Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

He's good at merging human and machine. Billy was also there in both situations but is good at surgery. Neither really specializes in medicine.

Rusty could make a horrific army of cyborgs. Like full on saw blades sticking out of forearm with no way to retract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Phenotype posted:

Rusty tried to cure the Goliath serum and came up with ranch dressing. And iirc his attempted cure for the Palaemon project mutations was mostly just roofies. I think he's got flashes of greatness here and there but is a bit of a blunderer unless he's possessed with the inspiration to, like, isolate the gay gene.

I've always taken that as Professor Impossible lying for the sake of his own ego

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

I've always taken that as Professor Impossible lying for the sake of his own ego

Seriously. Have you ever seen ranch dressing that is yellow and watery?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Seriously. Have you ever seen ranch dressing that is yellow and watery?

Exactly, though I bet it did smell like it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, and Hank did have the Goliath serum beard and flushing and then didn’t explode, Professor impossible was just being a dick.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Maybe it’s both. It turns out the cure to the Goliath serum was actually ranch dressing the entire time.

Like how club soda can dissolve an otherwise-impenetrable electromagnetic barrier.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

Rusty tried to cure the Goliath serum and came up with ranch dressing. And iirc his attempted cure for the Palaemon project mutations was mostly just roofies. I think he's got flashes of greatness here and there but is a bit of a blunderer unless he's possessed with the inspiration to, like, isolate the gay gene.

He didn't make ranch dressing. You can't take every single line of dialog you hear and assume it's writer's bible level canon. The character saying that had every reason to belittle everybody involved in the cure. Also, ranch dressing isn't orange and is made out of food, not random superscience chemicals. And if they did make ranch dressing out of superscience chemicals instead of food ingredients, then holy hell, that's some top tier superscience.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think it’s safe to say that as far as the Venture Bros. goes, the correct answer is also the stupidest answer.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Maybe it’s both. It turns out the cure to the Goliath serum was actually ranch dressing the entire time.

Like how club soda can dissolve an otherwise-impenetrable electromagnetic barrier.

Club Soda is just the code name for a time reversal spray.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Between all of his various creations that have panned out I think it's generally fairly reasonable to say it's pretty clear that Rusty is legitimately a good super scientist in theory, just incredibly lazy and equally myopic. He has the skills to pay the bills, but lacks both the knowledge of where to apply himself, and even worse the desire to really bother.

But we've generally seen that in the rare instances where he does bother to genuinely try, he succeeds, although whether or not his success is also financially viable is another story.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Rusty suffers from imposter syndrome even tho he’s actually capable.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Doc just wants to write Broadway showtunes, that's all

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TK-42-1 posted:

Rusty suffers from imposter syndrome even tho he’s actually capable.

I mean, you don't have imposter syndrome if you aren't capable, you are just an imposter then.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Rusty also eventually figured out how to make a reliable teleporter after working on it for years. (and then had it immediately taken away from him, which I imagine hasn't helped his motivation, especially since I'm pretty sure he realised he wasn't really welcomed into the Illuminati for it. Rusty's easy to trick because he has no real sense of normality, but he generally figures out when something is too good to be true eventually)

Probably doesn't help that I'm pretty sure super-science tends to involve generous helpings of bullshit, random experimentation, plagiarism and drug use. Inventing random poo poo that may or may not work properly and tends to be impossible to replicate is the whole job of a super-scientist.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
thought this was cool.

https://twitter.com/jvagle/status/1413275550685310980?s=20

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The kid underwater kicking off the window is directly referenced in an episode, I think it is ProBlem. Pretty sure it's when Venturetron is directly linked to the ProBlem.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pixaal posted:

The kid underwater kicking off the window is directly referenced in an episode, I think it is ProBlem. Pretty sure it's when Venturetron is directly linked to the ProBlem.
There's that entire underwater scene in... Assassinanny 911, I believe? and it might be there also, the layout is shown that way and I think Dean bangs on the window to get someone's attention or something?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Yeah that exact scene plays out one of the boys knocks on the window

