Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

A Big... Dog posted:

My daughter is 8 days old and over the last 24 hours decided that sleep is for the weak. Managed to get her down for about two hours total today. I just need some reassurance that this is fine (or at the very least, normal) while my brain slowly disintegrates.

Beyond that, we're having the most fun. She's gorgeous, obviously, and I've every confidence that she'll grow up to be World President. My wife is doing such an amazing job and I couldn't be prouder of them both.

Looking forward to posting in here more!!!!!! When I'm tired and nothing works!!!!!!!!!!!! I looked at the "new parents" subreddit (devouring any and all parenting content right now) and boy do a lot of folks in there have garbage husbands

No one ever told us that newborns have insanely short wakewindows, and should be taking a nap like once every 1.25 to 2 hours. We made it to like the month checkup until we explained our daughters crappy sleeping habits, and someone was like, oh, try tracking wake time and putting her down at the first sign of fussiness in that 1.25 to 2 hour window. With ours, even an extended wake window could disrupt a whole few days of sleeping quality. Shes still a terrible napper, but once we started tracking, it really helped.

My 6 month old has discovered scratching things with her index finger rules, and he favorite thing to scratch is the cuticle on my thumb as we’re holding hands before she sleeps :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

2 y/o got RSV.

And a swollen lymph node.

Then a mosquito bit him right on the swollen node.

Still sleeping like poo poo. Still not eating. Still withholding poop. 4 doctors in 3 days.

I need a fuckin drink I tell you what.

Hey guess who's at the doctor right now with a swollen lip.

Just woke up that way. No idea why, no bug bite, not food related. Went to bed fine and woke up swollen like a balloon.

I need lots of drinks.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Yeah I’ve found that when my little baby got cranky and loud and didn’t want to sleep it was usually that they’d been awake too long.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Hadlock posted:

So how does teething work

Baby keeps moving hand towards her mouth, presumably the teething process aches/is painful. She got her first tooth uh, maybe a week or two ago, and seems like this is number two. Are all the teeth painful or just the first ones (probably wishful thinking). Do we just dose infant tylenol when she looks like shes in pain, or just dose every ~8 hours or whatever it says on the package. It's hard to figure out pain tolerance for adults that speak english, I have no idea what the baby is going through. Would be nice to have a game plan for teeth #3-....20? 26?

At least for our little dude when the tooth was about to come in his cheeks would get real red and puffy and he'd complain about hard foods.

We didn't give him anything except an infant Tylenol dose at bedtime, and only if he had swollen cheeks. Usually that meant 3-4 nights per tooth right around when it was coming in.

During the day we just made sure he had hard teething toys and was getting enough cold water to drink.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Hadlock posted:

So how does teething work

Baby keeps moving hand towards her mouth, presumably the teething process aches/is painful. She got her first tooth uh, maybe a week or two ago, and seems like this is number two. Are all the teeth painful or just the first ones (probably wishful thinking). Do we just dose infant tylenol when she looks like shes in pain, or just dose every ~8 hours or whatever it says on the package. It's hard to figure out pain tolerance for adults that speak english, I have no idea what the baby is going through. Would be nice to have a game plan for teeth #3-....20? 26?

All teeth are supposedly painful coming in, but molars, which will come in last are going to be the worst. I would say to give her Tylenol if she’s cranky and seems to be in pain.

My baby has 4 teeth at 9 months, but she’s usually not typically cranky, so we’ve never given her Tylenol for teething.

Get baby some teething toys that you can put in the fridge/freezer. It’s also hard to beat a wet washcloth that’s been put in the freezer. Babies love to chew on washcloths.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Every old family member within earshot of my kid being cranky: welp he must be teething the only reason a baby is in a bad mood ever

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

My 3 year old just told me to go back to bed; he's having Momma time right now.

This rules

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Renegret posted:

Hey guess who's at the doctor right now with a swollen lip.

Just woke up that way. No idea why, no bug bite, not food related. Went to bed fine and woke up swollen like a balloon.

