of the game

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Fair enough, just needed that reassurance honestly. I was going to proceed regardless, but wanted to at least know that was addressed significantly.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

You still have like another 120 hours to learn all about the varying layers of like 90% of the cast. I can't guarantee you'll necessarily change your tune about that character, but there's still a lot to see and contextualize

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Sorry, double post, but questions for Umineko people: after the Chapter 2 Tea Room, how the hell is Beatrice redeemable in anyway? I see a lot of people talk about how Beatrice is the best and such a great character, and I'm gonna say that, generally speaking, I don't think there's a way to redeem "person who tried to feed a mother their own daughter".

Just going to file in here that in the Studio Deen anime adaptiation they animated this scene. :captainpop:

Also keep going.

EDIT: Right I just finished 428 Shibuya Scramble and how I have never heard of this before. I guess it's another casualty of the PSP, but how did it never come up when people were hyping 999 back in the day. Has an absolute banger of a theme too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKQIRaAsFMw

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 18, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I never thought about it but I wonder if ryukushi played Phantasmagoria. Although I guess it could just be a titis adronicus thing

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

EDIT: Right I just finished 428 Shibuya Scramble and how I have never heard of this before. I guess it's another casualty of the PSP, but how did it never come up when people were hyping 999 back in the day.

it was Japan-only until it got localized in 2018 is how

game fuckin rules though yeah

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

dmboogie posted:

it was Japan-only until it got localized in 2018 is how

game fuckin rules though yeah

Man where are fan-patches when you need them.

It is fantastic. The premise is you time-skip between a group of five extreme weirdos and try to keep them alive and well throughout a kidnapping turned terrorist plot. Make the wrong decisions and things go all fate/stay night on you (there are so many bad ends, other Chunsoft games aren't even close).

It is so creative with its use of photo and video too. Real gem.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 18, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
interesting thing to know about 428 is that it's a bit of a spiritual successor to an older chunsoft sound novel on the saturn called machi, even has some small references back to it

hope chunsoft will try rereleasing some of their way older stuff in english some day

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
> : (

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

No idea if it helps given the context, but the first option has a character meaning kill, the second one "pity," and the last one love

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It would have, though I had gotten an answer elsewhere before having to trial & error it anyway. But still, c'mon!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
is that lady in mystery? i do not remember that during my play through, mysterious

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It is and it has been, shall we say, a somewhat buggy experience at times.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Nate RFB posted:

It is and it has been, shall we say, a somewhat buggy experience at times.

oh yeah you are, getting way worse stuff then i ever got??? the only things untranslated i ever saw were like some titles on the glossary entries. i don't get how or why it would be different for you, weird.
e: i dunno maybe i am just forgetting this

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 19, 2021

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I just got to the [chapter 3 Umineko spoiler] coronation of Eva as the new Beatrice and it's incredible how Umineko has trained me such that I find it terrifying and don't know why.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

MiddleOne posted:

Man where are fan-patches when you need them.

It is fantastic. The premise is you time-skip between a group of five extreme weirdos and try to keep them alive and well throughout a kidnapping turned terrorist plot. Make the wrong decisions and things go all fate/stay night on you (there are so many bad ends, other Chunsoft games aren't even close).

It is so creative with its use of photo and video too. Real gem.

Found it really cool that in this game and steins;gate they had clickable words in the text box that'd take you to a codex that'd explaini some unique cultural thing/concept. Very useful for people new to V/N's.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1644150/OshiRabu_Waifus_Over_Husbandos_Loveordie/

over/under if this sequel will also heavily use "thots" in translation

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snooze Cruise posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1644150/OshiRabu_Waifus_Over_Husbandos_Loveordie/

over/under if this sequel will also heavily use "thots" in translation

None because that's not what over under is!!!

Is the thots thing a criticism of the first ones translation in general or more just a joke?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Acerbatus posted:

None because that's not what over under is!!!

Is the thots thing a criticism of the first ones translation in general or more just a joke?

criticism, thots came up a lot. i mean waifu is also in the title so just bad choices all around. teeny bopper was used a few times but that doesn't really bother me like thots lol.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Snooze Cruise posted:

criticism, thots came up a lot. i mean waifu is also in the title so just bad choices all around. teeny bopper was used a few times but that doesn't really bother me like thots lol.

The store blurb describes the art (which is pretty drat good) as yurilicious

I wonder who was in charge of marketing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah the tl reads fine overall but it goes kinda far with some, choices, in places

it's a shame cause curse of kudan is from the same company's all-ages vn branch and its tl is pretty solid. still dunno why that one's not even on steam

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

yeah the tl reads fine overall but it goes kinda far with some, choices, in places

it's a shame cause curse of kudan is from the same company's all-ages vn branch and its tl is pretty solid. still dunno why that one's not even on steam

There's some nudity in one of Curse of Kudan's epilogue scenes. I could see Steam having problems with it; it's not something that could easily be cut out since it's right there in an important ending CG, and adding an "adult only" tag to the game defeats a lot of the purpose of being on Steam in terms of discoverability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
that would be kinda funny considering the purpose of the new label they made for OshiRabu