That is Jonus's office. The Blue Morpho sex tape was recorded there

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
My science is... potent.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And what wasn't Venture Bros definitely looks like the Batcave.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I need a good intro episode of this show for someone who grew up on Johnny Quest and is interested because of that. I’m thinking Buddy System or Self Medication because of the references to old shows like that; but if anyone has better ideas I’m all ears.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I need a good intro episode of this show for someone who grew up on Johnny Quest and is interested because of that. I’m thinking Buddy System or Self Medication because of the references to old shows like that; but if anyone has better ideas I’m all ears.

Maybe DON'T show him the episode where Race Bannon dies.

"Self-Medication" might work since it'll give him the most "well-rounded" view of Action Johnny and Dr. Z, as well as a good primer as to what the show's about without bludgeoning him with permanent characters.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 19, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Maybe DON'T show him the episode where Race Bannon dies.

"Self-Medication" might work.

I mean, all the episodes with Johnny have him as a strung out maniac so Race Bannon dying is small potatoes.

It’s actually for my mom, my brother and I were talking about the show on a family zoom call the other day and she was asking me about it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, but as I said in the edit, it's probably the most well-rounded you see Action Johnny in the series.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, but as I said in the edit, it's probably the most well-rounded you see Action Johnny in the series.

Yeah, you’re right there. It does some fun stuff with the villain dynamics too, with the Dr Z stuff and the henchmen going out to the movies and all that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Self-Medication seems a good intro in general since it basically spells out the main themes of the show.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Counterpoint, show them the Season 2 opener for that sweet sweet Aquagen that they had to pay so much money for. They’ll hate it, but the some is a bop.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the best intro episode is ghosts of the sargasso

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

DoctorWhat posted:

arrrr, that be the GHOST PIRATE rule

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I mean yeah it pretty much has everything. If you're not just going to skip season 1 and let them get back to it later then start with Ghosts of the Sargasso.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Tag Sale is always good it's the tenth episode so pretty early. It's super fun to watch with a new person because of all the background characters that get turned into fully fleshed out characters over the years. I feel like this is where the show's continuity really feels like it starts to get going.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Escape from The House of the Mummies is a great intro for a Jonny Quest lover because it both serves and subverts the adventure tropes so well. It's a great showcase for what Venture Bros. is and loves. Sargasso would also be good.

Tag Sale is better if someone is coming from a Marvel or G.I. Joe background. Self Medication is good for someone who digs kid detectives.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Self Medication is good for someone who digs kid detectives.

It's the kind of episode Sergeant Hatred would've loved if he, you know, weren't... in the show....

(At least, he would've loved it before his Nomolesterol therapy and subsequent mastectomy.)

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

DoctorWhat posted:

This was always how I introduced people. It has so many good lines in it, plus is nicely self-contained.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Sataere posted:

This was always how I introduced people. It has so many good lines in it, plus is nicely self-contained.

It was part of the first pair of episodes I watched and was great.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I remember watching that episode after I started listening to Bowie, and being amazed how every single thing in that intro flashback was a Bowie reference.

And of course that was just the beginning…

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mega64 posted:

I remember watching that episode after I started listening to Bowie, and being amazed how every single thing in that intro flashback was a Bowie reference.

And of course that was just the beginning…

That episode was basically how me and my older brother were introduced to Bowie

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you'll have to take my word for it but the show is improved so much if you coincidentally happen to have the same musical taste as doc hammer

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

uber_stoat posted:

you'll have to take my word for it but the show is improved so much if you coincidentally happen to have the same musical taste as doc hammer

It is I, one of the fans who had actually heard Mors Syphilitica via mp3s shared by members of alt.gothic on "the Use Net"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kesper North posted:

It is I, one of the fans who had actually heard Mors Syphilitica via mp3s shared by members of alt.gothic on "the Use Net"

I read this in Dragoon's voice and it made me :unsmith:.