I need lots of drinks.

This happened to my husband a couple years ago and he never figured out what it was. He just took a bunch of Benadryl and eventually it went away.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My toddler is attached to me to the point where it’s affecting every part of our life. What the gently caress can I do to get her off me? Any outing results in her just climbing all over me and crying until she’s held. She won’t even acknowledge her mom at this point.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My toddler is spending the weekend at grandma’s. Last night my baby slept for three hours IN A ROW, then two hours, another two hours, then an hour at a time until I decided to roll out of bed at 11am. I’m feeling pretty fantastic today, it’s been a long time since I’ve slept for more than 45 minutes or so at a time.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

meanolmrcloud posted:

No one ever told us that newborns have insanely short wakewindows, and should be taking a nap like once every 1.25 to 2 hours. We made it to like the month checkup until we explained our daughters crappy sleeping habits, and someone was like, oh, try tracking wake time and putting her down at the first sign of fussiness in that 1.25 to 2 hour window. With ours, even an extended wake window could disrupt a whole few days of sleeping quality. Shes still a terrible napper, but once we started tracking, it really helped.

This reminded me, I wanted to give a shout-out to the Little Ones sleep app, which we’ve been using since our son was about 3 months (he’s 9 months now). The schedules are structured around maximum awake times for a given age. It has “troubleshooting” for basically everything that can go wrong with baby’s sleep, so you always know when to put them down. No joke, the first day we used the schedule, he went from catnapping all day to sleeping 2-3 hours at a time. Best $60 I’ve ever spent.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The staggered dose of Motrin and Tylenol is very helpful if you’re trying to get through the night. We did that for our kid’s fever and pain through teething. Usually 2/3 days until they poke out of the gums and it’s “smooth” sailing from there.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alterian posted:

This happened to my husband a couple years ago and he never figured out what it was. He just took a bunch of Benadryl and eventually it went away.

Problem is that it's not responding well to benadryl. He had some before nap, took a 4 hour nap, then woke up even worse. Now his temple is a little swollen too.

Doc called it another bug bite even though it appeared in his sleep and after the last one we stripped all the bedding.

If it's not better by tomorrow we're going to the ER. But wife is trying to convince me to go now and she's not entirely wrong

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I used to live in a series of 100 year old houses that were... poorly sealed (you could pick up access panels cut through the wood flooring in the closets and see bare dirt) and would wake up with all sorts of weird spider bites that would swell up where I got bit, with no obvious bite marks. Then I moved to another state and the spider bites stopped happening immediately.

But yeah if you're concerned, just go now, the doc will be awake and you won't have to burn up a whole sleep cycle over it when your wife forces you to go do it at 3am in a panic anyways

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

femcastra posted:

Any suggestions for removing vomit smell from a fabric couch?

Tergazyme. It's Oxiclean's scientific/industrial cousin. Runs about $50 for a 4 lb box which lasts forever since you only need like a teaspoon of the stuff. If that doesn't work, might as well set the thing on fire.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Alterian posted:

I had something similar happen to me late last year. Turned out to be a reaction to various laundry products that i'm ok with in small doses but since we were dealing with an endless parade of blow outs we were using more than usual.

Didn't go away until i literally rewashed all my clothes and even then i'd have an occasional reaction when my daughter would climb in our bed in the middle of the night in PJs we hadn't rewashed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

2DEG posted:

Tergazyme. It's Oxiclean's scientific/industrial cousin. Runs about $50 for a 4 lb box which lasts forever since you only need like a teaspoon of the stuff. If that doesn't work, might as well set the thing on fire.

I'm moderately curious how to came to find out about this stuff

#leathercouchcrew

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

Hadlock posted:

I'm moderately curious how to came to find out about this stuff

#leathercouchcrew

I used Alconox, the company's namesake detergent, pretty frequently during undergrad research. My husband also used it and other specialty detergents in grad school. Gotta get that glass clean or it'll gently caress up your devices.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

2DEG posted:

I used Alconox, the company's namesake detergent, pretty frequently during undergrad research. My husband also used it and other specialty detergents in grad school. Gotta get that glass clean or it'll gently caress up your devices.

I spent a summer helping a grad student with trace atmospheric mercury deposition research. Everything got washed with Alconox, acid washed, then acid washed in a dedicated mercury-free bath, then plasma cleaned. I did a lot of dishes. We also used Alconox for decontaminating sampling equipment for hazardous site cleanup. It's good stuff.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sharkytm posted:

trace atmospheric mercury deposition research.

Getting waaaaay off topic here, but how much mercury is in the atmosphere :confused: vapor pressure of mercury doesn't seem like an issue in earth's atmosphere, is this byproduct of oil refineries other industrial processes etc and presumably impacts people living downwind from these facilities

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

Hadlock posted:

double postin'

we bought one of these Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer for $32 and it was by far and away one of the better baby purchases

today wife's sister comes over, picks up baby, "wow she's feeling really warm" wander over to the thermometer we keep in the bowl on the coffee table (yes this comes up that often) swipe the baby's forehead, dab behind the ear, 98.9F

Instantly shut any fever discussion poo poo down immediately. Thank god.

Just have to say I hardcore second the temporal or skin thermometers. I'm a nurse and before baby was born I was all "we will use axillary or rectal thermometers only, the skin ones are bullshit" hahahaha that didn't last too long while the baby's screaming at having something shoved in his armpit and it takes for-loving-ever to read. Like all converts I am a total zealot now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

boquiabierta posted:

Just have to say I hardcore second the temporal or skin thermometers. I'm a nurse and before baby was born I was all "we will use axillary or rectal thermometers only, the skin ones are bullshit" hahahaha that didn't last too long while the baby's screaming at having something shoved in his armpit and it takes for-loving-ever to read. Like all converts I am a total zealot now.

:hf:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I still haven't used a skin thermometer that is very accurate (we went through quite a lot). Easy to use but never matched up with the rectal takes from our pedi.

The best we have found from the past 7 years is the Braun ear thermometer. It still only takes a second or so to take the temp and it's very accurate. It's been no more than 1 degree different at most from our pedi rectal takes. And most times it's right near it.

It's $40 and I buy one for every friend that becomes a new parent. It's amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MUK6M82/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_C46PJ4GWSYC157FPGCRD

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

BonoMan posted:

I still haven't used a skin thermometer that is very accurate

Same.

I have that same temporal thermometer as posted above. The other day it gave me a 104 temp on a kid running no fever.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Renegret posted:

Same.

I have that same temporal thermometer as posted above. The other day it gave me a 104 temp on a kid running no fever.

Grab the ear thermometer I posted above. It's the best. Takes readings in a second or less.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Seconding/thirding/whatever the ear thermometer, skin ones got tossed out pretty quick.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

BonoMan posted:

Grab the ear thermometer I posted above. It's the best. Takes readings in a second or less.

We already have it :)

I used the temporal one because I left the ear thermometer upstairs and I was too lazy to go up to get it. So after it said 104 I was like, uhhhhhhh hold on one second, and I ran up there real fast.

I didn't try the temporal a second time but ear was a normal 98 so we went with that.

I don't doubt the accuracy of a temporal reading, our pediatrician uses them just fine, I just doubt the accuracy of consumer grade ones.

e: ear is do easy to use that I can hand it to my 2yo, he'll stick it in his own ear and get a perfectly good reading.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Our 3mo daughter just slept all night two nights in a row and I feel like a new man. Except I’m yawning incessantly while studying this morning and maybe it’s because the material is very dry and I just want to get to the practice exams, or too much caffeine. No clue

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

Getting waaaaay off topic here, but how much mercury is in the atmosphere :confused: vapor pressure of mercury doesn't seem like an issue in earth's atmosphere, is this byproduct of oil refineries other industrial processes etc and presumably impacts people living downwind from these facilities

Very very little. Thus the crazy decontamination procedures. This was in upstate NY, looking at deposition from coal power plants.

On topic chat: I can actually post in this thread! Our first kid was born on Friday morning. Good Lord, it's awesome. Everyone's healthy and happy, kiddo only lost a few ounces in the first 2 days, the pediatrician said to keep up the great work and that he's perfect. I didn't cry when she said that. Nope. Not at all. My wife's been a rockstar. Breast feeding is way harder than I thought.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 18, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Now our 3yo has awakened from his nap and it’s like the loving Exorcist in there and I’m pretty sure things are floating around the room and he just threw a priest against his door

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone else’s kid randomly start hating baths?

Our 2.5 year old has always loved them but the last two days he screams and fights against going in. The water hasn’t been too hot or anything-maybe just a fun new phase to deal with?

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

nwin posted:

Our 2.5 year old has always loved them but the last two days he screams and fights against going in. The water hasn’t been too hot or anything-maybe just a fun new phase to deal with?

Yeah man my 3.5 year old has been going through this phase for like, 6 months? It sucks.

Some days a couple of bath crayons work to entice her, sometimes bubbles, special one time only toys, special music. Other (rare) times we wrestle her naked and dump her in screaming.

When she’s not filthy I can sometimes live with sponging her down or skipping a night.

Transitions are a big trigger for tantrums in our house, and bath time is the biggest transition for moving from play time to bedtime so I guess that’s why.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The naked wrestling baths are the best because then we're done in 3 minutes, instead of me sitting there watching him play with the water for an hour

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

nwin posted:

Our 2 year old did that briefly but it lasted like a week. We were prepping for it to be some terrible phase but it just went by like nothing.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

nwin posted:

My two year old changes her mind about baths every week or so, she’s either loving it or screaming to be all done. I’ve found switching up her bath toys helps a little bit when she’s not digging bath time, but if she’s determined not to have bath time it’s screaming no matter what. I try to at least hose her down with the shower head to rinse off sweat/pee but you would think I was torturing her.

She’s with her dad this weekend so I actually got to take a real bath with my baby for the first time, he seemed to like hanging out in the tub with me, it was very relaxing.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Our soon-to-be 20 month old had a growth spurt this weekend and we're having to relearn where we can keep things on the table since the previous safe zone is no longer safe.

We're also starting to look in to forward facing seats since his legs are now too long. My wife's worried about it since it's a little too early but i'm not sure when the cut off is re him not being able to straighten his legs.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

citybeatnik posted:

We're also starting to look in to forward facing seats since his legs are now too long. My wife's worried about it since it's a little too early but i'm not sure when the cut off is re him not being able to straighten his legs.

This comes up fairly often, and they're fine with their legs bent.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

Our soon-to-be 20 month old had a growth spurt this weekend and we're having to relearn where we can keep things on the table since the previous safe zone is no longer safe.

The legs thing isn’t an issue, I promise. Most kids actually prefer being able to cross their legs rather than having them dangling. Both of my kids rear faced until 4 and were perfectly happy- and it really is much safer!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Our kid is (maybe) in the process of having her first successful use of the potty. She independently jumped up out of her bath, flipped up its lid, and sat down. So far it's just a bunch of grunting assisted by dry wiping with toilet paper as if it's a magic ritual to summon poop. Yeah, I'm liveblogging it.

e: Halfway (?) through she's decided she needs more to complete the ritual so she ran to the dresser, put on pants, and then went back to the potty so she could pull them to her knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

Renegret posted:

The naked wrestling baths are the best because then we're done in 3 minutes, instead of me sitting there watching him play with the water for an hour

Gonna piggyback off this and add: is anyone else’s kid playing with water by pouring it out and refilling something constantly?

And does anyone else’s kid put all their bath toys on the edge of the tub in a row? That’s really weird but my son does it every single night